PDA

View Full Version : Ford GT40 MKIV @ Sonoma

Terrell Olvera
31-05-2015, 15:49
This car is a handful. With the default tune and the AI set to 60 I am always 7 seconds off the pace with consistent laps.

Lowering the fuel, playing with tire pressures, shortening the gears, increasing downforce, and adjusting the diff has helped me get to 2 seconds off the pace...still not good by any means.

With the diff, I have increased ACCEL to 90 and decreased DECEL to 35. Not too sure how to adjust preload and I haven't done anything to the springs, dampers or alignment. I was hoping someone here could give me some pointers specific to the Ford GT40 MKIV on road courses like Sonoma, Imola and Watkins.

Terrell Olvera
31-05-2015, 20:42
UPDATE: I adjusted the ACCEL to 20 and was able to control the car much more easily in slow corners. I guess I had the diff settings backwards. I didn't mess with preload much, just left it at 80. Nothing else changed aside from what was mentioned above. I'm still slow, so there is a lot of room for improvement, but at least I can qualify near the front with the AI set to 60.

TrevorAustin
31-05-2015, 22:10
If the real car is actually this awful it's off my bucket list, yiu you can barely even shopping trip it round imola.

Terrell Olvera
01-06-2015, 01:20
Change the tire pressures to 1.05 Bar front and 1.15 Bar rear and try these diff settings:

Acceleration Lock 20
Deceleration Lock 35
Preload 60

That seemed to make the car much more enjoyable. Hope it helps.

jgaganas
01-06-2015, 05:45
This car is a handful. With the default tune and the AI set to 60 I am always 7 seconds off the pace with consistent laps.

Lowering the fuel, playing with tire pressures, shortening the gears, increasing downforce, and adjusting the diff has helped me get to 2 seconds off the pace...still not good by any means.

With the diff, I have increased ACCEL to 90 and decreased DECEL to 35. Not too sure how to adjust preload and I haven't done anything to the springs, dampers or alignment. I was hoping someone here could give me some pointers specific to the Ford GT40 MKIV on road courses like Sonoma, Imola and Watkins.

Struggled also a lot with this car/track combo (and AI drives this car like it's handling a GT3).

But i'm gonna try your setup suggestions...

OppaErich
01-06-2015, 10:15
Hehe, didn't try again after 3 events with this nightmare. Felt like a displaced oil tanker. I'll try this settings when career mode was fixed.

danowat
01-06-2015, 10:20
Gotta love this car, if it's not understeering, it's oversteering, it's like trying to wrestle an eel.

John Hargreaves
01-06-2015, 11:57
I tried this one at Sonoma last night and I agree, it's a tough one. I think the up and down nature of that track doesn't help, it seems to destabilise the car a lot. It would probably not be so bad if you were alone on track, but I tried starting at the back and trying to make my way through the AI on 60% - very difficult to stay on the tarmac, kept getting into tussles with the AI and getting punted off.
I'll try your settings tonight and see if I can do any better.

I think on longer more open tracks this car does better, I guess it was designed for Le Mans after all.

John Hargreaves
01-06-2015, 17:44
Change the tire pressures to 1.05 Bar front and 1.15 Bar rear and try these diff settings:

Acceleration Lock 20
Deceleration Lock 35
Preload 60

That seemed to make the car much more enjoyable. Hope it helps.

That seems to make it a bit more stable, but I'm still 4s per lap slower than AI even on 60%. Wow. Need to find a way to ask it nicely to go round corners :rolleyes:

SpaceMachine
01-06-2015, 18:04
Thanks for sharing the diff setup, but I find it much harder to control now whilst on the power...

I really want to like this car, but can't drive it for toffee :grey:

jgaganas
01-06-2015, 18:09
I really want to like this car, but can't drive it for toffee :grey:

At least i would feel better if the AI would also struggle with "the eel" :P

milliotseb
01-06-2015, 19:57
Are you using the gamepad or a wheel?

Because my first try with the GT40 MKIV on sonoma was hell (using the Xbox controler with 1.3 update on defaults settings).I think I went out of track 10 times in a lap :) Ruf CTR3 is also really hard to drive.

I may try your settings next time I start Pcars

John Hargreaves
01-06-2015, 21:30
I had a fiddle about and got to this point with the setup

The lsd settings are from Terrel's post above.

It's more pointy and feels a bit more agile, less wallowy and the back end is better behaved. I was a bit naughty with the brakes, as they aren't great on this car, so I'm running abs with a 50:50 bias and 100% pressure to maximise stopping power (I do find it hard to tell when the brakes are locking, and abs will stop the rear coming round to meet me). Maybe not one for the purists, but I paid for the game so I guess I can do what the hell I like.
Does feel better to drive though, you can push it a bit more and not have to be so tentative with it. I'm a second closer to the AI and have a more stable vehicle with which to fight them.

SpaceMachine
01-06-2015, 21:39
...so I'm running abs... ...Maybe not one for the purists, but I paid for the game so I guess I can do what the hell I like...

Dualshock4 + no assists :D

I guess there's no point in pretending to be a purist (and making things impossible) if I'm driving with a gamepad :confused:

Terrell Olvera
02-06-2015, 00:19
If you are still having trouble under power try setting acceleration to 15. Then if it needs a little more try lowering preload to 40.

This game is really making me want to better understand vehicle dynamics as a whole, I hope more features are added to the api in the future so we can track damper behavior via telemetry.

I dont quite understand the preload, or rather, how preload affects the driving characteristics. As of now, it seems like it is more for fine tuning the diff after you have set the other diff settings to your liking.

jgaganas
06-06-2015, 13:30
I also found that Mr. Spades FFB Files helps a lot with the handling of this car.

Give it a try here (if you haven't already): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files

AI still whoops my behind, but at least i'm capable to drive this car decently...

Vitamin R
07-06-2015, 05:25
I wrecked it intentionally to get out of that race. No way that car is as bad as it's represented.

MULTIVITZ
07-06-2015, 10:23
If you are still having trouble under power try setting acceleration to 15. Then if it needs a little more try lowering preload to 40.

This game is really making me want to better understand vehicle dynamics as a whole, I hope more features are added to the api in the future so we can track damper behavior via telemetry.

I dont quite understand the preload, or rather, how preload affects the driving characteristics. As of now, it seems like it is more for fine tuning the diff after you have set the other diff settings to your liking.

You know how you try to pull away on a slippery surface and when you let the clutch up too fast the tyres slip because you introduced the power too quickly, but you know it will pull away if you were more careful? Well the LSD is the same, read my diff post for more info. Using chase cam you cam see when you've reached a locked state (2 trails of tyre smoke), preload locks them quicker and firmer. If your cars dampers and ARBs are out, then the car will not accept high diff settings through wheel spin. So a planted front end and good weight transfere(front to rear, diagonal) is key to a car accepting performance enhancing diff settings. Basically go as high as you can before problems appear, like hot tyres from restricted yaw and excessive oversteer in tighter corners. An LSD will have a threshold setting that it starts to work in the use your giving it. Sometimes it takes ages to find the threshold in an unfamiliar car or speed of track. Viscous lock can be used to extend the speed and torque range the diff works at. Off throttle oversteer can be caused by many things.

sbankus
18-06-2015, 20:01
Thanks very much for the set up.car is now controllable even with the DS4 !

sbankus
18-06-2015, 20:03
Thanks for the great setup, Gt40 is now fun to drive.

KamyKaze1098
19-06-2015, 11:15
Guys check your telemetry to see if you don't have clipping.

I'm experiencing huge FFB Issues on both wheel and car setups defaults. For me it's undrivable. Maybe why some of you are are having same issues??

See video of clipping:

http://youtu.be/IqUHcGTjJVA

Also see thread reporting issue:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31800-FFB-Issue-with-Ford-MKIV&highlight=ford+mkiv

John Hargreaves
19-06-2015, 11:19
Thing is we have plenty of settings in the game to fix that. I've not tried myself yet, but reducing the tyre force either in the overall settings or the individual car setup should allow us to bring it down below the clipping point.

robmob
19-01-2016, 10:02
Didn't work for me, although it was a good starting point. I put the slow & fast bump both, both front and rear, to their weakest settings. Also, I pushed the slow & fast rebound up a notch for the front end. Seems the car is much better behaved, won the race at 75% AI.
What I also found is that this car is very susceptible to brake handling. In turns 2 and 3a you can get the car to slide into the turn by going off the brakes abruptly. In turns 7 and 11 one should go off the brakes very very gently as to not upset the car and getting uncontrolable oversteer. Also, heel and toe!
Scored low 1:46's consistently with Logitech G27 and no assists. Took me a few tries to win though, as I'm not as consistent as I want to be.

Good luck!