PDA

View Full Version : Why is rain so demanding on the GPU and can (will) it be optimized?

Pr3t3nd3r
31-05-2015, 15:57
Hey there!

I was wondering why is a rain effect so demanding on a GPU especially the thunderstorm? It can take from 30% to 40% more GPU on the same track with the same car Oo

Will you work on optimizing it or this is a closed case?

Ty for your answers!

Cheers! ;)

Edit: Sorry for the mistake in the title. It's a GPU and not a FPU :)

Pr3t3nd3r
01-06-2015, 09:39
Btw :)

Since it is confirmed pCARS will have DX12 implemented does that mean that effects like rain will be less demanding because of DX12 better optimization? :)

I am really wondering what benefits will bring DX12 to pCARS...

(if someone is willing to answer because I know you ahve lots of things to do before answering some other questions :))

NemethR
01-06-2015, 09:49
It more demanding, because you need to calculate the rain drops, the spay, the reflections, etc.

If it will be optimised, I don't know.

Bealdor
01-06-2015, 09:52
Edit: Sorry for the mistake in the title. It's a GPU and not a FPU :)

Fixed. ;)

Reduce particle density and particle effects to get a better framerate.

Pr3t3nd3r
01-06-2015, 10:08
Fixed. ;)

Reduce particle density and particle effects to get a better framerate.

Thank you for the correction and answer :)

Will do that and "eel" with it xD

flymar
01-06-2015, 10:11
It's not rain - the road reflection is heaviest. Going from Ultra to High with Reflections gives nice boost. Also particles, but mainly in chase view. In cockpit the performance hit from particles is not that great.
Will it be optimized - I don't think so. Ultra Reflections/Shadows/Envmap are for the hardware that will be available next year...

Pr3t3nd3r
01-06-2015, 10:26
It's not rain - the road reflection is heaviest. Going from Ultra to High with Reflections gives nice boost. Also particles, but mainly in chase view. In cockpit the performance hit from particles is not that great.
Will it be optimized - I don't think so. Ultra Reflections/Shadows/Envmap are for the hardware that will be available next year...

I have reflections set to low and medium few other things.

Here is the screenshot of my settings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/10go7xhvx2yvx89/pCARS64_2015_06_01_12_22_00_301.bmp?dl=0

It's interesting that on some tracks it has 40% higher GPU usage measured at practice. I understand it hits so much with other cars but beeing a solo rider and hitting GPU usage so much is a little bit weird (at least with my settings :))

And raising some values has almost few to zero percent usage impact. That's why I am wondering how can this be possible...

MikeyTT
01-06-2015, 12:01
...Edit: Sorry for the mistake in the title. It's a GPU and not a FPU...
You can do this yourself for future reference. If you edit your post and go advanced, you can change the title.

...Since it is confirmed pCARS will have DX12 implemented...

Where did you hear that confirmed? Last I recall is that DX12 will provide a bump for DX11 games when running on Win10, but to fully support all the greatness of DX12, you need to change a lot of the rendering model. I don't recall seeing SMS say they are going to do this. Could you post a link please?

Pr3t3nd3r
01-06-2015, 12:42
You can do this yourself for future reference. If you edit your post and go advanced, you can change the title.

Where did you hear that confirmed? Last I recall is that DX12 will provide a bump for DX11 games when running on Win10, but to fully support all the greatness of DX12, you need to change a lot of the rendering model. I don't recall seeing SMS say they are going to do this. Could you post a link please?

OK :) Ty for informing me :)

I asked Ian Bell and he was very kind to response -> http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28596-Optimum-Setting-for-R9-290