PDA

View Full Version : set up for hockenheim national community event? ps4.

ThePla7Maker
31-05-2015, 16:54
hi does anyone have a tuning set up for hockenheim national using the Mercedes 190E. (corrected well spotted vermin :))
I can get into 1 min 34s but cant get any quicker with stock setup. had a little play
with set ups adjusting gear ratios but car seems to want to go sideways when i brake from a straight line.
post your times with the setups if you have any to share. looking for ps4 set ups please.

Iwanchek
31-05-2015, 19:03
I drive stock, bīcoz communtiy is selfish, and did only the lsd moved to 75 and de-acceleration around 35-40...i moved the weight one click to the left from the middle (weight distribution) and iīve tried the toe angle etc...front are -2.7 and rear 2.1 or lower....brake duckt is around 35-40, ride hight is around 75-60 (front-rear) suspenssion is soft, as front so rear, try balancing and playing a bit..

I hope it helps a bit my friend, good luck!

choupolo
31-05-2015, 19:09
Hiya,

Was thinking of starting a similar thread so thanks. I'm on a PS4 controller.

When I started off my best time was just under 1:34 like you. Then I realised many people must be cutting the first corner and going wide at the exit, as if you do it right it doesn't invalidate your lap, and this saves you over a second. You can also go wide at turn 10 (right hander with the blue advertising on run off to the left of the kerb) without invalidating your lap to save you several tenths. It's corner cutting/track extending, but until SMS decide to fix the detection to the white lines, it's the only way to reach the top spot.

So I then managed a 1:31.9 with the stock tune.

After tightening up some of my lines - e.g. optimising a late apex and exit from turn 2, and entry into turn 11 making sure to get over to the right side kerb in order to get the power back on sooner - managed to get this down to a 1:31.6.

Today I tweaked the setup a little, mainly to improve the turn in understeer. My changes included:

- Increasing rear tyre pressures to 1.60 both sides to improve understeer
- Reducing front sway bar 3 or 4 clicks to increase front grip
- Reducing rear downforce to 1 to improve straight line speed and reduce understeer
- Moving final gearing to just under 5 to get to top of 6th at the end of the longest straight
- Reducing brake duct to 50% to help keep brakes hot
- Reducing radiator to 50% increase straight line speed?
- Reduced LSD accel to 25% to minimise the chance of power oversteer on exits (so hard to be gentle on the pad!)
- Moved brake bias forward to 60% (since I was never locking my fronts)

Haven't messed with other suspension bits yet, but I reckon my best time so far is a potential high 1:30. On 1:31.4 now.

The other second would come from being smoother and maxmising track use, but that's lack of skill on my part!

ThePla7Maker
31-05-2015, 19:34
thanks that's great help . seems I have a way to go on default set up before changing anything . I will have a few laps then I will use some of your tuning tips. im also using automatic with traction control only.

iwanchek what time are you doing on those settings?

VarmintKong
01-06-2015, 12:41
Hey all,
Pla7maker, good thread call. I'm assuming you guys are driving the Mercedes 190E and not the BMW E30, since that's what we're running on the xbox. I figure it's just a slip of the tongue due to the similarity of the rides. If not disregard what follows.

I geeked out hard lapping and tweaking yesterday and I really like the way this car feels. I am definitely not fast, but trying to get better. I started out running mid-1:34's and am currently at 1:31.7. I'm trying to run within the track boundaries. I do dive bomb the first corner, but am not allowing myself to accept laps where I go completely out on the left side after. When looking at splits I'm typically around mid to high 23's on section 1 and mid to low 34's on section 2. I would really like someone who's fast to try out my settings and see if it's capable of a fast time and let me know what it lacks or does well. I would also hope that someone who is rowing the same boat as me and looking to improve could jump in and feel it's more responsive than the stock setup; again letting me know what is lacking or what it did well for them.

Here it be (note: I use a controller with no assists):

(Geekin' and tweakin' y'all! Added changes in italics.)

Tires
Front L/R: 1.50/1.50
Rear L/R: 1.40/1.40

Brakes
Pressure: 90%
Balance: 55%-changed to 58%
Duct: 20%

Downforce and bias
Rear downforce: 4.0
Long Weight Bias: 52%

Castor, Camber, Toe
L/R Castor: 6.0- changed to 6.4
Front L/R Camber: -2.8- changed to -2.3
Rear L/R Camber: -2.4- changed to -1.9
Front toe: -0.1- changed to 0.1
Rear toe: 0.0

Height, Spring, Sway
Front L/R height: 65
Rear L/R height: 89
Front L/R spring: 150
Rear L/R spring: 130
Front sway: 80
Rear sway: 40

Damping
Front L/R bumpstop: 20
Rear L/R bumpstop: 16

Front L/R slow bump: 6650
Rear L/R slow bump: 5500

Front L/R fast bump: 4700
Rear L/R fast bump: 2750

Front L/R slow rebound: 10200
Rear L/R slow rebound: 9400

Front L/R fast rebound: 5000
Rear L/R fast rebound: 3600

Differential
Accel: 53%
Decel: 43%
Preload: 40
Radiator: 30%

Best time with above settings but I feel I get better rotation in slow corners with what follows:

Accel: 59%
Decel: 40%
Preload: 60
Radiator: 30%

Final drive: 4.73 changed to 4.81
Brake Map: 0
Restrictor: 80

Thanks all,
VarmintKong

choupolo
01-06-2015, 15:01
Looking forward to running for a few hours tonight from about 9pm UK time (once the kids are asleep!). If you're about we can share tips as we go!

Varmint, so are you going right of the big sausage kerb at turn 1 but slowing enough to avoid going over the exit kerb? I can try your settings out trying to stay within the lines and see what time I can get.

Btw, I also use no assists and manual gears.

ThePla7Maker
01-06-2015, 15:20
thanks varmin for tips. I have done over 50 laps but cant seem to get under 134 even with manual and auto im the same pace. guess everyone seems to be stuck at 131. but I cant even get there :(

VarmintKong
01-06-2015, 17:20
Varmint, so are you going right of the big sausage kerb at turn 1 but slowing enough to avoid going over the exit kerb? I can try your settings out trying to stay within the lines and see what time I can get.

Choupolo, that's exactly what I'm doin'; blipping the brake and keeping it in 6th hoping to come out of the turn above 100 mph. I would definitely appreciate you giving it a run.

Pla7maker, keep at it. It's a pain making the switch from auto to manual, but you'll be glad you did once it clicks.

choupolo
02-06-2015, 21:22
Made some more improvements to the setup and am now on 1:30.550 with another half a second coming for sure.

I've made it so the car consistently turns in well but is prone to slight oversteer on the exit. Following the last lot of changes I did this:

- Final gears are at 4.8
- Stiffened rear sway bar 40 (Front sway soft at 70)
- Decreased rear tyre pressures to 1.40
- Increased front left pressure to 1.70
- Reduced brake duct 25%
- Reduced radiator 5%
- Brake bias 65%
- LSD Accel 40%
- Longitudinal weight bias back 52%
- Brake map 0

Sorry Varmint - haven't tested your settings yet, although many overlap with mine. The game doesn't allow multiple setups so I'll have to write down my own so that I can change them back after! I'll try tonight if time.

VarmintKong
03-06-2015, 19:59
Sorry Varmint - haven't tested your settings yet, although many overlap with mine. The game doesn't allow multiple setups so I'll have to write down my own so that I can change them back after! I'll try tonight if time.

Don't worry about it Choupolo. I've made some changes since I first posted. I hope you'll get around to giving it a spin and hit me with some feedback. Would you mind posting your whole setup, so I can give it a run and have something to compare to?

choupolo
04-06-2015, 18:51
Don't worry about it Choupolo. I've made some changes since I first posted. I hope you'll get around to giving it a spin and hit me with some feedback. Would you mind posting your whole setup, so I can give it a run and have something to compare to?

So I tried your settings. I managed a 1:31.35 with the first corner cut, and trying it like you without going wide I'm about 3-4 tenth slower. So yeah a 1:31.7 is about right.

My first impressions were that the back-end is nice and stable under traction and the brakes stop the car well with no lock-ups. It also rides the kerbs we'll.

It did understeer for me, which hurts getting to a late apex and being able to put full power down early out of turn 2, which I think is the key to a good lap.

I made two small changes - increased rear tyre pressure to 1.5 and reduced rear downforce to 1. This helped with the understeer and straight line speed, after which I did a 1:30.9.

One key thing I guess is that each individual has their own driving style. It might be that you prefer a setup that favours the rear, or maybe like to trail brake. Personally I feel that getting rid of understeer and maximising straight line speed is the most beneficial thing to do in this particular challenge.

I'm away from home atm but I'll post the full setup I did the 1:30.5 with when I get back.

Hope this helps!

Johnnypenso1
04-06-2015, 23:13
Wasn't aware of this thread or I would have posted earlier. This is from my tuning garage on GTPlanet. Last time I checked I was top ten in the legit times on pc with a 1:30.2:

Penso's Garage - Mercedes 190E DTM Tune - 1:30.244 @ Hockenheim National (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/pensos-garage-mercedes-190e-dtm-tune-up-1-30-244-hockenheim-national.328932/page-2#post-10748583)

qbasiz
04-06-2015, 23:35
Wasn't aware of this thread or I would have posted earlier. This is from my tuning garage on GTPlanet. Last time I checked I was top ten in the legit times on pc with a 1:30.2:

Penso's Garage - Mercedes 190E DTM Tune - 1:30.244 @ Hockenheim National (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/pensos-garage-mercedes-190e-dtm-tune-up-1-30-244-hockenheim-national.328932/page-2#post-10748583)

really appreciated you posting you setup, but to me thats not a clean lap (imo). I'm not trying to be a d*ck, you're a fast driver.
But exiting turn 1 and i'm guessing turn 8, you're at least 3 meters off the track on the lefthand side.. You and everybody else (not judging)
Am i just nitpicking here or should this not be a clean lap?

FMS TopSecret
05-06-2015, 02:23
really appreciated you posting you setup, but to me thats not a clean lap (imo). I'm not trying to be a d*ck, you're a fast driver.
But exiting turn 1 and i'm guessing turn 8, you're at least 3 meters off the track on the lefthand side.. You and everybody else (not judging)
Am i just nitpicking here or should this not be a clean lap?

it is only run-off and on the 1st corner the DTM cars use it IRL but i wouldn't say they abuse it, but the game only lets you go so wide even if you dont touch the grass before it invalidates your lap. and for turn 8 if you set yourself up right you dont really go wide of the track and you wont get any benefit if you do.

qbasiz
05-06-2015, 10:08
it is only run-off and on the 1st corner the DTM cars use it IRL but i wouldn't say they abuse it, but the game only lets you go so wide even if you dont touch the grass before it invalidates your lap. and for turn 8 if you set yourself up right you dont really go wide of the track and you wont get any benefit if you do.

Thats not true, DTM only uses the run-off when they try to avoid accidents if there are 2 cars side by side.
In Qualifying you can't leave the tracks with all 4 wheels, they invalidate your lap time if you do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd_-tzdyYTU

HenTheKing
05-06-2015, 23:56
Silly question, I'm on Xbox but I assume it must similar if not the same. How do you access the tune setup for community events? I can't see it anywhere? :(

FMS TopSecret
06-06-2015, 01:02
Silly question, I'm on Xbox but I assume it must similar if not the same. How do you access the tune setup for community events? I can't see it anywhere? :(

you have to tune the car before hand in a practice and then when you go onto the TT or event it auto loads the tune as all tunes are saved to the tracks you tuned them on

HenTheKing
06-06-2015, 22:49
Ah! I see! Thankyou for your help!

VarmintKong
08-06-2015, 11:51
Choupolo, thanks for giving my settings a run and providing me with some feedback. I was having some issues dialing out understeer on entry. I think I just had it cemented in my head that I needed higher front pressure with a RWD car. Thanks for getting me thinking.

JohnnyPenso, I wish ya would've seen the thread sooner. Thanks for linking to your setup. I burnt myself out on this ride for now, but will definitely give it a run in the future. Nice lap on the video linked to your tune.