PDA

View Full Version : External Hardrive

Trumpet
31-05-2015, 17:13
Does having an external Hardrive REALLY improve the framerate issues?
I have read on here so many saying it does but then others say that the xbox Hardrive copes fine it's very confusing,I do now and again suffer the framerate issue normally on Brands going round Druids but not always seems worse in career races and the weather is sunny.
If it is a real solution I might just purchase an external hdd ,I will at some stage have to anyway due to the xbox filling up fast .
Let me know your thoughts on this
Thanks

Mowzer
31-05-2015, 17:15
I heard the problem is when is not much reserve space on the internal HDD on the XBONE :-).

TrackDayKC
31-05-2015, 17:16
If you buy a USB3 external drive, it will transfer data faster than the internal HDD. That in itself is a benefit, not to mention the extra space you said you are approaching a need for.

Umer Ahmad
31-05-2015, 17:50
Does having an external Hardrive REALLY improve the framerate issues?
I have read on here so many saying it does but then others say that the xbox Hardrive copes fine it's very confusing,I do now and again suffer the framerate issue normally on Brands going round Druids but not always seems worse in career races and the weather is sunny.
If it is a real solution I might just purchase an external hdd ,I will at some stage have to anyway due to the xbox filling up fast .
Let me know your thoughts on this
Thanks
I think it's worth a shot, helped some people like this guy
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?26452-Worked-for-me

Within few days if you do not see improvement the return it to shop. Usually most shops will give full refund within 10-15-30 days with receipt.

Some more tips here (do not use Instant Mode etc)
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28540-Having-Problems-with-Project-Cars-This-MAY-help!

GreaseyBreakPad
31-05-2015, 20:40
I have an external HDD and have noticed no performance boost in frame rate, compared to a friend of mine who has it on the local hard drive.
Loading time is reduced with the external hard drive though.

AdM1
31-05-2015, 21:54
What size memory is advised for the usb stick? And can you store more than 1 game or just 1 per stick?

transfix
31-05-2015, 21:57
Before dishing out so much money on an external I would wait and see what happens after the next patch. Unless you are running out of HD space.

WhiteNinja636
31-05-2015, 22:12
I transferred the game on to a HHD, saw some improvements but not a whole lot.
If you are going to buy one it NEEDS to be at least 256GB and USB3.0 also try a get one with a higher rpm ie 7200rpm

farobaba
01-06-2015, 20:24
I have had it on the external HDD since day one, with much space to spare, unfortunately, no, it does not resolve the frame-rate issue. But it is not that big of a deal since it might do it for a second or two.

stevepm
01-06-2015, 20:39
You also need the desktop external hard driver with its own power suply not a portable one that takes it power from the usb port as it would have an inpact on preformance. If you have a kinect pluged in it might help to unplug it as well as that uses a small amount of system resorces.

Bobbydakid
01-06-2015, 22:09
You also need the desktop external hard driver with its own power suply not a portable one that takes it power from the usb port as it would have an inpact on preformance. If you have a kinect pluged in it might help to unplug it as well as that uses a small amount of system resorces.

Are you sure that's true? I haven't noticed a difference with kinect plugged or unplugged. Also I don't see why a portable USB hard drive should make a difference to a desktop powered supply one?

s1yfa
02-06-2015, 00:28
Are you sure that's true? I haven't noticed a difference with kinect plugged or unplugged. Also I don't see why a portable USB hard drive should make a difference to a desktop powered supply one?

Unplugging kinect makes no difference. The system resources are freed up when the game starts as the cameras are disabled. Voice commands still work though, but this does not use any resources that can be freed for games in any way.

Krylon Blue
02-06-2015, 02:55
I'm using a Western Digital MyBook 3TB External and it plugs into an A/C outlet for power and USB for transfer. I noticed the load times are improved but the framerate doesn't seem to have changed.

thisisbleep
02-06-2015, 04:55
5400 rpm drives which are larger than 2TB and all 7200 rpm drives require an external power source, because the USB connection does not give it enough power.

I have a WD Elements portable 2TB hard drive and it works well, the 5400 rpm versus 7200 rpm just slightly reduces the load times and I did not see the benefit in it (larger box and needs another plug).

OrenIshii BE
02-06-2015, 06:30
5400 rpm drives which are larger than 2TB and all 7200 rpm drives require an external power source, because the USB connection does not give it enough power.

I have a WD Elements portable 2TB hard drive and it works well, the 5400 rpm versus 7200 rpm just slightly reduces the load times and I did not see the benefit in it (larger box and needs another plug).

I have the same one,
Pretty happy with it, no problem so far.
I didn't had a spare power outlet in the wall (didn't want to use extra splitter box), so that portable one seems like the best option.
Plus it's a lot easier when you go out to a mate and bring along your games. No need to fiddle with extra wires :p

s1yfa
03-06-2015, 12:42

If it is a 2.5" 7200rpm then USB can power it. I am doing exactly that with a WD Black.

CampRunShoot
03-06-2015, 14:08
I am using the HGST / WD Touro S 1TB, no power supply, 7200rpm and so far have not seen any real positive / negative effect of using this vs loaded to the internal HDD. A lot of issues have subsided a little recently, but don't honestly know if that is due to external drive or simply the 1.3 patch.

nissan4ever
03-06-2015, 14:10
My Seagate STBV4000100 runs @7200 RPM & it's powered by usb 3.0.

bc525
03-06-2015, 18:30
The UK Clio Cup in career was constantly stuttering and surging for me, but then two things happened: (1) the patch was issued and (2) I moved PCARS to my external drive. I no longer have been experiencing any of the issues I was having with the Clio Cup - and in fact it's been quite an improvement.

I can't be sure if moving the game files to my external drive had any real serious benefits, but I'm sure it didn't hurt the performance of the game.

nissan4ever
03-06-2015, 18:42
It did, your external drive is faster than the internal one on Xbox One

bc525
03-06-2015, 18:54
It was interesting that I was only experiencing frame rate problems (stuttering and surging) in my career races with the Clio. The solo races with that same care were fine.

Anyways the patch and moving things to my external drive did cure those issues for me. And I have read that the external drive is faster than the internal Xbox One drive, so it only makes sense that there's a performance increase there.

No One
03-06-2015, 20:10
has anyone tried a solid state external hard drive? that should theoretically produce the largest performance boost.

the_monk
03-06-2015, 21:30
has anyone tried a solid state external hard drive? that should theoretically produce the largest performance boost.

i have my xbox1 hooked to an ssd through sats-usb connector, except for load times decrease in games what other performance should i expect in project cars?

Gunflight
03-06-2015, 21:39
The biggest performance gain i have found it a hard reboot. It solves the FPS issues 9 times out of 10. The damn Xbone is horrible with resource management and is a huge memory hog. Reboot after a few races and you will notice the difference.

Cesco
04-06-2015, 07:10
The biggest performance gain i have found it a hard reboot. It solves the FPS issues 9 times out of 10. The damn Xbone is horrible with resource management and is a huge memory hog. Reboot after a few races and you will notice the difference.

Correct. Turning off instant mode resolved a lot of problems with games, especially in the early days of Xbox One

KkDrummer
04-06-2015, 10:01
Correct. Turning off instant mode resolved a lot of problems with games, especially in the early days of Xbox One

This! Keep your console on power save mode and you should have fewer issues...still there is an underlying problem which is software related and hopefully this will be fixed with the 1.4 patch.

No One
04-06-2015, 12:01
i have my xbox1 hooked to an ssd through sats-usb connector, except for load times decrease in games what other performance should i expect in project cars?

that would be the majority of it. in general it should make the game run smother since the read/write time is almost instant.

Birdman
12-06-2015, 23:55
Question for those a with USB 3.0 external HDD, is it possible to move just your gamesave to the consoles HDD? Before I order 1 and knowing my luck it craps the bed...I was looking at some 7200rpm 1 or 2 TB USB 3.0 units without the separate power supply

Ch1ps N Queso
13-06-2015, 00:08
Question for those a with USB 3.0 external HDD, is it possible to move just your gamesave to the consoles HDD? Before I order 1 and knowing my luck it craps the bed...I was looking at some 7200rpm 1 or 2 TB USB 3.0 units without the separate power supply

All of your games save to the cloud. When you transfer your games and apps to the HD you don't have to transfer saved data.

Lukeymonster
14-06-2015, 21:23
I have a 4tb external with its own power chord. I have most of my games installed and I seldom run into frame rate issues with games. Project cars has been on there since launch and Ive had very few frame rate issues. 99% of the time is runs great and since I switched to power save mode last month I've never had an issue.