PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts so far

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
31-05-2015, 20:05
Like many, I've been wanting a game like this on console for a while as the arcade nonsense available isn't for me. On the whole it's enjoyable but there's a few things that can be quite annoying. I'll just list some stuff and see who agrees.

(related to online races)

contact pt1: touchy feely - I can be shunted from behind, pushed out wide at a corner or on to the grass and the other car gets no penalty. It doesn't even seem to slow them and often results in them gaining. Tough one to police but driving into the back of someone should be an easy one to detect.
contact pt2: screw braking - It's almost routine at slow corners to find someone fly up the inside expecting the gods to intervene and get them around. What actually happens is the person who used their brakes properly and attempts the racing line gets stuck to mr hotdog who pushes them off and gains a place.
contact pt3: the long goodbye - so you go in to a corner with a few cars around (like the first corner at monza) and either cut the track to avoid carnage or get pushed off by another car. What follows is a speed penalty and the potential to get rammed up the backside by cars trying to go passed. Another hard one to police.
invalidating lap times too harsh - go off the track and lose time invalidates? go off and lose time 2 or 3 corners from the start/finish line and both the current AND next laps are invalid?? It's way too harsh
allow people to finish qualifying laps - it makes sense to let people finish their laps after the time runs out and would make things more interesting. Doesn't seem hard to work out a time extension based on who crossed the line in time.
party system - why wasn't this in the game from day one? I've got to join a race and then invite, which isn't practical with more than one player because places fill up. I know I can create my only lobby but that isn't always practical either.
show car stats as you scroll through list - wouldn't it make more sense to just show the car stats as you're moving through the list rather than navigating off to another screen. What's annoying is that going back to the list puts you back on the car you've chosen rather than the car you were viewing.
new fastest sector (t&c's apply) - what's the point in telling me about how I'm doing against myself when the timings tell me that. What I want to know is how I'm doing against the people around me.
view sector/lap times after race - be good to see the times, best lap, etc of the previous race and for longer than 5 seconds. Maybe be able to access them while in the lobby.
clan type groups for people to join so those that want clean racing can find it
mute all button! - why do people have a mic on when they're not talking to anyone!!
basic race craft tutorial - I think a tutorial showing people the basics of braking, the racing line, corning, etc might help with all the nonsense that happens online. Seems like there's at least a handful of people every race that steam in to corners expecting to drift around and instead cause widespread misery. I'm certainly no expert but know enough to race cleanly.
no engine failures in online - why, just why would having an engine fail during an online race be considered anything but unfair and dumb. Across a championship season maybe but in a race that's typically 5 or 6 laps I can't see the point. Shouldn't even be an option online.
cars are ghosts during qualifying - we all know why
DQ stationary cars - simple, if a car doesn't complete a lap in a specified time kick them back to the pits. Had a race with two stationary cars on the straight and one blocking a chicane for 3 or 4 laps, shouldn't even be possible.
adjust audio and controller config in-game - really awkward to adjust controller settings when you have to back out to the main menu each time. Same applies to audio, sometimes the engine noises are too loud and I can't here friends talking yet it can't be adjusted in-game.
option to turn off chat audio during a race - spent nearly a whole race listening to buzzing and whistles or music on several occasions.
split results for multi-class races - makes sense to separate different classes in a mixed race. If a few of us are in GT3 cars, for instance, and some others are in formula A then we're not exactly in the same race, figuratively speaking.

Helmethead1031
31-05-2015, 20:13
Some good ideas. Unfortunately most of these fall under the "join a racing league to avoid these issues" mantra. Many of your complaints have been previously voiced and the responses (unfortunately justified) are to join a league where clean racing is encouraged. Too difficult to police online I think.

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
31-05-2015, 20:22
How do the leagues work though, there's no way of joining one in-game. Is it just done through friends lists?

A party system, allowing people to finish their qualifying laps and softening how laps are deemed invalid would be my favoured changes.

IrideGravity
31-05-2015, 21:02
Some good ideas. Unfortunately most of these fall under the "join a racing league to avoid these issues" mantra. Many of your complaints have been previously voiced and the responses (unfortunately justified) are to join a league where clean racing is encouraged. Too difficult to police online I think.

No they don't all fall under join a league. They fall under make a better game. #9 is so basic. Don't make the player sit around for 2-1/2 minutes watching Stupid AI laps when he could not be waisting his time. Looking over data or telemetry. Or Lap times at least. Do stuff like Iracing. Where all of these great ideas have been implemented. Or gt6 where most have been implemented. Tired of hearing joe fan boy make x excuse for things that can easily be accomplished.
Enough of the fan boy disease/attitude already and excuses. Or at least stop coming around just to voice an opinion that it's just fine, to somebody who clearly feels different.

To expand on the thought. The online presence of a game makes or breaks a games longevity and drives it's dlc sales.if there's no Fix for this game online, watch the players leave. What few there are.

Platy
31-05-2015, 21:24
Really agree with #9. Surprised that a game that advertises itself as a simulator is missing out on telemetry and the ability to compare sector times.

#11 and #15 would be good additions too.

lordymatsuo
31-05-2015, 21:28
Great post OP, well summarised. All i can add like others have said is look for a racing group who host private lobbies.

We have 160+ members and 7 hosts, we are always hosting in the evenings but like you have said yes its all through friend requests invites etc. very tedious but our hosts take alot of the weight on there shoulders. Members add the hosts and the hosts do the inviting. This saves everyone having to add everyone.

Also the party issue, we overcome this by setting up our own chat system which can be used on any second screen device pc/tablet/mobile.

Check us out if you want. We have some more new features coming all the time.

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
01-06-2015, 11:24
No they don't all fall under join a league. They....
...if there's no Fix for this game online, watch the players leave. What few there are.

Have to agree with you here, many of the items on the list are doable and some should have been included on release. I know it's almost industry standard now for games to release with problems but pcars was delayed 3 times (roughly 6 months). And it was supposedly a community shaped game, did none of these issues come up during testing?

On a positive note many of these aren't particularly difficult to rectify if the gods will it. Whether any of them are on the developers roadmap is another matter.

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
01-06-2015, 11:34
Also the party issue, we overcome this by setting up our own chat system which can be used on any second screen device.....

The PS4 has quite an effective party voice chat system, although what you mentioned is probably better for text messages as well as voice. I was talking more about a way of grouping people together and then having the host join games. It's a common feature found in nearly every online game I've played over the last few years. You create a party in-game, invite friends, then join games on their behalf and the whole party can race together. At the moment it's a calamity of chance as to whether a game will fill up before friends have joined.