PDA

View Full Version : Idea for mapping limitations on consoles

OpticalHercules
31-05-2015, 22:37
I know SMS has acknowledged the limitations of mappable inputs for Xbox One, and probably PS4 (which I know nothing about first hand) when an idea popped into my head that I think would be a very cool addition/feature to this game and how cars can be adjusted on the fly.

Some other developers have created apps that work in conjunction with the system and game, Bungie/Destiny comes to mind. Their app allows you to interact with the game on an account-level, such as moving items from characters to and from your storage inventory, and also viewing some stats related to the toons you create and the account they are based on. Microsoft also has the Smartglass app which allows you to interact with the xbox itself, friend list, messaging, etc. Between those Microsoft and Bungie, I know something similar for PCars is feasible.

I wonder if it would be possible to create an app for smartphones or tablets that gives you a user interface with a selection of controls or adjustments that are just not possible to map to wheel/controller at this time? Like having a screen with several slider bars or button presets/macros to adjust brake balance, center of gravity, and similar adjustments that would be linked to the console in real time and use the device as it's own form of controller or information interface. Would not be hard to set up an easel or music stand or whatever to stand your smartphone or tablet next to your wheel or screen allowing you to have touch access to a lot of game/car functions.

I hope I'm not the first person to have this idea, but when it hit me earlier, I thought it was well worth posting to see if anyone has the skills or know-how to make this work. I would definitely love to see this in the game. Even some PC users may find value in something like this instead of memorizing so many button mappings on a keyboard.