PDA

View Full Version : Some New Player Questions

mscottveach
01-06-2015, 01:31
I'm new to racing sims and had a couple of questions that I can't seem to find a clear answer to....

As a personal preference, I like to play games with the settings that are most like tournament/competitive play.

My question is about HUD and camera position. Is there a standard choice for these two things that is common or required in tournament/competitive online play? Or
do people choose whatever camera position they like the most? And put up whatever HUD data they like?

I find the the camera position in front of the car and behind the car to be much easier than the ones through the windshield (because I can see the coming turns easier)
but I wonder if those camera positions are considered an unfair advantage in high-level play? (Or maybe it's the other way around? At high-level play, maybe you need
your mirrors so people trade field of vision for mirrors?) Any advice on what camera position I should play with if I want to play the way the pros do?

And what about HUD data? Is any of it considered unfair information? The map, for example?

2. Sort of a random question: I have a G27 and have my driving assists set to mimic real life; I've noticed that the transmissions does the same thing. Even though I've set it
to manual transmission, if the car uses an automatic transmission in real life (say, like the GT3) then I can use the automatic paddles. And if it doesn't then I need to shift with
the clutch.. my question is: is there a way to see whether a car uses automatic or manual before I start he race? Is that in the car information somewhere? Strangely, I can't
seem to find anything like that.

Niveous21
01-06-2015, 16:01
As far as I am aware there are no "unwritten rules" about camera position or HUD elements. To each their own. If you want to be like the "pros" I would just use cockpit or helmet cam with all assists either off, or set on Real.

Not sure about your second question, a dev could maybe answer that.

Siberian Tiger
01-06-2015, 16:06
I'm new to racing sims and had a couple of questions that I can't seem to find a clear answer to....

As a personal preference, I like to play games with the settings that are most like tournament/competitive play.

My question is about HUD and camera position. Is there a standard choice for these two things that is common or required in tournament/competitive online play? Or
do people choose whatever camera position they like the most? And put up whatever HUD data they like?

I find the the camera position in front of the car and behind the car to be much easier than the ones through the windshield (because I can see the coming turns easier)
but I wonder if those camera positions are considered an unfair advantage in high-level play? (Or maybe it's the other way around? At high-level play, maybe you need
your mirrors so people trade field of vision for mirrors?) Any advice on what camera position I should play with if I want to play the way the pros do?

And what about HUD data? Is any of it considered unfair information? The map, for example?

2. Sort of a random question: I have a G27 and have my driving assists set to mimic real life; I've noticed that the transmissions does the same thing. Even though I've set it
to manual transmission, if the car uses an automatic transmission in real life (say, like the GT3) then I can use the automatic paddles. And if it doesn't then I need to shift with
the clutch.. my question is: is there a way to see whether a car uses automatic or manual before I start he race? Is that in the car information somewhere? Strangely, I can't
seem to find anything like that.

1. No Restrictions, but some Trophies require Cockpit Cam ;)
2. You can see on the Vehicle Garage -> Infos which Gearbox is equiped to this car. (Sequential or H-Shift Pattern)

Mr Akina
01-06-2015, 16:13
Do whatever you feel gives you the best 'experience'. Most of your questions are about visibility and the map... none of which will matter once you have learned the tracks.

Most people want it to feel like a race car, so it's cockpit or helmet cam. That also comes with the limited visibility of a racing car. If you're more comfortable seeing where opponents are for now, then use whichever camera is best for you - once you are thinking less about the next corner, you will be able to race in-car and be more aware of where the other cars are from that position. There are no 'competitive' restrictions usually, just have fun.