PDA

View Full Version : R18 TDI and Circuit De La Sarthe Help!

kilotango
01-06-2015, 07:50
Hi Guys,

I'm not very technical enough to be able to setup a car properly on my own... but i've been using default setups and i keep going off at two places on the Le Mans circuit in the R18:

1 - Going into Indianapolis, theres a slight right hand turn with a dip in it almost right by the apex. The minute i aim for that apex, the car oversteers and just goes straight off onto the grass on the right side of the track.

2 - exiting the first S of the Porsche curves, the instant i touch the rumble strip on the left apex, the car goes into a slide and im off the track.

during a race, i notice that AI cars can take these turns at a relatively good speed...when i have to slow down, so not sure if i'm just useless or if there are some tweaks i can use in the setup? because of the penalty system i can go 5 laps all of which have invalidated lap times for going off, even slightly (especially in the Porsche curves).

thanks!

PerFixAlot
01-06-2015, 09:08
I don't know what I am doing, and maybe it is totally different if you are using a controller rather than a steering wheel, but it works quite well for me, so maybe this will help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqqmLAy6eTo

If you want it a bit more stable, I think you could increase the Toe-In and Camber angles.

In the end though, it has taken me hundreds of practice laps to get to the point where I feel I can tell the difference between a good or not so good lap.
I drive without assist, so if you have real-aids, or even more aids, you should find it a bit easier to control on the exits, still after loads of practice I feel it is very hard to control.

That just seems to be how it is with this track and fast cars, as a few microseconds to early or late , or a few percent too much or little pressure, on either the throttle or brake pedals will cost a second or two, if not cause you to spin or crash.

kilotango
01-06-2015, 09:18
thanks for that.... im using a controller, so it could be that im not being smooth enough with steering controls? hmmm... will try messing with camber and toe in as you suggested and see if it makes a difference

FMS TopSecret
01-06-2015, 16:47
thanks for that.... im using a controller, so it could be that im not being smooth enough with steering controls? hmmm... will try messing with camber and toe in as you suggested and see if it makes a difference

ignore what computers can do because they can do things on the game we cannot do ourselves, but i will have a mess around with the r18 and see what i can do for you

hkraft300
01-06-2015, 16:52
I'm struggling to tame the R18. I kiss the brakes before the right kick at Indianapolis and don't cut it too tight as it's a bit rough. More important than taking the kink fast, I want the car steady to brake hard for the sharp left.
I stay off the curbs at Porsche and accelerate through the 1st 3 turns at ~60-75% throttle then lift for the final right hander.

rear toe at 0.1-0.2 might be ok. not too much as it'll cut your top speed.