PDA

View Full Version : 24hr Le Mans Ragequit...

SL1DE
01-06-2015, 08:39
I feel the need to tell somebody my story...

I was doing the 24hr Le Mans race on 1% (2 hours), done 40 minutes, it was lap 10 and it was night time, time to pit. I messed up my pit entrance and the stupid AI crashed into the wall, so I lost my nose with the headlights on it. So now, I had no idea where the fu.. I was going! And I am not going to restart and do a whole hour of racing all over again, but I also don't want to retire, it's my first Le Mans so I want to finish it.

So I just turned it off. Might have to turn damage off next time, in case something stupid happens, not worth the risk on such a long ass race. -.-

Perhaps I could have put in the AI driver in the pit stop and let the AI drive until daylight? I wasn't thinking at the time.

Thread is kind of pointless, but yeah... It is "General Discussion" though.

thehotlap
01-06-2015, 08:50
Trust me I know the feeling... Hence why career mode is on hold! Awesome game though !

TrevorAustin
01-06-2015, 09:12
The pit stop would have repaired it.

marshma11ow8
01-06-2015, 10:46
The pit stop doesn't fix your lights though otherwise it wouldn't matter

Martakus
01-06-2015, 10:51
I honestly wouldnīt mind the damage if the race wasnīt that long. 1 hour as minimum length would be enough - 2 is just too long. Especially because if you do decide to turn damage off and make the AI easy to make sure you win even if you spin out occasionally, it just gets extremely boring.

TrevorAustin
01-06-2015, 10:52
The pit stop doesn't fix your lights though otherwise it wouldn't matter

I thought it did? Fixes everything on mine, although not sure I've broken my lights.

KK78
01-06-2015, 11:38
I thought it did? Fixes everything on mine, although not sure I've broken my lights.

No it doesn't fix the lights mate, this is a known issue, you are right it fixes everything else although don't be surprised to see it not actually replace body panels- this has happened to me a few times.

I've now had the game crash a few hours into a race 4 times in the Endurance Championship, twice on Le Sarthe so I've abandoned the season. I can take crashes in 4-5 lap races but not when I've put 1-2 hours into a race- in total I've raced approx 6 hours with no finishes.

Love the game but hope this gets sorted.

Forcedchaos
01-06-2015, 11:41
An hour of racing is long for you people? I have run full races before in racing games 3 hours plus.

PJ Dunham
01-06-2015, 11:55
HAHA you think that's bad, my first run trying for FULL 24hr race was little over 5 hours in when AI clipped me in Porsche curves as I was slowing for GT car infront, the AI driver came around the outside hit my front wheel causing steering to go off center, The pits call me in due to damaged suspention, ok all good I thought id do 1 more lap as didn't feel too bad, made it to pit entry lap after and Engine blew soon as I left the track to enter Pits.... I was Soooooo pissed off..... I have since completed and Won the 24hr race real time with a mate. but learned to gear it and drive it so as NOT to risk anything, averaging 5 to 10secs off Qualli Pace through the race especially after we got over a full lap lead.

Also if your damaging car breaking Headlights your not in the head space for 24hr racing, its not a sprint its full defencive driving just surviving and staying on lead lap, the AI tend to stop more than you do as the hours pass so gear top gear so your not quite in the redline, slow the car underbrakes before changing down so as not to ping engine, learn to lift and coast to save brakes and fuel use the Motec dash function pages to monitor Engine oil water tire temps brake temps and Fuel per lap makes for interesting race to watch this and try to get best lap for least fuel ;)

FYI 24hours Lemans little over 400 laps ;) fire it up

KK78
01-06-2015, 12:24
An hour of racing is long for you people? I have run full races before in racing games 3 hours plus.

I'll happily race for 5 hours but not when there is a fair chance the game will crash, it becomes a waste of time, over 9 endurance races I've had it crash on 4 of them! I've probably just had bad luck but I don;t have to pile hours into races that may go bang:rolleyes:!

SL1DE
01-06-2015, 12:25
The pit stop would have repaired it.

Forgot to mention I was in LMP2, and a pit stop does not replace the front of the car. So if it's night time, and you lose it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vau2hG22DoQ

I wouldn't call it long, but it isn't something I would want to repeat anytime soon. I just hate repeating things in general. It makes it feel like a task, and I cannot have fun and enjoy myself when it's a task.

I used to do full races all the time on F1, endurance races on Gran Turismo...

KK78
01-06-2015, 12:28
HAHA you think that's bad, my first run trying for FULL 24hr race was little over 5 hours in when AI clipped me in Porsche curves as I was slowing for GT car infront, the AI driver came around the outside hit my front wheel causing steering to go off center, The pits call me in due to damaged suspention, ok all good I thought id do 1 more lap as didn't feel too bad, made it to pit entry lap after and Engine blew soon as I left the track to enter Pits.... I was Soooooo pissed off..... I have since completed and Won the 24hr race real time with a mate. but learned to gear it and drive it so as NOT to risk anything, averaging 5 to 10secs off Qualli Pace through the race especially after we got over a full lap lead.

Also if your damaging car breaking Headlights your not in the head space for 24hr racing, its not a sprint its full defencive driving just surviving and staying on lead lap, the AI tend to stop more than you do as the hours pass so gear top gear so your not quite in the redline, slow the car underbrakes before changing down so as not to ping engine, learn to lift and coast to save brakes and fuel use the Motec dash function pages to monitor Engine oil water tire temps brake temps and Fuel per lap makes for interesting race to watch this and try to get best lap for least fuel ;)

Ouch! I often get told the clutch is buggered only for it to fine seconds later?!?!

As for the light damage problem I don't think it's fair to assume all others are treating these events like sprint races. The one time I lost my lights was on Sonomo where I came a cropper several times because GT3 cars came up damn fast and often would seemingly move aside only to move back into my line, even tiptoeing around them in an LMP1 car didn't stop some seriously erratic Ai movements.

NemethR
01-06-2015, 12:41
Just don't crash, endurance races are bout making the feest possible mistakes, and not so much about speed. :)
Also mostly people do not win their first le mans :)

TrevorAustin
01-06-2015, 13:07

Actually you are so right. I tend to do a 2 hour version of this, and I've only won twice, both times I got to the stage running overnight where I was about 16th after having a couple of spins, whatever trying to overtake in the first laps, then overtook everybody else in the pits.

OperatorWay
01-06-2015, 19:26
I feel your pain. I had similar difficulties in this career event:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28382-Pit-Box-Currently-Occupied-at-Le-Mans-24-Hours

Machinist90
01-06-2015, 19:33
the only thing that messes up my lemans is when I change tires the car acts like it has no wheels when it switches to manual control on exit...messed up 4 hours of racing...putting the 24hrs of lemans on hold despite wanting to finish it so badly...I might try assign a "reset to track" button to see if that helps,also happened when switching from AI driver back to me..so be careful with that

OpticalHercules
01-06-2015, 20:45
This is why I run endurance races with the driving line on. Yes it sucks to have the line when you don't want it there, but if you lose your headlights at night on a track as poorly lit as Circuit de la Sarthe, you still have the line to follow. Yes you will lose some time per lap just having that line and nothing else guiding you, but it will allow you to finish the race in decent standing.

this race at 1% duration and losing my headlamps is, so far, my favorite session in this game. Was so, so, so eerie driving that map with nothing but a green line on the screen, especially through the mulsanne straight and chicanes.

OpticalHercules
01-06-2015, 20:46
the only thing that messes up my lemans is when I change tires the car acts like it has no wheels when it switches to manual control on exit...messed up 4 hours of racing...putting the 24hrs of lemans on hold despite wanting to finish it so badly...I might try assign a "reset to track" button to see if that helps,also happened when switching from AI driver back to me..so be careful with that

Were you in an LMP1 car? There is a known bug where tire changes in the pits will sometimes send you out onto the track with 0 pressure in the tires. I know I've seen this bug regarding LMP1, I don't know if it affects any other classes though.

KK78
01-06-2015, 20:47
This is why I run endurance races with the driving line on. Yes it sucks to have the line when you don't want it there, but if you lose your headlights at night on a track as poorly lit as Circuit de la Sarthe, you still have the line to follow. Yes you will lose some time per lap just having that line and nothing else guiding you, but it will allow you to finish the race in decent standing.

this race at 1% duration and losing my headlamps is, so far, my favorite session in this game. Was so, so, so eerie driving that map with nothing but a green line on the screen, especially through the mulsanne straight and chicanes.

Good tip mate, I'll be using that next time I have a go.

dkracer12
02-06-2015, 02:18

EDIT: Nevermind, went to youtube and saw that they do in fact have all the classes you just have your position counter modified to only show your class.

WhiteNinja636
02-06-2015, 02:57
I gave up on the LM 24hr race before the last patch came out. I could never do more than 10 laps without the game glitching and causing a race ending crash. I'm not going to bother again for at least a month as most of the glitches haven't been fixed and it's a shame really as this was one race I was really looking forward to.

TopAirspace
02-06-2015, 04:21
Where do you actually find the 24hr Lemans race?
Or do you have to complete other endurance races first to unlock it?

SL1DE
02-06-2015, 05:30

You get invited to it in career after a couple of seasons. It wasn't until I accepted a GT3 contract that I got invited.

It's a new day, so I'm going to have another crack at it now. Hopefully I don't mess up my pit entrance this time. xD

OperatorWay
02-06-2015, 05:31

As you complete events in a single-player career championship series, you receive "invitations" in your in-game inbox to race in other events along the way - the 24 Hours of Le Mans is one of those that you get an invitation for.

KK78
02-06-2015, 06:43
Le Mans has been there in my calendar for the last few seasons around mid-November time but I've skipped it thus far.

jpmmuc
02-06-2015, 06:46

Some have more free time some have lesser :friendly_wink:
For me the 2 hour races are only possible on rainy weekends ;)

Raikkonen_WC
02-06-2015, 08:20
The 2 hours race is even not possible on rainy days. It would be great to have a chance to let it just be 5 laps or so....

TopAirspace
02-06-2015, 08:38
Ahh ok sweet,
Well I've attempted a few longer races now and a few problems I've encountered are that the lapped cars don't acknowledge they are being lapped and will defend being overtaken with full fury and this often leads to collisions, once an LMP car collided with a back marker and lost the entire body cover from the rear of the car including the rear wing yet still continued full speed along the course with absolutely no apparent loss of grip, he didn't even bother to pit lol, this ruined all sense of realism for me so i quit the race,
I think i will attack a few enduro's after a few patches to fix some of these issues!
I do agree that longer races are the best way to enjoy sims like this though!

Raikkonen_WC
02-06-2015, 09:29
I accidentally swap driver in the pitstop. How can I order the car to come in? Because now the computer is driving.....

Bealdor
02-06-2015, 09:31
I accidentally swap driver in the pitstop. How can I order the car to come in? Because now the computer is driving.....

Hit the "Request Pit Stop" button (if you mapped it).

Raikkonen_WC
02-06-2015, 09:48
I didn't mapped it. I thought this was a standard feature........ Like the lights and screenwasher (I play on the PS4)

KK78
02-06-2015, 10:09
I didn't mapped it. I thought this was a standard feature........ Like the lights and screenwasher (I play on the PS4)

No mate, I found this recently, you need to map that command to the controller in the controller settings