r4y30n
01-06-2015, 09:54
PC (Steam, 64-bit)
Intel i7-5820K 3.3 GHz, 6-core
Nvidia GTX 970
Gigabyte X99 motherboard
USB-to-S/PIDF audio interface
16 GB RAM

When at moderate to wide open throttle the engine audio in the Huayra sounds like it's just barely clipping. There's a crackle to the sound that seems like a digital artifact. This is only present in the internal cameras (cockpit, passenger, helmet) and is less noticeable in helmet cam due to the treble roll-off in that view. The issue appears specific to the Huayra.

ex_
01-06-2015, 13:31
I'm not sure if you are noticing what I notice when I've driven that car, but I notice an overdriven audio signal, which creates what sounds like clipping, but is not actual sine-wave clipping. I believe it was engineered this way, with some other cars, to sound more "bad-ass" like NFS games etc. vs the more "pure" approach of polyphony in GT.

I hope we eventually get an audio option to intentionally add this type of overdrive or to turn it off altogether. Annoying to anyone who loves audio!

r4y30n
01-06-2015, 17:25
Definitely, and yes I think we're hearing the same thing.

ex_
02-06-2015, 03:47
I would like to know if this is sound compression being done on the software side in real time or if this is simply the final mix they decided on and it would require reworking the sounds to fix? If the former, a on/off switch might be possible. Hard to say which is less time-consuming to code and implement.