PDA

View Full Version : Better turbo sounds? Thoughts?

r4y30n
01-06-2015, 10:43
EDIT: Initially this thread was a complaint about the mechanics of turbo sounds in the game though PCARS' audio director put my worries to rest. I guess this is now a turbo sound discussion thread, enjoy.

cerbrus2
01-06-2015, 11:13
Nope, the spool noises are just fine. And if i owned a Huayra i would of replaced the stupid Dump valve for a recirculating valve, because i don't want my ridiculously expensive car sounding like a beaten up Subaru Imprezza in a McDonald's drive through.

Mad Al
01-06-2015, 11:18
So you didn't actually bother to test the game in the 3 years you were a WMD member ?

vicdavery
01-06-2015, 12:13
As Mad Al hinted at, if you'd looked in the forums during development you'd have seen how many comments there were from the devs about the work that went into getting the sound just right.
It certainly isn't the old X throttle and Y RPM.
PCARS has a volumetric throttle I believe and there was an awful lot of work on making the Huarya sound correct. It's not worthwhile comparing another game's interpretation of things. Forza is made for the masses and so for marketing purposes will exaggerate things to make the seem more exciting.
PCARS is a simulation and aims for accuracy in all things, turbo sounds included.

Bealdor
01-06-2015, 12:35
The sounds are completely physics driven. It's not just "play turbo sound X at RPM > Y".

mire2
01-06-2015, 12:52
Maybe it is a bit off topic but, some of you guys find out that the lykan hypersport and the RUF CTR3 engine sou d is almost exact the same? I also heared it at other cars which sound absoulte same, example the ford mustang boss, it is a sound which other cars got too.....i was thinking all cars got their real sound....so i wonder a bit

Siberian Tiger
01-06-2015, 12:53
Every Car has it's own soundset. No Car is sharing the Sound Set ;)

Do you listen trough a Soundsystem or only trough you TV Speakers ?

kilotango
01-06-2015, 13:00
R18 TDI turbo definitely too quiet imo. you can hear the turbo really well in live races (not to be confused with later model E-Tron whine!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CU_MuTqps

mire2
01-06-2015, 13:10
I've got a sony headset put in on my ps4 gamepad.....it is a very great sound from the headset....ok i hear a little difference. But sometimes it sounds absolute same (third person camera) when i just stand still and kick the gas or when i drive it....but when i sweap from the third person camera to the cockpit camera with the RUF CTR3, then it sounds not same like the lykan hypersport......but i know your engine sounds are the best in the game :D i just wondered, because at this moment it really sound same^^

cerbrus2
01-06-2015, 13:13
R18 TDI turbo definitely too quiet imo. you can hear the turbo really well in live races (not to be confused with later model E-Tron whine!)

do you drive in project cars in 3rd person mode?

mire2
01-06-2015, 13:17
No, never.......but just when i want to hear the sound of the cars, so no way for laughing.....because for me the engine sound in a racer is absolute important....and of course project cars got for miles one of the best.......it is loud and very real....i played driveclub befor Pcars and at DC it is a very very bad and sillenth sound

kilotango
01-06-2015, 13:27
do you drive in project cars in 3rd person mode?

mostly no, but the chase camera does let you experience the ambient noise.. if you feel like going to 3rd person

Stephen Baysted
01-06-2015, 13:46
Guys, the turbos are modelled as an integral part of the physics system - they work in game just as they would do in real life; it's a very cool piece of programming by our physics team.

The Huayra sounds are an interesting case in point. In 2012 I recorded the turbo sounds directly from the intake system (see the photo). The car has a particularly distinctive turbo sound that Mr Pagani fashioned himself. 205700205699

mire2
01-06-2015, 14:33
I must say the pagani sound ( both) are absolute incredible nice....and the huayra got a very bad a* great sound....nice job you done with them:)

cerbrus2
01-06-2015, 15:33
mostly no, but the chase camera does let you experience the ambient noise.. if you feel like going to 3rd person

Sort of my point. listen to the inside of the Audi from inside sounds completely different to external cam, as it does in real life. so if you don't drive in a 3rd person, then why post a video to show only the external.

r4y30n
01-06-2015, 17:29
Guys, the turbos are modelled as an integral part of the physics system - they work in game just as they would do in real life; it's a very cool piece of programming by our physics team.

The Huayra sounds are an interesting case in point. In 2012 I recorded the turbo sounds directly from the intake system (see the photo). The car has a particularly distinctive turbo sound that Mr Pagani fashioned himself.

I apologize, I was clearly mistaken. Thank you for the quick reply and keep up the good work! Side note: I love seeing these behind the scenes photos/videos.

Stephen Baysted
02-06-2015, 00:33
I apologize, I was clearly mistaken. Thank you for the quick reply and keep up the good work! Side note: I love seeing these behind the scenes photos/videos.

No worries r4y30n. Plenty more photos etc where they came from. Will dig some more out!