PDA

View Full Version : Extremely low performance on high-end rig (and other issues)

Ethanace
01-06-2015, 11:28
Foreword - Just for reference my setup is as follows:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (all latest updates installed)
i7 4770 Quad-Core 3.4GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
2 x GTX 780Ti SLI

Game is installed on an SSD but that makes little to no difference IMO.

I am having huge frame rate issues when playing Project Cars even on an extremely high-end rig. I am finding my frame rate fluctuating below 45fps during a race in stormy weather. This was such a bad drop I noticed a heavy decrease in performance without even needing fraps running. It was noticeably slow. I could replicate this issue in stormy weather even when I was driving on a track solo with no other vehicles. What's going on? I have no issues in Crysis 3 or Metro Last Light with these games maxed out, frequently getting near or over 100fps on both. So I do not understand how a driving game is taxing my cards to such an exceptional degree that I can't even mantain a stable 60fps? I am only using FXAA on high setting, with VSync turned off (Adaptive VSync enabled on NVidia control panel). Settings are otherwise all on ultra. I'm only running that game at 1080p so not some insane resolution, so what's causing this frame drop?

P.S: Even in dry weather, frame rate was only at around 105 during a kart race, where there is very little reflections etc to worry about, I would expect this game to be running at 144hz like it was on some of the other tracks I tried when I first bought my new monitor.

Aside from that issue, there are a couple of bugs which are very annoying:

When playing 'free drive' and not a single race mission, none of the California highway maps work. The car simply will not drive. This is a glitch as the car will steer but not receive any input from accelerator and brake input is intermittent with both keyboard and controller. This problem is regardless of weather conditions and car manufacturer. If I play single race with no opponents this issue is fixed. This might be a nuisance for some people but this is a big chunk of the game that is literally broken and unplayable, so not so much a minor bug.

I have encountered at least two buggy races on career mode, when the laps stop counting, and I am left doing laps endlessly that never clock up after the race has finished, meaning I literally cannot finish the race unless I restart. For a long race which might entail a long track with much more laps this would be unacceptable to waste this much of a persons time and effort.

Ripgroove
01-06-2015, 11:36
You should probably go here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22928-Terrible-SLI-Gtx760-GPU-usage&highlight=terrible+performance+sli

I have a similar PC to you and also 1080p and my GPU usage and FPS can also be poor, especially with full grid and rain/thunder.#

Most of your issues are already being talked about on the forums, have a search around...

Ethanace
01-06-2015, 12:52
I understand it might be a known fault, but what about dry conditions? Even on dry track my frames aren't what I would expect from two of some of the fastest cards money can buy. It doesn't make sense that this game is specifically tailored at NVidia cards and there could be this many issues with so many high end cards.

ex_
01-06-2015, 13:28
it wasn't specifically tailored for nVidia, but there is a sponsorship

Ripgroove
01-06-2015, 13:43
I understand it might be a known fault, but what about dry conditions? Even on dry track my frames aren't what I would expect from two of some of the fastest cards money can buy. It doesn't make sense that this game is specifically tailored at NVidia cards and there could be this many issues with so many high end cards.

No idea mate but it's the same for a lot of us, I have the same GPU setup as you.

Aldo Zampatti
01-06-2015, 15:09

Hi Ethance, first and foremost, this game wasn't tailored to NV cards, this was stated once and over by every SMS employee already :)

Now, probably you were directed to the appropiate place as it is a known issue that the overall utilization for higher end systems like yours it's not always the best and your case describes perfectly why one should care of attaining higher frame rates, being your case that you're a 144hz panel user.

If you take a few moments to read that thread, there are maybe some workarounds that might help you further, just to mention one, -skipcrowds will probably have a nice impact in your performance. Additionally, testing -dx11mt on your system (as it is hyper-threaded) might increase smoothness a bit further (note that you should TEST this one as in some machines might even reduce performance, 6 hardware thread are required for dx11mt to perform as it should, your system is a QuadCore with 8 hardware threads, so it should help)

Regards!
AZ