PDA

View Full Version : question on Clutch, shifter

spine302
01-06-2015, 12:09
I picked up the thrustmaster TS500 combined pedals and the th8 shifter that goes with the system. I have noticed some cars like the ford car for GT5 the shifts are perfectly simulated.

Then I goto the formula A1 and it don't seem to care if i use a clutch or not. And it don't progress my gearing right. (huge let down) I can go from 1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th, but when i come from 5th to say 3rd, or 2nd, when i'm slowing down into a corner, the car just hits the next lowest gear. So my shifter would come from the 5th gear to the 2nd, but the game would see it going from the 5th gear to 4th?????

I'm not sure if in these types of cars you don't need a clutch or must be progressive shifting without skipping gears?

It seems a few of these cars also respond this way.

Can somebody confirm if this is a bug or if this is the way the car is to be played?

Thanks board.

Siberian Tiger
01-06-2015, 12:14
Formula A has a Sequential Shiftbox, so you can't skip Gears ;)
(Like in Real Life)

Clutch in FA is only needed for Start, after that you don't need the Clutch to Shift...

Every Car in PCars is like it's Real Life Counterpart...

MrTulip
01-06-2015, 12:15
EDIT: Thanks Tiger, you were too fast for me.

It is by design. Cars with sequential gearing prevent jumping gears with H-shifter. I wish it was an option, but then they'd probably have to take into account gearbox simulation and possible cheaters (as it would allow faster shifts for H-shifter users).

Mafkees89
01-06-2015, 12:17
Welcome spine: I can confirm this is not a bug. PC simulates also the type of gearbox a car has, so cars that have sequential gearboxes can only be shifted sequential. For the Clio cupcar for example you only need the clutch to get the car going from a standstill, after that you can shift without the clutch (due to the gearbox having straight toothed gears if I'm not mistaken). While I haven't driven the FA yet,It seems logical that it is a sequential box that you would shift with the paddles. To know what kind of car you're dealing with you can have a look at the driver animations in the incar view.

edit: gues I was beaten to it

spine302
01-06-2015, 12:34
Formula A has a Sequential Shiftbox, so you can't skip Gears ;)
(Like in Real Life)

Clutch in FA is only needed for Start, after that you don't need the Clutch to Shift...

Every Car in PCars is like it's Real Life Counterpart...

Thank you very much for the info.

Now i have to figure out what cars have sequential shifting and what ones dont. And then i need to figure out where in the config i can add in the paddles for shifting and i think i know where.

Is there a way to tell what cars use the naturaly H-shift pattern? I love the traditional stick shifting

Very helpful information.

Thanks,

Siberian Tiger
01-06-2015, 12:42
At the moment No, you can't shift a Sequential Car on H-Shifter...

But one of the Dev's said they will look into it, perhaps they will provide an Option.
(It needs some clever System to slow down the Shift's that you can't "Cheat" with shorter Gearshifts...)

Mahjik
01-06-2015, 14:14
Is there a way to tell what cars use the naturaly H-shift pattern? I love the traditional stick shifting

Not without a little trial and error currently. Hopefully it's something that can be added to the vehicle info later. You can assume that any of the older cars (90's or older) will use H-pattern shifting. The quick way to test a car is just try to go into 5th when you come out of the pits. ;)