PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason for no ETA on patches?

marcdxn
01-06-2015, 16:24
Is there a reason for no ETA on patches?

Thats it really, i was wondering today why there isn't an ETA on game patches.

I thought surely it would quiet down the forums a little bit when the agro for fixes is quite high, rather than a frenzy of posts and then the thread is closed to see another start up a few hours later would it not be better to be able to say the ETA is 2 weeks.

Much like the roadmap when the game was in development you had some idea on times for certain aspects of development.

I can also understand the patience frame of mind and when its released its released but it seems like that's only really good enough for a minority and when someone visits the forum to have a read about how people find the game before they purchase surely a quieter thread about a patch minus the flame war with an ETA inside would be better for someone looking to purchase the game based on whats on these forums than a full blown argument and people saying things like the support is ridiculous & they want to obtain a refund.

ETA dates seem to keep a calmer frame of mind and with it meaning estimated time arrival if a release slips over for testing by another week i think the guys here would be more understandable if you just say it as it is.

This is where Ian Bell writes on the topic with 1 word

'NO'

;);)

Ian Bell
01-06-2015, 16:24
No.

Henk de Jong
01-06-2015, 16:27
Is there a reason for no ETA on patches?

Thats it really, i was wondering today why there isn't an ETA on game patches.

I thought surely it would quiet down the forums a little bit when the agro for fixes is quite high, rather than a frenzy of posts and then the thread is closed to see another start up a few hours later would it not be better to be able to say the ETA is 2 weeks.

Much like the roadmap when the game was in development you had some idea on times for certain aspects of development.

I can also understand the patience frame of mind and when its released its released but it seems like that's only really good enough for a minority and when someone visits the forum to have a read about how people find the game before they purchase surely a quieter thread about a patch minus the flame war with an ETA inside would be better for someone looking to purchase the game based on whats on these forums than a full blown argument and people saying things like the support is ridiculous & they want to obtain a refund.

ETA dates seem to keep a calmer frame of mind and with it meaning estimated time arrival if a release slips over for testing by another week i think the guys here would be more understandable if you just say it as it is.

This is where Ian Bell writes on the topic with 1 word

'NO'

;);)

But he tricked you with two things, no capital O and a period at the end.

marcdxn
01-06-2015, 16:29
The thread was totally worth it for that reply :glee:

LordDRIFT
01-06-2015, 16:31
Ian could coach the Spurs. *many people wont get that*

Schnizz58
01-06-2015, 16:31
As a developer myself, I can tell you that estimating how long it will be to fix a bug is fraught with uncertainty. Usually the hard part of fixing a bug is finding it and the hard part of finding it is duplicating it yourself. Once you've found it, it's often pretty easy to fix but it's difficult to get to that point sometimes.

_Kicks_
01-06-2015, 16:44
As a developer myself, I can tell you that estimating how long it will be to fix a bug is fraught with uncertainty. Usually the hard part of fixing a bug is finding it and the hard part of finding it is duplicating it yourself. Once you've found it, it's often pretty easy to fix but it's difficult to get to that point sometimes.

And additionally, the moment you give dates to the players, even if it's a guess-timate, they'll hold you to that date and if you miss that date, you'll be crucified :)

Umer Ahmad
01-06-2015, 16:50
Also, it is not 100% in SMS' control. There are 2-3 other companies involved.

Like the last patch, a general estimate days/weeks can be suggested but an EXACT date will NEVER be known unti ALL the companies have done their work. This is typicaly just a few days before the patxh is actually released.

TrevorAustin
01-06-2015, 16:52
Also, it is not 100% in SMS' control. There are 2-3 other companies involved.

Like the last patch, a general estimate days/weeks can be suggested but an EXACT date will NEVER be known unti ALL the companies have done their work. This is typicaly just a few days before the patxh is actually released.

Not on the PC there isn't :) or is there steam approval now!

Toxic
01-06-2015, 17:16
I would rather the patch be delivered properly and completely, rather than be delivered to a date or an ETA.

As someone above mentioned, provide an ETA - miss the ETA because you want to do a good job - get hammered by some of the community.

Yorkie065
01-06-2015, 17:19
Yeh...I don't really want to see the dev team get burned at the stake, 1 by 1 because they missed an ETA. ;)

Invincible
01-06-2015, 17:20
Thing is - you'll always get hammered. If you release an ETA, you'll get hammered if the patch isn't released on time, even if it's not your fault due to QA in other companies. If you don't release an ETA you get hammered for not releasing an ETA.:boxing:

So - when in doubt, better be safe than sorry and keep your trap shup about an ETA.

Sparky28
01-06-2015, 17:21
We have had 3 patches in 3 weeks not bad going really

More than some games ever get!

Umer Ahmad
01-06-2015, 17:23
We saw how well people reacted to the game delays last year and this year. There's simply too much "risk" in announcing these dates before they are 98% solid.

Not sure about STEAM/PC trevor but still there is risk there too. Maybe less than consoles however.