PDA

View Full Version : [YES BUT] Playing on LAN

Sanuck
01-06-2015, 16:26
Hi
My near neighbour has just purchased PC after a quick demo over the weekend.
Does anybody have any info on playing on Lan. As we can easily rig up a network. My thought were it would avoid lag etc. Hopefully still play with some AI cars etc.
Have not tried online yet as im too fast lol !

Any thoughts would be good

Thanks

S

MikeyTT
01-06-2015, 16:28
If you're both on the same LAN then there should be almost zero lag. If you have a DS hosted on the same network then you should be good to go.

Sanuck
01-06-2015, 16:30
Sorry Mikey
What is a DS
Any chance of some one explaining how to set up LAN play.

Thanks

Henk de Jong
01-06-2015, 16:32
Hi
My near neighbour has just purchased PC after a quick demo over the weekend.
Does anybody have any info on playing on Lan. As we can easily rig up a network. My thought were it would avoid lag etc. Hopefully still play with some AI cars etc.
Have not tried online yet as im too fast lol !

Any thoughts would be good

Thanks

S

Set-up a dedicated server on one of the pc's and use that to create a lobby.

apophis
01-06-2015, 16:32
You don't need a DS for that.
Without DS it is peer to peer -> traffic should go directly without the use of the internet -> low latency ;)

But you will need internet access for validating to steam and I think some packages while driving.

poirqc
01-06-2015, 16:35
Dedicated server probably. You're probably not going to need it if only the 2 of you play. Host the game on the beefiest machine and it should be good.

What networking gears do you have?

MikeyTT
01-06-2015, 16:38
Sorry Mikey
What is a DS
Any chance of some one explaining how to set up LAN play.

Thanks

Sorry, DS is Dedicated Server. apophis may be right tho. Without a DS it's peer to peer, but I thought there was more internet traffic going on, which might not be true.

Setting it up is the same as setting up a public lobby today. Just go create your lobby (password protect probably) and get your neighbour to join your session/lobby. You should then both be racing on LAN. Worth testing thought that traffic isn't escaping your network and you truly are racing on LAN.

Sanuck
01-06-2015, 16:57
Dedicated server probably. You're probably not going to need it if only the 2 of you play. Host the game on the beefiest machine and it should be good.

What networking gears do you have?

Networking gears ?

I thought they were in my car ?

Would be good to hear from a dev to explain as there is obviously some debate, ideally a setup without data going to the internet.

Thanks so far

S

Umer Ahmad
01-06-2015, 17:02
Networking "equipment"

As posted earlier, racing data packets would not leave the LAN, but you MUST still hav an internet connection so the game can verify your games are legitimate installations at launch.

Is it clear now how it works in a LAN?

MikeyTT
01-06-2015, 17:11
Networking gears ?

I thought they were in my car ?

Would be good to hear from a dev to explain as there is obviously some debate, ideally a setup without data going to the internet.

Thanks so far

S

You don't need dev input to this. Just try it. If peer to peer doesn't go out on the WAN, which seems to be the case and my bad initially, then you're all good.

e: Ninja'd. That's what you get for answering the phone ;)

Sanuck
01-06-2015, 17:19
Sorry, DS is Dedicated Server. apophis may be right tho. Without a DS it's peer to peer, but I thought there was more internet traffic going on, which might not be true.

Setting it up is the same as setting up a public lobby today. Just go create your lobby (password protect probably) and get your neighbour to join your session/lobby. You should then both be racing on LAN. Worth testing thought that traffic isn't escaping your network and you truly are racing on LAN.

Umer, there is no need to be aggresive

there is obviously some uncertainty, and people trying to help.

If you want to be help full we both have independent internet with routers capable of adding rj45 cables and can do a cable connection.

Maybe poirqc can help.

thanks

MikeyTT
01-06-2015, 17:24

If you want to be help full we both have independent internet with routers capable of adding rj45 cables and can do a cable connection.

Maybe poirqc can help.

thanks

The uncertainty was probably caused by me and I've never tested this. I personally don't recall this being discussed, so both Umer and apophis are probably right.

If you're expecting to just link a cable between the two routers in each house then you're going to have issues. Both routers will be trying to give out DHCP addresses to each of their networks, plus the fact they both have live Internet connections. This will just give you headaches

What you really need to do is hook that cable into the back of your neighbours PC, or into a switch that isn't on their network. Or you're into disabling their DHCP/Internet, which will be a PITA.

Sanuck
01-06-2015, 17:33
The uncertainty was probably caused by me and I've never tested this. I personally don't recall this being discussed, so both Umer and apophis are probably right.

If you're expecting to just link a cable between the two routers in each house then you're going to have issues. Both routers will be trying to give out DHCP addresses to each of their networks, plus the fact they both have live Internet connections. This will just give you headaches

Thanks Mikey.
All understood, this is why i asked the question, to see if some one had done this before.

What you really need to do is hook that cable into the back of your neighbours PC, or into a switch that isn't on their network. Or you're into disabling their DHCP/Internet, which will be a PITA.

Thanks Mikey

hopefully some one has done this
after all not all neighbors are bad "lol"

Any more thoughts. All good.

cheers

ermo
01-06-2015, 17:46
@Sanuck:

I don't think Umer intended to come off as aggressive. The way I parsed it, he was just trying to gauge if you were in possession of enough information to make an informed decision or whether you needed more detailed explanations. :)

Umer Ahmad
01-06-2015, 18:05
Sorry not intentionally aggressive, just want to make sure you have the info u need

ninja'd

apophis
01-06-2015, 20:06

Maybe poirqc can help.

thanks

You have to use the same internet connection, if you want that your data to be sent over lan.
If you simply connect a cable between both networks (which could lead into other problems) the traffic will still go over internet because the game will not know that there is another connection between the 2 PCs.

2 easy possibilities:
- one of you disconnects from the own network and connects to the other network.
- simply try to play over internet. If you don't have too bad internet connection I think you don't see a big difference.

poirqc
01-06-2015, 22:31
In theory, if you want to play on a LAN, you need to be physically connected into a switch(a plain one or a home router). From there, you could try to create a game and start the race. An easy way to check if the traffic if going away outside the LAN is to simply unplug the(INTERNET or WAN) port from the router.

If you get a disconnect, it needs some kind of handshaking that goes over your WAN connetion. If the game goes one, you have what you want! :)

There's lots of easy guide on the web about networking 101. Even if it's not super entertaning, there's so many thing now that are networked, it won't be lost infos.

Good luck.

apophis
01-06-2015, 22:39
In theory, if you want to play on a LAN, you need to be physically connected into a switch(a plain one or a home router). From there, you could try to create a game and start the race. An easy way to check if the traffic if going away outside the LAN is to simply unplug the(INTERNET or WAN) port from the router.

If you get a disconnect, it needs some kind of handshaking that goes over your WAN connetion. If the game goes one, you have what you want! :)

If you want some networking 101 answer, google is your friend.

good luck.

Internet connection is needed, as the game also needs to communicate to steam (steam auth, online lobby ...) and also has a fallback if the direct P2P connection fails for a short time.
So I think (I could be wrong) that the game will disconnect when unplugging the internet connection. No matter if you play directly over LAN or over internet.
But it could be, that it takes a little bit longer to disconnect, if you are playing over LAN ;).

It is also possible to play with with 3 people on lan and some people from internet.
The people, who are together in one LAN will have low latency to each other and "normal" internet connection to the other participants.

In general you are playing online (steam auth, online lobby ...), but the main network traffic will go directly between the people in the LAN, because that is the fastest way for P2P to connect each PCs in the LAN.

poirqc
03-06-2015, 01:01
i auto deleted my post :( beware of the replay to thread button!

I did a little test.

I lauched steam, logged in, unpluged my WAN connection and i was able to play career for a while, without getting booted. My progress was also saved. It's not an Multiplayer game, granted, but it can run by itself.

I can't test the lan part, i don't have friends anymore, i'm that annoying! :)

It's been a while since i tested it, but i stumbled upon this (http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/46476690823724491/). It seems when your steam friend see you when you are on a LAN. Maybe if you create a game with friend list only, you'll be able to bypass the WAN lobby connection?