PDA

View Full Version : No impression of speed

Moonmatrix1
01-06-2015, 18:30
Hi guys,

I don't get the "feeling of speed" when I play Project Cars. Especially with exterior view. It looks so slow. I'm getting good FPS (avg. 50-60) so I'm wondering why everything looks so slow. It makes it really hard to drive the cars as I always have the impression that I'm going slowly. Anyone else gets this? Any suggestion?

Roger Prynne
01-06-2015, 18:36
No problem here... what are your FOV settings?

Moonmatrix1
01-06-2015, 18:39
I'm at work now and I'm not sure but I think probably around 80. I'm playing on a 60inch TV. I also wanted to get the adaptable FOV settings to work but it always ended up being too crazy. Any recommendations?

Pr3t3nd3r
01-06-2015, 18:46
Hi guys,

I don't get the "feeling of speed" when I play Project Cars. Especially with exterior view. It looks so slow. I'm getting good FPS (avg. 50-60) so I'm wondering why everything looks so slow. It makes it really hard to drive the cars as I always have the impression that I'm going slowly. Anyone else gets this? Any suggestion?

I had the exact same problem when I switched from Assetto Corsa to pCARS. You will need some time to get used to it because it's a whole other game. Braking point is different, taking corners is whole other story and so on. Just take your time and you will get used to it ;)

Moonmatrix1
01-06-2015, 18:48
My main issue is not being unable to drive though...It's that it looks slow. It's not fun. I see videos on youtube where it seems to appear much faster.

Roger Prynne
01-06-2015, 18:50
How far away do you sit from your TV... I have a 50" TV and sit about 33" from it.

Lars Rosenquist
01-06-2015, 18:51
My main issue is not being unable to drive though...It's that it looks slow. It's not fun. I see videos on youtube where it seems to appear much faster.

And those most likely have different FOV settings. :)

Mahjik
01-06-2015, 18:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYeiAHsdr0

Moonmatrix1
01-06-2015, 19:00
How far away do you sit from your TV... I have a 50" TV and sit about 33" from it.

I sit about 2.5 meters away

Moonmatrix1
01-06-2015, 19:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYeiAHsdr0

Thank I'll try this!

Moonmatrix1
01-06-2015, 19:04
Anyone can share their FOV speed sensitivity settings?

TheIronWolf
01-06-2015, 19:04
Hi guys,

Excellent topic Moonmatrix. I played GTR2 last Friday and I noticed that I was going so fast that it was scary, not so in pCars.

Which FOV you guys are using? Is there an equation to calciulate "right" FOV based on distance from display/display size?

Moonmatrix1
01-06-2015, 19:06
I just did this "http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de/" and it says my FOV should be 25. It is now 80. Does that make sense?

HBR-Roadhog
01-06-2015, 19:18
I mostly run the hood view with a FOV of 80 or bumper view also 80. I have cockpit set at 40 if I go into that but cockpit view bugs me a bit. I have some vertigo issues and the internal view can make me start to feel sick after a short time so..

The game does not seem super fast but it doesn't seem slow either. For the most part i have been driving some of the slower cars. I did drive the FA a few laps and have driven the Sauber a few laps but most of my driving thus far has been in slower cars such as the G40, Clio, Formula Rookie, a few LMP3s and a couple of the lower end street cars.

Mahjik
01-06-2015, 19:18
Just pick the FOV which best suits you. There is no right or wrong, just what is best for you. With that, use the '[' and ']' keys to adjust the FOV while driving to get the setting that works best (those are the default keys unless you have altered them).

Umer Ahmad
01-06-2015, 20:50
Use some blur or other effects, a perfectly steady cockpit camera is boring and also unrealistic. We are lucky that project cars has the best cockpit/helmet camera in the business.

JeyD02
01-06-2015, 20:56
There is a setting for sense of speed, go in cams view and below you can get tinker with sense of speed.

Roger Prynne
01-06-2015, 20:56
I would imagine it would be hard to get a sense of speed from 2.5 meters away, but I have never tried it in any racing game though, so I don't know.

Moonmatrix1
02-06-2015, 13:09
Man and I thought I was sitting too close to the screen...Don't your eyes hurt sitting so close? I'd love to understand how to set up the speed sensitivity FOV thingy but I can't get it right. IT's always too extreme. Can anyone explain in simple terms how to get it to look good?

Roger Prynne
02-06-2015, 13:20
Man and I thought I was sitting too close to the screen...Don't your eyes hurt sitting so close? I'd love to understand how to set up the speed sensitivity FOV thingy but I can't get it right. IT's always too extreme. Can anyone explain in simple terms how to get it to look good?

Many, many of us sit that close (just look at some of the videos around the Interweb) and no it does not hurt your eyes with today's TV's.
The only thing I can suggest is to keep tweaking because it is personal thing.... what's right for one person is not always right for another.

HBR-Roadhog
02-06-2015, 14:33
My wheel is roughly 1 meter from the screen [40" LCD] so I am maybe ~1.5 meter away when driving.
My brother used to sit about 3 meters from the screen [32" LCD] I'm not sure there was really any difference in the perception of speed but it was a bit harder to drive from that far away. I tried for a while to convince him that he needed to be closer but he always said he couldn't drive closer and claimed he had trouble seeing the whole screen. The funny part was that even though he insisted that he could not see the screen properly when he was close to it he was always faster when driving at my house where he was much closer to the screen ;)