PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Matchmaking Idea

OpticalHercules
02-06-2015, 06:18
If there's any web programmers out there who love this game and have the skills to make this work:

I think a matchmaking website would be perfect for this game. If any of you play Destiny and know what finding groups for raids is like, I think we could take the idea that a player used for that game and easily adapt it to this game, for all three platforms. Take a look at www.destinylfg.com It is a site that creates a short-term listing of players who are looking for others to join various activities in the game.

I don't think it would be difficult for those with the skills to do so (which I do not) to create a page that allows players to list their gamer IDs and system, along with what class car, and perhaps what preferable tracks they would like, and allows others to easily find them while they are active and invite them to their games. Create a time limit on all listings of something like 5-20 minutes so the list will always be current.

An additional feature that could be added to this site is some sort of reputation monitor. Whether you force users to register with this site or not, I don't think it would be hard to create a simple rating/review service to alert other players of wreckers/trolls, making them that much easier to blacklist by clean racers.

OperatorWay
02-06-2015, 06:59
Multiplayer Event Planning (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?124)

OpticalHercules
02-06-2015, 08:06
Yes I know, there's a planning portion to this forum. thanks for pointing it out, as that's just about where I posted this thread in the first place...

Did you even look at the web site I linked? do you have any idea how it works for that game? Having a forum to plan events is one thing, having a listing to get into a game within minutes is another. Not everyone has the time to plan and schedule their play time. some times play time just happens, and then you're stuck in matchmaking with queues that never get more than 3 people at a time before someone leaves, then another leaves, and another, and soon you're back to square one.

I don't know about you, but I spent over 90 minutes in matchmaking tonight, and never did get into a single multiplayer game.

Looking at the planning portion of this forum has its benefits, but each one is a titled listing that you have to click through to hopefully find what you are looking for, and if you're an individual looking for a race (with Microsoft matchmaking being what it is right now, and Sony's being not much better by report), all you can do there is post what you're looking for and HOPE someone clicks on it.

Setting up something similar to LFG would create an extremely simplistic bulletin board that is constantly refreshing itself with new listings as they appear and clearing itself of old listings, with no threads or sub forums to bother with. Just go to the site, see who's there, and go. The buttons within the site even let you send messages and invites to the specified system from the page right there. click and go.

Try investigating a little bit before responding with a snarky comment that offers absolutely nothing that isn't already common knowledge.

Edit: changed FLG to LFG.
Edit #2: Not to mention that in the 4 weeks or so that this game has been public there are a grand total of 86 threads divided by three systems in the forum you link. In the last 5 minutes as of the time of this edit, there were 59 listings on the above mentioned bulletin board in 5 minutes for 1 system. Yes, I understand this is a different genre, and that is for a major studio vs a minor studio, but the LFG site was made by a user and was endorsed publicly by Bungie and it has taken off. Why can't it do the same.

If I've offended you due to aggressive speech, I'm sorry, I've had quite a bit of beer in my 120+ minutes (now) of looking for a multiplayer game that actually progresses form the menu to even a practice, let alone a race.

OperatorWay
02-06-2015, 08:19
...Try investigating a little bit before responding with a snarky comment that offers absolutely nothing that isn't already common knowledge...

Ease up, buddy. Every day people post things on this forum that are "common knowledge" & have already been addressed on other threads, because some people seem to prefer typing entire posts instead of simply typing their inquiries into a search.

Since I don't have an LFG app/site for Project CARS to offer you, I thought I'd try to help by linking you to the next-best-thing that's already available now. Nothing "snarky" was intended.

You're welcome.

OpticalHercules
02-06-2015, 08:34
Please read my edit #2. As I said in there, I'm apologize if my aggressive speech was offensive. I blame Lagunitas Maximus IPA beer. It is so tasty.

Anyway, there is a difference between a forum for listing planned events, and a forum for getting immediate (within 20 minutes or so) events. I applaud those looking to form events days in advance, and I completely agree that is the best way to get a full queue of players in a multiplayer race. But, when play time is time you did not anticipate having days-weeks in advance, you are left with nothing but in-game multiplayer search right now, which on consoles (and maybe PC?) is FAR less than optimal. This is just one option that could be made available. I am sure that are more ideas out there, and I do not doubt that others have ideas superior to my own. Just a three word response REALLY rubbed me the wrong way after so long looking for groups these past few nights, weekends included.

RichRenderBox
13-07-2015, 14:52
Please read my edit #2. As I said in there, I'm apologize if my aggressive speech was offensive. I blame Lagunitas Maximus IPA beer. It is so tasty.

Hey man, check out our site. Following your idea, we created a Project Cars section on our dedicated LFG website.

www.lfg-od.com/pcars-lfg/ (http://lfg-od.com/pcars-lfg/)

Check it out. It's easy to post or find games quickly rather than waiting around in empty lobbies.

Let me know what you think :)