PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 free upgrade

Ripgroove
02-06-2015, 08:09
So I just had the taskbar notification that is offering the upgrade to Windows 10 for free (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq), if I go ahead with it am I likely to face any problems with ProjectCars or hardware drivers etc, anyone here running Windows 10 and have any problems with it? Also I'm assuming that if I do have problems with it that I won't just simply be able to insert my Win8.1 disk and repair or roll back and that I'll have to do a complete wipe and reinstall?

Charger
02-06-2015, 08:18
Only problem I had with it was a memory management issue that gave me a couple of BSOD. quite common but not a deal breaker, it's easy to install and yes you can roll back and it does a good job of it too like it was never there, I'd say give it a go it's a nice OS much better than Win8, bit of a hybrid of 7 and 8.

I was having problems with PCars but it wasn't down to Win 10, I will be upgrading back to it now I have a stable game, added bonus is it has DX12 and I would swear it looked better on Win 10 than 7.

Ripgroove
02-06-2015, 08:24
Only problem I had with it was a memory management issue that gave me a couple of BSOD. quite common but not a deal breaker, it's easy to install and yes you can roll back and it does a good job of it too like it was never there, I'd say give it a go it's a nice OS much better than Win8, bit of a hybrid of 7 and 8.

I was having problems with PCars but it wasn't down to Win 10, I will be upgrading back to it now I have a stable game, added bonus is it has DX12 and I would swear it looked better on Win 10 than 7.

Oh cool well that's encouraging :-)

Ripgroove
02-06-2015, 08:30
I just read that the roll back option does not show up when you upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10 like it does when you upgrade from Win7, BUT there does seem to be a workaround here if anyone is interested:

http://anoopcnair.com/2015/02/09/windows-10-rollback-option-missing-windows-8-1-machines/

Charger
02-06-2015, 08:32
Oh one tip I can give you is unplug all your unnecessary USB stuff and install with just keyboard and mouse as I tried it on my house rig and it failed a couple of times, found it was down to a cheap Bluetooth USB dongle it didn't like, all sorted now though.

Charger
02-06-2015, 08:33
I just read that the roll back option does not show up when you upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10 like it does when you upgrade from Win7, BUT there does seem to be a workaround here if anyone is interested:

http://anoopcnair.com/2015/02/09/windows-10-rollback-option-missing-windows-8-1-machines/

Actually the boot option didn't come up for me on my gaming rig like it did with the house rig, I had to go into control panel and you can select rollback from there.

DHDanny
02-06-2015, 08:35
Is the upgrade like for like, so if I have 64bit W7, I'll upgrade to 64bit W10?

Charger
02-06-2015, 08:37
Ah I just read the article and the bottom bit is what I had to do, easy enough, I think the boot option didn't come up on my gaming rig because the SSD is so fast at boot up, I near shite when I realised I couldn't rollback, I just typed in the start search bar 'rollback' and there it was in the settings.

Charger
02-06-2015, 08:37

Yes

TrevorAustin
02-06-2015, 08:38

You can't go from 32 to 64 or 64 to 32, never have been able to, always a wipe install. So yes.

Hodgy
02-06-2015, 08:41
Is the Logitech g27 driver working in windows 10?

DHDanny
02-06-2015, 08:49
You can't go from 32 to 64 or 64 to 32, never have been able to, always a wipe install. So yes.

Great, thanks. One last question; is it actually an upgrade, or a clean install?

Charger
02-06-2015, 08:49
Is the Logitech g27 driver working in windows 10?

Yes

Charger
02-06-2015, 08:54
Great, thanks. One last question; is it actually an upgrade, or a clean install?

It's an upgrade and retains a windows old folder so you still have all your old OS there but all your documents and programs are retained exactly the same, it's really simple, you can delete the old OS anytime after you are happy everything is working if you need HD space, I have been on the Windows insider program for a while, I actually went back to Win 7 the other day when I troubleshooting PCars and I was talking to my mates on Skype and said I'm going back to Win 7 to see if Win 10 is the problem (it wasn't btw) and I was back on Skype in 10 mins, they didn't believe I had done it that quickly, although this is on an SSD so a standard HD would be a bit longer.

DHDanny
02-06-2015, 08:56
It's an upgrade and retains a windows old folder so you still have all your old OS there but all your documents and programs are retained exactly the same, it's really simple, you can delete the old OS anytime after you are happy everything is working if you need HD space, I have been on the Windows insider program for a while, I actually went back to Win 7 the other day when I troubleshooting PCars and I was talking to my mates on Skype and said I'm going back to Win 7 to see if Win 10 is the problem (it wasn't btw) and I was back on Skype in 10 mins, they didn't believe I had done it that quickly, although this is on an SSD so a standard HD would be a bit longer.

That's brilliant, thanks for the info dude. Looks like I'll be making the change as soon as it's available!

Charger
02-06-2015, 08:59
You can actually get the pre release now if you sign up for the insider preview, all previews will be upgraded to the full retail version anyway, it's pretty much finished to be honest.

DHDanny
02-06-2015, 09:09
You can actually get the pre release now if you sign up for the insider preview, all previews will be upgraded to the full retail version anyway, it's pretty much finished to be honest.

I'll check it out; thanks man!

TrevorAustin
02-06-2015, 09:40

Either, your choice. Although the last preview release I upgraded wasn't really an upgrade as I had to reinstall ALL of my apps.

DHDanny
02-06-2015, 09:43
Either, your choice. Although the last preview release I upgraded wasn't really an upgrade as I had to reinstall ALL of my apps.

Oh, that isn't good, haha. Might just wait till the full final release then.

frankonia12
02-06-2015, 13:04
Is it possible to install Windows10 into a new folder e.g. c:\windows10?

robertedell
02-06-2015, 13:09
So I just had the taskbar notification that is offering the upgrade to Windows 10 for free (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq), if I go ahead with it am I likely to face any problems with ProjectCars or hardware drivers etc, anyone here running Windows 10 and have any problems with it? Also I'm assuming that if I do have problems with it that I won't just simply be able to insert my Win8.1 disk and repair or roll back and that I'll have to do a complete wipe and reinstall?

Windows 10 is still on the rough side and still has some problems, that being said it runs Project cars way better than Windows 7 or 8. You can expect a nice performance gain (for me 30%) when using Windows 10. I recommend doing a dual boot system keep your stable windows 7 or 8 and install windows 10 on a different partition or drive.

TrevorAustin
02-06-2015, 13:10
You mean dual boot?

Yep, http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

GTsimms
02-06-2015, 13:35
Well as far as Win 7 64 bit HP, I have about 225 games installed, 200+ of them for Steam and the rest Origin only minor workarounds like admin/win compatibility fixes or minor coding fixes. Which some of the games have reported problems of not working in Win 8.

Morgan Henstridge
02-06-2015, 13:56
I have been running windows 10 on my laptop since the first preview. It has been much more stable than i would have expected.

For the last few months i have also been running it on my main gaming PC and have not had any issues, except i could not get MotioninJoy to work for the Dual shock 3. Upgraded to an X360 control pad and that works like a charm in all the games i want to use a control pad for.

cerbrus2
02-06-2015, 14:05
Is it possible to install Windows10 into a new folder e.g. c:\windows10?

you can install a separate copy of windows 10 to a different partition. "duel boot" is the term.

RomKnight
02-06-2015, 14:19
you can install a separate copy of windows 10 to a different partition. "duel boot" is the term.

Anything windows is a duel... why I dual boot to linux :p

cerbrus2
02-06-2015, 14:20
Anything windows is a duel... why I dual boot to linux :p

lol stop it nearly spat out my tea.

MikeyTT
02-06-2015, 16:03
If you don't have a 2nd partition or disk for that matter to install Win10 in, then you can use a neat feature to install to a virtual hard drive that way you don't break your current OS and it's a minimal risk exercise. There is a good guide here on how to do that: http://www.neowin.net/news/guide-how-to-install-windows-10-using-vhds

^-- That is essentially dual (duel lol) booting, but not to a physical disk.

Ripgroove
02-06-2015, 16:25
How to upgrades deal with licence keys then? Because currently I have a retail disc and licence key for Win8.1, so what happens to all that when I upgrade to Win10? What if I want to do a reformat and fresh install, how do I get back to Win10 with my Win8.1 disc and licence?

Blackrat
02-06-2015, 17:05
How to upgrades deal with licence keys then? Because currently I have a retail disc and licence key for Win8.1, so what happens to all that when I upgrade to Win10? What if I want to do a reformat and fresh install, how do I get back to Win10 with my Win8.1 disc and licence?

If history is anything to go by, you just install win10 and enter your win 8.1 code (used to have to insert your disk) your licence key will be enabled for Win10. Way back you had to install the old one and then upgrade it but it changed.

Ripgroove
02-06-2015, 17:11
If history is anything to go by, you just install win10 and enter your win 8.1 code (used to have to insert your disk) your licence key will be enabled for Win10. Way back you had to install the old one and then upgrade it but it changed.

But how do you install Win10 if all you have is a Win8.1 disk?

Charger
02-06-2015, 17:14
You download the iso for Windows 10 and you can burn it to a bootable disc or to a USB flash drive and boot a fresh install that way.

Charger
02-06-2015, 17:17

The insider preview is self activating so I would imagine the release is the same as you can install it as a standalone or an upgrade.

Cuba
02-06-2015, 17:31
If running "dual boot" do you have to select an OS or will it default to the newest (Win10) OS when you re-start? Thanks!

Ripgroove
02-06-2015, 17:33
You select each time you boot.

mister dog
02-06-2015, 17:47
Call me conservative, but i really like how W7 runs and is easier and less annoying to use than 8. I know absolutely nothing about W10 but i'm a bit worried it is based around their tiles/ apps movement, and MS is going to try and get hold of your soul by constantly trying to link all your accounts together to their shit (like which is the case with W8).

Are my concerns unfounded? :)

Charger
02-06-2015, 17:51
The linking thing is there as it changes your login to your hotmail account which I'm not that keen on, but the tiles are not in your face any more they are part of the start menu so you keep your original desktop icons.

Cuba
02-06-2015, 17:54
Call me conservative, but i really like how W7 runs and is easier and less annoying to use than 8. I know absolutely nothing about W10 but i'm a bit worried it is based around their tiles/ apps movement, and MS is going to try and get hold of your soul by constantly trying to link all your accounts together to their shit (like which is the case with W8).

It's like a visit to Walter White aka Heisenberg...you know meth (Windows Update) is bad but once you're hooked, they got you.

Ripgroove
02-06-2015, 18:12

My Win8.1 with very few tweaks boots up straight to desktop and looks just like Win7, I never see the tile interface at all. Also with Win8.1 my PC boots up in 9secs from when you push the power button and does a complete reboot in 19secs. Also all my games instantly ran better than they did on Win7.