PDA

View Full Version : Why are driver packages so big?

Saloei
02-06-2015, 10:30
Driver packages just get bigger and bigger. Is that because for each new game engine a new driver has to be written and added to the package? So, when this new game loads, that specific driver is chosen for that game?

MikeyTT
02-06-2015, 12:31
The size of a drivers package I can't comment on. Can't say I've been looking either ;)

As for what you really mean I'm not sure. If you mean the size of the game, then that's all down to the sheer amount of graphical goodness the game ships with. The more modern the game the more it pushes what a PC is capable of then the more disk space it'll take. pCars does nothing with actual drivers as such.

could_do_better
02-06-2015, 12:34
Driver packages just get bigger and bigger. Is that because for each new game engine a new driver has to be written and added to the package? So, when this new game loads, that specific driver is chosen for that game?

Basically you are correct there are different code paths with work arounds for different applications, GPU families, etc.

I think W10 'might' be the clean start that was needed. The performance appears to back that up at present.