PDA

View Full Version : Q6600 CPU 2.40 GHZ 4 GB of RAM nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS for Project CARS

Perri
02-06-2015, 11:23
I would like to purchase Project CARS but I am unsure whether it will work on my PC
I have a Intel Q6600 CPU 2.40 GHZ with 4 GB of RAM with an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Graphics card running on Windows 7 .

Could anyone please inform me if this will work on my PC .

Bealdor
02-06-2015, 11:25
No, you won't be able to play it unfortunately. While the CPU would be sufficiant for Time Trial or small races, the GPU is definitely underpowered. The game most likely won't even start. Sorry.

Siberian Tiger
02-06-2015, 11:28
I don't think it will work on your Configuration.

Your Card (the 8800 GTS) has only 512 MB-Ram (In the Max. Configuration) <- There seems to be also Models with less

Your CPU is also not the newest, but will probably be ok.

And you should go for 8GB Ram. (Not so expensive)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you will upgrade your GPU and Ram you should be able to run it with Low Configuration but surely not more...

BullWinkle
02-06-2015, 11:41
If you are able.,It's time to go shopping.;)
Your Graphics card is definitely underpowered for pCARS sorry to say.

if you do decide to purchase new hardware, there's alot of good knowledgeable people around here that will help with any questions/concerns you may have.:)

Perri
02-06-2015, 11:55
Thank you all for your quick replies .

Ok then what is a good well priced future proof comparable setup to what I have .
I believe at the time in 2006 it was well priced equipment that lasted me until now
at least I think I did my research .

Hopefully nothing is coming out in the to near future
(as long as they are not like Yamaha surround amplifiers
which are great amps but virtually every new model every
year makes the old one defunct consumerism at its worst)

Could be a good excuse to have this old PC as a good server for my
Audiovisual setup .

regards Perri

Broken Brakes
02-06-2015, 12:20

Ok then what is a good well priced future proof comparable setup to what I have .
I believe at the time in 2006 it was well priced equipment that lasted me until now

year makes the old one defunct consumerism at its worst)

Could be a good excuse to have this old PC as a good server for my
Audiovisual setup .

regards Perri

I was in a similar situation to you, i had a 775 mobo, 3.2 ghz dual core @3.7 with 1gig ati 5670 4g ram, it ran slow with one car on track 10-20fps. I couldnt afford a complete system upgrade so i budgeted for a cheap cpu and gpu, 115 for a modded quad xeon @3.5 with a asus 7970 dc2t 1200/1750, the difference after a Os install is like night and day, sitting at the back of the grid at Brands i can have 30 cars at 50fps never drops below 35 racing and averages constant 45+.
I you are going to upgrade, a gpu is in your path regardless, so why not just try upgrading that first and see how your cpu/system and new gpu handle it, then you can decide for a full system upgrade or just the necessary changes.

Just an opinion.

PeoplesChampion
02-06-2015, 12:51

year makes the old one defunct consumerism at its worst.

regards Perri

I will take all those "old" amps off of your hands.. Lol.. All my gear is 2009 or older.. and most is from the 50's and 60's with those awful and outdated tubes. Gosh, all of my old and outdated equipment just... Just... Sounds better than anything that Best Buy even offers.

I'd take my old solid-state Marantz 2275 over any new amp under 2,500 dollars and that's just a basic two-channel amp. My nicer stuff will go in the ground with me.

So yeah, PM me and I will gladly relieve you of your old equipment.. :)

Perri
02-06-2015, 13:09
I also happen to like my valves and would have a lot of trouble parting with them you are right with HiFi the old stuff is so much
nicer in quality and sound .

I have a Marantz 170DC and think that is very hard to beat with speakers that actually go down to a real 20 HZ .

This home theater business is a right scam consistent new formats coming out I just missed out on that Dolby Atmos crap which is very annoying
when you pay top dollar for their supposed flagship model which is now to me obsolete as it cannot play Dolby Atmos which really should of been a firmware
upgrade or least future proof the damn things for 5 years or so .

regards Perri

Perri
02-06-2015, 13:22
I was in a similar situation to you, i had a 775 mobo, 3.2 ghz dual core @3.7 with 1gig ati 5670 4g ram, it ran slow with one car on track 10-20fps. I couldnt afford a complete system upgrade so i budgeted for a cheap cpu and gpu, 115 for a modded quad xeon @3.5 with a asus 7970 dc2t 1200/1750, the difference after a Os install is like night and day, sitting at the back of the grid at Brands i can have 30 cars at 50fps never drops below 35 racing and averages constant 45+.
I you are going to upgrade, a gpu is in your path regardless, so why not just try upgrading that first and see how your cpu/system and new gpu handle it, then you can decide for a full system upgrade or just the necessary changes.

Just an opinion.

Thank you for the heads up will now have a basis for some research , so many more options
and the price hike compared to my Q6600 makes it a daunting task ahead .

Though it does look like I have to go the mother board and GPU/CPU route not
going to be cheap for me it seems and the same funds also have to keep
afloat the other hobbies of HiFi and classic cars might have to go
incremental .

I tried a Raedon graphics card a while back and it just did not like my
Q6600 and mother board worked well if you could stand the
occasional artifacts that would pop up .

regards Paul

cerbrus2
02-06-2015, 14:13
Thank you for the heads up will now have a basis for some research , so many more options
and the price hike compared to my Q6600 makes it a daunting task ahead .

Though it does look like I have to go the mother board and GPU/CPU route not
going to be cheap for me it seems and the same funds also have to keep
afloat the other hobbies of HiFi and classic cars might have to go
incremental .

I tried a Raedon graphics card a while back and it just did not like my
Q6600 and mother board worked well if you could stand the
occasional artifacts that would pop up .

regards Paul

Around the time of the Q6600 release their was a huge battle brewing. And most motherboards either had Nvidia or ATI chipsets in them. using a ATI card on a intel/nvidia chipset board always made for choppy gaming. same with Nvidia cards on AMD/ATI chipset boards. Was also the era of the ROG Crosshair and the Striker extreme. the two Motherboards that set a tone for the decent hardware we have today.

Those where the days.........

Mahjik
02-06-2015, 14:45
Perri,

During the beta period, I ran pCARS with a Q6600 (slightly overclocked) and a ATI 6970 GPU for about 3 years. While FPS wasn't that great, it would run but I would have to avoid the rain races with other cars. I could do rain without other cars on the track which was fine for tire testing. While it wasn't the best, it did work. I built a new system which is (mostly) listed in my signature. If you want more details on my system, just let me know (but it's not anything really special).

PeoplesChampion
02-06-2015, 22:29
I also happen to like my valves and would have a lot of trouble parting with them you are right with HiFi the old stuff is so much
nicer in quality and sound .

I have a Marantz 170DC and think that is very hard to beat with speakers that actually go down to a real 20 HZ .

This home theater business is a right scam consistent new formats coming out I just missed out on that Dolby Atmos crap which is very annoying
when you pay top dollar for their supposed flagship model which is now to me obsolete as it cannot play Dolby Atmos which really should of been a firmware
upgrade or least future proof the damn things for 5 years or so .

regards Perri

I agree, completely. Which is why I like to keep it mostly simple. High quality components and good music, just never goes out of style. However, I have to agree with you.. Remember THX?

Perri
03-06-2015, 03:29
So anyone out there know of an equivalent to my Intel Q6600 and nVidia 66000 GTS , GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4
the newer stuff these days looks a lot more expensive and seems you get less bang for your buck .

HBR-Roadhog
03-06-2015, 04:03
The FX8350 runs the game pretty well and is at a good price point, cheaper than what the Q6600 was a few years ago.
The GTX750 TI card runs it pretty well on medium settings @60fps with 56 cars.
I use a gigabyte 970A-DS3P mother board and 8 gigs a ddr3

I think the board was just under $100, the processor and video card were around $150 each

I would recommend a decent after market cooler for the CPU as the stock cooler is a bit on the noisy side and does not keep it as cool as some of the other choices. I think the one I bought was only about $29 but has a 120mm fan that is quiet and keeps the CPU at ~50c while playing the game and under 30c when idle sometimes as low as 16c

Perri
03-06-2015, 07:42
The FX8350 runs the game pretty well and is at a good price point, cheaper than what the Q6600 was a few years ago.
The GTX750 TI card runs it pretty well on medium settings @60fps with 56 cars.
I use a gigabyte 970A-DS3P mother board and 8 gigs a ddr3

I think the board was just under $100, the processor and video card were around $150 each

I would recommend a decent after market cooler for the CPU as the stock cooler is a bit on the noisy side and does not keep it as cool as some of the other choices. I think the one I bought was only about $29 but has a 120mm fan that is quiet and keeps the CPU at ~50c while playing the game and under 30c when idle sometimes as low as 16c

Thank you for the recommendations will have a browse tonight always was more of an AMD fan :-)

Charger
03-06-2015, 09:14
Here's one I knocked together recently using used parts mainly from EBay,

FX8320 (as new)80
16GB Patriot Viper Black Mamba 2400Mhz (new) 80
Gigabyte 990FX UD3 (refurb) 50
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD (new) 65
Zotac 2GB GTX 770 twin cooler (used) 100
Antec HCG 900w (used) 40
Coolermaster Seidon 120v CPU Watercooler closed loop (new) 35

So 450 for a decent system that's running PCars at 1680x1050 on a 120hz monitor at around 75fps mostly on high except grass is off (dips to around 50 with weather).

It can be done on the cheap but takes a lot of watching items and bidding but also making a deal before the auction ends, the GTX770 was a bargain as it looked brand new and was boxed with everything.

I upgraded before PCars came out from a Q6600/DDR2 8GB/ Gigabyte 965p DS3R/Thermaltake Toughpower 750w PSU/GTX580 and got about 130 for the bits but still have the PSU and GTX580 which I was going to use as Physx until I found out it's done on the CPU.

If anyone needs a GTX580 or PSU let me know as they are going cheap ;)

I loved my Q6600 it overclocked like a champ with a couple of button presses and I ran it at 3.2 365 days a year.

BullWinkle
03-06-2015, 09:55
Pretty sure the 8320/8350 will only support up to DDR3-1866. :)

Charger
03-06-2015, 11:33
Yes natively it will but I got it running at 2400Mhz with turning off the boost and setting a manual clock to 4Ghz and jiggling a few timings around, it wouldn't make much difference anyway from 1866Mhz as the timings are tighter on the 1866 speed as the CL on the 2400 had to be higher 11 instead of 9. I only bought it because at the time it worked out cheaper and it gives me more wiggle room on my next upgrade which may make use of it in the future.

I had to drop it down to 1866 anyway because PCars didn't like it and I dropped the CPU back to stock with auto boost back on as well so the bios is back at standard as I was having a load of unhandled exceptions, I have now got it stable and I don't think it was either so I will be putting the CPU back up to 4Ghz+ as I can actually use less volts at a static speed than using boost which pushes the volts higher than needed on auto, if that goes Ok and it's stable I will put the RAM back up as well.

But yes in essence you are correct all you need is 1866 but 2400 seems sometimes to be cheaper as not many people think you can use it which is a bonus.

If you are only using 2 sticks in dual channel of 4GB or 8GB it can be overclocked, I have 4 sticks of 4GB 2400 in my other rig with an FX6300 and can't get that past 1600 on a 970 board so it's hit and miss.

You have very similar specs to me looking at your rig, my GTX580 would go nicely in yours lol, I was going to stick it in my FX6300 rig but got a GTX760 bought faulty for 50 which turned out to have warranty so RMA'd it and got a new one, bargain, I had a Palit 570 Sonic Platinum in it before which was factory clocked faster than the 580, great card, Palit are underrated, it weighed a ton, only sold that one recently for 50 so it all worked out nicely and my upgrades haven't cost much.

BullWinkle
03-06-2015, 21:38
Yes natively it will but I got it running at 2400Mhz with turning off the boost and setting a manual clock to 4Ghz and jiggling a few timings around, it wouldn't make much difference anyway from 1866Mhz as the timings are tighter on the 1866 speed as the CL on the 2400 had to be higher 11 instead of 9. I only bought it because at the time it worked out cheaper and it gives me more wiggle room on my next upgrade which may make use of it in the future.

I had to drop it down to 1866 anyway because PCars didn't like it and I dropped the CPU back to stock with auto boost back on as well so the bios is back at standard as I was having a load of unhandled exceptions, I have now got it stable and I don't think it was either so I will be putting the CPU back up to 4Ghz+ as I can actually use less volts at a static speed than using boost which pushes the volts higher than needed on auto, if that goes Ok and it's stable I will put the RAM back up as well.

But yes in essence you are correct all you need is 1866 but 2400 seems sometimes to be cheaper as not many people think you can use it which is a bonus.

If you are only using 2 sticks in dual channel of 4GB or 8GB it can be overclocked, I have 4 sticks of 4GB 2400 in my other rig with an FX6300 and can't get that past 1600 on a 970 board so it's hit and miss.

You have very similar specs to me looking at your rig, my GTX580 would go nicely in yours lol, I was going to stick it in my FX6300 rig but got a GTX760 bought faulty for 50 which turned out to have warranty so RMA'd it and got a new one, bargain, I had a Palit 570 Sonic Platinum in it before which was factory clocked faster than the 580, great card, Palit are underrated, it weighed a ton, only sold that one recently for 50 so it all worked out nicely and my upgrades haven't cost much.

Informative info, thanks Charger. I'm hoping later in the summer to upgrade my GPU to something abit more recent. Right now i think it's pretty much the bottleneck in my system, we'll see how the prices go this summer. Would like to get a GTX970 if there's a bit of a price drop on them. Might even look at a AMD card if they get there act together...Did I just say that?..scary. LOL.:D

John Hargreaves
03-06-2015, 21:54
I had a similar system when pCars dev first started and it just about ran it. If I were you I would first upgrade your game collection to include pCars, 25-30 quid or so, and that will then give you the reason and motivation to spend all the rest of the money upgrading your PC to play it as intended. Its easier to find the cash if you really want the thing. I paid more money for my guttering fixing on my house than I did for my graphics card, but I dont need to tell you which one gave me most pleasure.

mouthpiec
26-07-2015, 07:44
i was going through this thread .... if you are interested i run pcars with low settings on my pc (specs in my signature) In the near future I will replace the GPU with a GTX750 2GB DDR5.
if I will not be happy with the result (at least running smooth on medium settings) I will go for an I5.