PDA

View Full Version : Asymmetrical vs Symmetrical: Pros & Cons?

mcarver2000
02-06-2015, 15:22
It seems that most setups I see are symmetrical. However, I have found that a balanced setup almost always needs to be asymmetrical. In general, other than camber, my setups are not extremely asymmetrical. What is your approach?

MULTIVITZ
04-06-2015, 09:37
I need to assess a finalised tune for a track and car. Not had time or inclination to go that far into getting results. I may do a long post about it, it ranges from simple to very complex methods. I would have to post external links and although it would be good, some are having trouble getting over old games, it happens to everyone, one way or another. Stopping a front tyre burning is best done in a staged aproch, say the easiest identifiable remedy first then, more ride altering methods, it lets the driver know what to expect each time they drive an altered car. Theres only so much the driver can correct when they need the car off the race line! If you're very good at it you wouldn't notice it much on the car at any point of the track! Jmtc

danpinho
04-06-2015, 18:37
After Google it look what I found:

When testing a vehicle on a rig, I generate a number that is a measure of the dynamic asymmetry of the vehicle & it's suspension. I pay attention to that number, mostly because it is usually a signature if a faulty set-up. I have seen an asymmetric F1 vehicle only once in over ten years of testing. There is a humorous story about that which I can't relate here (but it was a mistake).

I should add that I don't necessarily see a race-prepared vehicle, of course, but I do often see what is posted as actual race set-ups. They are symmetrical too.

Recognising JT's comment, I have in the past rig tested both CHAMP & Indy cars in road course trim. They are often asymmetric. I argue the case for symmetry, but I think race engineers in the USA are so used to oval set-up's that they think nothing of it. As it happens, I have also proved my point on one occasion.

IMO it is an interesting point of view.

Source (http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12962)

GPHowell
05-06-2015, 09:26
As a relative newbie to racing sims, I'm enjoying the set-up and tuning aspect of pCars (even though it often doesn't save them properly) on PS4.

I have a general question though: it seems to me that it's not possible to have a symmetrical set-up and get symmetrical tire temps- is that correct?

Most of my racing so far has been in the Clio and if I run both front tires at eg, 1.65 bar then I frequently see one tire at 120 C and the other at 105 C. I can get the tires to run at the same temp eg, 115 C but only by having tire pressures of, say, 1.65 on the left and 1.45 on the right.

So, is it better to have asymmetric tire pressures and match the left/right tire temps or keep the pressures the same and accept a temp difference of up to 20C?

Thanks in advance

JessicaWalter
05-06-2015, 09:32
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29353-Asymmetrical-vs-Symmetrical-Pros-amp-Cons&highlight=symmetry

Bealdor
05-06-2015, 09:33
Since a race track always goes either clockwise or counterclockwise you'll always have warmer tires on one side than on the other.
As long as the temperatures on both sides are in the "working window" this shouldn't be a problem.
It's not desirable to have equal temperatures on both sides because the car setup would include far too many compromises to make this happen, which would result in slower laptimes.

Even with asymmetrical setups this is almost impossible to achieve. That's why you often see right side only tire changes in NASCAR for example (and those cars are the definition of asymmetry ;)).

Edit: Threads merged. Thanks Mrs. Walter.

GPHowell
05-06-2015, 10:18
Splendid, thanks for the info.

mcarver2000
05-06-2015, 13:55
Thanks, made for an interesting read.

After Google it look what I found:

IMO it is an interesting point of view.

Source (http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12962)

mcarver2000
05-06-2015, 14:00
That is one of my first goals, to "attempt" close temps between Left & Right tires. And with pCARS, I usually start with tire pressure. Lowering the swaybar can also help bring them closer. I think having closer tire temps on the front for a FWD car is important for both acceleration and braking.

As a relative newbie to racing sims, I'm enjoying the set-up and tuning aspect of pCars (even though it often doesn't save them properly) on PS4.

I have a general question though: it seems to me that it's not possible to have a symmetrical set-up and get symmetrical tire temps- is that correct?

Most of my racing so far has been in the Clio and if I run both front tires at eg, 1.65 bar then I frequently see one tire at 120 C and the other at 105 C. I can get the tires to run at the same temp eg, 115 C but only by having tire pressures of, say, 1.65 on the left and 1.45 on the right.

So, is it better to have asymmetric tire pressures and match the left/right tire temps or keep the pressures the same and accept a temp difference of up to 20C?

Thanks in advance