PDA

View Full Version : Tilt/motion control with dualshock 4

stoogie13
02-06-2015, 18:35
Just wondered if anyone who uses the dualshock 4 will be trying the tilt control after the update?
I ask because I played 'Need for Speed shift' on the Nintendo wii a few years ago with the 'wii-mote' clipped into a small wheel and no joke, it was brilliant, obviously it was no thrustmaster t500 with racing seat lol but it felt surprisingly good...

I for one am looking forward to trying this as surely it's gotta be better than twiddling my thumbs til I get a proper wheel.

Diablo944
02-06-2015, 18:38
Is tilt in the update?

McKiernan
02-06-2015, 18:39
Is tilt in the update?

Yes.

stoogie13
02-06-2015, 19:23
Yep, tilts in the update, I heard a while ago that it wasn't gonna be included so took me by surprise... Looking forward to trying it. ��

Diablo944
03-06-2015, 00:09
205888Looks like the price of those weird controller wheels is about to go up when all the armchair racers realise that tilts an option.

HILLBILLY GAMING
19-06-2015, 08:10
Just wondered if anyone who uses the dualshock 4 will be trying the tilt control after the update?
I ask because I played 'Need for Speed shift' on the Nintendo wii a few years ago with the 'wii-mote' clipped into a small wheel and no joke, it was brilliant, obviously it was no thrustmaster t500 with racing seat lol but it felt surprisingly good...

I for one am looking forward to trying this as surely it's gotta be better than twiddling my thumbs til I get a proper wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b54-qphPV1M

ssijak
19-06-2015, 08:17
I tried it and it have good potential, but I think you have to have some wheel-like holder for the controller to use tilt well. Because if you use it with your hands only without anything else you have more degrees of motion freedom (push-pull, diagonal, etc.) in 3d space so it is hard to get it right.

James Boulton
19-06-2015, 08:33
Glad people are liking it. :D

KK78
19-06-2015, 10:29
205888Looks like the price of those weird controller wheels is about to go up when all the armchair racers realise that tilts an option.

I have one of those, ironically not that good for Driveclub because that game needs such fast reactions in the faster cars but could be good for PCars, will give it a test.

stoogie13
19-06-2015, 10:43
I've been using it when I get chance and I'm loving it... It's no 500 wheel and pedals set-up but it's much better than trying to use a thumb stick until I can sort a proper wheel out..
Had to change some controller settings and bought a clip on wheel off ebay for 5 and very pleased with it.

John Hargreaves
19-06-2015, 11:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b54-qphPV1M

I like this guy

Thebinnoyanno
19-06-2015, 17:04
Where can I find the settings to put the motion on guys?

RockyAlexander
20-06-2015, 03:53
Where can I find the settings to put the motion on guys?

Controller assignments. Assign "tilt left" to left steering, and so on.

Octane100
20-06-2015, 16:26
Unbelievable, Ive got to give this a try, i thought motion controls were nothing but a gimmick designed to impress kids. Oh how wrong i was it turns out its quite an invaluable tool for dS4 users to get precise inputs.

Im not bad with a DS4 and dont have any problem controlling any car in the game without aids ( i only use ABS on cars that have it in real life)
What do you guys use for gas and brake ? Is it possible to use the triggers and tilt steer ? WHat about changing gears ? I only drive manual ive currently got shift up mapped to triangle and shift down mapped to square, would i still be able to use this button config ?

Id be interested to hear more user feedback on this.

Thanks

Ian Bell
20-06-2015, 16:28
Unbelievable, Ive got to give this a try, i thought motion controls were nothing but a gimmick designed to impress kids. Oh how wrong i was it turns out its quite an invaluable tool for dS4 users to get precise inputs.

Im not bad with a DS4 and dont have any problem controlling any car in the game without aids ( i only use ABS on cars that have it in real life)
What do you guys use for gas and brake ? Is it possible to use the triggers and tilt steer ? WHat about changing gears ? I only drive manual ive currently got shift up mapped to triangle and shift down mapped to square, would i still be able to use this button config ?

Thanks

My hands get darn tired after a while, but it's surprisingly 'organic' and more analogue than you'd expect.

ssijak
20-06-2015, 18:57

Thanks

You must use trigers, or one of the sticks for the gas/brake anything else does not make sense. Other than that, I personaly use stock control assignements. At first it was really strange to dose gas and brake with triggers while changing gears on the r1/l1 buttons because you have to hold the controller differently then in casual games, but now it is alright.

JudgeNutmeg
20-06-2015, 19:01
I think this is a great implementation of motion control and find it has made a great difference to me playing the game with the DS4. I'd like to thank SMS for including this feature. I think some people may think it is a gimmick but DS4 users, please give it a try for a few laps before you write it off. Also you don't have to hold it out in front like a wheel, you can just use it held normally and tilt it for smoother control.