PDA

View Full Version : Using car's driving aids (ABS, TC etc)

razorseal
03-06-2015, 01:34
I'm not sure about this so I figured I ask...

I know many cars (like the new corvette) has something called PTM (Performance Traction Mode) and other cars have different/varying versions of traction control etc. I believe some GT3 (and even F1) cars/drivers use traction control etc to aid the driver. Now I always hear turn everything off and control the car for best times. Well these features help the real cars out and they're (somewhat) available in the game for the cars. My question is, do you guys use them, or turn them off? I know for F1 it's a god send with all that power. the Z4 GT3 car uses it often as well I believe. I don't know about others.. I know it's there for them though. I suppose I can get on the track and see if it helps me lower my times (which I'm doing) but I figured I ask here. It does help me control the car better, but I dont want to feel like I'm cheating and I've turned the realism down either. I guess that's why I'm asking. just FYI i'm not talking about brake/steer assist.

Daynja
03-06-2015, 02:15
F1 hasnt used TC for many years.Your slower if you use TC but its easier to learn that car if your a bit heavy on the throttle.

Some cars are designed around having them installed (The cars that get unlocked set up options when the real driving aids options turned on like the Clio Cup series)

r4y30n
03-06-2015, 02:56
It only slows you down if you're a real pro. On current Ferrari road cars all their testing indicates the average driver is faster with assists on. But that's in a car with ABS, traction and stability control that were designed from the outset to make the car faster on the track, your average Honda will not be set up like that.

DayGlow
03-06-2015, 02:59
I just set the game to 'realistic' so the cars that have ABS and TC in real life have it in the game as well.

razorseal
03-06-2015, 03:17
F1 hasnt used TC for many years.Your slower if you use TC but its easier to learn that car if your a bit heavy on the throttle.

Some cars are designed around having them installed (The cars that get unlocked set up options when the real driving aids options turned on like the Clio Cup series)

Don't they have some type of stability control though?

I just set the game to 'realistic' so the cars that have ABS and TC in real life have it in the game as well.

I believe you have to turn them on still.

apexatspeed
03-06-2015, 03:44

F1 cars do not have stability control or traction control.

razorseal
03-06-2015, 03:56
F1 cars do not have stability control or traction control.

Interesting. I thought they did which was one big advantage for them over other racing cars (that go VERY fast)... Guess not.

xXDoc187Xx
03-06-2015, 05:10

I believe you have to turn them on still.

No they will be set automatically for example road cars will have all assist turned on , gt3 will have abs and stm turned on , LMP 2 will just have stm on

TheIronWolf
03-06-2015, 05:56
I'm not sure about this so I figured I ask...

I know many cars (like the new corvette) has something called PTM (Performance Traction Mode) and other cars have different/varying versions of traction control etc. I believe some GT3 (and even F1) cars/drivers use traction control etc to aid the driver. Now I always hear turn everything off and control the car for best times. Well these features help the real cars out and they're (somewhat) available in the game for the cars. My question is, do you guys use them, or turn them off? I know for F1 it's a god send with all that power. the Z4 GT3 car uses it often as well I believe. I don't know about others.. I know it's there for them though. I suppose I can get on the track and see if it helps me lower my times (which I'm doing) but I figured I ask here. It does help me control the car better, but I dont want to feel like I'm cheating and I've turned the realism down either. I guess that's why I'm asking. just FYI i'm not talking about brake/steer assist.

Since Project CARS doesn't have any real life series license (unfortunately, SMS probably would've done better job than current owners) what I do I would pick series I like (from other games like R3E or mods from SimBin games) and look into their technical regulations. When, pretend I am playing them. So, ADAC series (GT cars are close to that in pCars) have ABS and TC, but not stability control. Same, IIRC applies to FIA GT3 cars.

BTW, I find pCars suspiciously unspinnable (with or without "Real" electronic aids), but who knows, maybe that's how it is in real life.

hkraft300
03-06-2015, 06:49
No they will be set automatically for example road cars will have all assist turned on , gt3 will have abs and stm turned on , LMP 2 will just have stm on

LMP2 has SC? Didn't know! Figured they'd be running without any aids.

Interesting. I thought they did which was one big advantage for them over other racing cars (that go VERY fast)... Guess not.

Current F1 are running brake-by-wire. Not sure if there is any physical connection between brake pedal and disc (no more hydraulic link, only electric sensors?) but they have incorporated energy recovery systems for the KERS on the rear axle... I think maybe they can't have ABS because of vibration/flat-spots

Pretty sure they had traction control for a few years (near the end of the V10 era or through the V8 era?) but considering the output power of the monsters, TC can only go so far to save your arse if you're loose with the throttle!

PS I drive with assists off but mainly drive FA/Lotus/LMP and personally TC makes some car behavior feel unnatural and I like to have ABS off to prevent me over-cooking the front tires. Even though I can stop on a dime with ABS, my front tires feel cooked and the car understeers a lot more. Practice :)

Bealdor
03-06-2015, 07:24
LMP2 has SC? Didn't know! Figured they'd be running without any aids.

LMP2 and LMP1 cars have TC (but no SC or ABS).

Roger Prynne
03-06-2015, 12:11
Also if you set Assists to real you can turn them off and on individually if you have a button/key mapped for them.
That way you can experiment to see what suits you best... also you may want to use TC for example in the rain.

hkraft300
03-06-2015, 14:45
I find pCars suspiciously unspinnable (with or without "Real" electronic aids), but who knows, maybe that's how it is in real life.

Lies! give the lotus 49-98t a go :p or the R18... or the formula a/b... or gt3... or ford sierra...

LMP2 and LMP1 cars have TC (but no SC or ABS).

interesting! TC on for the R18 now I reckon :)

TrevorAustin
03-06-2015, 14:51
If you want to run it as a sim set them to real, if you want the easiest driving experience set them all on if you want to join the macho "I win every race and never use assists because I'm too cool" brigade turn them all off.

If oyu fancy trying it leave it to real and map the buttons and you can see what makes you faster:)

Hondo
03-06-2015, 15:04
Can you set assist to real in multiplayer?

TrevorAustin
03-06-2015, 15:06

Honestly have no idea, I would hope so!

Mahjik
03-06-2015, 16:03
BTW, I find pCars suspiciously unspinnable (with or without "Real" electronic aids), but who knows, maybe that's how it is in real life.

I find these comments interesting considering the number of players online who loop their cars all the time. Are you playing online or offline only?

apexatspeed
03-06-2015, 16:35
If you want to run it as a sim set them to real, if you want the easiest driving experience set them all on if you want to join the macho "I win every race and never use assists because I'm too cool" brigade turn them all off.

If oyu fancy trying it leave it to real and map the buttons and you can see what makes you faster:)

Why do you have to bring it down to the level of insulting players who use assists off? Does that make you feel better about having to rely on stability control to save your ass?

Umer Ahmad
03-06-2015, 16:48
^why did u get defensive about that? He didnt insult YOU specifically.

Let it be. He was giving his direct guidance to the OP.

danpinho
03-06-2015, 17:00
Why do you have to bring it down to the level of insulting players who use assists off? Does that make you feel better about having to rely on stability control to save your ass?

Agree. Not even close to "be polite" with people who are not just like you!

apexatspeed
03-06-2015, 17:06
^why did u get defensive about that? He didnt insult YOU specifically.

Let it be. He was giving his direct guidance to the OP.

He didn't insult me? Let us go back and take a look at what he said.

"join the macho 'I win every race and never use assists because I'm too cool' brigade turn them all off"

I believe that is an insult directly toward me since I am included in the group he singled out. He brought us down to make himself feel good like a classic school yard bully.

ROTTEN
03-06-2015, 17:26
I've been using all assists off with my DS4 controller and doing rather well, but I wonder if I would benefit from setting the assists to real?? hmmmmmm .....

Rusty Monk
03-06-2015, 17:30
He didn't insult me. Let us go back and take a look at what he said.

"join the macho 'I win every race and never use assists because I'm too cool' brigade turn them all off"

I believe that is an insult directly toward me since I am included in the group he singled out. He brought us down to make himself feel good like a classic school yard bully.

Really, someone cant make a slightly comical remark and not offend anyone? He wasnt insulting he was making a slight parody. The same can be made at people who use assists, seriously why does everyone get so uptight on here?

GT_Racing
03-06-2015, 17:43
Really, someone cant make a slightly comical remark and not offend anyone? He wasnt insulting he was making a slight parody. The same can be made at people who use assists, seriously why does everyone get so uptight on here?

Yeah. I guess its better then driving with the monkeys using stability control with the dexterity and reaction time of a cracked out sloth that cant keep a car from spinning out.

Dont get mad guys. It was just a joke...

Mahjik
03-06-2015, 18:03
BTW, I don't usually comment in these "do you run assists on or not" threads. Not that the OP intended this thread to end up this way, but every thread about assists always turns out this way.

Most assists don't necessarily make a driver faster, but it definitely can make a driver more consistent over the distance of a race. I used to do the rFactor endurance races with a few different series like RaceDepartment and VLMS/ERL. These leagues (and others) had some of the fastest sim racers out there and guess what, if assists were allowed they were using them during the races (not necessarily during qualifying). The Enduracers mod is doing something similar to what SMS has provided which is give realistic aids for the cars and just about everyone has them enabled.

Funny story, my team Satellite Racing had been struggling in the races. We saw the stats for the races and we were the ONLY team NOT using the available aids. :p While we were macho, we weren't winning. Food for thought.

hkraft300
03-06-2015, 18:13
Don't be a girly man. Turn off all assists

<- Macho as fuck

sure I'm probably slower with it but I prefer the heart-attack sideways moments and the satisfaction of catching it... and the drama and emotional rollercoaster of leading a race and spinning/crashing in the last few laps (because I'm macho as fuck and don't use assists) and winning by fractions of a second etc... the battle, the glory of the podium and wins, the heartache of lost race... its macho drama, not the real housewives of wherever drama. there's a difference :P

Roger Prynne
03-06-2015, 20:49
Why do you have to swear on an open forum?

apexatspeed
03-06-2015, 20:56

You have a problem with profanity not directed at anyone, but won't say anything to someone blatantly insulting people? That seems pretty backwards. Unless of course you didn't see the insults that are now justified as jokes.

Roger Prynne
03-06-2015, 21:08
Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but there's no need to include that sort of profanity is there?
And no I didn't need to see the rest of the post's, just that one was enough.
If you want to argue with each other do it via PM as we have enough of this already.

o Mike V o
03-06-2015, 21:09
I have mine set to 'real' but if you are using the race cars no doubt you will be quicker and more consistent with TC on. I am kind of iffy on ABS though not sure if I am liking it or not. That being said If the lobby I'm in has forced assists off, I am completely cool with it because I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage.

TrevorAustin
03-06-2015, 21:21

Oh dear God, I can see why you needed the Pegi 3 rating for this game, lol. My comment was a personal opinion no more. I haver never known such a bunch of easily offended people, well not since year 7 anyway. I will be more careful not to avoi the precious in future, seem to be a lot about today. I fear for when some of you start work, you'll find people at work generally take the mick out of each other a lot, as I'm sure the sms/wmd teams do. Nobody goes home crying, it's all part of the banter about forming relationships.

Edit, I see this has already been covered, and it wasn't an insult, it was fact, people drive without assists because it's macho. Same as I go to the gym and lift weights, because that does make me feel better about myself. not that I need to justify myself, I shall resort to the obvious way to avoid the bickering from now on.

apexatspeed
03-06-2015, 21:30
Oh dear God, I can see why you needed the Pegi 3 rating for this game, lol. My comment was a personal opinion no more. I haver never known such a bunch of easily offended people, well not since year 7 anyway. I will be more careful not to avoi the precious in future, seem to be a lot about today.

Edit, I see this has already been covered, and it wasn't an insult, it was fact, people drive without assists because it's macho. Same as I go to the gym and lift weights, because that does make me feel better about myself. not that I need to justify myself, I shall resort to the obvious way to avoid the bickering from now on.

You talk about not insulting a large group of people (which you did) and then proceed to write another insulting message. Are you confused about something? Maybe you just can't grasp how normal adults communicate.

You talk about me needing a E rated game when you've got guys on here who can't handle a little profanity. Go sit down somewhere.

Edit: I found this little quote. Who said this? "I wouldn't have made any comment if you hadn't felt the need to neg me with a snide comment."

Roger Prynne
03-06-2015, 21:39
it was fact, people drive without assists because it's macho
Where do you get these facts from?
People do what they do because they choose to, and it suits them.

Bealdor
03-06-2015, 21:43
Can we stop the pointless arguing please?
Everybody has his/her own preferences regarding driving aids and it's not your/our business to judge those decisions.

Roger Prynne
03-06-2015, 21:46
Can we stop the pointless arguing please?
Everybody has his/her own preferences regarding driving aids and it's not your/our business to judge those decisions.
I thought I would put that one in quick.

legatoblues
03-06-2015, 21:53
Can anyone confirm that the "Real Assists" option is working correctly or not? I had this box ticked and when I checked a leaderboard time I had set, I saw that it listed me as running all of the assists, including stability control, even though this car should have had none...

Roger Prynne
03-06-2015, 21:57
^^^ Known problem mate.

Remik
03-06-2015, 22:21
I don't use aids like ABS, TC etc. at all :yes: = more fun ;)
...this same with Assetto Corsa.
I use only Realistic settings with rFactor2 ;)

Hondo
03-06-2015, 22:26
Honestly have no idea, I would hope so!

Well I juts had a round if I can set Assist to real in multiplayer and I dont see it. Can someone else also check.

TrevorAustin
03-06-2015, 22:34
Where do you get these facts from?
People do what they do because they choose to, and it suits them.

Lol, true, absolutely not a fact. WHat I meant was in my opinion, wasn't even saying it was wrong anyway:) However pretty much all of the comments I see on here from people who drive without assists look down on those that don't, which is where my opinion came from. Don't really see why everybody can't just use whatever they want without being judged:) I started with everything on so I could enjoy it I prefer it with real so I can get as close as I can to what the actual car feels like sitting in my living room with goggles on and a plastic steering wheel. SO not too real but I can kid myself.

TrevorAustin
03-06-2015, 22:36
Well I juts had a round if I can set Assist to real in multiplayer and I dont see it. Can someone else also check.

That's a shame if it's the case. Although I guess whoever was setting a race up could choose what the class they have setup allowed assists are?

Hondo
04-06-2015, 00:45
That's a shame if it's the case. Although I guess whoever was setting a race up could choose what the class they have setup allowed assists are?

The problem is knowing which car has which assists and then enabling it. Assist set to real automatically takes care of this in single player.

DayGlow
04-06-2015, 02:32
I'm sorry, but I have to interrupt here; wouldn't a cracked out sloth have faster reactions?

GT_Racing
04-06-2015, 02:38
I'm sorry, but I have to interrupt here; wouldn't a cracked out sloth have faster reactions?

Yeah I thought about that after I posted it, but lets just assume it is a crackhead sloth that has been going through withdrawls. Since said sloth cant get crack he has been shooting up (yes injecting) alcohol to get by. So he is a drunk crackhead sloth having withdrawls. Not necessarily cracked out.

razorseal
04-06-2015, 02:50
wow didn't expect this... jeez...

let's be honest. this is a game, on a fricking computer. Relax everyone. lol

TrevorAustin
04-06-2015, 07:04
The problem is knowing which car has which assists and then enabling it. Assist set to real automatically takes care of this in single player.

Yep, makes it easier, and its fun coming up to a corner not kmowing whats turned on:)

Suppose Google could help here.

Sascha F.
04-06-2015, 10:20
^^^ Known problem mate.

Hi Roger,
is this actually being worked on? I've experienced the same, sometimes there's even stability control and traction control activated in the Formula A when driving aids are set to real, even though the hud motec in outside view shows no aids. This would explain why some guys feel pcars is "too easy" for them - no wonder when they are cruising around with SC enabled. Sometimes its SC+TC on but ABS off, sometimes SC+ABS on but TC off, little bit random as it seems.

I couldn't find a thread about that in the last days, and even in elmo's "Known Issues" thread there is no mention of that problem or I overlooked it. Just wanted to create a thread but then I saw this and it seems to be already known, so no need for that.

For now, the only workable solution for me seems to be switching aids completely off, or allow "all" and then just set them accordingly, but the "real" setting seems to be really buggy.

Can you point me where it's discussed, or is it in the closed WMD forums?

Thanks in advance,

Sascha

legatoblues
04-06-2015, 10:49
^^^ Known problem mate.

Thanks Roger.

Roger Prynne
04-06-2015, 11:10
Hi Roger,
is this actually being worked on? I've experienced the same, sometimes there's even stability control and traction control activated in the Formula A when driving aids are set to real, even though the hud motec in outside view shows no aids. This would explain why some guys feel pcars is "too easy" for them - no wonder when they are cruising around with SC enabled. Sometimes its SC+TC on but ABS off, sometimes SC+ABS on but TC off, little bit random as it seems.

I couldn't find a thread about that in the last days, and even in elmo's "Known Issues" thread there is no mention of that problem or I overlooked it. Just wanted to create a thread but then I saw this and it seems to be already known, so no need for that.

For now, the only workable solution for me seems to be switching aids completely off, or allow "all" and then just set them accordingly, but the "real" setting seems to be really buggy.

Can you point me where it's discussed, or is it in the closed WMD forums?

Thanks in advance,

Sascha

It's got nothing to do with the actual Assists that a user is using in-game, it's just a bug in the way it is displayed in the Leaderboards is all. It's got something to do with the way the API communicates with the LB's.
And no I have no idea if this is being worked on at the moment, but I do know that the DEV's are aware of it (probably low priority at the moment) until bigger bugs are fixed.

hkraft300
04-06-2015, 11:58

no, I didn't have to. i'll remember to *** it next time if that's ok :)

ye you can choose to force real assists, so everyone has them, ban all assists, or allow assists of your choice. 2nd and 3rd options don't affect those already running no assists.

Sascha F.
05-06-2015, 09:03
It's got nothing to do with the actual Assists that a user is using in-game, it's just a bug in the way it is displayed in the Leaderboards is all. It's got something to do with the way the API communicates with the LB's.
And no I have no idea if this is being worked on at the moment, but I do know that the DEV's are aware of it (probably low priority at the moment) until bigger bugs are fixed.

What I wanted to say is there was really traction control on (but only sometimes, not always) when switching from all aids disallowed to "real" - I could feel it, and hear it when going full throttle in the FA. Not sure about SC at the moment. I'm sure there is something buggy going on, I'll try to do some tests over the weekend to see if I can reproduce it and maybe do some videos.

Bealdor
05-06-2015, 09:06
What I wanted to say is there was really traction control on (but only sometimes, not always) when switching from all aids disallowed to "real" - I could feel it, and hear it when going full throttle in the FA. Not sure about SC at the moment. I'm sure there is something buggy going on, I'll try to do some tests over the weekend to see if I can reproduce it and maybe do some videos.

The devs couldn't reproduce this. Please give as much detail as you can about this, preferably with video proof.

legatoblues
05-06-2015, 11:41

So, this means that (to the best of our knowledge), the 'real assists' feature is working correctly and as intended, but displays incorrectly on the leaderboards? That's actually not that big of a deal at all and good to know. Thanks.