PDA

View Full Version : The Weightlifting/Fitness Thread

TheLethalDose
03-06-2015, 02:16
Thought I'd see if there is enough interest in starting a lifting and general fitness thread.

Currently bulking during our winter here and loving the strength gains.

Lifts: Deadlift= 450lbs/205kg, Squat 155kg/348lb, Bench 130kg: 295lbs @ 82kg/180lbs bodyweight

Also trying to get into more running and get my 5k to under 20min..

Any other lifters or fitness fanatics out there?

mister dog
03-06-2015, 23:32
I guess most of us are couch warriors :)

TrevorAustin
04-06-2015, 00:02
Yep, but can't see it taking off on this forum :) try uk muscle. Although they won't appreciate all the weight losing running so much, lol.

OperatorWay
04-06-2015, 00:23
Heck yeah! Sometimes it's hard to put the controller down when it's workout time :) but regular exercise is what keeps me healthy & going strong. Gotta do it. Sometimes I use gaming to "reward" myself for a good workout.

centurian
04-06-2015, 00:56
I power lift 5 glasses of guinness every weekend.

spinkick
04-06-2015, 01:37
I'm thinking about trying out stronglifts 5x5...or ice cream fitness. I did shortcut to size and it was very fooking volume oriented.

MULTIVITZ
04-06-2015, 01:51
I used to do 256lb bench for reps at your body weight. You're strong. I tell my mates who train that its 80% diet, they don't believe me. If only they knew. The soils pretty poor over here, the veg ain't all that. You must be a short guy to move all that, I'm 6 1. I did personal training in my twenties, but what I know now!. Have you tried distilled water?
I used to sqat my own body weight with one leg for reps, deep. So thats like 720lb leg press I suppose. Saves loading a machine up lol. I've only a 42" chest and not worked out for years, just fix cars n stuff.

TheLethalDose
04-06-2015, 06:01
I'm thinking about trying out stronglifts 5x5...or ice cream fitness. I did shortcut to size and it was very fooking volume oriented.

Stronglifts is good for the main lifts and the phone app is quite good also, only thing I'd change is adding more deadlifting in place of one of the squat sessions.

I've always found I seem to gain the same amount of muscle strength or volume training, the difference is that I prefer strength too.

TheLethalDose
04-06-2015, 06:06
I used to do 256lb bench for reps at your body weight. You're strong. I tell my mates who train that its 80% diet, they don't believe me. If only they knew. The soils pretty poor over here, the veg ain't all that. You must be a short guy to move all that, I'm 6 1. I did personal training in my twenties, but what I know now I. Have you tried distilled water?
I used to sqat my own body weight with one leg for reps, deep. So thats like 720lb leg press I suppose. Saves loading a machine up lol. I've only a 42" chest and not worked out for years, just fix cars n stuff.

Yep, couldn't agree more about the diet part. So many dudes out there that think they are a "hardgainer" when in reality they don't eat anywhere near enough or the right things.

I'm 5'10 so about average height but I have a long torso and short legs so it has its advantages.

Nice, I'm studying personal training at the moment, how was it as a career? I really thing it should be a more comprehensive uni degree as there are far too many trainers here that have no idea what they are doing, plus there is a large amount of varied knowledge needed to be a good trainer.

Ever thought about getting back into it mate?

LADY GEMMA JANE
04-06-2015, 08:07
My work keeps me fit

Ian Bell
04-06-2015, 08:44
Thought I'd see if there is enough interest in starting a lifting and general fitness thread.

Lifts: Deadlift= 450lbs/205kg, Squat 155kg/348lb, Bench 130kg: 295lbs @ 82kg/180lbs bodyweight

I can bench 140Kg but you're hammering me everywhere else, and I'm 118Kg. I did break my back though so I have an excuse :)

Now, when I say bench 140, it's arched back and a bit of bounce. One rep.

TheLethalDose
04-06-2015, 08:50
My work keeps me fit

lumberjack?

TheLethalDose
04-06-2015, 08:52
I can bench 140Kg but you're hammering me everywhere else, and I'm 118Kg. I did break my back though so I have an excuse :)

Now, when I say bench 140, it's arched back and a bit of bounce. One rep.

Nice effort Ian, been bulking for a few years eh? ;)

Ian Bell
04-06-2015, 08:53
Nice effort Ian, been bulking for a few years eh?

Yeah, that's my excuse :)

I really do need to lose three stone or so.

TheLethalDose
04-06-2015, 09:03
I believe the more refined term is "cultivating mass"

The hardest part always is starting, I just finshed losing around 9kg which is 1.5 stone in your twisted and obscure unit of measurement I believe. Actually got to the point where I had to force myself to eat more again after the weight loss suprisingly.

NVI0U5
04-06-2015, 11:51
Well Im a married man I lift this thing between my legs every morning which my wife refuses to touch... #marriedlife

MULTIVITZ
07-06-2015, 11:48
Microscopic parasites produce toxins that stress the immune system to a point of stress failure. Poor mojo and excess fat are usually signs a diet has fed the parasites more that nourishing the host! Sad, but too true and compicated for debate with health ideals as they currenty stand in todays society. imo

Ian Bell
07-06-2015, 11:50
Microscopic parasites produce toxins that stress the immune system to a point of stress failure. Poor mojo and excess fat are usually signs a diet has fed the parasites more that nourishing the host! Sad, but too true and compicated for debate with health ideals as they currenty stand in todays society. imo

I agree. Excessive acidity in the gut, the 'wrong' type of flora and fauna.

The problem is that counteracting it requires me to drop my beloved wine...

MULTIVITZ
07-06-2015, 12:43
Yep, couldn't agree more about the diet part. So many dudes out there that think they are a "hardgainer" when in reality they don't eat anywhere near enough or the right things.

I'm 5'10 so about average height but I have a long torso and short legs so it has its advantages.

Nice, I'm studying personal training at the moment, how was it as a career? I really thing it should be a more comprehensive uni degree as there are far too many trainers here that have no idea what they are doing, plus there is a large amount of varied knowledge needed to be a good trainer.

Ever thought about getting back into it mate?

You have to be a good example for your pupils in this day and age. With my looks and no nonsense attitude, it wouldn't work for me or others. Getting fit is just about doing workouts often. Being at peak fitness and knowing you're at peak fitness is hard for some to understand/keep. Then you've got to gain muscule mass and tendon development on top of that. Understanding muscle memory and layoffs is something learned through experience, few trainees appreciate or even know of! Scientific reasons are usually responsible for sticking points, i.e. overtraining, nerve development, etc. A lot of educational courses are basic in there aproach to diet due to the restraints caused by the ideals imposed by modern medicine.
You're right in noticing the biomechanical link between limb length and force. Sometimes when the circumstances are made right a tendon will gradually move position for a better mechanical advantage in a movement. Obsession is not to be confused with an obsessive compulsive disorder caused by a niacinimide deficiency of sorts! Those are just a few points I'd make about the subject! The whole curriculum of human fitness should be geared around progression, not only exercise progression, but knowledge progression in other areas can often put things you do in the gym at a real insignificant factor when looking for (any sort of)gains. My two cents are sometimes too large to fit into some peoples pockets, the currency of subject shouldn't be an issue.
I can't afford a gym membership, I couldn't go back to home training but its a long story with my health/fitness. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, soon(years?) I will be more proactive in other forums I post on.

LADY GEMMA JANE
07-06-2015, 12:54
Well Im a married man I lift this thing between my legs every morning which my wife refuses to touch... #marriedlife

hehe :beguiled:

MULTIVITZ
07-06-2015, 13:10
I agree. Excessive acidity in the gut, the 'wrong' type of flora and fauna.

The problem is that counteracting it requires me to drop my beloved wine...

The soils low in molybdenum (zinc, etc)now days, so a high veg diet isn't as effective as it used to be. Its used by the bodies enzymic systems to break down alcohol and ethanol. A commen thing you hear people saying is thier alcohol tolorance goes down with getting older. Please, if anyone takes a food suppement DON'T take the bottles dose advice, doses are usually based on scientific evidence. Over the decades, me and many others have gave advice on dosing, my current advice is to start at quarter dose and, or have 2-3 days without, in the week. Molybdenum absorbsion is hampered by calcium and other minerals in general, but it uses ones bodies vitamin C up at an alarming rate, even weeks after you stop taking it. Vitamin C should be sourced through diet.
So getting fast lasting results is about balance. It always has been, finding out deficiencies is seldom found through blood analysis, they are a guide sometimes. Balance is found quickly through symtoms and energy levels. Most people have the same biochemical system, its the way thier balance appears that confuses most. Ketogenics is where its at, you don't have to be strict, I love a good fry up lol

little fella
08-06-2015, 05:11
I can Squat Diddly!!

TrevorAustin
08-06-2015, 14:25

More interest than I thought then:)

I'm very into the weight's side of it, not so much the fitness, but Project Cars has killed that as I've had my first month off in 3 1/2 years. lol. Starting again tomorrow, no more rig building or excuses left.

My stats were (for a minimum of multiple sets of 6 reps - no 1RMs as too risky for injuries) Lifts: Deadlift=215kg ( but it kills my back so avoided now), Squat 185, Bench 130kg @ 105KGs bodyweight

Photonenbert
10-06-2015, 09:54
Here is my workout plan:

Lotus T98

Monaco

aids all off

h pattern

F1Aussie
16-06-2015, 08:26
After 5 years of drinking and eating too much of the wrong stuff and blowing out to 125kg last august i finally decided to do something about it. Dropped 20kg in around 3 and a half months, still down at 105kg (186cm tall), and in the process of reshaping what is left with weights, running and rowing machine. Want to get back to my fit energetic sporty old self even though i am now 500 years old and too old to play most sport competitively, more interested in strength and fitness now.

MULTIVITZ
16-06-2015, 12:35
Only 5 years? Lol
I'm getting into Diatomascuous Earth and distilled water at the moment. Its sorting me right out. Theres loads of good reviews about it. I'm not over wieght, I'm just having a clearout lol
My strength is enough for me, I just need better cardio.

MortICi
16-06-2015, 15:04
I gained 60lbs starting in 2008 until 2013, at which point I started P90X and then moved to X3, lost 48lbs (first round of p90x) and got a decent body in return. Best decision ever. I look younger (quit smoking and drinking) and stick mainly to paleo eating (im a 90/10 type of guy).

The hardest part is knowing that the changes your trying to achieve aren't going to happen in the first week. I now have turned it into a habit. I prefer X3 because its 30 minutes, to get results you can't half ass it, every set should be done until you can't do the move. It works.

To those that do want to do better, start in the kitchen and work your way into workout routine. Self discipline is key, you need to truly want it in order to earn it, otherwise your just wasting your time and cheating yourself.

MULTIVITZ
16-06-2015, 21:17
I'm sure my bros ex girlfriend got that DVD, she never did it though! Lol
Over the years I've seen a few systems like that, they do work rather well. Calanetics is good, and safe, especially if someone has mobility problems with damaged body areas. Twenty minutes is like over an hours worth of aerobics! If memory serves me right:rolleyes:
For me though its about getting salts, you know biologically available minerals. Modern farming and soil condition have cost us our health, and there's so many dimensions to that statement I can tell ya. But I won't. I wish there was a workout that helped gamer pad fitness lol oj
I need to sort my Marin out.

F1Aussie
18-06-2015, 10:58
wth is diatomucous?

MULTIVITZ
19-06-2015, 07:57
Its all over Youtube(Diatomascious Earth), its really a silicone dioxide supplement, but its bennefits are far outreaching as it brings the bodys condition whole again.
Its powdered sand from dead microscopic sea creatures. No side effect, none toxic, extra nutrition has to been eaten to support the bodys new growth though. It can make your hair grow twice as fast, so that may become an extra expense lol
Losing weight is good with this stuff, but you'll end up craving more healthier foods anyway.
I take virgin coconut grease and ollive oil most days, zinc, molybdenum, B12, seleium when necessary, vitamin C now and then, good magnesium supplement (not the oxide version), niacinimide occasionally, and of course an organic vitamin D supplement weekly, some rice meals too. Not much in the scheme of things. Over doing these strong dietry supports can lead to good cravings, so have good food available, anyone will get an apatite. Keep active to, thats the best advice.

F1Aussie
20-06-2015, 03:18
jeezars, with all those supplements you must rattle when you walk, lol. I might have to google it.