PDA

View Full Version : A little help regarding qualifying sessions and pit stops.

hovercroft
03-06-2015, 09:39
Just after a little help with understanding more about the game. If anyone can point me towards any tutorials. I'm fairly new to these types of racers, as I've never played proper simulator type racers it's always been need for speed and more recently drive club. However, i'm slowly getting used to it (only played for one evening so far). I've gathered that on qualifying as you leave the pits this lap is to just warm up the tyres etc, and then it puts you to lap 1 where you need to set your time etc. and if you go off track that means your lap time doesn't count? Which is kind of annoying because i'm never gaining an advantage on these occasions I've always gone wide and into the gravel slightly, not cutting corners. Once I've set a time I can just skip to end of session? I did this with currently being first in the timings and then when i skipped to end of session to race i was in 11th place. I assume this is because during the session that i skipped the opponents got a better time. I think i was only half a second faster than second place before i skipped to end anyway. Am i missing anything there? As far as pits go I don't have a clue, I have no idea what tyres I should be using. Soft/medium/hard. Obviously wet is for wet track. Is there an automatic option as I've never understood all the tyre pressures and all the other options that are available. Or if anyone has a tutorial on what is what. I think its currently set to automatic by weather but when its been raining and i've returned to pits i'm sure that the tyres still said soft. Thanks for your help

KK78
03-06-2015, 12:25
Hi mate,

So yeah you probably should make use of practice sessions before qualifying, either in the event itself or go to time trial with the same car/track combo. When qualifying you have a ride out lap to warm up the tyres, even if they are already green you'll notice it's not as sharp until you have done a lap or so so technically after leaving the pits it is your 2nd lap which is the 1st qualifying lap. I tend to do 1-3 laps in qualifying and if you make mistakes you can always restart. Note that championships with a sprint race and main race will need to 2 qualifying laps, your fastest time is for the 1st race and the 2nd fastest is for the 2nd race, if you do not record a 2nd qualifying time for this type of championship you will start the 2nd main race in last place.

In terms of why you can end the session and suddenly find yourself down the field, this is because opponents get faster through the session, have less fuel on board as the session progresses or in some cases the weather changes (so imagine you set a time in the wet, quit but in the time left it got dry and thus opponents are much quicker) As a rule if I have 3+ seconds lead I will sometimes skip to the end, if not I watch the times closely in the pits and if the gap is closed to like 1 second I may go back out and do another lap or two if there is time.

The tire options are getting tweaked I think but generally I'd stick with the 'by weather' option and only change them if you find yourself in the wet on dry tires for example. For qualifying for example you might need to see what the weather does because sometimes in a 10 minute session it will rain on and off, I had this the other day so I waited in the pits for 2 minutes until it started raining, went out on wets set a time in the wet, came in as it stopped raining, went back out and set a time in the dry.

Hope this helps

hovercroft
03-06-2015, 12:34
Thanks that has helped. I was only out on qualifying for one recorded lap so maybe that was why. I'll be sure to put a few laps in to get the best time. So if its on automatic by weather does this not change the tyres for you when you go back to pits do you still have to change them yourself? I'll have a little go later see if it makes any more sense to me. I don't mind saving a few different pit strategies depending on weather I just figured it was automatic unless you wanted to do it all yourself.

KK78
03-06-2015, 12:45
Thanks that has helped. I was only out on qualifying for one recorded lap so maybe that was why. I'll be sure to put a few laps in to get the best time. So if its on automatic by weather does this not change the tyres for you when you go back to pits do you still have to change them yourself? I'll have a little go later see if it makes any more sense to me. I don't mind saving a few different pit strategies depending on weather I just figured it was automatic unless you wanted to do it all yourself.

As I understand it the 'automatic by weather' is for the start of the race and if it starts raining and you pit in YOU need to change the tires, it will not automatically change them to suit the weather. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that is how it works at this point.

Bealdor
03-06-2015, 12:47
As I understand it the 'automatic by weather' is for the start of the race and if it starts raining and you pit in YOU need to change the tires, it will not automatically change them to suit the weather. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that is how it works at this point.

The pit manager also changes the tires according to the weather but only if you use the default pit strategy.

hovercroft
03-06-2015, 12:50

That's what I figured. I started the qualifying on softs. It started to rain so I returned to pits as i was all over the place. But when I went to pit strategy they were still set to soft. I'll have another look at this tonight but I think that's right so I will set up a few pit stop strategies.

hovercroft
03-06-2015, 12:50
The pit manager also changes the tires according to the weather but only if you use the default pit strategy.

Thanks i'll check that out tonight

DozUK
03-06-2015, 12:56
Hi Hovercraft, practice and qualifying is a really big part of a race weekend and it's best to make every minute count. What I tend to do ahead of an event is identify the car, track and circuit configuration of the event and spend a good amount of time in free practice mode (A track day). I start from the pits and head out with cold (Blue) tyres and I lower the fuel amount (Which defaults to a full tank) for the laps I want to run. I perform an outlap and get the tyres warm (Green) then I start to push. It takes many laps to learn the track, so I tend to do anything from 5-10 laps then head back to the pits and note my best lap time. After 5-10 (Clean) laps on warm tyres, you will start to learn the track and your best lap time will probably be about right for you and what you should be aiming for in the event. The next option is to tweak the set up of the car and do another 5-10 laps to see if the changes have lost you any seconds, pit again and wash rinse repeat. However, if tweaking the setup isn't your thing you can just leave free practice with good knowledge of the track you'll be racing on and an approximate best time that you should be aiming for in qualifying.

Then start the event, hit practice and see if you're getting close to the times you were setting on the track day (Free practice) and re-familiarise yourself with the track. After the practice comes the important qualification stage, this is where it counts to hit your best times. Get out there quick as you can and nurse the car around the out lap to warm your tyres. Once warm, push the car to get a good time. Once a valid time is recorded, this will show at the bottom where you (Currently) are in the qualification stage (P1, P2, P5 etc) but don't stop stay out there and keep pushing. The more laps you do, the better time your likely to get as the combination of your fuel decreasing (lowering weight of car) and your skill and understanding of the track increasing should lead to beating your lap times (Unless you make a mistake). Remember, other cars are still out there bettering their time, so it's important to stay out unless you set a worldy!

Once qualification is finished, your final position will dictate where you start in the main race. In whatever mode, always remember to change your fuel to the amount needed for the number of laps you want to run, or the number of laps in the race. To judge fuel/per lap, run a fast lap of the track in practice and see how much is left from what it started at. The difference is how much you used on the lap. Multiply this by the laps you will be running and add a little bit more for errors etc

rocafella1978
03-06-2015, 13:04
also there is a bug in "skip to end of session" where AI (computer drivers) beat you or could beat you by 5seconds to over 20seconds in lap time (have had that many times and tested it many times, reproducable!) so either do short qualis or let time run out by itself don't skip.

hovercroft
03-06-2015, 13:07
Hi Hovercraft, practice and qualifying is a really big part of a race weekend and it's best to make every minute count. What I tend to do ahead of an event is identify the car, track and circuit configuration of the event and spend a good amount of time in free practice mode (A track day). I start from the pits and head out with cold (Blue) tyres and I lower the fuel amount (Which defaults to a full tank) for the laps I want to run. I perform an outlap and get the tyres warm (Green) then I start to push. It takes many laps to learn the track, so I tend to do anything from 5-10 laps then head back to the pits and note my best lap time. After 5-10 (Clean) laps on warm tyres, you will start to learn the track and your best lap time will probably be about right for you and what you should be aiming for in the event. The next option is to tweak the set up of the car and do another 5-10 laps to see if the changes have lost you any seconds, pit again and wash rinse repeat. However, if tweaking the setup isn't your thing you can just leave free practice with good knowledge of the track you'll be racing on and an approximate best time that you should be aiming for in qualifying.

Then start the event, hit practice and see if you're getting close to the times you were setting on the track day (Free practice) and re-familiarise yourself with the track. After the practice comes the important qualification stage, this is where it counts to hit your best times. Get out there quick as you can and nurse the car around the out lap to warm your tyres. Once warm, push the car to get a good time. Once a valid time is recorded, this will show at the bottom where you (Currently) are in the qualification stage (P1, P2, P5 etc) but don't stop stay out there and keep pushing. The more laps you do, the better time your likely to get as the combination of your fuel decreasing (lowering weight of car) and your skill and understanding of the track increasing should lead to beating your lap times (Unless you make a mistake). Remember, other cars are still out there bettering their time, so it's important to stay out unless you set a worldy!

Once qualification is finished, your final position will dictate where you start in the main race. In whatever mode, always remember to change your fuel to the amount needed for the number of laps you want to run, or the number of laps in the race. To judge fuel/per lap, run a fast lap of the track in practice and see how much is left from what it started at. The difference is how much you used on the lap. Multiply this by the laps you will be running and add a little bit more for errors etc

Thanks I will spend more time on the practice and qualifying sessions. I think my current options of fuel and tyre wear are on slow. Do most people have it on real for a better simulation? I'll have a look at all the pit settings etc tonight. Where is it you change the amount of fuel you go out on? I spent the most of last night just getting used to how to drive. I didn't get much of a chance to play with the options and settings. But if its a simulator I would like to take full advantage of the settings they use. I saw you could put on mechanical problems etc. Would be good to get an idea of what people use and don't use. As still getting used to this type of racer.

hovercroft
03-06-2015, 13:08
also there is a bug in "skip to end of session" where AI (computer drivers) beat you or could beat you by 5seconds to over 20seconds in lap time (have had that many times and tested it many times, reproducable!) so either do short qualis or let time run out by itself don't skip.

I just read this on another thread I'll be sure to not use it. And just do the 10 minute sessions. Maybe longer if I need it.

DozUK
03-06-2015, 13:27
Thanks I will spend more time on the practice and qualifying sessions. I think my current options of fuel and tyre wear are on slow. Do most people have it on real for a better simulation? I'll have a look at all the pit settings etc tonight. Where is it you change the amount of fuel you go out on? I spent the most of last night just getting used to how to drive. I didn't get much of a chance to play with the options and settings. But if its a simulator I would like to take full advantage of the settings they use. I saw you could put on mechanical problems etc. Would be good to get an idea of what people use and don't use. As still getting used to this type of racer.

You can access the fuel held in the pits on the setup menu (It's one of the screens). There are two options Fuel, and Fuel for qualifying. Set both accordingly, don't just set the first one or you'll be running the qualifying (main) one with a full tank!

When running qualification you may find initially (Until you're used to the game) that 10 minutes isn't enough. Play around with the time selection to give yourself enough time to set a good lap time.

Mascot
03-06-2015, 13:29
Lots of good info for the Wiki here, people.

Anyone feel like updating it?

hovercroft
03-06-2015, 13:50
Thanks guys all good info. I'll be sure to have a good look at all the settings etc. Thanks for the help.