PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing Wheel / Headset?

mpl911
03-06-2015, 11:19
Hi All.

First of all, a big thank you to SMS - this is a fantastic sim - been waiting for a game like this on console for years!

I use this wheel / pedal set for my One, but it doesn't have a headset socket. On my 360 I used to be able to connect the normal xbox headset to the wheel (can't remember what wheel I had for the 360) in order to talk to the other racers (usually to apologise when my talent ran out mid-corner!), but this new Thrustmaster wheel doesn't have a socket.

Normally when I hit someone I like to apologise. It looks like my only way to apologise on the One would be to pull over - but when you do that it can take 30 seconds or so for the guy to get out of the gravel trap or whatever and get past you. By that time the race is basically over and it's just me and a guy that, by now, hates me.

Has anyone figured out a way to be able to converse with the other drivers? I tried hooking the headset up to the joypad, whilst racing with my wheel, but it didn't work.

Thanks.

Tork
03-06-2015, 11:31
Turn on your Xbox with your pad as normal and setup chat with your headset connected to the controller - all as normal. Just plug your wheel in to use in the game to drive the car - the controller will still operate as normal.

mpl911
03-06-2015, 11:48
Ah - right. Ok. I normally leave the wheel hooked up permanently, and have only ever tried it by switching the controller on after the wheel is up and running.

I'll try it that way round. many thanks. happy racing!

nissan4ever
03-06-2015, 14:17

Lethal 556
03-06-2015, 14:26
Great thread as I have been trying to figure a workaround for this as well. Thanks for the input guys! Race on!

skijumptoes
03-06-2015, 20:46
What i tend to do is use a usb hub with extension cable, run that to my wheel and then plug the controller in to that, otherwise my play charge cable is a little bit too short - works well, and prevents controller shutting off.

Other method that i've used well is if you have kinect, enable that for voice and plug headphones into the tv/5.1, and turn the tv/5.1 speakers down and it's like your very own turtle beach headset on the cheap. :)

theredeye_uk
03-06-2015, 22:29
I have the same kit. If I need to sit away from the TV I just use basic, cheap USB female to male extension cables, about 4ft. They work great. One for the steering wheel USB and the other for the controller which has the headphones plugged in.
Remember, keep the headphone / controller plugged in via USB to save batteries and also stop the unit from going into sleep mode.

Happy days

skijumptoes
03-06-2015, 22:45
You also get more reliable sound quality via usb if you're using something like a turtle beach (or official stereo headset) as it's not relying on the controllers wireless technology to receive in-game audio - as was noticed with the pre 1.3 version bug where the sound would cut out as too much FFB was being sent to the controller, killing the in-game audio feed.

I notice far less glitching of audio when using usb.

mpl911
04-06-2015, 13:56
What i tend to do is use a usb hub with extension cable, run that to my wheel and then plug the controller in to that, otherwise my play charge cable is a little bit too short - works well, and prevents controller shutting off.

Other method that i've used well is if you have kinect, enable that for voice and plug headphones into the tv/5.1, and turn the tv/5.1 speakers down and it's like your very own turtle beach headset on the cheap. :)

Didn't even know the controller had a USB port! May need to get a hub per skijump - the front USB slot in the One has the wheel plugged into it and one of the rear ports has my external HD.

Thanks all.

MuddyPaws73
04-06-2015, 23:43
I've tried using the xbox one controller as stated above in post #4 but loose sound as soon as I press the A button on the wheel. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I can use the controller if I disconnect the USB cable to the console, however it keeps turning off after around 10 minutes since it's not being used, per se.

AbeWoz
05-06-2015, 00:03
the only issue i've had is that even with the controller plugged in, it still turns off after 10-15 minutes. it only started doing this with the most recent console update. is there a way around this?

nissan4ever
05-06-2015, 02:26
the only issue i've had is that even with the controller plugged in, it still turns off after 10-15 minutes. it only started doing this with the most recent console update. is there a way around this?

Yeah, flick the right stick once every several laps. Doesn't effect game. Do on a straight. No problem. I've been doing that for ever.

Or connect controller to the console via USB & it won't cut off (don't do with reg AA batteries in it).

AbeWoz
05-06-2015, 16:10
Yeah, flick the right stick once every several laps. Doesn't effect game. Do on a straight. No problem. I've been doing that for ever.

Or connect controller to the console via USB & it won't cut off (don't do with reg AA batteries in it).

yeah i have a plug n charge kit, connected to console via USB but it still cuts off. but i have been doing the flick the stick method every few laps ever since the most recent console update

nissan4ever
05-06-2015, 16:12
Well in fairness, the controller does recharge faster if it's off. Probably why they changed it in that update perhaps on console.