PDA

View Full Version : SMS: Can We Use Our DS4 At The Same Time As Our Wheels Please? - SORTED IN PATCH 2.0

VBR
03-06-2015, 16:16
Keyboard & mouse is the standard interface for PC, & is used for navigation. Would PC users find it acceptable if after plugging in their FFB wheels, their keyboard & mouse were deactivated? Probably not! However, this is exactly what happens on PS4.

The DS4 is the primary interface for gamers to navigate menus etc, but when an FFB wheel is plugged in, it's deactivated. Navigating menus & setting up the game via a wheel is incredibly frustrating for many, especially for those who've come from the Gran Turismo series & are used to using their controllers & wheels at the same time. Yes I know we can turn them on & off to do it, but it's a right hassle.

There are also a lot of things the game simply doesn't allow you to do with the wheel alone. You can't scroll things that require the right analog stick to scroll, like I can't even see some of the lap times the during practice and qualifying because I can't scroll up and down that list. You also can't take photos because you can't move the camera around without the analog sticks.

You can use a Dual Shock 4 & FFB wheel at the same time in The Crew, which is a PS4 game, so it is technically possible to do this on the PlayStation 4.

Please SMS; can you make it so that we can use our wheels, DS4, & keyboards at the same time, & assign any function to any button/key?

Thank you for your kind consideration.

PS: I ran a poll over at GT Planet regarding this issue, if you have an account please consider voting. (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/sms-we-wanna-use-our-wheels-ds4-at-the-same-time-please.329448/)

EDIT: Issue is to be resolved in Patch 2.0.

* Added support for the use of all active controllers for menu input. You can for example now use a steering wheel to race, and a gamepad to control the menus and photo mode.

UPDATE: This feature has been added in patch 2.0.

:)

HarryHoodlum
03-06-2015, 16:20
Something tells me this probably has more to do with the PS4 than SMS.

Umer Ahmad
03-06-2015, 16:21
Right, thats what i suspect. Any other games allow free use of multiple different types of controllers?

DriveClub?

VBR
03-06-2015, 16:24
All I can say is that the Gran Turismo series has always let wheel users have access to their wheels & joypads at the same time, even when other games haven't. I doubt there is any technical limitation on the PS4, but would be interested if a game dev knows something I don't.

DJBLITZKRIEG
03-06-2015, 16:25
Yes that would be a great feature, I am sure they can implement this even if it means consulting with PS developers.

Umer Ahmad
03-06-2015, 16:26
Ok but that's PS3

Are there any games on PS4 that allow this? Come on, one of you guys must Drive Club and wheel/pedals. Go try it now and report back here if it works or not

VBR
03-06-2015, 16:29
Ok but that's PS3

Are there any games on PS4 that allow this? Come on, one of you guys must Drive Club and wheel/pedals. Go try it now and report back here if it works or not

A game not allowing it won't tell you if it's technically possible or not on PS4. We need an answer from an SMS game dev who knows the facts. Assumptions are futile.

BigDipper
03-06-2015, 17:24
Think it's a SMS thing.
Because if you're in the psn menu u can navigate
With wheel and DS4 at the same time.
if both are on I get the pit sound through my controller so they should be able to fix thisome I guess

chig88
03-06-2015, 19:23
Ok but that's PS3

I tried it with Driveclub the first day I got my T300. It worked fine for about 15/20 minutes but then I suddenly lost any control over the wheel (went dead & wouldn't come back on until I'd unplugged & plugged back in).

I assumed it was something to do with the power saving settings on the DS4, so I've never used both at the same time since then & the wheel hasn't done that since.

Looks like it's a PS4 issue - odd seeing as you can obviously have 2 DS4s connected but not another form of controller?

Umer Ahmad
03-06-2015, 19:41
A game not allowing it won't tell you if it's technically possible or not on PS4. We need an answer from an SMS game dev who knows the facts. Assumptions are futile.

What assumption? I asking for direct evidence that a first-party driving game on PS4 supports this or not.

Thanks BigDipper & chig88

zennmeister
03-06-2015, 22:25
Amidst all the problems, this is one thing The Crew did right...both wheel and controller are active.
In fact, it's possible to switch between controller and wheel while driving.

Count me as one who hates navigating with a wheel. No wonder that it's typically the d-pad on wheels that's the first to wear out.

Fanapryde
03-06-2015, 22:39
Amidst all the problems, this is one thing The Crew did right...both wheel and controller are active.

Count me as one who hates navigating with a wheel. No wonder that it's typically the d-pad on wheels that's the first to wear out.

Sorry, misread your post, wishful thinking:glee:

IrideGravity
03-06-2015, 22:41
There you have it SMS. Can be done. Now get on it. And add it to the known issues, or add a wanted features thread already. Being stuck in your sim rig to navigate menus SUCKS and can actually decrease the amount of time People can actually play PCars.

VBR
03-06-2015, 22:54
I asking for direct evidence that a first-party driving game on PS4 supports this or not.

It is possible then!

SMS, could you please get this working in your game on PS4?

GHR Gynoug79
03-06-2015, 23:37
Being able to use a bluetooth keyboard would be really great too.

J00N10R
04-06-2015, 02:07
Being able to map a keyboard would be even better!

jason
04-06-2015, 02:36
No driveclub does not support this.

Mascot
04-06-2015, 07:41
I totally agree that using the wheel and the gamepad alongside each other would be a brilliant addition, and would solve a lot of input limitations across different wheels. Once all the main bugs are patched (and assuming it's technically possible) I'd really like to see this added as a feature. Wonder why it wasn't in from day one?

VBR
04-06-2015, 10:21
Thanks Paul. We are indeed being chased. But we're not about to give up our freedom of creativity or our reactive nature to user requests to appease the giants.

Hi Ian, I just wanted to respectfully bring this 'user request' to your attention (see 1st post). I hope you don't mind me quoting you from another thread!

Cheers.

Goruk
04-06-2015, 10:22
What assumption? I asking for direct evidence that a first-party driving game on PS4 supports this or not.

Thanks BigDipper & chig88

There you go....

Should we ask for a bug fix or a new feature?:confused:

siemens123
04-06-2015, 11:26
Ok but that's PS3

The Crew PS4 allowes both wheel and DS4 at the same time ...

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
04-06-2015, 11:47
I would hazard an educated guess that this is for SMS to support rather than any restrictions with the PS4. A steering wheel is simply another type of controller with various buttons and axis that need to be supported. The DS4 only works because the buttons have been assigned to certain functions.

KartKingCorre
04-06-2015, 11:58
I'm wondering, how is it on the XBOX side? Can you guys use the controller together with the wheel? Are you able to map buttons to the controller and wheel seperately? Are you able to connect a keyboard and map buttons to it?

VBR
04-06-2015, 13:17
I'm wondering, how is it on the XBOX side? Can you guys use the controller together with the wheel? Are you able to map buttons to the controller and wheel seperately? Are you able to connect a keyboard and map buttons to it?

That's interesting, never used an Xbox. I wonder if you could use the controller & wheel at the same time in Forza?

I'm mainly talking about using the DS4 to navigate the game, not using it to assign extra functions to.

joridiculous
04-06-2015, 17:37
Thats about the only good thing i can say about the Crew. wheel and DS4 can be used at the same time. You can switch from wheel to DS4 to wheel mid turn without any issues or delay or overrides if you like. I have not tried to map buttons though. Not sure crew allows any mapping at all.
Also both wheel and ds4 shows up as two different controllers on the PS4 so ought to be possible to utilize both of them for buttons aswell..

Umer Ahmad
05-06-2015, 02:32
Ok so we know it's possible at least

IrideGravity
05-06-2015, 07:05
Ok so we know it's possible at least

Now. If only someone from SMS would add it to a list. Or confirm it as a priority. Or acknowledge something about it. ;)

graveltrap
05-06-2015, 09:35
it's a great feature to have, I used it all the time with GT6 on the ole PS3, it made me sad to find that it wasn't possible with Project Cars on the PS4.

I did think it was a system problem rather than a game problem though, much like not being able to turn off sound through HDMI! :( It is good to hear it's been implemented in another title, it makes navigating menus so much easier (we have a lot of those) not to mention making photomode even more accessible...

It would be a much appreciated feature for me at least ;)

JohnSchoonsBeard
05-06-2015, 10:30
Am copying this from my post in VBR's GTPlanet thread.

The most important benefit of dual control for me is being able to assign extra functions to the DS4 or a bluetooth keyboard for driving would be very helpful. Maybe give us the ability to map the following control schemes.

1 DS4
2 Wheel
3 Wheel & DS4
4 Wheel & Keyboard
5 DS4 & Keyboard

An alternative solution for the driving would be to allow one button to be programmed as a "shift" or switch button that would allow buttons to be programmed with a secondary function. For example the shift button and arrows could be used for moving the seat position. Other functions that aren't needed so immediately but could still be used include.

-Request Pit Stop
-Changing brake bias/rollbars
-Turning driving aids on or off
-Ignition/Starting engine
-etc.

From a menu navigation point of view using the wheel's direction arrows adds a lot of unecessary extra wear and tear. In my case Thrustmaster aren't exactly known for their robust buttons. So again dual control would be a big benefit.

IrideGravity
05-06-2015, 23:05
So bugs get fixed, maybe.? And important features get ignored? Guessing you guys probably don't care that you have to back out of lobbies to access features/options like recalibrating a wheel either?. I see why you won't move them to a thread or acknowledge them I guess. Disgusting. Maybe after we all break our thrustmaster d pads and can't play at all anymore.?
You guys ignore way too many simple questions. Losing faith that features and usability that should be there will ever be addressed.
Puke. This is all basic stuff and features man. Just be honest and up front with your customers. Ignoring simple requests for simple features is bad business. There are WAY too many basic features missing that people want. Stuff that breaks the game when it's missing.

madmax2069
05-06-2015, 23:15
Yeah its definitely possible

(Hate to keep bringing up war thunder but what else do I really have)

In War Thunder on PS4 I can have my controller connected and useable, along side a USB mouse and keyboard, along side a PC USB flight stick that I can use at the same time (granted I have to have a USB hub to connect everything).

IrideGravity
05-06-2015, 23:26
I wonder how big this thread will get before it gets a simple reply? Other than it's possible?
This is as simple a user request as SMS will see. What gives?
Here's to keeping it on page 1.
Cheers usability people out there.

VBR
06-06-2015, 08:33
This thread is only 3 days old, let's give SMS the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions, maybe they've seen it & are looking into it to give us a definitive answer before they reply. Yes I've quoted Ian Bell here & he hasn't replied yet, & yes I've PM'd him about it & he hasn't replied to that either yet. But like I said, maybe he's taken the issue up with someone in the know, & will answer us when he has an actual answer to give.

Unrestrained moaning & complaining isn't gonna do our cause any good. Whereas constructive criticism & reasoning probably will be helpful.

daddyboosive
06-06-2015, 08:37
He never answers or talks about anything he isn't working on. So there's your answer.

KartKingCorre
06-06-2015, 09:24

Any xbox guys out there? I know you are reading the ps4 subforum as well ;)

VR_Green
06-06-2015, 10:56
There is also the problem of not being able to map all the buttons to say a T300rs. If we could use multiple input devices, then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it so we can map over multiple devices. Wheel and keyboard, Wheel and pad, wheel pad and keyboard. its just unbelievably frustrating - how can you give us all the options to map those buttons yet don't realise there aren't enough buttons on the pad to map all of these.

I always have both controller plugged in and mic and PS button still work on the pad when i am using the wheel (some people don't realise they can still used the mic port on the pad for chat when using a wheel)

KartKingCorre
06-06-2015, 11:25
I always have both controller plugged in and mic and PS button still work on the pad when i am using the wheel (some people don't realise they can still used the mic port on the pad for chat when using a wheel)

This is a issue indeed.. When playing with a wheel, If you want to use the original ps4 audio jack mic, you need to connect your ds4 as well. So the wheel and gamepad both need to be connected anyway.. Why not make it so they can also be used simultaneously and even mapped separately? Plz devs, look into this. It's the final thing Pcars needs to be the ultimate console sim (this and the lack of telemetry data)!
Love this game!

Bush_Killa-73
06-06-2015, 18:34
Keyboard & mouse is the standard interface for PC, & is used for navigation. Would PC users find it acceptable if after plugging in their FFB wheels, their keyboard & mouse were deactivated? Probably not!

However, this is exactly what happens on PS4. The DS4 is the primary interface for gamers to navigate menus etc, but when an FFB wheel is plugged in, it's deactivated. Navigating menus & setting up the game via a wheel is incredibly frustrating for many, especially for those who've come from the Gran Turismo series & are used to using their controllers & wheels at the same time. Yes I know we can turn them on & off to do it, but it's a right hassle.

Please SMS, can you make it so that we can use both our FFB wheels & DS4's at the same time?

Thank you for your kind consideration.

PS: I ran a poll over at GT Planet regarding this issue, if you have an account please consider voting. (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/sms-we-wanna-use-our-wheels-ds4-at-the-same-time-please.329448/)

Great idea. I noticed that you can't hear the updates from over your radio that normally comes out the dualshock4 speaker. Is there any way to enable this to come out the main game's sound instead? Otherwise we're missing out an entire feature (unless I'm missing something) :(

VBR
06-06-2015, 20:29
I noticed that you can't hear the updates from over your radio that normally comes out the dualshock4 speaker. Is there any way to enable this to come out the main game's sound instead?

I think if you turn the DS4's volume all the way to 0 on the PS4's settings, then the engineer's voice will come out of the TV instead (but don't quote me on that).

By the way SMS, any response to the OP would be very welcome indeed.

Hengist
06-06-2015, 22:54
I think if you turn the DS4's volume all the way to 0 on the PS4's settings

I do that, as well as dimming the lightbar. I also use the officially licensed battery clip-on pack and get around 12hrs between charges.

IrideGravity
06-06-2015, 23:00
[QUOTE=VBR;970592]This thread is only 3 days old, let's give SMS the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions, maybe they've seen it & are looking into it to give us a definitive answer before they reply. Yes I've quoted Ian Bell here & he hasn't replied yet, & yes I've PM'd him about it & he hasn't replied to that either yet. But like I said, maybe he's taken the issue up with someone in the know, & will answer us when he has an actual answer to give.

Unrestrained moaning & complaining isn't gonna do our cause any good. Whereas constructive criticism & reasoning probably will be helpful.

Or maybe he's ignoring it and there's a reason it's not ACKNOWLEDGED yet? I only hear they are squashing bugs. Bugs are acknowledged. No one should believe there doing anything about these MANY MISSING FEATURES until they do.
Currently we are being ignored....soooo.......not sure why your making assumptions for them. Until these missing features at least get acknowledged, why would they be fixed? The order seems to be. Acknowledge it is an issue, so the players know its a priority. Then roll out a patch to address it. Missing features just aren't making a list so far. And there are many.

Benja190782
06-06-2015, 23:12
Any xbox guys out there? I know you are reading the ps4 subforum as well ;)

There sure is, mate! ;)

I've been asking for the exact same thing several times on the Xbox One subforum, and the response from Ian Bell was something like "the team are looking into it - but it is not an easy thing to get done".

I can also confirm that this works on Xbox One in both Forza Motorsport 5 and Forza Horizon 2, so I can fully navigate the menus in Forza with a controller AND AT THE SAME TIME use my Thrustmaster TX wheel to race with!

In Project CARS I use my Logitec keyboard to navigate the menus (but only Quick race menus because it's locked to one area) when I use my aftermarket rim.
To me it's not just easier to navigate with a controller - it's a MUST to be able to race with my TX base and Isotta aftermarket rim, with the DSD adapter. As I race like this:

http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/yzc1mme0zgfmmjbmymq1mtm1ndlizde2mwm5zwflmzy.jpg

So it can be done by SMS I'm sure - but don't know if Microsoft and Sony need to do something to make it happen...

KartKingCorre
06-06-2015, 23:40
I've been asking for the exact same thing several times on the Xbox One subforum, and the response from Ian Bell was something like "the team are looking into it - but it is not an easy thing to get done".

It's good to hear it's being looked into. I'm sure they are well aware of this and some other issues with the console gameplay and will do everyting in their power to adress them.
Patience is a virtue I guess :)

IrideGravity
07-06-2015, 00:31
It's good to hear it's being looked into. I'm sure they are well aware of this and some other issues with the console gameplay and will do everyting in their power to adress them.

Patience is a virtue I guess :)

As is honesty or being straight foreword.

VBR
07-06-2015, 15:21
...not sure why your making assumptions for them.

I said "maybe" they are doing this & that, not that they "are" doing this & that. I'm not making assumptions, but am just willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That's interesting that he responded, could you give me a link please I'd like to read it?

Benja190782
07-06-2015, 19:43
^^
I can't find it, but I found another response from Bruno Alexandre when I asked if they could make the controller work with the wheel in-game.

The response from Bruno was:

It's not possible sadly, we're studying what has to be done in order for it to work.

IrideGravity
07-06-2015, 23:36
^^
I can't find it, but I found another response from Bruno Alexandre when I asked if they could make the controller work with the wheel in-game.

The response from Bruno was:

Hmm. Impossible, but we will see? :eek:
Yet the game has the mechanics audio coming through the controller for wheel users. We got that sorted because......actually, it's impossible. Wait. Do you want an honest answer?

Just tell us were screwed already and kill/lock this thread. They don't answer or address what they don't care to fix.
No reason to give em the benefit, there already talking out both sides or just ignoring these missing features.
If they acknowledge it, it gets on a list right?

hairy balz-on-ya
08-06-2015, 02:56
hi,
i think that you should somehow make it so that the player would be able to use the dualshock 4 as additional buttons so you're able to call for pits, look around, and other functions. some wheels just don't have all the buttons for all settings..... let me know what you think

Fanapryde
08-06-2015, 05:36
hi,
i think that you should somehow make it so that the player would be able to use the dualshock 4 as additional buttons so you're able to call for pits, look around, and other functions. some wheels just don't have all the buttons for all settings..... let me know what you thinkDo you know of a wheel that has enough buttons for this sim ?
Personally I think the simultaneous use of wheel + controller would be a step in the right direction, be it not very handy, unless the controller could be hard mounted somewhere in sight like a BUTTON BOX !!! (Come on SONY, come to insight please).
Wheel + keyboard would also be a good idea.

-Brick_Top-
08-06-2015, 06:56
Do you know of a wheel that has enough buttons for this sim ?
Personally I think the simultaneous use of wheel + controller would be a step in the right direction, be it not very handy, unless the controller could be hard mounted somewhere in sight like a BUTTON BOX !!! (Come on SONY, come to insight please).
Wheel + keyboard would also be a good idea.

Fanatec wheel rims for csw v1 & v2 come close

11 Buttons plus two paddle shifter buttons with ultra-reliable switches
Analog joystick to look around in thecockpit or to map with any other axis
7-way Encoder switch to change settings: Turn left; turn right; move left, right, up and down; push

Fanapryde
08-06-2015, 07:17
Fanatec wheel rims for csw v1 & v2 come close

11 Buttons plus two paddle shifter buttons with ultra-reliable switches
Analog joystick to look around in thecockpit or to map with any other axis
7-way Encoder switch to change settings: Turn left; turn right; move left, right, up and down; push
You got a point.
Thing is, a couple of friends are Fanatec equipped and none of them actually recommends them. Beautiful stuff, but pretty unreliable and very bad customer service (as they claim).
So, I am a bit reluctant to gamble on this gear for now...

-Brick_Top-
08-06-2015, 11:36
You got a point.
Thing is, a couple of friends are Fanatec equipped and none of them actually recommends them. Beautiful stuff, but pretty unreliable and very bad customer service (as they claim).
So, I am a bit reluctant to gamble on this gear for now...

Unreliable as in the sheer amount of t300 posts that appears the ffb motors can't handle a decent level of ffb without overheating within a couple of laps?
Agreed fanatec customer service has a terrible reputation and is well known to be very slow to respond. Believe me I have experienced it first hand but then there are more and more stories of thrustmaster going the same way. Looks like now days customer service means very little to companies. Seems that are more than happy to take our money and that to them is when their insterest in us as consumers ends.

VBR
08-06-2015, 14:29
High end Fanatec wheels are out of the price range of most people, myself included. I have a Logitech G25, it only has 2 buttons on the wheel (which I use to look right & left), & sadly doesn't work in Project CARS at the moment. It's extremely reliable though! I have FFB set to max in GT games, & have raced online for 6 years without any major issues. There's no noise from it, no FFB fade (even after 9 hour sessions). Best wheel I've ever owned by far, can't sing it's praises enough.

But then again I was playing in Gran Turismo with it, & in their games you can use the joypad at the same time as the wheel, which is utter bliss for me. Will find it hard to do without that.

joridiculous
08-06-2015, 18:52
There sure is, mate! ;)

I can also confirm that this works on Xbox One in both Forza Motorsport 5 and Forza Horizon 2, so I can fully navigate the menus in Forza with a controller AND AT THE SAME TIME use my Thrustmaster TX wheel to race with!

In Project CARS I use my Logitec keyboard to navigate the menus (but only Quick race menus because it's locked to one area) when I use my aftermarket rim.
To me it's not just easier to navigate with a controller - it's a MUST to be able to race with my TX base and Isotta aftermarket rim, with the DSD adapter. As I race like this:

http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/yzc1mme0zgfmmjbmymq1mtm1ndlizde2mwm5zwflmzy.jpg

So it can be done by SMS I'm sure - but don't know if Microsoft and Sony need to do something to make it happen...
Sweet and simple Stand :) Wish i've seen that before i bought my seat ;)

Bounkass
08-06-2015, 20:10
Right, thats what i suspect. Any other games allow free use of multiple different types of controllers?

DriveClub?

Does it matter?

Umer Ahmad
08-06-2015, 20:17
Does it matter?
So we know if it is even possible, would be nice if the first-party games supported it. See also "precedent"

IrideGravity
08-06-2015, 20:39
So we know if it is even possible, would be nice if the first-party games supported it. See also "precedent"

We already know it's possible because other games, like the crew, do it.
We're still trying to find out if SMS will give us this feature/option or not.

This thread is long enough already. Not going anywhere.
But in response to umer, each page should clearly state it is possible and has already been done. Sometimes some other things get said and confusion creeps in.
Yes. I agree the only thing now is to wait for SMS to acknowledge the request one way or another as a priority or not. We know they could do it. It's just a matter of will they devote resources to it.

Benja190782
08-06-2015, 20:55
Sweet and simple Stand :) Wish i've seen that before i bought my seat ;)

Thanks, mate! ;) It's unbelieveable solid and it's easy to hide away. It didn't cost much to build either.

Umer Ahmad
08-06-2015, 21:03
We already know it's possible because other games, like the crew, do it.
We're still trying to find out if SMS will give us this feature/option or not.
Yeah i know, someone answered the Crew can do it few days ago so we know it is possible. That is why i asked the question few days ago. See my post #26 from 4 days ago, i acknowledge the crew did it. I dont know why you are asking about it now, it was answered 4 days ago. Now we wait for SMS, nothing else to say about it.

IrideGravity
09-06-2015, 21:28
Pretty please. With sugar on top.
;) :)

VBR
10-06-2015, 09:13
Here's an interesting comment by a GT Planet member;

There are also a lot of things the game simply doesn't allow you to do with the wheel alone. You can't scroll things that require the right analog stick to scroll, like I can't even see some of the lap times the during practice and qualifying because I can't scroll up and down that list. You also can't take photos because you can't move the camera around without the analog sticks.

It's been one week since I posted this thread up, & not so much as a simply reply or acknowledgement from SMS. I am a little bit disappointed.

KartKingCorre
10-06-2015, 10:03
A simple acknowledgement would indeed be nice.. I think this thread is big enough and shows a clear gameplay problem with Pcars on the consoles. This simulator is AWESOME, but the true racing fan cannot use it to its full potential without some of these missing features (on console).

I have seen lots of replies from SMS to questions like: are the animated pitstops coming, are these or those cars/tracks coming,... while much of this info is already on the internet and we know its coming. Also much replies to trolls and negative fanboy comments, which should just be ignored IMO. I've seen less responses to actual serious questions like these.

KartKingCorre
10-06-2015, 16:24
lets keep this on page one

VBR
10-06-2015, 20:12
I just finished PM'ing some key SMS personnel, & a few random ones for good measure. Hopefully we'll get some kind of acknowledgement SMSoon!

Aldo Zampatti
10-06-2015, 20:27
I just finished PM'ing some key SMS personnel, & a few random ones for good measure. Hopefully we'll get some kind of acknowledgement SMSoon!

No need to PM anyone. Devs do read these posts and if possible and willing to do it within a regular time-frame, they will express it here.
I would love this feature myself too. :)

IrideGravity
10-06-2015, 22:45
No need to PM anyone. Devs do read these posts and if possible and willing to do it within a regular time-frame, they will express it here.
I would love this feature myself too. :)

So we should take the absence of a response, or ignoring the thread, as they are not willing to do it? Since they are willing to say what is a priority in other areas? Also, if being addressed, wouldn't it get moved to a known issues thread or a coming features list.? The reason this thread keeps growing is because it's being ignored when it comes to a honest reply.

Aldo Zampatti
11-06-2015, 00:25
So we should take the absence of a response, or ignoring the thread, as they are not willing to do it? Since they are willing to say what is a priority in other areas? Also, if being addressed, wouldn't it get moved to a known issues thread or a coming features list.? The reason this thread keeps growing is because it's being ignored when it comes to a honest reply.

Replying on a forum, takes time, normally, devs choose to stay away of replying and invest time coding.
Before any SMS employee respond here, lots of internal meetings must being held, it isn't just YES or NO. They need to see how, when, etc,etc. And then prioritize.

This thread is enough for calling DEVs attention, again, no need to PM anyone. I'm sure that IF it's possible, someone will chime in. If not, they might say that either way.

Richard Steer
11-06-2015, 00:56
Replying on a forum, takes time, normally, devs choose to stay away of replying and invest time coding.
Before any SMS employee respond here, lots of internal meetings must being held, it isn't just YES or NO. They need to see how, when, etc,etc. And then prioritize.

This thread is enough for calling DEVs attention, again, no need to PM anyone. I'm sure that IF it's possible, someone will chime in. If not, they might say that either way.

Thanks Aldo. That's pretty much the situation.

We've just poured heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears into building this game, and what we released was the best product we could, given the time we had and the enormous complexity of the task we faced. It is never possible to meet everyone requirements.
This issue may be very annoying for some, but it is not critical to the game.
Yes, it is possible to manage multiple controllers in different contexts, where some keypress on some controller might interfere with another, and handle some kind of hierarchy of input focus, there are many complications to do with how the active controller binds to the OS, and what happens when various controllers are plugged in or unplugged at different times - honestly if I gave you all the details you'd be here for days. And if we were a mature product such as the ones mentioned elsewhere in this thread, which have had vastly more man hours of design and coding time to fine tune and fix these issues, then we would have the setup that you expect. But this is a first generation product. It is shiny new just off the factory floor. I would expect that we will sort this problem for you in the next version of the game at the latest, possibly it will be addressed in an interim patch if the priority of the issue is raised high enough. But it must be balanced against all the other features, bugs, improvements, polish and fine tuning that the game will go through in the coming weeks, months and years.

You do not get a perfect product first time. That is why we continue to work to improve it. And it is only once the product is out in the wild that you really get a feel for what people want from it. We have been lucky to have the support of the WMD crew, but even given that we cannot work miracles. Yet.

stux
11-06-2015, 01:21
Speaking from xbox perspective where we'd also like to use the controller with the wheel, for two reasons

1) to access additional buttons for mapping accessory functions
2) for menu control/scrolling, like camera mode

#1 is the bigger issue, and a better more appropriate solution would be to 'unlock' the duplicated buttons on the wheel and loosen which buttons are mandatory

IrideGravity
11-06-2015, 02:47
Thanks Aldo. That's pretty much the situation.

We've just poured heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears into building this game, and what we released was the best product we could, given the time we had and the enormous complexity of the task we faced. It is never possible to meet everyone requirements.
This issue may be very annoying for some, but it is not critical to the game.
Yes, it is possible to manage multiple controllers in different contexts, where some keypress on some controller might interfere with another, and handle some kind of hierarchy of input focus, there are many complications to do with how the active controller binds to the OS, and what happens when various controllers are plugged in or unplugged at different times - honestly if I gave you all the details you'd be here for days. And if we were a mature product such as the ones mentioned elsewhere in this thread, which have had vastly more man hours of design and coding time to fine tune and fix these issues, then we would have the setup that you expect. But this is a first generation product. It is shiny new just off the factory floor. I would expect that we will sort this problem for you in the next version of the game at the latest, possibly it will be addressed in an interim patch if the priority of the issue is raised high enough. But it must be balanced against all the other features, bugs, improvements, polish and fine tuning that the game will go through in the coming weeks, months and years.

You do not get a perfect product first time. That is why we continue to work to improve it. And it is only once the product is out in the wild that you really get a feel for what people want from it. We have been lucky to have the support of the WMD crew, but even given that we cannot work miracles. Yet.

Yeah I here you rambling but all I can really here is I should have got this game on PC. Insert derogatory Excuse analogy here. Too tired to come up with my own. If you can't solve the basics of consoles. You shouldn't develop for them. Period
Also. It's not wise to burn the console market. Profit margins at $60 a disc. Or put it on steam and everyone can wait for a steam Christmas price. Cut your own throats through laziness. Go for it.

Richard Steer
11-06-2015, 05:30
Yeah I here you rambling but all I can really here is I should have got this game on PC. Insert derogatory Excuse analogy here. Too tired to come up with my own. If you can't solve the basics of consoles. You shouldn't develop for them. Period
Also. It's not wise to burn the console market. Profit margins at $60 a disc. Or put it on steam and everyone can wait for a steam Christmas price. Cut your own throats through laziness. Go for it.

Multiple input controller handling for an interface system fundamentally designed for single input, non hierarchical, focus lead input, on a brand new platform with a new API, for an unreleased title, is NOT 'basic'.

Let me put this in context for you. I am a game developer with over 20 years experience in the field, which makes me one of only a very small number of people to have been doing it this long. I have written many game on many platforms, some of which you will know very well, some of which you will never have heard of - it is very likely that I worked on my first released computer game before you were born. I have a degree in computer science & AI. I worked on not only this title, but also previous Need for Speed titles (which also have single focus controller setups, because the cost of fixing that issue was too high for EA to consider it a priority). I have worked on other sporting titles on previous platforms. As far as I can tell, you know very little about the situation as you have not added any information of any value to the discussion?

No-one is burning any market, we would be stupid to do so, and we are not stupid. Or lazy. if you think we are, I suggest you look at the release notes for the game up to release and see how hard we worked. I suggest also you should get a CompSci degree, then get a job in the industry, learn to code for the platforms, break your teeth on a few projects, then you can come back and we can talk. I would also suggest that you do not insult my intelligence, or my work ethic. Because if you actually were able to get me angry, I can be really quite hard work.

Have a nice day :D

Ian Bell
11-06-2015, 05:34

'Yeah I hear you rambling?' What the hell kind of horrible attitude of a response is that to a staff member telling you the facts as they are?

Double infraction please mods.

Let me make this clear, we will not let people like you drive the staff away from this forum. You seem to want to ruin it for the 99.9% of good people here. You won't.

Richard Steer
11-06-2015, 07:17
As I thought, this issue is already logged on our bug database. I will update the bug report with a link to this thread, so if anyone has any further information they would like to add, do so here and it will be available to the coder who fixes this - likely to be JamesB as he specialises in controller issues; though it could be me if it comes more under GUI specific code.

I will also add in the notes that the task priority needs looking at, given the discussions here.

Bjorn Kruuse-Meyer
11-06-2015, 07:51
'Yeah I hear you rambling?' What the hell kind of horrible attitude of a response is that to a staff member telling you the facts as they are?

Let me make this clear, we will not let people like you drive the staff away from this forum. You seem to want to ruin it for the 99.9% of good people here. You won't.

I found it insulting to me also. Calling the reality of making software rambling.
What Richard described is an accurate description of my reality to (I work in software development).

I hope that people can stop abusing developers because they lack basic knowledge of software development.

Stephen Viljoen
11-06-2015, 09:11
As I thought, this issue is already logged on our bug database. I will update the bug report with a link to this thread, so if anyone has any further information they would like to add, do so here and it will be available to the coder who fixes this - likely to be JamesB as he specialises in controller issues; though it could be me if it comes more under GUI specific code.

I will also add in the notes that the task priority needs looking at, given the discussions here.

To back up Richard here, it has been on our radar for a good while, from before release, but had to be prioritized for post release. It's not a simple flick-a-switch and it works, as Richard explained very clearly.

Just on a side note, there are some of you in this thread (you know who you are), who thinks it's a good idea to randomly PM staff so that the issue that you have the biggest grief with gets the most attention. Please understand that this doesn't help, it only distracts, because for every issue that's important to someone, somebody thinks it's a good idea to PM us and we end up with a ton of PM 'noise'. We are monitoring these forums constantly, and we won't miss these posts, so please, keep it here. :)

KartKingCorre
11-06-2015, 09:43
Thank you so much for all these responses. They are pretty much what I expected: you are on to it. And that's all I need to know. I'm confident that you will sort this out if possible!
In the mean time, continue working your magic on this game, it is much appreciated by many! I am very happy Pcars set the pace for serious console racing simulators!
We can still enjoy an awesome race without some of these features indeed, but we cannot use the simulator to its full potential, yet!

VBR
11-06-2015, 10:32

To back up Richard here, it has been on our radar for a good while, from before release, but had to be prioritized for post release. It's not a simple flick-a-switch and it works, as Richard explained very clearly.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond, & for explaining the issue from your standpoint, I had no idea it was such a complex feature to implement. It's just nice to be reassured that you guys are aware of it, & can understand our frustration.

Just on a side note, there are some of you in this thread (you know who you are), who thinks it's a good idea to randomly PM staff so that the issue that you have the biggest grief with gets the most attention. Please understand that this doesn't help, it only distracts, because for every issue that's important to someone, somebody thinks it's a good idea to PM us and we end up with a ton of PM 'noise'. We are monitoring these forums constantly, and we won't miss these posts, so please, keep it here. :)

Point taken, & I am sorry for any annoyance this has caused. Please understand that I've been playing Gran Turismo almost exclusively since 2002, & am used to being completely ignored by the developer (GT Planet Q&A for instance (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/why-are-the-option-settings-in-gran-turismo-so-limited.309664/)), so when there was no response I automatically went into full assault mode! I shall refrain from doing so in the future, with full confidence in your diligence when looking for issues on this forum.

Mascot
11-06-2015, 11:10
I really love the direct communication we get from the devs on this forum - it's setting a whole new standard for the rest of the industry to follow.

It's great to hear that this issue has been recognised and is now receiving attention. As others have stated, it's not just an inconvenience for wheel users - it actually entirely removes some basic (but critical) functionality.

Keep up the hard work guys. The vast silent majority of us really do appreciate it.

IrideGravity
11-06-2015, 16:44

I just want what doesn't work. To work. That's all. And honest answers are always good. Glad to see some people step in and speak to the situation. I'll take a little spanking here or there if it prods some action where I wasn't getting any before. And if I get banned, for vicious words like "rambling" probably doing me a favor. Whatever. I waste enough time here anyway. Pining for my "sloppy seconds" cause I imagine that's what developing from PC to console feels like. You can ban my IP. We still have internet at the library in this country. And wifi for days.

Goruk
11-06-2015, 16:45

Aldo Zampatti
11-06-2015, 16:49

Awful reply for a dev who took a lot of time replying, I would have infracted you personally. Please, thinks twice or three times before posting because someone who is not at all obligated to reply in this forum, took the time to do it because of you and many others.

Benja190782
11-06-2015, 19:45

Thanks for the response. You guys are simply amazing - just a little detail that would help us with a keyboard on the PS4/Xbox One version. Could you make it possible to press the A button (Xbox) instead of the START button, at the start screen when the game starts up?
Then we could press "Enter" on the keyboard as that would be the same as the A button to actually enter the game.

I can't use the controller with a wheel, but this little detail would help me a lot. :p
It's not easy when the realism is this high! ;)

http://share.xboxlife.dk/file/zwmxnwm5nge2mdhhndy1zjvmmdzmmgqzzdy5ogfjmji.jpg

Fight-Test
11-06-2015, 19:51
Ignore iridegravity. He jumped in our league practice when he join our race group and cried like a baby when he relized he was slow and tried to blame it on our bad driving. What a joker.

madmax2069
12-06-2015, 12:40
Oops

IrideGravity
13-06-2015, 21:10
Ignore iridegravity. He jumped in our league practice when he join our race group and cried like a baby when he relized he was slow and tried to blame it on our bad driving. What a joker.

You talking about that wreckfest that is WRC again? You guys get a race complete without a mess yet? I remember you guys bragging about going 3-3 when it came to your last race date. Major incidents in all three races. With less than half a field. Haha.
I'm really missing WRC when I troll the pro only lobbies. Hint. No I'm not.
Oh. And for the record. You may have already seen me out there! I have more than one psn account ;)

Fanapryde
13-06-2015, 21:17
You talking about that wreckfest that is WRC again? You guys get a race complete without a mess yet? I remember you guys bragging about going 3-3 when it came to your last race date. Major incidents in all three races. With less than half a field. Haha.
I'm really missing WRC when I troll the pro only lobbies. Hint. No I'm not.
Oh. And for the record. You may have already seen me out there! I have more than one psn account ;)And I hoped there was news about the use of controller and wheel at the same time.
Could you please save this kind of posts for private messages ? Thanks.

LotusTeam
14-06-2015, 02:41
I have been playing different racing titles for years but this is the first time I can actually see "real people" from devs to response directly to the voice of request and wishes! It's just amazing and is definitely a whole new standard of the industry!

I'm touched!

IrideGravity
14-06-2015, 23:14
And I hoped there was news about the use of controller and wheel at the same time.
Could you please save this kind of posts for private messages ? Thanks.

Public responses get a public response from me. Want to talk privately. Start your conversation there. I assume you were talking to both of us? Because I didn't bring old junk into this new thread.

Fanapryde
15-06-2015, 05:40
Public responses get a public response from me. Want to talk privately. Start your conversation there. I assume you were talking to both of us? Because I didn't bring old junk into this new thread.
Both of you yes.

VBR
19-06-2015, 20:54
Anyway, back on topic...

The best set up would be to use a wheel, DS4, & keyboard at the same time, & to have the ability to assign any function to any button/key on any controller.

IrideGravity
19-06-2015, 21:31
Why does this thread have answered on the top of it. What is the answere. Lol.
Project cars 2? That's the closest to an answer I heard through all the noise in this long old thread
But really, there's NO Answer.

Umer Ahmad
24-06-2015, 14:45
Answered, read patch 2.0 notes

"* Added support for the use of all active controllers for menu input. You can for example now use a steering wheel to race, and a gamepad to control the menus and photo mode."

20 days from request time. STANDING OVATION for these guys. Come on, say thanks. SMS is serious about pcars1.0, tell the trolls.

Aldo Zampatti
24-06-2015, 14:53
Not only that, keyboard also... PS4 matching PC, that's more than interesting! I need to change my G25 for a G29 now... :D

Pink_650S
24-06-2015, 14:56
Patch 2.0 notes? Where? :disillusionment: :onthego:

Eric Bergeret
24-06-2015, 14:57
Patch 2.0 notes? Where? :disillusionment: :onthego:
here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&highlight=patch+2.0)

Pink_650S
24-06-2015, 15:01
here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes&highlight=patch+2.0)

:angel: Not bad! Not bad at all!

Umer Ahmad
24-06-2015, 15:17
My signature has the link too

Goruk
24-06-2015, 15:34
My signature has the link too

No one reads your signature... :p

Great patch, big thanks to all the people o make it happen...

Fanapryde
24-06-2015, 16:05

"* Added support for the use of all active controllers for menu input. You can for example now use a steering wheel to race, and a gamepad to control the menus and photo mode."

20 days from request time. STANDING OVATION for these guys. Come on, say thanks. SMS is serious about pcars1.0, tell the trolls.
I may have been too enthousiastic (hope not) since I have a BT keyboard. Will that work too ?

graveltrap
24-06-2015, 16:36
Top work and much appreciated :)

Umer Ahmad
24-06-2015, 16:50
I may have been too enthousiastic (hope not) since I have a BT keyboard. Will that work too ?

Yes (fingers crossed!)

If the PS4 can see it and the game detects it as an "active controller" you should be good2go

Does the bluetooth keyboard currently work at all in project cars? Right now, today?

Fanapryde
24-06-2015, 17:07
Yes (fingers crossed!)

If the PS4 can see it and the game detects it as an "active controller" you should be good2go

Does the bluetooth keyboard currently work at all in project cars? Right now, today?
To a certain point I was able to navigate in the menu. Did not try it lately because that was not of much help.
I will check later today and let you know.

VBR
24-06-2015, 17:09

I've played Gran Turismo since 2002, & have many times tried to interact with the game dev, without success. When I made this thread I had little to no expectations, but I could see that SMS were genuinely trying to do things different & gave them the benefit of the doubt. When they first replied to us in this thread, I actually went into a state of shock, I couldn't believe what was happening. I even missed my lunch without realising, & for hours I was like; "is this really happening?", I almost felt tearful & got quite emotional. And now they've not only responded, but they've sorted out the issue also...wow!

I'm not a WMD member, I'm just a regular guy, an average joe. I'm someone that a huge producer wouldn't care about regarding my individual gripes or concerns with their game. But SMS have cut out the middle man, they've set up WMD & essentially become their own producer. And guess what? It works!

Thank you ever so much SMS for sorting out this issue. I'm now going into another state of shock & will need to take the whole evening to recover from this extremely pleasant surprise.

Umer Ahmad
24-06-2015, 17:32
Dude i know exactly how you feel. I went through the same emotions back in April 2011 when Ian first started communicating with us back at NoGripRacing.com (sim racing forum) after the Shift2 release. Paradigm shift. Mindblown.

Remco: can you find that "cunning plan" thread? Would be a good trip down memory lane and some of these guys might enjoy reading the history of it all

edit: if you can, and it's something you seem to appreciate, you may want to consider getting involved with project cars 2 at the new forum. It's quite educational if you've ever wondered how the cookies are made.

Fanapryde
24-06-2015, 18:21
Yes, just checked. My Logitech BT keyboard works in the menus. I can navigate, pick choices, move sliders.
But that was already the case.

Aldo Zampatti
24-06-2015, 19:33
Dude i know exactly how you feel. I went through the same emotions back in April 2011 when Ian first started communicating with us back at NoGripRacing.com (sim racing forum) after the Shift2 release. Paradigm shift. Mindblown.

Remco: can you find that "cunning plan" thread? Would be a good trip down memory lane and some of these guys might enjoy reading the history of it all

edit: if you can, and it's something you seem to appreciate, you may want to consider getting involved with project cars 2 at the new forum. It's quite educational if you've ever wondered how the cookies are made.

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249418 :)

EDIT: There's one guy who posted there, Micas, sounds familiar.....:rolleyes:

Umer Ahmad
24-06-2015, 19:52
Yes, just checked. My Logitech BT keyboard works in the menus. I can navigate, pick choices, move sliders.
But that was already the case.

Ok cool. Well when this patch is deployed you should be able to use the kb as a buttonbox and flash lights etc by mapping it to a key. (Maybe worth trying even now?)

Fanapryde
24-06-2015, 20:39
Ok cool. Well when this patch is deployed you should be able to use the kb as a buttonbox and flash lights etc by mapping it to a key. (Maybe worth trying even now?)
So eager to get this, that I checked immediately after reading...
No, does not work.
After each try to assign a key, I get a note:
" Multiple inputs were detected.
No action was assigned "

JohnSchoonsBeard
25-06-2015, 06:13
Well done SMS. Well done VBR (pull yourself together man!) ;)

When using a wheel the first thing I'm going to see if I can do after patch 2.0 is see if I can use the analogue stick for look around and the handbrake. If they work then I'll have to work out a way to attach the DS4 to the wheel / wheel stand. it may involve gaffer tape.

I signed up for Project Cars 2 and literally the next day I see a great example of why.

Fanapryde
25-06-2015, 07:05
I signed up for Project Cars 2 and literally the next day I see a great example of why.
You are on PS4. I thought I read you had to be on PC ?

TheReaper GT
25-06-2015, 07:08

To try the builds, not to join

JohnSchoonsBeard
26-06-2015, 17:12

As SOI TheReaper said the last poster said you need a PC to test the current builds but are still free to join in everything else and get the goodies including a very early pre order :). My reasons are that I wanted to help with input regarding features. I've worked in that sort of role previously so wanted to try and help a bit early on with that. However I will get a new PC at some point in the not too distant future.

XB1 members may be getting early builds as Microsoft have announced an early access program. PS4 haven't announced anything yet but maybe they will. It will certainly be to everyone's benefit if console versions can also be tested by members early.

Fanapryde
26-06-2015, 17:43
It will certainly be to everyone's benefit if console versions can be also be tested by members early.
This certainly:eagerness:

VBR
01-07-2015, 07:58
Realised that I was beaten to this issue twice before posting this thread:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23998-Wheel-Keyboard-Controller-Support-PS4

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28346-PATCH-2-0-need-to-be-able-to-have-multiple-input-devices-connected-the-same-time

Hmmm...

Umer Ahmad
06-07-2015, 13:39
Delivered today. Try it out and enjoy. Let us know if any issues.

graveltrap
06-07-2015, 18:52
Happy! Now have menu navigation via the pad and photomode is easier to use, just have to figure out what the sliders do ;)

Next job is to grab a keyboard and make a mount for the Omega wheel stand....

VBR
06-07-2015, 19:17
Delivered today. Try it out and enjoy. Let us know if any issues.

I can't use my wheel at all now!

The game thinks that my Fanatec GT2 is a Turbo S, so I can't calibrate the wheel properly as it shows the wrong menu, & when I try to calibtare my pedals it registers nothing. I couldn't play this game for about a month until patch 1.4 fixed the Fanatec wheel issues, & now I'm back to not being able to play it at all.

:(

EDIT: Made a thread for the issue in the tech support forum here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34192-HELP-SMS!-Fanatec-GT2-amp-Patch-2-0-Wheel-Not-Working). PROBLEM SOLVED NOW!

Kidney
07-07-2015, 06:23
I now can use, after patch 2.0, the DS4 in the menus and the Wheel in races. Although it seems the right analogue stick doesnt work to scrool. Neither for looking around in the race.
Still great improvement to be able to use them both in the game.
Cheers