PDA

View Full Version : [CLOSED] The Black Screen Bug (game still running)

Umer Ahmad
04-06-2015, 00:18
This one is killing me.

I'm driving along nicely and suddenly the screen goes black. Physics and Audio continues fine (i can hear my car go off throttle, run off track and usually hit a wall). I must ctrl+alt+del to task manager and click the game icon in the task bar to bring the game back to the foreground.

It's kinda like in UNIX system where you can backround "bg" a process. Like something in Windows (or the game itself) thinks this process should be backgrounded.

I have not found any definitive patterns yet. Seems to happen more in Multiplayer though.

No exceptions, dialog windows, error messages. Game resumes fine once i bring it back to foreground

Morgan Henstridge
04-06-2015, 01:52
Hi Umer, when this happens, do you get the "Display Driver has Stopped Responding and successfully recovered" message in the Windows Event Viewer??

Umer Ahmad
04-06-2015, 03:01
No, no messages/warnings. This never happened to me before release. I was able to run 1-hour races with TGC guys. No it seems to happen at about 10-15 minutes of a race

edit: oh, event viewer. Ok i have to check that.

bolymax
04-06-2015, 03:06
Same thing happens to me and hundreds of other people, there is something wrong with this game, it has nothing to do with the system, I have a high end PC and there are other people
that put my system to shame and they are also having the same problem.

Please, please put an end to all this nightmare and fix this game.

Morgan Henstridge
04-06-2015, 06:03
I can almost always trace my black screens down to a popup event like Steam overlay etc if i forget to turn it off. But mine never recovers.

If i remember to kill the steam overlay and any other OSD's I can play for hours at a time.

I am still on the 350.12 (i think) driver.

MysterG
04-06-2015, 06:23
I had this start yesterday after plugging in a 3rd monitor into my gtx970 via the HDMI port.
Could not recover pcars stayed black, but running.

Disabled the monitor and all was fine again.

falcon2081
04-06-2015, 07:10
I had something similar as well during a MP Race. Screen went black and I had to alt tab to get it back. Turns out Steam Broadcasting was enabled and a friend was trying to watch and that was causing the issue with the black screen.

Umer Ahmad
04-06-2015, 13:16
I have steam overlay disabled. I run DXTory for capture and fps-capping but it was never a problem prior to release.

Sankyo
04-06-2015, 13:42
Try running without DXTory. I've had some game conflict issues with it in the past.

Umer Ahmad
04-06-2015, 20:42
One thing i thought it could be related to was the HDD (traditional, not SSD) where DXTory records stops spinning after few minutes of inactivity.

How do you tell Windows to keep spinning the hard drives?

Mad Al
04-06-2015, 20:52
Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Hard Disk

jgaganas
05-06-2015, 05:44
This one is killing me.

I'm driving along nicely and suddenly the screen goes black. Physics and Audio continues fine (i can hear my car go off throttle, run off track and usually hit a wall). I must ctrl+alt+del to task manager and click the game icon in the task bar to bring the game back to the foreground.

It's kinda like in UNIX system where you can backround "bg" a process. Like something in Windows (or the game itself) thinks this process should be backgrounded.

I have not found any definitive patterns yet. Seems to happen more in Multiplayer though.

No exceptions, dialog windows, error messages. Game resumes fine once i bring it back to foreground

Had this issue only once, immediately after switching usb-devices (pad to csw-rig).

Went black during a perfectly fine quick race (no apparent reason). No recording software running, just the steam overlay on for fps-counter.

Did you change any USB-Plug before this happened?

Xereau
06-06-2015, 02:09
I solved this problem by running the game windowed.

See if that works for you.

jgaganas
06-06-2015, 07:20
Had this issue only once, immediately after switching usb-devices (pad to csw-rig).

Went black during a perfectly fine quick race (no apparent reason). No recording software running, just the steam overlay on for fps-counter.

Did you change any USB-Plug before this happened?

Update:

Had this issue twice today (within a very short period of time) at the Pagani/Monza event (i did not change anything with the USB-Config this time).

Deactivated "MSI Afterburner" (Windows Startup) and for now, it seems to run stable again... i keep you updated.

Update 2: I'm now pretty sure it was my CPU temp (not GPU). Added more cooling and it seems fine for now (with Afterburner back on).

Mackraken
06-06-2015, 11:57
This happened to me and it was fixed by disabling Windows 7-8 Aero. The game goes black because of a Windows7/8 popup asking you if you want to disable Aero for better performance. Either you can disable aero or the popup, check this out:
http://www.howtogeek.com/131059/how-can-i-disable-windows-7s-aero-performance-warnings/

You can return to the game or focus the popup using Alt + Tab when the screen goes black.

nhitrac
09-06-2015, 03:40
I used to get this ALL the time with AC. At least once everytime AC is started.

Never found out what the issue was (even after a clean install of Windows 8.1). Hopefully I'll never get this with pCars as it can literally ruin your race especially when online.

Ps. never tried the disable aero trick as mentioned above. But interesting...

Mackraken
09-06-2015, 05:51
Ps. never tried the disable aero trick as mentioned above. But interesting...

The screen goes black because of the popup that happens when windows is running out of virtual memory. If you hit any key other than Alt + Tab the popup will disappear and wont let you know what happened.

As the article said, there are several ways to remove that popup.

1.-Stop uxsms service.
Before launching the game, open a console (cmd.exe) and type "net stop uxsms" to disable desktop composition. (After you are done with the game type "net start uxsms" to restore windows visual effects)

2.-Customize the shortcut
Right click Project cars shortcut -> go to compatibility tab -> click "disable themes" and "disable desktop composition". This will disable those settings while the game is running.

3.-Disable Themes effects globally
Use Windows Key + Pause to bring up the system panel. Goto Advanced Settings -> Performance -> Adjust settings for performance. This will disable all visual effects.

Umer Ahmad
17-06-2015, 01:55
Since patch 1.3 this has stopped happening to my game, I am able to run the game for a long time now no black screen. I have not made any significant local changes to my PC config. I will mark it closed for now and report back if it happens anymore. Thanks all.

Nestoche
17-06-2015, 03:02
Since patch 1.3? This issue/bug is happening since the 1.4 update. As well as the bug where it gets stuck on the loading track screen. I never had this happened in patch 1.3. So there is a problem with patch 1.4 causing this crash. It is very frustrating. I love Pcars and I'm sure it is going to be great once these hick-ups are fixed but in the mean time, I had to stop playing it until this crash issue gets resolve.

Since patch 1.3 this has stopped happening to my game, I am able to run the game for a long time now no black screen. I have not made any significant local changes to my PC config. I will mark it closed for now and report back if it happens anymore. Thanks all.

Mackraken
17-06-2015, 15:42
Lol, yes Nestoche is right, it will happen with any patch unless pCars disables by itself windows 7/8 visual effects while its running (that it could). It even happened to me yesterday playing Dirt2. So i took drastic measures, Disabled the whole action center and win7 visual themes once and for all. Yes my desktop looks like crap, but at least i dont get the pop up anymore.

flymar
25-06-2015, 19:37
This happened to me and it was fixed by disabling Windows 7-8 Aero. The game goes black because of a Windows7/8 popup asking you if you want to disable Aero for better performance. Either you can disable aero or the popup, check this out:
http://www.howtogeek.com/131059/how-can-i-disable-windows-7s-aero-performance-warnings/

You can return to the game or focus the popup using Alt + Tab when the screen goes black.
I just tried several wet races and got the black window three times - twice in the first race (3rd,4th lap) and one after several - I will try disabling the pop up. If it works... thank you very much.

EDIT: So far so good.

flymar
07-07-2015, 19:25
I just tried several wet races and got the black window three times - twice in the first race (3rd,4th lap) and one after several - I will try disabling the pop up. If it works... thank you very much.

EDIT: So far so good.
But not for long. Black screen few times after disabling windows troubleshoot pop up.
Meanwhile in windows reports application error
[Pakiet błędów , typ 0
Nazwa zdarzenia: LiveKernelEvent
Odpowiedź: Niedostępny
Identyfikator pliku Cab: 0]

doctharock
08-07-2015, 13:28
I had this happening to me. Had tried turning off all overlays and extra processes running in the background. Still no luck. I had my cpu OC'ed pretty heavy. I backed down the OC and it hasn't happened since. Not sure if that will help you or not, but worth a shot if you have your cpu overclocked.

Same can happen for gpu a overclock, but it's more of a hard freeze. This game just doesn't play nice with overclocking, plain and simple.

Flihp
08-07-2015, 13:45
Hi there, I was getting the occasional black screen as described,but not since i dissabled vsync with v2 update, I had to run vsync before v2, even when I was getting over 70fps, but things got a lot better with v2 and now not requiring vsync anymore, Just worth a try perhaps,,,

PHIL