PDA

View Full Version : To wheel or not to wheel

Motorhead Racer
04-06-2015, 17:21
As the title says, I am thinking of getting a wheel, but it is not that simple...

To go with it, I will also need a new desk, a new chair as the pedals may be an issue.. Im 5ft tall, so being able to have it at the right height for the monitor and be able to view the screen at a decent angle.. all the while still being able to use the PC for other functions, I do not see how it will work.
I have seen some others will a seperate screen, desk etc to one side, but there is no room for that kind of set up..

Really struggling to see how I am gonna make it work!

Cuba
04-06-2015, 17:24
Make it work! It's worth it!!

bmanic
04-06-2015, 17:28
It's definitely worth working out some kind of solution if you want to make the most out of the game. If you are worried about how to get the wheel to the table you could opt instead for something like the Wheel Stand Pro. I have one for the exact reason that I can not get my TX wheel clamped to the table. It works exceptionally well and this allows you to have a wheel in virtually any situation.

http://www.wheelstandpro.com/

charliev69
04-06-2015, 17:41
Do It !!
The only way you can drive a car properly is with a wheel and pedals !
I recommend a TM T300rs or the slightly cheaper G27.

HBR-Roadhog
04-06-2015, 17:43
There is always a way. Initially I used the same desk and chair as I use for the PC. I build a little wooden holder for the pedals to get them at the height and angle that I was comfortable with. I added some little out riggers that went back to touch the molding at the base of the wall so they would not slide under use. They went under the desk so did not take up any space other than they did not allow my office chair to go under anymore, no problem there.

As for mounting the wheel first I tried the keyboard tray but it would move around, I took 2 little c clamps and attached them to either side of the tray slider which stopped the sliding but the tray was not rigid enough and was afraid I would break it off. I then got a couple of boards and used two quick grips to clamp to the desk top and mounted the wheel to the board. This worked well but I have a U shaped desk so would be harder with a normal desk. With that setup when I wanted to drive I would just pull the board with the wheel mounted on it from under the desk and quickly clamp it on either side then when done I would release the clamps and set the whole thing under the desk.

Later I ended up buying a car seat from the junk yard and building a wooden frame to hold it and mounted my wheel, pedals and shifter using my car as a guide for placement of each. It ended up being a bit heavy once the seat, wheel and pedals were mounted so I bought some casters like you would find on the bottom of a bed and added those to each corner so as to make it easy to move if needed. It does take up a bit of space but feels like setting in a real car. I added the adjustable track for the seat as well so the seat slides back and forward plus reclines and all. Makes driving much more enjoyable.

I also added a little console with a padded arm rest on one side and made the wheel mount with a little expose surface on either side so I have a place for to sit my coffee and a place for my mouse or whatever I need.

I have since upgraded the wheel to a CSR Elite and the pedals to Club Sports

razorseal
04-06-2015, 17:45
It makes driving so much more exciting with a wheel and pedals. I have a cheap DFGT and even that with the basic pedals it's much more fun. I actually had so much fun that I spent the money yesterday to get me a nice set of fanatec pedals.

I have everything attached to a regular computer desk which isn't best, but it works for now.

Doctor Doom
04-06-2015, 17:52
Project Cars is truly ahead of it's time. Get a G27 wheel. Without a wheel the game is not the same. I just upgraded to a GTX 970 simply so I could enjoy the game at ultra settings. I actually have my G27 hooked into my desk. It' the perfect height for racing. I would suggest a racing seat if you are a serious gamer.

razorseal
04-06-2015, 18:04
you can look at something like this too... u can put it away when you're done. attach everything to it

http://smoketronics.com/images/challengemain.jpg

Gavin Thomas
04-06-2015, 18:07
There's no question here, wheel!
Don't think about it, just do it!

MarleyMoo
04-06-2015, 19:28
I got this exact cheapo desk http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Basic-Student-Desk/17479995 and use it for clamping the G25 on. When not racing, I just un-screw the wheel and put it on the floor. The pedals stay in place on a carpet, but that doesn't hinder normal computer use.

KK78
04-06-2015, 19:32
If there is any way to try one out first I'd do that, it's all very well for those who have adapted to use a wheel to champion the experience, but it's not universal. I personally can't get along with wheels, much like arcade sticks I'm not as fast or accurate as I am with a controller. I'm sure I'm in the minority but if there is a big outlay of money involved for the kit, together with potentially more room been utilised I for one would be seeing if I can at least try a wheel out first to make sure I feel comfortable, competitive and not too much out of pocket.

PTG Claret
04-06-2015, 19:41
If I didn't have a wheel, I'd have sold my console long ago.

Imho, you are cheating yourself out of a great side of gaming by not having one - if you like racing games that is.

Andy Rink
04-06-2015, 21:22
I paid like $12-$15 for my current computer desk, it's like 5 pieces of particle board and tiny. I've had great big giant ones and everything in between. I just install and uninstall the wheel and shifter (G27) when I plan on racing. It's a bit of a pain, but not much really. I use a shim to attach the shifter, but other than that, not a big deal. It can wobble a little under hard-fast turning, but it does the job.

Umer Ahmad
04-06-2015, 21:57
You can do the board-trick instead of buying new desk. Basically find a long enough and heavy board, clamp your wheel to that and stick our monitor (with additional weights like reams of paper etc) on the other end. Usually a hardware store Shelving isle will have suitable choices for cheap.

Just a cheap option that can work. I use a Versa Table computer desk, works perfect because it has a 3/4 inch thick top and no drawers etc in the middle so the g27 clamps reliably to it. I highly recommend this lroduct but not cheap, but if you're desk ahopping anyway it's the last desk you'll ever buy

versatables.com

lacslyer
04-06-2015, 22:13
It's definitely worth working out some kind of solution if you want to make the most out of the game. If you are worried about how to get the wheel to the table you could opt instead for something like the Wheel Stand Pro. I have one for the exact reason that I can not get my TX wheel clamped to the table. It works exceptionally well and this allows you to have a wheel in virtually any situation.

http://www.wheelstandpro.com/

I'd suggest the DXRacer rig over this. It's only a bit more, but allows you to upgrade to a racing chair much more easily. It's also extremely durable and folds away well. Oh, plus free shipping on it currently.

Link: http://www.dxracer.com/us/en-us/product/1/game_simulator/racing_simulator/

Bouyo
05-06-2015, 02:18
I agree, do the wheel. Your situation sounds simple compared to mine:

I have a small bedroom with a Queen-size bed and simply nowhere to put a wheel ... solution:

Moved the mattress two thirds off the box spring, lay a 10' by 4' piece of ply on the box spring, get a chest and prop a dolls seat up against it, then cover that in a blanket, remove the wheel from the cupboard, put a clothes basket into said cupboard, pull down a projector screen and on and on. It's still worth it!

Incidentally I have a wheelstand pro v2 which I highly recommend as it's the only way to truly adjust your wheel for a given seat/wheel setup (if you're not running a permanent station). Also the build quality is excellent.

theredeye_uk
05-06-2015, 07:42
Hi
You don't need to spend big bucks or be a DIY expert. I bought the non-feedback Thrustmaster 548 spider wheel for xbox one, works a treat and was about 60. I'm really happy.

As for a stand, I ended up buying one from ebay.co.uk. It was made hand by an independent seller and to a fantastic standard. Fully folding and adjustable, extremely strong and stable and only about 30. Far better than the cr*p you get on the high street.

With this setup I'm completely happy and for under 100!

FarChri
05-06-2015, 09:08
Wheel!

But today I've read, that (at least in Germany) the prices for (promt available) wheels, like the T300RS, G27,... have increased up to 25% since the release of pCARS.
So it may be not the best time to buy one.

But hey - at least pCARS seems to go really well then :cool:

wraithsrike
05-06-2015, 09:23
Using a wheel when your use to a Pad is a massive learning curve.

I have a wheel but tend to use a controller mainly, my wheel takes up room in my house so a controller is so much easier plus I'm better with a controller.

That said a wheel and pedal setup will give you a better experience.

konnos
05-06-2015, 10:54
What is the reason you cannot just clamp the wheel to your table? I just clamp it on when i want to play and then put it to the side and carry on with other PC "work"...

Marrrfooo
05-06-2015, 11:09
As the title says, I am thinking of getting a wheel, but it is not that simple...

To go with it, I will also need a new desk, a new chair as the pedals may be an issue.. Im 5ft tall, so being able to have it at the right height for the monitor and be able to view the screen at a decent angle.. all the while still being able to use the PC for other functions, I do not see how it will work.
I have seen some others will a seperate screen, desk etc to one side, but there is no room for that kind of set up..

Really struggling to see how I am gonna make it work!

I absolutely encourage all and sundry to get a wheel.

However, given your setup, I suggest that you go for something like the V2 Deluxe Wheel Stand Pro (http://wheelstandpro.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61) for the T300RS. Someone posted a link earlier but as far as I'm aware the link provided by myself is their UK site - it's all totally legit etc. It's a very customisable stand, very study, quite weighty one the wheel is attached so there's no fear of it falling over. But, importantly, you only ever need hex/alan keys ONCE - when you set it up (and when you recieve it it's already about 90% constructed and it comes with all the tools you need to finish putting it together to your needs).

You can adjust the length of the base so the pedals are closer to you, you can adjust the height of the stalk the wheel sits on, you can adjust the angle of the stalk so it leans towards you if you like, you can adjust the holding plate for the wheel at the top of the stalk (so the steering wheel angle to facing you can be set to your liking).

After all that, it's a simple lever clamp at the bottom that allows you to fold the neck into the base and store it all neatly without any disassembly or tools whatsoever. It's a brilliant piece of kit - honestly.

And the T300RS is excellent.

Should you decide to go down the Thrustmaster T300RS route, the stand helpfully also works with the other pedals that you can buy separately (it comes with more bolts than you need as standard, meaning you have both spares in case you lose anything and also a full set of bolts to put T3PA/T3PA PRO pedals and the TH8A shifter onto your stand).

girlracerTracey
05-06-2015, 13:43
"To wheel or not to wheel?"

I switch between my xbox one/DS4 gamepad and a steering wheel/pedals set-up all the time.

Driving with a steering wheel is a subtly different technique to driving with a standard controller. Both have their advantages I have found tbh. On a wheel set-up you can crucially get on the power more smoothly, slightly earlier and more progressively exiting bends such as Druids hairpin at Brands Hatch. I gain a bit there over a pad user or over myself, if you will, when hot-lapping using a game-pad. Using a steering wheel I am also more consistent and more accurate personally in where I place the car on the track..lap for lap..whilst on the "limit". It's more "controlled" with a wheel.

Conversely, there are definitely situations on many race tracks where a standard gamepad gives you a slight advantage. Direction changes are quicker. Of that there is no doubt. You can flick a thumb-stick much more quickly than you can turn a wheel. This boils down to the laws of physics. Less distance of travel = quicker steering input/response. Same goes for triggers versus throttle/brake pedals. You can get onto full throttle a fraction of a second earlier using a game-pad.

Using a standard game-pad from my experience allows you to lap more quickly than using a wheel/pedals set-up whilst driving certain classes of car on certain circuits. From my experience anyway. Like-wise at certain circuits in certain cars a steering wheel/pedals set-up definitely gives you a distinct advantage. To get used to the game I have been hot-lapping at Brands Hatch g.p. circuit in the Formula A cars using both a steering wheel and for comparison my standard controller. On Brands Hatch g.p. I am definitely slightly faster on a steering wheel/pedals set-up. On PS4 at Brands g.p. using a steering wheel I am 15th on the leader-board after about 30 minutes of trying. On a game-pad best I could achieve was 25th place on the leader-board. Brands, for me at least, tends to suit a steering wheel & pedals more than a controller. Will I ever get to the top of this particular leader-board or any other using a wheel or a controller? Answer: No! No way! lol. But there's no harm whatsoever in trying..!

I agree with ppl who say it looks different to others watching you from behind/alongside in a race and in replays also when you're using a game-pad. Your driving style looks slightly "disjointed" in its appearance and less smooth to the eye. Using a wheel & pedals I tend to run wider sweeping arcs through the bends and my mid-corner speed is higher. On a game-pad by comparison it's "point & squirt".

Bottom line for me is a non-force feedback wheel is absolutely fine. You really do not need to spend 500 (tx wheel and seat/cockpit set-up etc.) to go fast but I can definitely see that a top quality driving "rig" set-up of that nature would add to the level of immersion in Project Cars. But watch out(!) a pad user might "stuff-it" up the inside of you and pull away from you as you relax in your racing seat enjoying the feel of your leather steering wheel "trim".. :friendly_wink:

Great thing for me with any racing game is that there is more than just one way to "skin a rat" as it were.

Interestingly I ran both a steering wheel/pedals set-up & an xbox controller on that arguably highest of all "sim" racing challenges gpbikes. Same advantages/disadvantages applied using a hand-held xbox controller or DS4 controller over using a steering wheel/pedals set-up. The laws of physics apply on two wheels just as much as they do on four wheels I guess. :friendly_wink:

grT

Bulltwinkle
05-06-2015, 14:33
I just got a Thrustmaster TX, stuck it on a wheel stand pro and voile! This is the only way to go for me.

transfix
05-06-2015, 15:55
Definitely wheel. I am stuck using the controller until the Xbox Hub arrives and it feels so crippling. You will never turn back.