PDA

View Full Version : Gut-wrenching loss

Kinna39
04-06-2015, 21:43
I was racing the Pagani invitational at Monza (6 laps on the setting I had), started third and was first after the chicane. Led for the rest of the race but just before I crossed the start/finish line for the last lap with a 4 second lead my fuel light started blinking...

Was starting to run on fumes towards the end of the lap so was short shifting and backing off a bit heading into the Parabolica when I accidentally down-shifted into first and spun out.

Recovered enough to grab second... God damn it :mad:.

Roger Prynne
04-06-2015, 22:21
That's racing for ya.

Schnizz58
04-06-2015, 22:22
I know the feeling.

I was racing Clio Cup at Snetterton and was starting in the back half of the pack. The start of the race had light rain but I got off to a pretty good start and managed to avoid any turn 1 insanity. Then when I got to the right hand sweeper before the S/F straight, I overtook the AI car in front of me by hugging the inside of the turn. Next lap, same thing same spot. Then they call me in for my mandatory pit stop. I did what Lewis Hamilton should have done and ignored them. I figured I was doing OK so far reeling in one guy a lap and decided to pit only when I got behind somebody and couldn't get around them. Also I figured that if the rain stopped, I'd need to get off whatever rain tires I was on and onto slicks. No point pitting now only to have to pit again later if that happened. So I'm having a great time picking off a car just about every lap then sure enough, the rain stopped. I waited one more lap and then pitted to get onto softs. I had worked my way up to P2 with only a lap or two left and set up my usual inside move on the sweeper. But then I braked too late into the next left hander and slid off the track. BLAST! Recovered in time to still get P3 but I was *this* close to a brilliant come-from-way-behind victory. That's racing folks.

Kinna39
04-06-2015, 23:39
While on the subject of running low on fuel, thought you guys might enjoy this clip of the last few laps of the big race at Bathurst last year... Whincup ignored his pit-crew telling him he was going to run out of fuel and ran out on the last lap... hilarious ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vKCRh-5WTs

Mowzer
05-06-2015, 01:57
I feel your pain mate ;). I tried to run the Le Mann 24hr invitational last night in the Ruf RGT-8 GT3 . I did an hour or so of tuning on the car in the practice session then I qualified in 7th in Class could not put a decent lap together . I had the race time cut down to 2 hours started great managed to get up to 4th by the Dunlop curves. Stayed in 4th for the next 10 or so laps then took the 3rd place car on the right hander at the bottom of the Mulsanne. Then took 2nd in the Porsche curves in the next lap or so took 1st in the next lap in one of the chicanes. Then had to pit for fuel in the next couple of laps so dropped back to 4th again no big issue as they all pitted in the next 2 laps. So I was in 1st again picking of gt4 back markers 1 by 1 and avoiding the fast LMP 1 and 2 cars charging though. Got to 10mins from the end charging hard in the Dunlop curves trying to get heat into my front tyres I lose it and spin just as an LMP 1 car is overtaking and I clip him head on and get disqualified :(. Noooo almost 2 hours of hard racing down the drain :( that's racing for you people lol.

AdM1
05-06-2015, 01:59
Yeah I too have had a very frustrating end to a Le mans race lol. I've decided I don't like endurance racing anymore.

Royall58
05-06-2015, 10:34
I was racing the Pagani invitational at Monza (6 laps on the setting I had), started third and was first after the chicane. Led for the rest of the race but just before I crossed the start/finish line for the last lap with a 4 second lead my fuel light started blinking...

Was starting to run on fumes towards the end of the lap so was short shifting and backing off a bit heading into the Parabolica when I accidentally down-shifted into first and spun out.

Recovered enough to grab second... God damn it :mad:.

I feel your pain!

A couple of nights ago I was racing online at Hockenheim in GT3 cars, I qualified 10th out of 16. So for a 10 lap race I put 30 litres in the car thinking that was going to be enough, well I was wrong!! Over the the 10 laps I managed to get from 10th to 1st with a little help from people going off the track and determination. So at the start of the final lap I crossed the line with 1.3 litres left with 2nd place about 0.4 seconds behind so there was no cruising! I watched the figure tumble and I came to a stand still on the last corner and came to a stand still about ten meters away from the line!! I ended up with a DNF :(

As a grown man i'm going to admit I was close to curling up in a ball and start crying.

Mr Akina
05-06-2015, 10:48
The one thing Project CARS simulates the best is the pain, heartbreak and anguish of racing.

Fortunately, that means that the victories are that much sweeter :)

Royall58
05-06-2015, 11:11
@Mr_Akina I couldn't agree more!!

Mowzer
05-06-2015, 12:59
The one thing Project CARS simulates the best is the pain, heartbreak and anguish of racing.

Fortunately, that means that the victories are that much sweeter :)
Amen brother :).