View Full Version : how to open nat settings

titanic tony
05-06-2015, 16:04
on the xbox one
settings
network
test multiplayer connection
it will say checking connection for around 30sec
now it will say everything is good. HOLD DOWN BOTH BUMPER BUTTONS AND BOTH TRIGGERS ALL AT THE SAME TIME
wait for detailed nat info to load
press A twice
if it doesn't work the first time it will the second time

nissan4ever
05-06-2015, 16:09
Having correct ports open on your router for Xbox One on Xbox Live gives you open NAT. See here...

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live

If your modem has a firewall, then it can & will conflict with your router firewall giving you NAT issues (if you're using a router & modem). In this case, put your modem in bridged mode. A quick call to your internet provider will help you put modem in bridged mode & remedy this issue, permanently. This will leave all firewall activities to your router.

These should guarantee open NAT 24/7. Does in my case :)

MXR SMILER
05-06-2015, 17:12
I have a bt router and 2 xbox1s and CANNOT after 5 months of changing settings ( my bro is computer whiz) get my NAT to stay Open. We have narrowed down the issue to the router and it seems that there is not a specific router that definitely works. Any suggestions anyone?

nissan4ever
05-06-2015, 17:19
I have a bt router and 2 xbox1s and CANNOT after 5 months of changing settings ( my bro is computer whiz) get my NAT to stay Open. We have narrowed down the issue to the router and it seems that there is not a specific router that definitely works. Any suggestions anyone?

Alright, you're using a modem & router. I suggest making sure your modem is in bridged mode, so it won't conflict with router firewall. Quick call to your ISP will fix that.

I have both my Xbox One & Xbox 360 port forwarding set on my router. This link here will break it down by router brand.

http://portforward.com/

This should get you squared away, if this is what your problem is.

I myself use a D-Link DGL 5500 Gaming Router w/streamboost. I have not had issues with my NAT since owning this router. I used to have 2 Xbox 360's connected to it & they both would have open NAT, even when both were on at same time. My modem is bridged & necessary ports are forwarded for Xbox Live.

FederalHercules
05-06-2015, 17:25

I believe it is a limitation of NAT in general. When you configure your router you are either forwarding packets on a port or set of ports to a specific device (or setting up a bridge that essentially takes traffic from the ISP right to that device). Thus, that device effectively gets the same IP address of the router. By definition (I forget which layer but I think on the TCP/UDP stack), the router can only route this traffic to one address/device. If you needed it to go to more devices, well, you have to use NAT or get more than one IP address from your ISP.

Disclaimer: I believe my understanding is correct but my semantics may be in error. The best solution for the world is to get off IPV4 and move to IPV6. Lets kill NAT together! :)

MXR SMILER
05-06-2015, 17:59
Thanks to both of you for your input, and after discussing this with my brother he suggested we might try port triggering and one or two other things ( I am not very good with tech ) If I am able to enable Open NAT to both XBox1's I will post the results of our endeavours and list of system/devices in the hope it may help others in the same position.;)

I just (7:10 GMT) read titanic tonys post PROPERLY and followed his instructions - guess what - I have an open Nat (guess the XBox just nicked the ports off something else) Yet to see how this affects it long term but at least now I can get open nat without asking my little brother (I am not a yoof) THANKYOU TT Happy Racing All of you!

titanic tony
06-06-2015, 10:07
I suggest putting in your ip address manually as well etc on your xbox it helps

MXR SMILER
07-06-2015, 09:02
Thanks Tony, Got new router coming so will post results as stated in my previous post.

s1yfa
07-06-2015, 09:39
BT hubs are the worst. The new 5, although now combining modem and router into one, is the junkiest thing they ever made. I install networks and the first thing we do is drop them in the bin and plug in a Cisco unit. VPNs are impossible with the new ones as they cant even deal with remote clients on a different subnet! Honestly buying a decent router will be the best purchase you ever made ��

MXR SMILER
07-06-2015, 09:47
BT hubs are the worst. The new 5, although now combining modem and router into one, is the junkiest thing they ever made. I install networks and the first thing we do is drop them in the bin and plug in a Cisco unit. VPNs are impossible with the new ones as they cant even deal with remote clients on a different subnet! Honestly buying a decent router will be the best purchase you ever made ��

Got a Netgear r7500 for 70 new wow hope it works

IT WORKS - 1 PC - 2 Xbox1s - 1 Tablet - 2 smartphones -1 PS4 - 1 Laptop and it seems all work as they should now.
BT Hub 5 is rubbish - bin it.

s1yfa
07-06-2015, 10:53
Got a Netgear r7500 for 70 new wow hope it works

Decent unit for home use, I quite like design of Netgear units. The wireless on Netgear tends to be pretty good too, I install a lot of their business class stuff in schools as it is good value for customers on tight budgets and it works flawlessly.

Umer Ahmad
07-06-2015, 13:56
I really hate these combo modem/router devices. And how dare the ISPs even charge money for them! They suck.

I always use my own equipment, separate modem (Motorola 6121) and router (ASUS Dark Knight). Just go on Amazon and check the user reviews.

nissan4ever
07-06-2015, 20:08
I really do enjoy my D-Link DGL 5500 Gaming Router (especially after latest firmware update).

Very helpful to see what your devices are doing.

The best feature about this router is streamboost technology. You can set your devices up for which one gets priority on bandwith & it works.

Lastly, got all my port forwarding squared away.