PDA

View Full Version : card upgrade from gtx 580

b_akerlite
06-06-2015, 14:30
Hey folks -
currently with my 1568mb gtx 580 - sometimes I play on ultra and get 21 - 40 fps (avg 26) - especially in solo time attack - however when online or doing big races I tone it down to hit the regular 60 -

I dont have much money at all but can stretch to a minor upgrade - i would like to see some fps increase whats the least I would have to spend (nvidia only I am afraid as have bad experiences through the years with AMD drivers especially the catalyst gui very slow and laggy- fine in game i know but i hate that feeling of "is my system broken?" every time i access the driver profile) to achieve a NOTICEABLE FPS increase.

I have access to a cheap second hand gtx580 to go sli but its the 1568 vram holding me back mostly so i guess an upgrade to a card with more vram is key right?

any suggestions?

TheIronWolf
06-06-2015, 15:03
Hey folks -
currently with my 1568mb gtx 580 - sometimes I play on ultra and get 21 - 40 fps (avg 26) - especially in solo time attack - however when online or doing big races I tone it down to hit the regular 60 -

I dont have much money at all but can stretch to a minor upgrade - i would like to see some fps increase whats the least I would have to spend (nvidia only I am afraid as have bad experiences through the years with AMD drivers especially the catalyst gui very slow and laggy- fine in game i know but i hate that feeling of "is my system broken?" every time i access the driver profile) to achieve a NOTICEABLE FPS increase.

I have access to a cheap second hand gtx580 to go sli but its the 1568 vram holding me back mostly so i guess an upgrade to a card with more vram is key right?

any suggestions?

What is the resolution you are playing at? I don't play Ultra, but at 1080p I use DS6X AA as I don't like aliasing, and memory usage is around 1.5Gb per GPU. I would imagine GTX 580 SLI will do really well, and save you spending big money.

You can use MSI Afterburner to track memory usage.

Please, keep in mind that there are many things to consider with going SLI: PSU, CPU power, heat + not all games support SLI/Crossfire.

Scrogg
06-06-2015, 15:03
How much are you willing to spend?

b_akerlite
06-06-2015, 20:05
i guess 280 euros would be max - allowing 20 for shipping

Morgan Henstridge
06-06-2015, 22:00
Just as an example, during the games development, I went from 2 overclocked 580's in SLI, to a 780ti-OC. Everything else remained the same in my system (see sig).

I found the max FPS was not a lot faster, maybe 10fps, but the minimum fps increased massively.

I now run everything maxed out, except the AA, Environment, and Reflections, and it is FPS capped at 75, and never drops below 60 fps, with 30 AI.

If i run the Max AI somewhere like LeMans, it can dip to 50fps on the start grid where you can see all the cars at once, but after the first couple of turns when things spread out, it is back up to 75FPS.

edit - Just to add, this is single screen, if you want to run triples, then your mileage may vary.

b_akerlite
06-06-2015, 22:53
Thanks! Thats very useful information!
It seems choices in my price range are really gtx970 or 780ti..
the 780ti is quite old now but its considerably faster than the 970 for the same money... mmm

Morgan Henstridge
06-06-2015, 22:56
Based on My experience, there is a definite performance boost going to a 780ti over 580s in SLI.

I have not run a 970, mabe someone else has had a 780ti and a 970 and can compare them.

But the 780ti with my settings above does not skip a beat, even in the rain and storms.

flymar
06-06-2015, 23:21
any suggestions?
Are you sure your CPU will handle upgraded card? I was amazed how much improvement I got with new CPU (I went from Q9650).