PDA

View Full Version : Alienware Alpha console box

Slaughter
07-06-2015, 04:24
Anyone playing Project Cars with an Alienware Alpha Console box?

If so, can it handle the game?

Which version of Alpha are you using? i5 or i7?

Morgan Henstridge
07-06-2015, 05:03
Anyone playing Project Cars with an Alienware Alpha Console box?

If so, can it handle the game?

Which version of Alpha are you using? i5 or i7?

Hi Slaughter, I dont have one, but just checked the Specs.

The CPU and Ram side of things should be OK, but I could not see any info on the GPU. Just says Custom nvidia GTX, so no idea what that is.

edit - Just saw it is a 2GB 860M variant. Maybe someone with an 860 in a laptop would have a good idea on how this would run.

Lars Rosenquist
07-06-2015, 07:27
I have a laptop with an i7 and a GTX860m and it runs the game quite nicely on medium, with a few settings to high. And with nicely I mean 1080p/60FPS. There will be some drops when running a large grid in rain of course, but nothing too bad. Note that performance will also depend on the CPU. The Alpha comes in three flavors: i3, i5 and i7. Stay clear of the i3, as it's only dual core.

Basically the Alpha is a laptop in desktop disguise. At the price they're offering it, there are several alternatives that will perform better in Project CARS for the same or a lot lower price! Even having it pre-built (if you fancy the Alpha because it doesn't require buiding your own pc) is still cheaper.

E.g. you can get a decent desktop with a decent desktop i5 (faster than laptop i5), 8GB of memory, and a GTX960 for about the same amount as the middle-of-the-road version of the Alpha. Also note that will leave you with a system that's upgradable in te future. The Alpha is not upgradable.

If you post a budget and/or set of requirements, I'm sure we can help you making a decision/suggest some alternatives. :)

Slaughter
07-06-2015, 19:31
Thanks for the quick response. I'm looking at the alpha due to it being steam compatible and a desktop together. I'm done with building PCs and would like to use this out the box with all steam racing titles I can play with my Logitech G wheel setup. I think it more useful to buy a alien alpha than to spend on another wheel setup for the PS4. plus after reviewing many articles the alpha always come in at 2nd for performance and practicality.

The better alternatives can go as high as 1200 to 1800 dollars after configuration. I don't want to spend that much. Lol.

I have so many PCs, iOS systems, I just want this one for racing. I don't want to go thru the upgrading bug anymore.

Lars Rosenquist
07-06-2015, 19:54
The better alternatives can go as high as 1200 to 1800 dollars after configuration. I don't want to spend that much. Lol.Good news: you don't have to. :) The specs I mentioned you can get for between 700-800 USD, e.g. this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230007). It's also prebuilt/installed, so it's the same ease-of-use for around the same price, but the hardware will blow the Alpha out of the water. And I'm sure there are plenty more alternatives available around that price level.

Blackcelica
07-06-2015, 21:54
Another solution which I do is use my alienware m18x laptop as a desktop base when I'm at home. Just hook up the large screen via hdmi cable and connect up the wireless mouse and keyboard. Boom best of both and runs project cars full spec.

Slaughter
08-06-2015, 00:30
Good news: you don't have to. :) The specs I mentioned you can get for between 700-800 USD, e.g. this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230007). It's also prebuilt/installed, so it's the same ease-of-use for around the same price, but the hardware will blow the Alpha out of the water. And I'm sure there are plenty more alternatives available around that price level.

I'm trying to avoid another desktop. I want a small factor PC. Lol thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at their configuratior for the venom mini last night. Too expensive with all the goodies. I don't want to spend that much.

Slaughter
08-06-2015, 00:34
Another solution which I do is use my alienware m18x laptop as a desktop base when I'm at home. Just hook up the large screen via hdmi cable and connect up the wireless mouse and keyboard. Boom best of both and runs project cars full spec.

I don't need another laptop. I guess I'm try to get something new age like a small factor PC. The same size as my Mac mini to hook up to my 65 HDTV. They can sit side by side and talk to each when I'm not using them. :D thanks for the suggestion.

Art Paradise
06-07-2015, 17:35
funny, we are thinking the same. I have a mac mini also, and didn't want another fan noise making, which video card do i get, download this, configure that, machine.
I am running an Alienware Alpha, i3 low end model. added 4 more Gb of ram and an SSD. i play Assetto Corsa and Project Cars.
i started racing way back with Grand Prix Legends, Nascar 2003 and rfactor for many years. i am new to these 2 games, however.
i use my logitech momo wheel. it seems like i need to calibrate my wheel each time i start the game, though.
i have the graphics up pretty high and they both run smoothly. i check some video reviews on you tube prior to buying the alpha, and i am getting similar results out of the box.
the alpha is a great Kodi box, also.

so the Alpha at $350 after rebate was the choice.

thepharcyde
06-07-2015, 18:18
Cannot see the point in these. Laptop specs in a desktop htpc case.

Just build your own, will be a lot better

thepharcyde
06-07-2015, 18:22
Look here <60 fps one car
https://youtu.be/c9PhI7sVK0E

i3 albeit CPU is used more so for AI, physics on an i3 should be fine so GPU limited

Lars Rosenquist
06-07-2015, 18:37
Look here <60 fps one car
https://youtu.be/c9PhI7sVK0EAnd on a track that is very optimized (Nordschleife), you won't hit that FPS at Spa, LeMans or other tracks. And then add some cars, some weather and watch it come to a standstill.

Slaughter
06-07-2015, 19:58
Cannot see the point in these. Laptop specs in a desktop htpc case.

Just build your own, will be a lot better

I brought a Alienware alpha i7. Loving project cars right now with my G25 cockpit setup.

Lars Rosenquist
06-07-2015, 20:03
The i7 should perform similar to my laptop, so pretty good as long as you don't push the settings too far. The Alpha wouldn't have been my choice, but glad you're enjoying it. :)

Slaughter
06-07-2015, 20:04
The i7 version is not bad and I can play all the racing titles the PS4 will never have. In not too big on full throttle graphics because I'm colorblind. Lol. I just want to race in my man cave, so when I go out in my real life car (2011 WRX STI HB), I don't get a ticket. Getting it out of my system in project cars hahahaha.

Slaughter
06-07-2015, 20:08
The i7 should perform similar to my laptop, so pretty good as long as you don't push the settings too far. The Alpha wouldn't have been my choice, but glad you're enjoying it. :)

I'm surprised at its performance myself. I took the plunge due to it also being a desktop just to save space. I have built too my PCs in my life time and it gets expensive in the end when you get bitten by the modding bug. Lol.

Gaaazzzaaa
07-07-2015, 06:45
I've got one, had it a few weeks now. I've got the i7. Compared to xbox1 the performance is comparable or better. I don't know what a powerful pc can perform like so can't compare. I'm having a lot of issues setting my g27 up. At first I didn't load the software and the wheel was awesome but you had to manually set the game to g27 and map the buttons every time you start the game. Now I've loaded the software and the game recognises the wheel and saves my button maps but the wheel feels horrible. It jumps and grabs and feels like there's gravel in the spindle. Following the set up tips on here hasn't improved things much. Ghe software also really slowed loading times down as well.

Slaughter
07-07-2015, 07:05
I've got one, had it a few weeks now. I've got the i7. Compared to xbox1 the performance is comparable or better. I don't know what a powerful pc can perform like so can't compare. I'm having a lot of issues setting my g27 up. At first I didn't load the software and the wheel was awesome but you had to manually set the game to g27 and map the buttons every time you start the game. Now I've loaded the software and the game recognises the wheel and saves my button maps but the wheel feels horrible. It jumps and grabs and feels like there's gravel in the spindle. Following the set up tips on here hasn't improved things much. Ghe software also really slowed loading times down as well.

There are numerous threads on how to tame your wheel in the forum. Follow them and adjust as needed.
I'm having a blast with the G25 after following some of the tweaks.

Gaaazzzaaa
07-07-2015, 07:08
You will really need a keyboard and mouse as well , I'm pretty sure pcars menus can be navigated with a controller. Also it's a bit limited with USB ports , there's five in total. There's no headphone or microphone jack, so I've got a USB sound card plugged in , my gaming headset takes another one up. Keyboard and mouse take up another two. That leaves one USB socket for either a wheel or controller.

Slaughter
07-07-2015, 15:31
You will really need a keyboard and mouse as well , I'm pretty sure pcars menus can be navigated with a controller. Also it's a bit limited with USB ports , there's five in total. There's no headphone or microphone jack, so I've got a USB sound card plugged in , my gaming headset takes another one up. Keyboard and mouse take up another two. That leaves one USB socket for either a wheel or controller.

I use a USB hub for my non 3.0 devices. It frees up ports for the more demanding stuff. So basically the keyboard and mouse go into the hub. Once you're in the game you can use the shifter buttons to navigate thru the Pcars menu.

GTMeg
07-07-2015, 22:07
hallo iīm a owner of the i5 one version and my choice for little box was mainly the size. I donīt wanted to have a big screamy desktop in my living room. About the performance i am really glad and also use a g27 as controller.

But i donīt use the alienware build in software because of issues with the g27 i ever use the following turn around:

1. leave Alienware Alpha Software
2. go to desktop
3. run logitech profiler and steam
4. start the game

Since patch 1.4 i have reset my controller settings and calibrate new and leave everything at default only TF@77
i use jacks tweaker files as well

Slaughter
08-07-2015, 00:49
hallo iīm a owner of the i5 one version and my choice for little box was mainly the size. I donīt wanted to have a big screamy desktop in my living room. About the performance i am really glad and also use a g27 as controller.

But i donīt use the alienware build in software because of issues with the g27 i ever use the following turn around:

1. leave Alienware Alpha Software
2. go to desktop
3. run logitech profiler and steam
4. start the game

Since patch 1.4 i have reset my controller settings and calibrate new and leave everything at default only TF@77
i use jacks tweaker files as well

I run Pcars from the desktop too with profiler.

GTMeg
08-07-2015, 22:04
did u know something about a hardware upgrade for the alienware alpha this time? @ the us page i read something about it but they didīt sad anything about the specs

Slaughter
08-07-2015, 22:19
did u know something about a hardware upgrade for the alienware alpha this time? @ the us page i read something about it but they didīt sad anything about the specs

I have not heard anything except for the new Alpha Ui hivemind which is out now. My Alpha is only 1 week old. Lol. I'll post the specs later today.

thepharcyde
09-07-2015, 07:20
I would imagine that both the CPU and GPU will be bga soldered so that just leaves ram/hhd upgrades.

Aliennware have done this to their 2015 laptops moving from a socket/mxm for a slimmer laptop.

Slaughter
09-07-2015, 16:33
These are the specs of my alpha:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4765T Quad-Core Processor(8M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz)

NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GPU 2GB GDDR5
Alienware use a custom overclocked GTX860M (laptop gpu) which perform the same as a Desktop GTX 750 Ti or the new GTX 960M (which is just a rebrand of the 860M)

8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx2)

Seagate HDD 5400rpm 2TB
2TB 5400rpm SATA 6Gb/s

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0

Slaughter
09-07-2015, 16:36
I would imagine that both the CPU and GPU will be bga soldered so that just leaves ram/hhd upgrades.

Aliennware have done this to their 2015 laptops moving from a socket/mxm for a slimmer laptop.

The CPU is upgradable in the Alpha.

GTMeg
09-07-2015, 20:35
ok nice to know

did u know if it is possible to directly boot into desktop without firstly loading the dell console?

Slaughter
09-07-2015, 21:33
ok nice to know

did u know if it is possible to directly boot into desktop without firstly loading the dell console?

I did not research that yet, but I've seen comments on uninstalling the UI from desktop mode. This will boot you into your OS.