PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Home cinema setup - no picture

evtilsley
07-06-2015, 10:39
Hi.. was all set for my first session.. alas...

Setup I run is big Win8.1 PC with an MSI GTX470 card, then a short mini HDMI cable into an Onkyo AV amp. This connects to a load of speakers, a sub, and my Panasonic projector. Setup is all fine (took a while to get it so!), we use this setup to watch movies. Windows desktop work A OK. So, all good :)

Installed Project Cars. Did the BIG update. Rebooted. Set monitor 2 (the Projector) to be the primary screen. Tested the system.. Windows all still happy & audio still A OK. Ran Project Cars. Audio kicks in, but no picture. Can see the projector struggling to lock on to something.. a few lines flashing is all I get. If I flick through the projector inputs & return to HDMI1, there's a picture but the sounds is lost. Ace!

Anyone aware of what the issue is?

OppaErich
07-06-2015, 11:22
Is the HDMI Audio output still the default device ? Sometimes it reverts to the mainboard audio device on its own.

Mahjik
07-06-2015, 14:43
What resolution and refresh rate is your projector?

evtilsley
07-06-2015, 20:14
Its an Epson eh-tw5000.. 1080p. Online suggests refresh rate is 100 or 120hz depending on input

evtilsley
08-06-2015, 13:57
Been trawling around.. looks like I'll need to edit an xml file. Jeez.. this is my first venture into PC gaming. Is it always like this ??!

Mahjik
08-06-2015, 14:10
Try using the window size option for a command line parameter (and possibly the FPS cap):

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23045-Command-Line-Launch-Options

MrPix
08-06-2015, 15:19
Been trawling around.. looks like I'll need to edit an xml file. Jeez.. this is my first venture into PC gaming. Is it always like this ??!So, let me get this straight so I can put it into context.

My assumption is that you ran Project Cars on a PC Monitor that has a different resolution/refresh rate than your PJ first... right?

What has happened if that is the case is that the game has done a first time run configuration and the game has created a graphics settings file (<My Documents>\Project CARS\graphicsconfigdx11.xml) based on your graphics card and the attached output device (your monitor)

You then did a subsequent run with your PJ attached and have not told Project Cars that your output device has changed in any way, but as it is not a first time run (e.g. Project CARS found the afore mentioned file) it uses the settings it gathered first time around. It is unlikely that your Monitor and your PJ have the same characteristics.

If Project Cars did a first time setup each time, you would soon get peeved off with the time it took to get in to the game.

All you need to do if you change your graphics card or your output device is fool Project Cars in thinking it hasn't set it up already by deleting or renaming the graphicsconfigdx11.xml file and you should be good to go.

Currently I alternate between a 1080p PJ on a 84" screen and 65" 4K TV and so all I have done is exactly the above... except I keep both files and rename them to graphicsconfigdx11.xml.pj and graphicsconfigdx11.xml.4k. If I'm going to play on the PJ, I copy that file and remove the .pj off the name and I'm good to go.

evtilsley
08-06-2015, 16:02
All you need to do if you change your graphics card or your output device is fool Project Cars in thinking it hasn't set it up already by deleting or renaming the graphicsconfigdx11.xml file and you should be good to go.

Fantastic I'll try this tonight & report back.. and thanks appreciate it (thanks to all others, as well)

Disposable_Hero
08-06-2015, 19:35
For the sake of completeness: hearing audio but seeing no picture could also be the logitech profiler stealing the focus (fixed by starting profiler prior to pCARS).
Of course thatīs only relevant if you have a G25/G27 (OP didn't tell).

evtilsley
08-06-2015, 19:39
For the sake of completeness: hearing audio but seeing no picture could also be the logitech profiler stealing the focus (fixed by starting profiler prior to pCARS).
Of course thatīs only relevant if you have a G25/G27 (OP didn't tell).

Ahhh. Yes... I do indeed have a G27. Will try deleting that file first off and see if that sorts it

evtilsley
10-06-2015, 09:53
So.. un-extended the desktop (disabling the small monitor), ran the Logitech profiler first, deleted that config file, and ran Project Cars.

The projector flashed for 5 seconds. Held my breath. and... VOILA.. picture and sounds way hey!

I'll backup that file up & then have a tinker . force the resolution, fps, sync etc. Thanks guy you're all amazing

evtilsley
19-06-2015, 08:44
Well well, powered up last night & same old no signal. Deleted that file, tried again, no joy. Gutted.
Bit more Googling & found the fix... the re-generated file had set the sync to be around 24Hz for some reason. The projector is 60Hz. So, entered that (some fiddly 5 digit version I found online) and hey presto :)
Had a little play, quit the application on purpose, re-started, all fine.

Next to have a tinker with the settings. Only thing I've changed is turned motion blur on, lowest setting. Honestly, it looks REAL on screen !

evtilsley
19-06-2015, 08:45
Oh.. had another little play.. 'til 03:00 . So tired this morning at work...

evtilsley
20-07-2015, 08:47
Upgraded to a GTX970 & moved sliders to Ultra. Been fiddling with the various AA settings (why so many???!!) and now it's simply stunning

John Hargreaves
20-07-2015, 10:02
It‘s a deadly combination when you get a bit of spare time to start tinkering and a game like pCars - it always ends up with a trip to the graphics card shop or the monitor shop. Sounds like a great setup.

evtilsley
20-07-2015, 10:40
Was just a little session... 18:00 > 02:15 last 'night' . !!
By the time I finished dont think my eyes were working in HD any more.
Have to see, cant see a HUGE difference between medium settings & ultra whilst game playing at least.. too busy driving. Atmospheric effects are better though.. sunlight rays through trees. Was already dead impressed with my older GTX470 with medium.
Chose to turn off some of the lens flare.. that's a camera effect & real life isnt like that. Is great however that we can pick & choose.. but yes massively time consuming.