PDA

View Full Version : PSD To DDS

SinCitySimRacing
07-06-2015, 15:46
I searched this but didn't find anything so her go's
I painted a custom livery using Photoshop 6. I want to put it into the game to check my work. Problem is Photoshop doesn't have or I can't find a way to save the PSD file to a DDS file. I have tried flattening the image but no luck. Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks

Espen S. Andresen
07-06-2015, 18:11
I searched this but didn't find anything so her go's
I painted a custom livery using Photoshop 6. I want to put it into the game to check my work. Problem is Photoshop doesn't have or I can't find a way to save the PSD file to a DDS file. I have tried flattening the image but no luck. Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks

You need to download and install this plugin (https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop) from Nvidia to do that.

I would also advise you to read the custom livery FAQ (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21857-Vehicle-custom-liveries-How-to-FAQ). This was originally put together by Jan Frischkorn, the Vehicle Art Manager of SMS.

Good luck!

SinCitySimRacing
08-06-2015, 01:05
Thanks for the links Espen I already have the plugin haven't figured out how to get it working. I ran the exe and installed it to my photoshop 6 folder but it doesn't see it for some reason I'm still working on it though.

Ryzza5
08-06-2015, 05:28
Did you run as administrator and all that jazz?

Espen S. Andresen
08-06-2015, 08:02
Thanks for the links Espen I already have the plugin haven't figured out how to get it working. I ran the exe and installed it to my photoshop 6 folder but it doesn't see it for some reason I'm still working on it though.

Allright, just thought I'd check. Are you sure you've installed the plugin in the correct folder? I'm using Photoshop CC, and my plugin didn't install in the "Photoshop CC 2014" folder, it made a new "Photoshop CC (64-bit)" folder and installed it in the plugin folder there instead.
The plugin file name says 64-bit though, so I just copied the file over into the correct plugin folder, and it worked.

[PSR]Painkiller
08-06-2015, 08:02
Make sure you install the right version of your photoshop x32 or x64bits

SinCitySimRacing
08-06-2015, 13:09
I got it and that was one of my problems Painkiller my version of PS is quite old so I needed the 32bit file. I had a trial version of cc so it installed it to that folder and i just copy and pasted it into the correct one and wa la!
Thanks everyone for all your help.

Scuderia Paul
02-07-2015, 20:47
I downloaded the Nvidia plug-in and installed it in the correct folder. When I [Save As] and select DDS from the list and save it, it saves as a generic windows image icon but of size 0 bytes. Only once did I get the window with MIP options and I have repeatedly deleted the file and attempted to save again.

Any idea what is going on? Should I delete the plug-in altogether and have another shot?

I appreciate any help.

Fab87
17-07-2015, 22:02
http://www.easy2convert.com/downloads.html

works great for me. 7th from top.

-Jimbo-
27-12-2016, 23:24
Another way instead of using the plugin is to flatten & resize & save as a .png & then open it with a program called DXTBmp & save it as a .dds file.

John Hargreaves
28-12-2016, 20:02
From what I remember the last time I did any liveries, it sometimes crashes when you save the photoshop layered file directly to DDS, so if you save it as a TIFF, then convert the TIFF to DDS it worked ok.

Alan Dallas
12-02-2017, 21:19
From what I remember the last time I did any liveries, it sometimes crashes when you save the photoshop layered file directly to DDS, so if you save it as a TIFF, then convert the TIFF to DDS it worked ok.

My long time used way of saving a DDS directly from a PSD.

1.) Ensure no transparent areas are showing with the layers you want saved.
2.) Save your PSD then Flatten the image.
3.) Save to the correct DDS format.
4.) Undo the Flattening.
The newest version of the PS DDS plugin for awhile now supposedly Flattens the layers in the background before rendering the DDS file. But I still Flatten the layers manually first.
The most common PS crash with the DDS plugin is due to transparent textures in the PSD. Even 1 single transparent Pixel can cause the Plugin to crash sometimes.

Final Zodiac
31-07-2019, 19:10
a program called GIMP works well