PDA

View Full Version : SEVERE Stuttering upon launching game

Oxide777
07-06-2015, 15:57
Hello,

I've just installed the game on Steam

When I launch the game it severely stutters i.e. my screen flashes black then a minute later it appears the intro and credits begin frame by frame inbetween each black screen stutter.

I have an i5 4Ghz, 12Gb RAM, with a Geforce 560ti, all drivers updated, disabled any AV or overlay software but no help. All other games I play have no problem.

Is there anything else I can do please? I've searched but I can't find any post with the same issue :(

Oxide777
07-06-2015, 16:52
Ok nvm, fixed it by renaming graphicsconfigdx11 -- SPOKE TOO SOON, after alt tabbing back to desktop it's flashing constantly again and renaming the file doesn't work again

Pr3t3nd3r
07-06-2015, 17:51
Hi and welcome Oxide777!

Did you try verifying files through steam integrity check?

You do that by right clicking on the game in your library than select Properties and you can find verify integrity of game cache under the tab local files :)

Oxide777
07-06-2015, 18:10
Yes I have and everything validates ok

It's strange as when I deleted that file the first time it started up perfectly and I was within the options menu, alt tabbed to check a setting in web browser, then going back to game its started to flicker again. Now anything I do I can't get it to work again.

So I know it works but can't get it to stop constantly flicking between black screen

Sankyo
07-06-2015, 18:23
So clearly the game doesn't like alt-tabbing on your system. It was a generic issue some time ago during development, not sure if that got totally fixed though.

Steve Dean
07-06-2015, 18:25
have you tried opening the dx11 xml and setting the values lower could be the graphic settings in the xml are too high for your GPU by default
best ones i would say to change are setting resolution and changint AA settings to 0

Also try not to alt + tab as this can cause issues with some games anyway

Oxide777
07-06-2015, 19:23
Nope nothing is working now, unfortunately I'm going to have to refund via steam as it says I've played for 30 minutes but I haven't even had a chance to

It's weird as I have 33 current games all working ok except this one.

Roger Prynne
07-06-2015, 19:30
Give it a chance mate... lots of people here can help you getting it running.

Oxide777
07-06-2015, 21:25
I don't know what else to do. Any more suggestions please?

Roger Prynne
07-06-2015, 21:39
What else have you got running in the background?

I think it shows if you deleted the graphicsconfigdx11.xml and it worked then it has to be something to do with the graphics side of things.

Just as an experiment (and I've never done this before) try my graphicsconfigdx11.xml and see what happens.

Mad Al
07-06-2015, 22:52
And try windowed mode....

Oxide777
08-06-2015, 07:41
Thanks guys, I'll try the suggestions after work tonight.

Running this on Windows 7 64bit

Sankyo
08-06-2015, 07:44
To be sure: the game runs fine without alt-tabbing?

Jack Spade
08-06-2015, 08:03

Since I pause the game before alt-tabbing I canīt recall any issues though using this feature very much.

Oxide777
08-06-2015, 08:06

No I can't get it to work again since the first time I got in and was playing with the options before I alt tabbed then.

Now it's back to the same thing that upon launch the screen constantly flicks between intro credits frame 1, then blank screen, then intro credits frame 2 etc

It's really bizarre that it worked perfectly the first time I deleted the dx11 file but now subsequent attempts don't

Sankyo
08-06-2015, 08:24
No I can't get it to work again since the first time I got in and was playing with the options before I alt tabbed then.

Now it's back to the same thing that upon launch the screen constantly flicks between intro credits frame 1, then blank screen, then intro credits frame 2 etc

It's really bizarre that it worked perfectly the first time I deleted the dx11 file but now subsequent attempts don't
Could you do a file cache integrity check in Steam? Maybe something got corrupted. Perhaps a profile delete (or just move it somewhere else, if it doesn't help, move it back) is also worth trying.

Oxide777
08-06-2015, 08:34
I did an integrity check and it validated ok. I also deleted it from steam and redownloaded it but still issue persists

Does the game properly support an Nvidia 560 Ti?

As I've said before, I have loads of other current games and they all work ok, this is really baffling

Sankyo
08-06-2015, 09:03
I did an integrity check and it validated ok. I also deleted it from steam and redownloaded it but still issue persists

Does the game properly support an Nvidia 560 Ti?

As I've said before, I have loads of other current games and they all work ok, this is really baffling
Graphics card shouldn't be an issue. What driver version do you run? It has happened often that older-gen cards actually run best on an older driver version, not the latest one.

Roger Prynne
08-06-2015, 09:26
I don't get any probs with the latest drivers myself on my old card, but it's worth a try to use older drivers.

Oxide777
08-06-2015, 17:21
OK guys it appears to work ok in windowed mode only - that's weird, why would that be?

ex_
08-06-2015, 18:55
re: alt+tabbing, I must have at least one program open behind pCARS in order for the game to allow an alt+tab. If you don't have something else up to switch to, do a ctrl+alt+del to get task manager, then open something like a profiler etc.

but still, the game will often open and look like it is stuck at the SMS/WMD screen, but if you alt+tab a few times, it will eventually show you that the demo movie had been running all along.

Hope that helps