PDA

View Full Version : 1 month and still no dedicated servers ?

titanic tony
07-06-2015, 18:03
I don't think it is going to happen, if it is why so long its a separate issue from the game it self
anyone no what's going on with it

TheReaper GT
07-06-2015, 18:15
There was a promise of dedicated servers?

MULTIVITZ
07-06-2015, 18:27
News to me!?

jonnotheone
10-06-2015, 13:19
Dude p,cars runs on peer to peer no dedicated servers are used p2p is it the host is the server so if your host has crap internet the lobby will becrap.

INoTroN
10-06-2015, 13:25
Stop with that dude the dedicated server never happend in pcars.

secmast
10-06-2015, 13:25
Dude p,cars runs on peer to peer no dedicated servers are used p2p is it the host is the server so if your host has crap internet the lobby will becrap.

P2P is starting when you are leaving the lobby, but you need servers to get people connecting to each other.
At least this is how I understand it...

skijumptoes
10-06-2015, 14:00
Microsoft always said that multiple virtual servers would be able for all games, they boasted figures backing this up with their immense infrastructure.

So, what's the deal? Is it in fact something developers have pay for outside of the licensing fee?!

Apoc112
10-06-2015, 14:45
"available" doesn't mean free. AFAIK any developer who wants to use them is able to, but they cost money. not to mention switching from p2p to dedicated servers is a pretty deep infrastructure change; unlikely to happen in a month regardless of whether SMS actually wanted to.

Umer Ahmad
10-06-2015, 15:00
Not sure how it works on XBOX/MSFT land but definitely on PC-side we have already tested dedicated servers.

But I think you're talking about strictly like on a server farm somewhere operated by MSFT correct?

How does Forza do it?

skijumptoes
10-06-2015, 20:19
Yeah microsoft quoting some ridiculous figures and i got the impression they were making dedicated servers (That host the game) available for xbox live users because of the live subscription cost, i.e. not at a cost to developers, but as part of the live/xbox compute infrastructure. That these servers existed and would automatically be load distributed to each game intelligently as demand changed for them.

Here's an example of the spew before xboxone launch:-
http://news.xbox.com/2013/10/xbox-one-cloud

There were keynotes likening the xbox live service to a galaxy, it was that immense... supposedly.

300,000 dedicated servers was the figures being quoted, to developers of any size, the xbone system was sold as an online gamers dream, with no more p2p necessities, no more NAT issues... etc.

I personally stuck with microsoft and the xbox platform because of these figures and facts that they were pushing out, as it is, well.. Egg on their face i would suggest.

Froggystomper
11-06-2015, 05:24
I don't know the ins and outs but one thing is for sure, when the MS servers are used then online performance is tremendous. Titanfall plays unbelievably well online as does (to a slightly lesser extent) Horizon 2.