PDA

View Full Version : Project Cars restarts PC! Cant play for more than 10 minutes :(

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 09:04
(please note I have also posted this over at Nvidia forums)

I know quite a lot of people have had issues with the last couple of Nvidia driver releases, however my issue seems a little different, I have tried searching the forums for a solutions, as well as having a play around with settings but I am out of ideas! I am hoping some smart soul might be able to kindly offer advice please!

I have a custom built OC water cooled Cyberpower PC, Windows 7. i7 4770k, 16 GIG of RAM, 250gb SSD, 1TB SATA, GeForce Point of View 780 GTX. 144hz 24inch Benq monitor. Razer Blackwidow/Deathadder.

I have had the PC for just over year and I have had zero issues with it (and it gets 4-5 hours of gaming a day, more at weekends) every game running flawlessly on max settings, in fact it’s the best most stable PC I have ever owned, as with all the computers I have owned I always keep the display drivers fully up to date and windows update.

Recently however I purchased GTA 5 for the PC, ran it for about 40 minutes no issues but spotted there was an Nvidia Game Ready driver release. After downloading this GTA crashed (after 20 minutes or so) and the whole PC rebooted with no warning or error message just hard reboot and I put it down to a one off error. Didn’t think much of it but the game would randomly do this after 10 minutes to 75 minutes. Wasn’t too annoying as I could still get in a fair bit of time playing. I don’t know if GTA would have crashed pre-Nvidia driver update or not.

I then purchased Project Cars which started doing the exact same thing…. Very frustrating!. I could get in about an hour of gaming though. I then downloaded the WItcher 3 drivers hoping they would iron out the “bug” but then both GTA and Project Cars would crash every 10 minutes so it having made the situation worse. I tried rolling the drivers back (to pre GTA Game ready driver) and this seemed to fix the problem, but when the latest Nnidia release came out I downloaded this diver and the issue came back and now its doesn’t matter what driver I use both GTA and Project Cars crash (hard PC reset) within 10-15 minutes.

Now my first thought was maybe overheating, both games are highly demanding but all my temperatures are 30-50 (depending on load) degrees for the GPU and CPU and the PC is spotless inside and being water-cooled I can’t see this being the issue.

It has to be something driver related because I can (and do) run CS GO for 7+ hours solid on a weekend with no issues, I have also tested ARMA 3 on ultra-graphics for 2-3+ hours, Dark Souls 2 on max graphics for 2-3+ hours as well as all the other games on my steam list! It is literally just GTA 5 and Project Cars that reboots my PC (although I have a feeling if I was to buy The Witcher 3 it would do the same thing….)

I have the settings for GTA 5 and Project Cars on high/max and playing at 144hz. I have no performance issues at all, no slow down just before crash and no graphical artefacts’. Nothing seems to trigger the crash either it just seems to happen at random.

I have tried running without Geforce experience installed (as I have seen some mention of this) as well as disabling the Nvidia Audio drivers, neither have made a difference.

I have also updated my Realtek HD Audio Drivers in case this was an issue but this didn’t fix it either.

Windows Event Log simple records “kernel-power” as reason for failure with the message that the PC lost power. Automatic restarts are turned off (but the PC still restarts – so it must be quite a major fail)

So to cut a long story short.

A) All of my 174 steam games work perfectly
B) GTA 5 and Project Cars cause my PC to reboot after 5-15 minutes.

The last thing I am going to test is running both at the lowest possible graphic settings and gradually scale up the settings. Given how new both the games are and their graphical intensity it must be nvidia driver related and I am wondering if there is some setting that it doesn’t like but I have really tried everything! If other games were doing the same thing I would think it was maybe a hardware fault, faulty PSU or something like that, but I cant see why that would only affect these two games?

Does anyone else have any suggestions I could try?

I have heard talk of overclocked Nvidia cards causing issues but mine has never been adjusted and I cant see that Point of View (the card manufacturer) would have tweaked it like MSI do.

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sankyo
08-06-2015, 09:07
So you didn't try to revert to the previous nVidia driver that you were using?

pCARS appears to be sensitive to OC because of its intense CPU usage, and that doesn't necessarily mean high temperatures. If rolling back to the previous nVidia driver doesn't help, I'd try downclocking your CPU and see if that helps.

MysterG
08-06-2015, 09:08
I pretty sure a couple of WMD members experienced similar things during development and in all cases it was down to a dodgy power supply.
The driver thing could just be a coincidence/red herring??

Siberian Tiger
08-06-2015, 09:09
First thing that Comes to my mind:

Have you done a clean Install of your Graphic Drivers? - Not just overwritten?

This has helped me in a similiar Problem.

2. Do you have any energy Saving Settings active?

3. Power Supply...

Franco Ferrari
08-06-2015, 09:12
Does anyone else have any suggestions I could try?

Yes. Exactly the one thing you said you're going to try only at last.

The last thing I am going to test is running both at the lowest possible graphic settings and gradually scale up the settings.

pCARS is very demanding.

I have exactly the same system as yours, except the graphics card (mine is more powerful).
My CPU is liquid cooled and OC to 4.2ghz and the GPU is factory OC.
I constantly monitor temperatures, and the graphics card always runs above 80°C in pCARS... in fact, I manually set the card fan to 80% fixed with nVidia Inspector before starting the game (just to be safe).

I've never experienced a system restart.
I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that I installed the latest nVidia drivers also.

I'd suggest to keep the temperatures monitored, if you're not already doing so.

EDIT: Also, post your full PC specs. Maybe in the signature, like I do.

Bealdor
08-06-2015, 09:13
GTA 5 and PCARS are one of the most demanding games out there.
The "Kernel Power" event can have multiple reasons:

Faulty/overloaded PSU
Overheating issues
Overclocking done wrong
Wrong installed GPU drivers

My advice:

Recheck your temps for CPU and GPU (I know you posted they're OK, maybe you overlooked a component)
Do a GPU driver reinstall and make sure to tick the "Perform a clean installation" box
If possible try a different PSU (maybe you can borrow one from a friend)

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 09:41
Thank you all for the quick replies - it is much appreciated. I will try to address them all below.

I had initially reverted to previous Nvidia Drivers that I was using which DID fix the problem (I also always tick “clean installation”) however because 2 further drivers were released in quick succession I naturally downloaded and tried these, hoping the problem would be fixed. Reverting to previous drivers now no longer fixes the issue. When installing drivers I have gone into windows add/remove programs and uninstalled there, also clean installation when re-installing as well.

The overheating issue doesn't make sense to me as I can play CS Go indefinitely with no issue, yet if load up project cars it will crash after 10 minutes I can then go straight back into CS go for another 3 hours...... same with Arma 3 or any other game. Surely if the card was overheating the issue would appear in other games? In addition all the temperature readings are pretty low and I have checked them on multiple occasions. I appreciated Project Cars is very demanding but Arma 3 on Ultra settings, Killing Floor 2 and all my other games etc must be pretty demanding as well.

With regards to the PSU, if this was faulty would the issue not have manifested in other games? Funnily enough my GF’s PC had the same issue (random restarts) that did turn out to be faulty PSU but the PC was rebooting in ALL games and at random, the PC was also a lot older.

Thank you for the advice regarding downclocking the CPU, this was actually done by the company who sold me the PC, not sure how easy this is to do but I will investigate. Given GTA 5 also crashes though this might not be the cause (worth investigating though I guess!)

I will check my energy saving settings when I get home – thank you for the suggestion.

Very frustrating as I am desperate to play some Project Cars!

Siberian Tiger
08-06-2015, 09:43
With regards to the PSU, if this was faulty would the issue not have manifested in other games? Funnily enough my GF’s PC had the same issue (random restarts) that did turn out to be faulty PSU but the PC was rebooting in ALL games and at random, the PC was also a lot older.

It could well be ;) With pCars and GTA 5 you will have a very High GPU Load which is directly related to the needed Current. If your PSU can't deliver enough Current then the PC will do a Restart...

Morgan Henstridge
08-06-2015, 09:47
I have had to bump up the voltage to my 780ti OC for GTA5 and Project CARS for rock solid stability.

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 09:58
It could well be ;) With pCars and GTA 5 you will have a very High GPU Load which is directly related to the needed Current. If your PSU can't deliver enough Current then the PC will do a Restart...

Hmm interesting, I didn't know that actually, assumed the issue would appear in all programs. The PSU that came with my PC is a Corsair 600 Watts CX600 Gaming power Supply, which seems quite low wattage to me but I would like to hope Cyberpowersystem knew what they were doing.

Would setting all of my game settings to the very lowest setting potentially help? Or would the current demands still be the same?

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 10:17
Hmm interesting, I didn't know that actually, assumed the issue would appear in all programs. The PSU that came with my PC is a Corsair 600 Watts CX600 Gaming power Supply, which seems quite low wattage to me but I would like to hope Cyberpowersystem knew what they were doing.

Would setting all of my game settings to the very lowest setting potentially help? Or would the current demands still be the same?

Just dug a little further, I get an Anti-Surge message during PC boot up after its been restarted. I had assumed this was a generic motherboard message caused by the sudden loss of power.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2507977/safe-disable-asus-anti-surge.html

I am going to try disabling it and see if it just being a bit over-protective due to the high demands GTA 5/Project cards puts on the power supply and see what happens lol

MysterG
08-06-2015, 10:23
Just dug a little further, I get an Anti-Surge message during PC boot up after its been restarted. I had assumed this was a generic motherboard message caused by the sudden loss of power.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2507977/safe-disable-asus-anti-surge.html

I am going to try disabling it and see if it just being a bit over-protective due to the high demands GTA 5/Project cards puts on the power supply and see what happens lol

One of the WMD members (actually SMS staff) who was suffering with the same problem, had an Anti Surge message on boot too, ASUS mobo.
His PC would not crash regardless of what he threw at it, Prime etc.. Only pCARS pushed it hard enough.
It happened for him at times of great stress, many particles etc.. when frame rate would drop.
A new PSU solved it for him.

Franco Ferrari
08-06-2015, 10:35
Yup.
A 600W PSU looks a bit on "the limit" for a 4770K + GTX 780 combo. :p
I'm running on a 860W PSU, btw.

Sankyo
08-06-2015, 10:37
Yup.
A 600W PSU looks a bit on "the limit" for a 4770K + GTX 780 combo. :p
I'm running on a 860W PSU, btw.

Depends on the PSU quality. My rig running SLI 780s never got above 400-450W total power drawn from the socket when I measured with pCARS running.

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 10:44
One of the WMD members (actually SMS staff) who was suffering with the same problem, had an Anti Surge message on boot too, ASUS mobo.
His PC would not crash regardless of what he threw at it, Prime etc.. Only pCARS pushed it hard enough.
It happened for him at times of great stress, many particles etc.. when frame rate would drop.
A new PSU solved it for him.

Also very interesting! Especially with regards at what else he threw at his PC and it not crashing. Both GTA 5 and Project Cars do look out of this world in terms of graphics, GTA 5 especially so. I am still surprised that Arma 3 on ultra graphics doesn't cause the same problem I guess it is a LOT older though. Part of me wonders if though a combination of new Nvidia Drivers that push my graphics card as well as over protective ASUS anti-surge protection is causing this.

I will try putting PCars on the absolute lowest settings and testing it, gradually ramping up the graphics and see at what point (assuming it doesn't crash after 10 minutes regardless) the PC reboots.

Depending on how I get on there I will try disabling ASUS anti-surge in the BIOS in case that is being over zealous.

If neither of these fix the problem I will have to look into a new PSU. Just seems a bit frustrating to have to buy (and install which is always a bit of a pain) just for the sake of these 2 games when I have zero problems elsewhere.

Thanks again everyone for all your help! has really helped me narrow down the issue.

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 12:09
Also very interesting! Especially with regards at what else he threw at his PC and it not crashing. Both GTA 5 and Project Cars do look out of this world in terms of graphics, GTA 5 especially so. I am still surprised that Arma 3 on ultra graphics doesn't cause the same problem I guess it is a LOT older though. Part of me wonders if though a combination of new Nvidia Drivers that push my graphics card as well as over protective ASUS anti-surge protection is causing this.

I will try putting PCars on the absolute lowest settings and testing it, gradually ramping up the graphics and see at what point (assuming it doesn't crash after 10 minutes regardless) the PC reboots.

Depending on how I get on there I will try disabling ASUS anti-surge in the BIOS in case that is being over zealous.

If neither of these fix the problem I will have to look into a new PSU. Just seems a bit frustrating to have to buy (and install which is always a bit of a pain) just for the sake of these 2 games when I have zero problems elsewhere.

Thanks again everyone for all your help! has really helped me narrow down the issue.

Also from TomsHardware Forums

"The anti-surge feature correctly detects power surges but it detects them at a threshold which is far too low. Furthermore, these surges are a natural consequence of rapid changes in current and voltage levels that are characteristic of many powerful GPUs.

Asus' Anti-Surge protection can be safely turned off if there is an external surge protector connected to the system. "

It does make me wonder if something that Nvidia have changed in their last few driver releases has just made enough of a change for the surge protection to not like it and shut the PC down.

I will let you all know how I get on tonight and if my PC has blown up or not lol

Franco Ferrari
08-06-2015, 12:24
Depends on the PSU quality. My rig running SLI 780s never got above 400-450W total power drawn from the socket when I measured with pCARS running.

Yeah, the accent is really on "quality" here.
Anyway, having been screw'd multiple-times over by faulty PSUs in the (far) past... I always apply the rule "doubling the power requirement won't hurt" when purchasing a new PSU.

Pr3t3nd3r
08-06-2015, 12:32
You can check your PSU values with the Aida64 Extreme Edition. I had problems with my PSU. All was running fine but when I went to play any game on a MP, LAN adapter was crashing. I was figuring for a long time what was wrong until I saw I had that +3.3V at 2.89. I replaced my PSU and all is working fine.

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 19:20
Right, as promised I have tested out disabling ASUS protection! I was very excited about testing this out as it all seemed to fit.

Sadly....

I came home, went into the BIOS, disabled Surge-protection. Loaded up Project Cars, played for 5 minutes then monitor went off. Whole PC froze (fans and things were still running as well as lights) only way to get out of it was to manually reboot (hard reset) the PC.

This time however when I got back into windows it kindly advised that a blue screen event had occurred.

"BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA80111ED4E0

BCP2: FFFFF8800603BAD4

BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A

BCP4: 0000000000000004

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1"

A quick google of blue screen error code 116 brings up a LOT of articles relating to graphics drivers (rather than PSU issues etc)

I have now re-enabled surge protection, gone back into Project Cars, moved every single graphics setting to either off or low but it still crashed after a few minutes and rebooted PC (rather than blue screen again as this time surge-protection was back on)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again! Do genuinely appreciate all the good avice

Charger
08-06-2015, 19:33
Download this http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Download the 350.12, the latest one isn't as good in my opinion.

Remove all traces of Nvidia in the remove programs then reboot into safe mode, hit f8 repeatedly at boot up will allow you to go to safe mode, run DDU while in safe mode and then reboot and install the 350.12 driver using a clean installation and only install the driver and physx using custom install, make sure you tick clean install and then see how it goes.

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 19:40
Thank you!! I will try this now.

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 20:07
Grrr! Used the uninstaller you kindly provided a link for, rebooted in safe mode, installed drivers (actually went for the 347.88) played for 8 minutes, then PC restarted..... Driving me mad now (excuse the pun)

Charger
08-06-2015, 20:15
I think as stated it may be pointing towards PSU not having enough juice for the GPU or voltage drop, download CPUIDHWmonitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Run the game for a couple of minutes before it crashes and have that running in the background, when you have finished take a screen shot of it and post it up, it will show any unstable voltages as in min max threshold we may be able to deduce if it is power drop from there.

Bealdor
08-06-2015, 20:16
Grrr! Used the uninstaller you kindly provided a link for, rebooted in safe mode, installed drivers (actually went for the 347.88) played for 8 minutes, then PC restarted..... Driving me mad now (excuse the pun)

Did you check all your cables and connectors? Maybe one of the power cables is not correctly connected to your GPU.

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 20:22
Did you check all your cables and connectors? Maybe one of the power cables is not correctly connected to your GPU.

I will check but every other game works perfectly (arma 3, dark souls 2, CS:Go, Planetside 2, Eve online etc)

It is just GTA 5 and Project Cars that crash after 5 to 10 minutes. I really don't get it!! I would have thought if lose cable it would also manifest in other games.

I was thinking maybe it was PSU but given that after disabling anti-surge I get a bluescreen error instead I just don't know anymore!

Umer Ahmad
08-06-2015, 20:27
What everyone else said: unstable CPU overclock and too weak power supply. Go to the shop now and buy at least 750w GOLD from a good brand (my corsair in my signature kicking ass last 2 years)

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 20:38
Is Corsair 600 Watts CX600 a weak PSU though? And why no other games have issue.

I will try de clocking CPU no idea how though lol

Jens Schmitt
08-06-2015, 20:40
Had not the same but steam crashes with Pcars when the system want to syncroisyse the online modus

Charger
08-06-2015, 20:43
Ah, I didn't clock the CPU overclock bit, I had an awful time like yourself with my CPU, I only turned boost off and ran it at it's max clock and I had similar issues to yourself, set your bios to optimised default.

Umer Ahmad
08-06-2015, 20:49
Is Corsair 600 Watts CX600 a weak PSU though? And why no other games have issue.

I will try de clocking CPU no idea how though lol
In BIOS (hold DEL when PC is booting) there is a page that controls the CPU speed.

Proper PSU wattage depends on rest of your components, primarily the GPUs

My #1 advice for PC guys is NEVER be cheap about PSU, it causes many of these kinds of weird stability issues. Anyway you use PSU again and again so it's like the "foundation" for all your PCs

Perfectirony
08-06-2015, 20:58
I didn't think I was being cheap PSU! lol, cyberpowersystems.co.uk are pretty high end gaming machines, PC wasn't cheap, and being a Corsair PSU figured it was OK. I will take a look at BIOS, appreciate it controls speed, but what speed to set to :) :)

Charger
08-06-2015, 21:13
What everyone else said: unstable CPU overclock and too weak power supply. Go to the shop now and buy at least 750w GOLD from a good brand (my corsair in my signature kicking ass last 2 years)

Not all gold PSU's are good PSU's but yours is, bronze is sufficient and Seasonic who rebrand for a lot of PSU sellers are one of the best, the TX range are mostly bronze in the Corsair range, stick with Corsair and try and get a 850TXV2, highly rated, your CX600 isn't bad as such but it is more budget build, with a 780 I would be running a 750 plus.

Here is a good list for anyone needing a PSU anything with a 9 plus score is probably a Tier 1 PSU, http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

Umer Ahmad
Set to the lowest speed possible, i forget what it is for i7. But honestly it sounds more like inadequate PSU. Not calling you cheap, definitely you spent good money. "Cheap" meaning under-sized relative to your power requirements, yes Corsair is good brand. Mine runnig very stable for 2 years.

Zeratul
Sounds like a PSU problem to me, I've had a BSoD due to a loss of power to the CPU because my 2 780's where drawing to much power for my 850W PSU. Upgraded to a Cooler Master V1000 now. Keep in mind that a GTX 780 draws 300+ Watts at full load.
My CPU runs at 4.2GHz and my 780's at 1200MHz core/ 6.2GHz memory, so yeah it's pretty high on the overclock for a stock (gasp) air cooled system.

mdm
09-06-2015, 01:53
Several things come to mind. Make sure power connector from power supply to board is secure and not pulling away from board. Check power supply connectors to video card. Last chance, unhook water cooler fan and run stock fan to see if that keeps your game or rig from crashing.

Perfectirony
09-06-2015, 08:39
Thanks again all for the responses! As far as I can tell then, something in the last few Nvidia Driver releases has changed the voltages/requested more power from the GPU and thus my PSU and on really modern games GTA 5 and Project Cars (I am assuming Witcher 3 would give me the same issue) is not quite powerful enough and is causing the system to shut down. It sounds like a new PSU should sort this issue (and in all honesty I think I have exhausted all other issues anyway) so I will order one of these up tonight and let you know how I get on! :) Fingers crossed!

The only thing that I am still slightly hesitant about is the fact that it is just GTA/PCars that have this problem, I can litteraly play the rest of my game collection for 20+ hours solid. Strange.

Morgan Henstridge
09-06-2015, 09:56
the newer games will push your hardware more than older games.

And the fact it is 2 of the newest and best looking games giving you trouble, i think you are on the right track.

Perfectirony
09-06-2015, 13:03
Do we think this PSU will do? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020055-UK-RM750-Modular-Supply/dp/B00FG9FTDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433854896&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair+RM750

Bealdor
09-06-2015, 13:15
Seems to be a solid PSU: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM750/

Umer Ahmad
09-06-2015, 13:28
Thanks again all for the responses! As far as I can tell then, something in the last few Nvidia Driver releases has changed the voltages/requested more power from the GPU and thus my PSU and on really modern games GTA 5 and Project Cars (I am assuming Witcher 3 would give me the same issue) is not quite powerful enough and is causing the system to shut down. It sounds like a new PSU should sort this issue (and in all honesty I think I have exhausted all other issues anyway) so I will order one of these up tonight and let you know how I get on! :) Fingers crossed!

The only thing that I am still slightly hesitant about is the fact that it is just GTA/PCars that have this problem, I can litteraly play the rest of my game collection for 20+ hours solid. Strange.
I'm not suprised at all. We (moderators) see this so much these days that pCARS pushes all hardware to the EXTREME limits. On PC we see guys getting BSODs, freezes and reboots due to incorrect capacity/configuration. On consoles guys who never heard their fans running before are now "worried" about their consoles remaining life. I'm confident the new beefier PSU will solve this for you.

321Respawn
09-06-2015, 14:34
As everyone else has said everything points to the PSU either being faulty or being pushed beyond it's limits by these games .
On the plus side if it is the PSU you will have set yourself up with a good psu for future more demanding games .
This is my PSU which has been flawless for a number of years now and I run pcars on max settings http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/be-quiet-straight-power-e9-580w-power-supply-review/

Perfectirony
10-06-2015, 07:56
PSU Ordered up :) Fingers crossed!

Once again thank you for all the response - I have to say you have all been fantastic. I made similar posts on the Nvidia Forums and MS but barely a single reply. You have all been very quick to reply with good advice. Obviously a very good and active community Pcars has! Look forward to racing with you all (assuming PSU fixes things :):))

The PSU should arrive tomorrow so will report back. Cheers

MysterG
10-06-2015, 08:12
I was looking at one of those Corsairs, my old version is just sooooo noisy. Hope it works out for you.

Perfectirony
13-06-2015, 15:15
Well, new PSU arrived, Corsair 750. Bit of a pain to install but setup no issues, checked all connections etc whilst installing.

Ran Project Cars fully optimistic. PC crashed after 10 minutes again......... no restart this time just PC freeze screen goes off, fan making noises need to restart. PC boots up with windows Bluescreen error code on restart 116.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR so annoyed now.

Tested again other games run find for x+ hours no issue.

Any other suggestions? :(

Siberian Tiger
13-06-2015, 15:23
Hmm Bluescreen with 116 points to the GPU...

Can you try to underclock your GPU?

Perfectirony
13-06-2015, 15:31
GPU isn't overclocked or anything as far as I can tell, I thought it was a Point of View 780 (as that's the box that game with the PC) however cyberpower do have a habit of providing incorrect packaging. It says its a Palit 780 on the card. Haven't overclocked it at all, assuming it was OC with factory settings. Have tried completely uninstalling drivers etc

Saloei
13-06-2015, 16:32
You can try removing the board's chipset heat-sink, video card heat-sink, and re-apply some good thermo grease. Its worth the try! I once, many years ago(NVidia chipset), was experiencing stuttering frame-rates when playing demanding games. I ordered a new chipset heat-sink with a fan and it fixed my stuttering. I guess the stock heat-sink wasn't enough for my setup. This is just a suggestion as you've run out of ideas. Also, check Windows event viewer.

Perfectirony
13-06-2015, 17:07
You can try removing the board's chipset heat-sink, video card heat-sink, and re-apply some good thermo grease. Its worth the try! I once, many years ago(NVidia chipset), was experiencing stuttering frame-rates when playing demanding games. I ordered a new chipset heat-sink with a fan and it fixed my stuttering. I guess the stock heat-sink wasn't enough for my setup. This is just a suggestion as you've run out of ideas. Also, check Windows event viewer.

Cheers, sounds quite an extreme solution, especially as all other games working fine. Might be worth a shot, event viewer has a few errors at point of restart
*The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&3.
*The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
*Session "Microsoft Security Client OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D

Perfectirony
13-06-2015, 18:30
Cheers, sounds quite an extreme solution, especially as all other games working fine. Might be worth a shot, event viewer has a few errors at point of restart
*The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&3.
*The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
*Session "Microsoft Security Client OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D

Bluescreen viewer seems to think this might be the problem which as far as I can tell must be driver related dxgkrnl.sys

dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5d134 fffff880`062b9000 fffff880`063ae000 0x000f5000 0x539e411c 16/06/2014 01:58:04
dxgmms1.sys dxgmms1.sys+37f00 fffff880`063ae000 fffff880`063f4000 0x00046000 0x5164dc13 10/04/2013 04:27:15
nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+7aca08 fffff880`05881000 fffff880`062b9000 0x00a38000 0x55259065 08/04/2015 21:32:37

Saloei
13-06-2015, 18:43
Try going back to a restore point before driver install.

Wolkenwolf
13-06-2015, 19:16
something like this is mostly a combination of hardware and software errors. Complicated to find.
You cannot rely on Win messages ;)
2x 8GB ? Take one out, race, try the other one - single.

Charger
13-06-2015, 19:25
Try re-installing DirectX first, the first 2 are DX errors causing the video to crash, if that doesn't help uninstall all Nvidia stuff with DDU and when rebooted let Windows install the driver for you and try that.

Do you have another PCIE slot to try with your GPU because it still could be a power issue on the MOBO causing the video to crash?

Perfectirony
13-06-2015, 19:38
Pissing me off so badly!!! Swear I have tried everything it is JUST these two games (GTA/Project cars) giving me the issues! About 8-16 minutes before lock up and BSOD. Will try the RAM as suggested.
Do wonder about Direct x, cant see that u can repair/uninstall in windows 7 though? If I try re-install it just says its up to date already and doesn't need installing

jasjeet
13-06-2015, 19:42
This seems like a GPU problem, no idea why people suggested PSU, although your PSU is not the best, there are easy ways to test the PSU whilst segregating yourself from potential bugs in software itself (use trustworthy tools).

So if you want to test your PSU, a good way is Prime95 Blend test on 5 or 6 threads, whilst running Unigene Valley benchmark in windowed mode with medium settings and VSync off. That will draw very close to the TDP of the CPU and GPU. If that runs for 30 minutes its not the PSU.

Now whilst you run this test, have HWmonitor open to monitor the CPU and GPU temps. The GPU nor CPU should not be going over 80C.

Also, im not sure if you reset the CPU overclock back to default clocks, but that would be very advisable.

If the above checks out then the next thing i would try is to use MSI Afterburner to either increase the GPU voltage by 10mV or to reduce the GPU Core and Memory Speeds by 50Mhz. You should also enable the MSI AB On Screen Display so you can see the CPU and GPU temperatures in game. And you should really monitor the GPU Clock speed and GPU Core voltage whilst in game too. Its possible that the GPU Boost 1.0 is causing some issues, since PCars is quite stressful, its possible causing the card to run into the TDP limit and thus reduce clocks and voltage to stay within limits. You can try raising the Power limit in MSI AB to 110% to help here. And just to add confusion, adding voltage to the GPU can make this worse as youll more likely hit the Power limit, so best to try that option last.

I didnt see anywhere in the thread that you posted your CPU or GPU temperatures? So use HWmonitor and get those to us after some gaming.

To the user who recommended replacing the thermal paste on the chipset - No
As for replacing the thermal paste on the GPU, well yes, but if the temperatures are not at fault then why bother.... You know, get the info first before suggesting such things.

PS. When a PSU is the problem, there is no BSOD 99% of the time. The PC will just shut off.

Torquemada
13-06-2015, 19:49
Do the basics first. Pull the video card out of its slot and reseat it. Reconnect both power connectors.
Video cards can creep out of their slots, not so common nowadays because of the retention mechanism used. Worth a try.

Charger
13-06-2015, 19:54
I think it is a power issue to the GPU personally, not the PSU as such but the supply from the board causing the GPU to crash the MOBO supplies up to 75w to the GPU through the slot in addition to the connectors, I suggested using HWmonitor before to monitor the supply to the card, try another slot or reseat as said.

Charger
13-06-2015, 20:00
Also download GPU-Z and use the sensors to monitor the card it may show a perfcap for voltage or clock limit.

Perfectirony
13-06-2015, 20:55
I have upgraded PSU now anyway, so definitely not that, although previously when it was crashing on old PSU ASUS anti-surge was kicking in. Now PC just freezes (although ultimately the same BSOD at its heart I think)

I am using HWMonitor and all the temperatures are low, at idle around the 30's across GPU and CPU (motherboard I don't think has a temperature sensor) I do alt tab out in game and under CS:Go and GPU gets up to 40/50ish. In project cars I have been perma alt tabing and temperature runs a little hotter but never above 65.

I have also checked the BIOS as soon as PC reboots/freezes and temperatures again are 30's-40s. My case is VERY well ventilated and water cooled and zero dust. Confident it is not overheating. Especially as I can run ANY of my 174 steam games indefently.
with no crash.

I have tried removing overclock in BIOS as well as 3 different pre-sets were in there as well as the standard settings. PC still crashes.

I do use HWMonitor but because PC crashes how do I tell if voltages are wrong? Does it store a log?

I have now installed thundermaster for my GPU (which looks to be the overclocking device my GPU maker makes) that also confirms low temperatures. I can play around with the voltatge and GPU speeds their so I will test that ASAP.

Ultimately I am at a bit of a loss though

Torquemada
13-06-2015, 21:38
I have upgraded PSU now anyway, so definitely not that, although previously when it was crashing on old PSU ASUS anti-surge was kicking in. Now PC just freezes (although ultimately the same BSOD at its heart I think)

I am using HWMonitor and all the temperatures are low, at idle around the 30's across GPU and CPU (motherboard I don't think has a temperature sensor) I do alt tab out in game and under CS:Go and GPU gets up to 40/50ish. In project cars I have been perma alt tabing and temperature runs a little hotter but never above 65.

I have also checked the BIOS as soon as PC reboots/freezes and temperatures again are 30's-40s. My case is VERY well ventilated and water cooled and zero dust. Confident it is not overheating. Especially as I can run ANY of my 174 steam games indefently.
with no crash.

I have tried removing overclock in BIOS as well as 3 different pre-sets were in there as well as the standard settings. PC still crashes.

I do use HWMonitor but because PC crashes how do I tell if voltages are wrong? Does it store a log?

I have now installed thundermaster for my GPU (which looks to be the overclocking device my GPU maker makes) that also confirms low temperatures. I can play around with the voltatge and GPU speeds their so I will test that ASAP.

Ultimately I am at a bit of a loss though

Try HWiNFO http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php It'll log everything including your shoe size ;) I use the 64bit portable version.

Wolkenwolf
13-06-2015, 21:49
To nail that bugger you have to do it from the ground up.
Set all on default, no OC,
Pull out what you can pull out , like one RAM, USB things etc.
If you can, change the GPU Slot.
Remove every Software which could evtl change the system, like GPU OCing or such things. Remove ALL, and try at best with the naked Windows/GPU driver.

K:I:S:S

Disposable_Hero
13-06-2015, 22:19
Wolkenwolf is right. Test without controller/wheel attached using only keyboard.
Make sure no other software is running in the background that could interfere with the game.
If your PC works with all other games it has to be one of these two (input device or software incompatibility).
Good luck!

Charger
14-06-2015, 01:49
It's not temps you should be looking at, it's voltage.

mdm
14-06-2015, 12:02
Have you tried to run the stock fan on the cpu yet?

Perfectirony
15-06-2015, 12:11
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am away with work this week but will try them all out when back. I had wondered if the issue was Xbox 360 pad was the issue because gta and projects cars are the only two games other than dark souls that I use it with. Had tried the game without it plugged in and still crashed though. I might try fully unisatlling the pad though just to be sure. I will also try uninstalling loads of software to see if there's anything else that upsets it. I will then try taking gpu out, fully uninstalling all drivers and everything even remotely nvdia related then 're slotting you and installing old old drivers. Somehow I don't think either of these the issue though. No idea about voltages I am not an electrician.

1-800-PopeofDope
16-06-2015, 15:31
I was having this same issue. I solved it by blowing the dust out of my GTX 970 and then by updating the computer's chipsets. Once I had done this my game runs fine now. I have even ran a 6 hour race at Le Mans now. Couldn't even think about doing that before. My game was crashing my computer every 10 mins or less just like yours is doing I am running a Intel i7 with a GTX 970. Just like you I was having no problems until project cars. But project cars was running my computer way hotter than typical games would run. My computer would shut down once temps hit around 70 c. My house seems to generate a lot of dust at times (from people smoking, Windy conditions in my area, I live in farm country so a lot of dust in the air. Give it a try and see if any of these ideas help you. Good Luck :) ~ The Pope of Dope

Umer Ahmad
16-06-2015, 15:39
You guys may want to consider frame rate capping. There is no need to run the game at 100+ fps

Use -fpscap # in the STEAM command line options for this game.

This will reduce your GPU/CPU utilization and keep your temps down.

1-800-PopeofDope
16-06-2015, 15:52
Umer Ahmad is right too. I also used Nvidia inspector to limit my frame rates to 60 frames per second. Between those 3 changes my game runs great now.

Perfectirony
22-06-2015, 13:47
Umer Ahmad is right too. I also used Nvidia inspector to limit my frame rates to 60 frames per second. Between those 3 changes my game runs great now.

Oooh... got home from trip keen to solve problems, tried loads more things including driver unininstaller again, .net framework updates, removing card replacing card etc and still crashes.

However capping the FPS I have so far gone 20+ minutes with no crash.

I wonder then if the issue is to do with my 144hz monitor, quick search of google has said GTA 5 has some issues with this as well so will test that in a min

Thanks so much - I will continue to test this but looks like the FPS cap might have fixed things!!!

Perfectirony
23-06-2015, 20:50
Just to confirm, have run project cars solidly for 2 hours one race, no crash. Confirmed - Fixed thanks to Umer for his FPS cap trick. GPU temp averaged 62 degrees (and never exceeded this)

Played GTA 5 for almost an hour no crash either - solution was to switch to 60hz instead of 100hz that I was on.

God knows why uncapped FPS was causing PC to crash because the GPU/CPU were not overheating....

Interesting one, but its fixed now! so very pleased. Thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xx

Saloei
23-06-2015, 22:19
Interesting! I guess when you eat to much and to fast, you choke ;)

cods69
04-07-2016, 05:06
Oooh... got home from trip keen to solve problems, tried loads more things including driver unininstaller again, .net framework updates, removing card replacing card etc and still crashes.

However capping the FPS I have so far gone 20+ minutes with no crash.

I wonder then if the issue is to do with my 144hz monitor, quick search of google has said GTA 5 has some issues with this as well so will test that in a min

Thanks so much - I will continue to test this but looks like the FPS cap might have fixed things!!!

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but felt the need to thank people for these suggestions.
Just bought a 1080 and had complete crash/reboot when running PCars, as soon as a button was clicked in the menu. Every time.
After doing the Steam FR cap (to 60), it now works perfectly.