PDA

View Full Version : Some cars never reach topspeed

Psychomatrix
09-06-2015, 03:47
For example tge lotus 78 goes in default setup only 250 kph. Thats 50 kph away from the real topspeed. That car was never so slow in real maybe with a monaco setup. I try some setting and the car with lowest possible gear ratio and low wings goes never faster than 260 kph. How can that be? Andretti won with a average speed of 210 kph an topspeed of nearly 300kph. There some other cars with the same issues. The straights at monza ar long enough that topspeed must possible. It seems to me that the cars stop at some point to accelerate. when I lowered the gear ratio the car don't go really faster.

madmax2069
09-06-2015, 04:06
Lower the downforce and it will go much faster, as well as reduce the brake vent and radiator vent

Psychomatrix
09-06-2015, 04:08
Lower the downforce and it will go much faster.

I have lowerd the downforce to 0
In combination with some gear ratio changes the car was only 10 kph faster.
If seen on yt that people reach in default setup 242 kph. the f1 at this time go in standard trim easily 270 kph.

Brent G
10-06-2015, 16:29
I imagine hitting that kinda Top speed depends on more than just set up. I would think conditions as in wind speed/direction, temprature, altitude and air density would play a part. I know this game is beutifully realistic but im not sure its modelled to differentiate lets say the air temprature at different times and at different places. I could be wrong though, Ive been wrong plenty times before..........ask my Mrs. ;)

MysterG
10-06-2015, 16:33
I imagine hitting that kinda Top speed depends on more than just set up. I would think conditions as in wind speed/direction, temprature, altitude and air density would play a part. I know this game is beutifully realistic but im not sure its modelled to differentiate lets say the air temprature at different times and at different places. I could be wrong though, Ive been wrong plenty times before..........ask my Mrs. ;)

Air temp, altitude etc.. are all taken into account in the calculations.

flymar
10-06-2015, 16:55
After some pretty obvious changes I managed to get 281 kph... and that was the end of the straight. I'm quite sure it can go faster if someone who knows what he's doing would make a set up:)

Brent G
10-06-2015, 17:23

Yep told ya, Im wrong again. Although pleased to be so in this instance!

Olijke Poffer
10-06-2015, 18:14
After some pretty obvious changes I managed to get 281 kph... and that was the end of the straight. I'm quite sure it can go faster if someone who knows what he's doing would make a set up:)

That is a beautiful picture you've posted..

turbohondaej1
11-06-2015, 02:32
Dong forget if you draft someone you will go faster speed wise to.

Psychomatrix
12-06-2015, 14:10
very nice but when you don't share the settings it's useless for me and don't answered my question. And even 281 km/h is nearly 20 km/h away from the speed that andretti reach at his win in monza 1977. An the straights in monza are not that long like the le mans straight to first chicane.

Brent G
13-06-2015, 08:27

I was trying to say that creating the same conditions that were at play at Monza in 77 when Andretti hit 300kph may not be 100 percent possible to recreate in game. Just in reference to the OP's question regarding Max Speeds.

Psychomatrix
14-06-2015, 10:07
I would say nothing when the car goes 285 or 290 and even in the standard setup for a normal rscetrack the car must go much faster than 242 km/h. Thats an issue for me because project cars will be a sim and is a sim but some details are bit strange. Maybe they have slow down the 78 because he runs in the same class as the 72d. If it so than thats a wrong decision. Because when I drive the 78 im not interested to drive this car against the 72d. The car runs in standard setup on every track 242. So the theory that wind is the reason are false. Btw I never have read that the game features changing wind conditions.

kaa0s
14-06-2015, 10:19
I would say nothing when the car goes 285 or 290 and even in the standard setup for a normal rscetrack the car must go much faster than 242 km/h. Thats an issue for me because project cars will be a sim and is a sim but some details are bit strange. Maybe they have slow down the 78 because he runs in the same class as the 72d. If it so than thats a wrong decision. Because when I drive the 78 im not interested to drive this car against the 72d. The car runs in standard setup on every track 242. So the theory that wind is the reason are false. Btw I never have read that the game features changing wind conditions.

I'm not in the game right now, and can't remember if it was an option in that particular cars setup, but, did you check if it had a Restrictor setting. If it has, crank that up to the max and off you go :D (some default settings have the restrictor in play to make the car more safe I guess).

Psychomatrix
14-06-2015, 10:29
Maybe wind is a feature for Project Cars 2. I think it's not so easy to simulate wind so thats realistic. You must run different setups, break bias must be change a couple of times and fuel consumption and topspeed are affected too. Then you really need an engineer in the backround to reach the limits.

Lukeymonster
14-06-2015, 15:05
I set the gearing to hit the top speed the car will reach on the track in question and then stretch the final gear to allow room for drafting drafting. I don't want to be sitting on the Limiter in top gear on Le Mans for example.

Pervasive
14-06-2015, 17:17
It's often a combination of aero/gearing and tire pressure--- camber / toe can effect top speed as well.

audi r18 ultra settings that hit 205mph 329/330kph
aero 2/4
Springs same
Toe 0 front
Toe -.3 on rear
Camber -1.5 front; 0 rear
Final drive 2.0

If you go through tertre rouge well in 5th lift off tiny bit the full throttle - it hits 330kph on straight befor braking for 1st chicane. I suck at mulsanne corner so I'm not getting that fast by Indianapolis. I lowered tire pressures and soften springs a click or too and it knocked 1-2 mph off top speed. (Currently doing 3:29s at leman but had splits for 26s. )

Hope this helps you in your quest for higher speeds

ForzaCars
14-06-2015, 19:47
It's often a combination of aero/gearing and tire pressure--- camber / toe can effect top speed as well.

audi r18 ultra settings that hit 205mph 329/330kph
aero 2/4
Springs same
Toe 0 front
Toe -.3 on rear
Camber -1.5 front; 0 rear
Final drive 2.0

If you go through tertre rouge well in 5th lift off tiny bit the full throttle - it hits 330kph on straight befor braking for 1st chicane. I suck at mulsanne corner so I'm not getting that fast by Indianapolis. I lowered tire pressures and soften springs a click or too and it knocked 1-2 mph off top speed. (Currently doing 3:29s at leman but had splits for 26s. )

Hope this helps you in your quest for higher speeds

Close off the radiators and brake ducts too (not all the way though) - reduces drag quite substantially.

EDIT: With your camber settings and my aero (0 downforce all around) I'm getting 3:33, but I'm lacking commitment on Tetre Rouge, and bottling it slightly on the Porsche Curves (especially the granny curve and heading into the last left hand bend).

jsyedidia
14-06-2015, 21:27
From the Wikipedia article on the Lotus 78:

"Unfortunately after first tests were done, the low pressure area under the car was found to be too far forward, requiring a very large rear wing to be designed resulting in a lot of drag at high speeds. This was especially noticeable on fast tracks such as Hockenheim and the Österreichring, where the Ferraris and McLarens were much faster than the 78. To compensate, Ford provided development versions of the Ford Cosworth DFV, increasing the car's speed but also sacrificing reliability. Andretti had no fewer than five engine failures in 1977, costing him the world championship to Niki Lauda, even though he had won four races and taken six pole positions to Lauda's three wins. Eventually a smaller wing was designed in time for the Italian Grand Prix (see above picture), which cut the drag factor significantly, and allowed Andretti to take a popular 'home' victory."

That probably doesn't really answer your issue, because looking at pictures from the 1977 season, it looks like (but I am not certain) that the rear wing used on the Project Cars Lotus 78 is the smaller one. I would look to setups to get higher top speed.

Interesting also on this issue is the interview with Mario Andretti here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L8HxKabZoY
Around 4:20, they start talking about the Lotus 78 in the 1977 season and Andretti says:
"But what we were lacking desperately is straight line speed. A lot of people don't realize actually how hard we really had to drive because if we didn't corner 3 tenths quicker than the next guy we'd be passed like a slug."

t0daY
14-06-2015, 21:31
lower the downforce and raise the front ride height, should give you a bit more speed

Psychomatrix
23-06-2015, 16:38
I tried a lot but in my opinion the lotus 78 is to slow. it's a bit frustrating that this car runs in standard setup 20 km/h faster than a formula gulf car. Even with groundeffect it's impossible that the car are this slow. With the audi r18 I never had probs to reach 200 mph in le mans. 260 is a must with normal setup and with low downforce setup must the car reach 280 - 285 km/h in monza. Otherwise it will be impossible to win the race in 77. This car never driven in le mans or nordschleife.