PDA

View Full Version : Second Screen apps / SmartGlass app

browny8099
09-06-2015, 12:47
Hi everyone

Must say I am massively addicted to this game now, Thrustmaster TX with GTE wheel purchased and family packed off for 6 months (joking honestly). Anyway like most I can see I am not the fastest our there, what I would like to be able to see is where I am losing time. The PC users have all these apps available to them for telemetry, does anyone know whether this will be making it's way to Xbox1 via the SmartGlass app?

Apologies if there is already another thread for this, I could not see one but do recall someone asking something similar a couple of weeks ago, albeit that was in a completely different thread.

Also I do appreciate all the hard work being done already with all the patch releases, this is by no way a criticism and I do appreciate there are probably more important things to resolve right now (walk before we run), just would like to know whether this is on your radar (or even sprint list).

Much appreciated

Recently divorced guy :-)

TheLastRezort
09-06-2015, 14:09
I'm pretty sure that the Xbox wouldn't support apps, or they would have to be programmed by the developers.

browny8099
09-06-2015, 14:12
I thought the whole purpose of smart glass though was to support second screen functionality, I agree that 3rd party apps won't work though

Dynomight Motorsports
09-06-2015, 14:15
That's a shame we don't have access to the same information or mappable buttons as the PC guys. I guess I should have saved my $499 USD and put it towards a $2000 USD computer powerful enough to run the game, as my work laptop is not really ideal for racing. Oh and you can't forget to get the 3 screens and driving Rig too. In all honesty I'm very thankful for SMS having the Lug-nuts to put a Racing sim on the Console. So I expect some limitations. But that doesn't mean some things can't be improved upon. Keep up the good work SMS/WMD and know that we on console would love to see a few more interactive interfaces. :cool:

browny8099
09-06-2015, 14:30
Nobody said they weren't thankful, in fact quite the opposite. If you refer to microsoft's original press release of the smartglass though they state how this can be used as a secondary screen which is exactly what these other apps are doing on the PC. If that is the case then I don't see what the price of a PC compared to an XB1 has to do with anything!

ashasha
09-06-2015, 20:40
This is exactly what smartglass was supposed to bring to the gaming environment. The developers have to build the apps and it just doesn't seem to be happening.

I'd love to know if anyone has played a game that really leverages the smartglass technology. I haven't seen one yet.

TheReaper GT
09-06-2015, 23:08
This is exactly what smartglass was supposed to bring to the gaming environment. The developers have to build the apps and it just doesn't seem to be happening.

I'd love to know if anyone has played a game that really leverages the smartglass technology. I haven't seen one yet.

Yeah, in the official xbox forums they have a ton of threads about better SmartGlass use, seems like microsoft do not give the developers enough reasons to do so.

jason
09-06-2015, 23:32
Ps4 is the same :( , I just want it for this game SMS make it happen , be the first racing game to take advantage of this feature please .

DarkStryder360
10-06-2015, 07:16
Forza Horizon 1 had the interactive map, but wasn't really useable on my small iPhone 4 screen!.. But the speedometer on the app would be fantastic. Or at least let a third party build it.

TheReaper GT
10-06-2015, 12:16
Forza Horizon 1 had the interactive map, but wasn't really useable on my small iPhone 4 screen!.. But the speedometer on the app would be fantastic. Or at least let a third party build it.

They have an api and there's already a dozen of apps compatible with the pc version. The problem with the consoles lays in the manufacturer restrictions.

Raven403
10-06-2015, 12:20
Yeah, It would be nice to see Micorshaft loosen the reigns a bit and get a nice Telemetry app going on my tablet.

OpticalHercules
10-06-2015, 21:25
I posted something akin to this a week or two ago about the possibility of getting SMS to create an app to work along side the PCars controls, such as giving a UI that we could bind currently non-bindable buttons to that due to the limitations of XBone inputs. I don't know if it is possible to create a live-updating app for this though... Yes Smartglass can be used as an input method for certain things that Microsoft thinks we really care about, but don't (opinion!).

Other games do have apps that can be used alongside the game (Destiny) but only on the account level, not on the in-game level. You can use this for such things as viewing account/character statistics and moving items from one of your three characters' inventories back and forth to the vault/bank, and this can be done while in game. That's still not directly interacting with the xbox and inputs though, only the account information held on Bungie/Destiny's servers, not MS's.

I would LOVE to see something like this as a workaround to the limitation of buttons on those of us with wheels.