PDA

View Full Version : Anti aliasing problem

NIN
09-06-2015, 18:45
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but, no matter what I do, I have terrible AA. Example on this lamp post:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/d9b0/exqax1elthaqvxxzg.jpg

The main problem with this is the track in the distance and the shadows on the track. It is rally fuzzily and hard to watch. Specially if its the track like Azure Coast. Anisotropic filtering is max out, X16. AA with max out settings, DS9X doesn't help. Its not blurry, its just "lack" of anti aliasing. Any idea how to smooth this ?

E30_Hntsvl
09-06-2015, 22:38
I have shadows turned off, use MSAA, V-synch off, FXAA high. I add some sparsegrid 4x, turn V-synch to on, and turn on FXAA in Inspector.

Aldo Zampatti
10-06-2015, 04:22
What's your CPU/GPU NIN?

Can you please try DS4x AND FXAA=Medium? (I normally drive with that and looks awesome)

NIN
10-06-2015, 12:56
E30_Hntsvl - Thankyou. With some n. inspector settings its better but still bothers me. Its not perfect.

Aldo Zampatti - The problem with FXAA is thet it blur's the texture. Like its better but its not.. textures becomes muddy.

I'm on old PC, 965BE and GTX 660 and it runs game pretty good, but this AA issue is on the game side.

Bealdor
10-06-2015, 13:03
Aldo Zampatti - The problem with FXAA is thet it blur's the texture. Like its better but its not.. textures becomes muddy.

Try SMAA instead. It doesn't blur as much as FXAA (not that I'd notice this when running through La Source at 200kph :rolleyes:).

cheats
10-06-2015, 13:14
i'l try that thanks

Skywingull625
10-06-2015, 17:39
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but, no matter what I do, I have terrible AA. Example on this lamp post:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/d9b0/exqax1elthaqvxxzg.jpg

The main problem with this is the track in the distance and the shadows on the track. It is rally fuzzily and hard to watch. Specially if its the track like Azure Coast. Anisotropic filtering is max out, X16. AA with max out settings, DS9X doesn't help. Its not blurry, its just "lack" of anti aliasing. Any idea how to smooth this ?

I have something similar on my GTX760, and i still can't find a solution ( http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29076-GTX760-graphic-problems-Please-help! )

Do you have this aliasing also on fences and audience stands, for exemple, at Glencairn?

NIN
11-06-2015, 20:48
Yes, aliasing on the fences is the worst. Maybe FXAA and blurry textures is the best option in the end.

Liquid_Drummer
11-06-2015, 21:31
This looks like it could be aliasing generated by lighting or reflection or what might be aliased specular highlights. MSAA does nothing for this. Raw resolution and downsampling is the only way at this point.

macto
11-06-2015, 22:29
I had similar problems with AA, the shimmering was bothering me. I've spent quite a lot of time tinkering and for me, using Nvidia DSR was the answer for me. If you are able to use this, try my settings:

In Nvidia Control panel, 3D settings:

Ambient Occulsion: Off
Anisotropic filtering: 16x
Anti Aliasing - FXAA: Off
Anti Aliasing Gamma Correction: Off
Anti Aliasing Mode: Application Controlled
Anti Aliasing Setting: Application Controlled
Anti Aliasing Transparency: Off
CUDA GPUs: All
DSR Factors: You can select them all but anything over 1.50x for me caused dropped frames, so I have 1.2 & 1.5x
DSR Smoothness: 30%
Maximum pre rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting
Multi Framed Sampled (MFAA): On
Multi display/mixed GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Power management mode: Adaptive
Shader Cache: On
Texture filtering Anisotropic sample: Off
Texture filtering Negative LOD Bias: Clamp
Texture filtering Quality: High Quality
Texture filtering Trileanear optimisation: On
Threaded Optimisation: Auto
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical Sync: Use the 3D application setting
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

In game settings:

Resolution: 2351 x 1323 59hz
Windowed: No
Texture Resolution: High
Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 16x
V-Sync: Yes
Antia Aliasing: MSAA
FXAA: High
SMAA: Off
Reflections: High
Environment Map: High
Car Detail: High
Track Detail: Ultra
Shadow Detail: High
Motion Blur: Off
Render Frames Ahead: 1
Detailed Grass: Off
Particle Level: High
Particle Density: Ultra
Stretched Headlight Reflections: Yes

These work perfect for me, system specs in signature. I get very little AA and the FXAA works very well with the higher resolution. I get a steady 60fps even in heavy rain and traffic, drops down to the low 50's for a second or 2 here and there but I'm very happy with these settings.

NIN
12-06-2015, 13:55
Thank you for your detail post. 4x DSR is the perfect for this issue, but with that 4 times resolution I have between 10-20FPS and with 1.33x, I have under 50FPS and not much of a help. I set some settings in inspector and its better then before. So I will leave it like this.

macto
12-06-2015, 15:17
Thank you for your detail post. 4x DSR is the perfect for this issue, but with that 4 times resolution I have between 10-20FPS and with 1.33x, I have under 50FPS and not much of a help. I set some settings in inspector and its better then before. So I will leave it like this.

If fps is more important to you, you could set the DSR resolution to the minimum (1 up from your native), at least then it will still utilise the 'smoothness' setting getting rid of the shimmer still.

Skywingull625
12-06-2015, 15:43
I had similar problems with AA, the shimmering was bothering me. I've spent quite a lot of time tinkering and for me, using Nvidia DSR was the answer for me. If you are able to use this, try my settings:

In Nvidia Control panel, 3D settings:

Ambient Occulsion: Off
Anisotropic filtering: 16x
Anti Aliasing - FXAA: Off
Anti Aliasing Gamma Correction: Off
Anti Aliasing Mode: Application Controlled
Anti Aliasing Setting: Application Controlled
Anti Aliasing Transparency: Off
CUDA GPUs: All
DSR Factors: You can select them all but anything over 1.50x for me caused dropped frames, so I have 1.2 & 1.5x
DSR Smoothness: 30%
Maximum pre rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting
Multi Framed Sampled (MFAA): On
Multi display/mixed GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Power management mode: Adaptive
Shader Cache: On
Texture filtering Anisotropic sample: Off
Texture filtering Negative LOD Bias: Clamp
Texture filtering Quality: High Quality
Texture filtering Trileanear optimisation: On
Threaded Optimisation: Auto
Triple buffering: Off
Vertical Sync: Use the 3D application setting
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

In game settings:

Resolution: 2351 x 1323 59hz
Windowed: No
Texture Resolution: High
Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 16x
V-Sync: Yes
Antia Aliasing: MSAA
FXAA: High
SMAA: Off
Reflections: High
Environment Map: High
Car Detail: High
Track Detail: Ultra
Shadow Detail: High
Motion Blur: Off
Render Frames Ahead: 1
Detailed Grass: Off
Particle Level: High
Particle Density: Ultra
Stretched Headlight Reflections: Yes

These work perfect for me, system specs in signature. I get very little AA and the FXAA works very well with the higher resolution. I get a steady 60fps even in heavy rain and traffic, drops down to the low 50's for a second or 2 here and there but I'm very happy with these settings.

A strange thing happened to me, in the beginning i tought it worked, and it looked well, but then i don't know why but it started beig worse and worse (about aliasing). May be my card gone mad?

NIN
12-06-2015, 16:16
If fps is more important to you, you could set the DSR resolution to the minimum (1 up from your native), at least then it will still utilise the 'smoothness' setting getting rid of the shimmer still.

If you tnik with 1.20x, its not a big of improvement but it affect's my FPS noticeably. But, like that guy sad, this is probably some lightning issue:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/ed11/7t1u0nscid6kbhbzg.jpg

macto
12-06-2015, 16:23
Hmm, that does look quite noticable.

I don't know about others but I had a lot better results by not overclocking my graphics card as it was getting throttled due to power limits. Not overclocking keeps it at a better average - don't know if this is even relevant to you but thought I might as well mention it.

Aldo Zampatti
12-06-2015, 23:14
Your specs were? GTX660, right?
I wouldn't expect HIGH AA's to work at a decent FPS on your system.

I use DS4x + some FXAA for smoothing, and It looks very nice (never under 60fps with normals around 100fps) all settings 'around' high.

Libor Sabrik
13-06-2015, 05:36
"I wouldn't expect HIGH AA's to work at a decent FPS on your system"

????

thepharcyde
13-06-2015, 07:07
"I wouldn't expect HIGH AA's to work at a decent FPS on your system"

????

Recommended versus actual can be very different.

What results does msaa yield?

dr8g0n
13-06-2015, 08:38
I have the same problem on a gtx 980. Unless I crank DSR with a high smoothing filter I get ugly aliasing. None of the in-game AA options seem to help much. This is fine on a single monitor but with triple displays I don't have the horsepower for much DSR. I find it weird how in most games MSAA 4x + SMAA gives excellent results, but here there are still jaggies everywhere...

Skywingull625
13-06-2015, 08:44
It looks like we are not alone, and we are all running different cards. This is weird..

Skywingull625
13-06-2015, 08:58
[...] None of the in-game AA options seem to help much. [...] I find it weird how in most games MSAA 4x + SMAA gives excellent results, but here there are still jaggies everywhere...

You hit the point. :applouse:

SeeNoWeevil
13-06-2015, 09:15
AA options seem to do very little for me. I have a 980Ti with plenty of grunt to spare but I can't seem to put it to much use cleaning up the shimmering or jagged edges (most noticeable on kerbing).

NIN
13-06-2015, 11:01
Your specs were? GTX660, right?
I wouldn't expect HIGH AA's to work at a decent FPS on your system.

I use DS4x + some FXAA for smoothing, and It looks very nice (never under 60fps with normals around 100fps) all settings 'around' high.

Well yes but I will set low texture settings, shadows, lightning, car details etc.. if I can get normal AA with max AA settings etc. But that's not the case because max AA settings still have bad aliasing and it gets terrible frame rate. So right now is on mid-high settings with some ingame AA stuff and in nvidia inspector.

macto
13-06-2015, 11:04
A bit of software I've just started using is 'Razer Cortex' that's supposed to boost fps. I found it whilst I googled 'stop windows running background apps when gaming'. Reason being, I was in the middle of an endurance race and the fps dropped quite a bit because it was doing a virus scan or something.

Razer Cortex doesn't exactly boost your fps, but it's doing a very good job of preventing it from dipping - it disables all background processes that could cause a performance hit, I recommend it. You can manually do what cortex does yourself but cortex does it for you when launching a game and then puts it back to how it was before when you've done.

Ian Bell
13-06-2015, 11:07
AA options seem to do very little for me. I have a 980Ti with plenty of grunt to spare but I can't seem to put it to much use cleaning up the shimmering or jagged edges (most noticeable on kerbing).

Our engine is fully deferred at the moment. There are certain limitations on the effectiveness of AA that are pretty much impossible to work around with this sort of engine. We have done our very best though.

Not much solace for you but we will be moving to a forward plus combo render later which is the upcoming cool kid on the block.

Skywingull625
13-06-2015, 11:30
Our engine is fully deferred at the moment. There are certain limitations on the effectiveness of AA that are pretty much impossible to work around with this sort of engine. We have done our very best though.

Not much solace for you but we will be moving to a forward plus combo render later which is the upcoming cool kid on the block.

I didn't understand very well, the upcoming thing you are talking about may be a patch or something? I know that's not the priority, and I understand it, but when might this come? Just to get an idea :)

Ian Bell
13-06-2015, 11:31
I didn't understand very well, the upcoming thing you are talking about may be a patch or something? I know that's not the priority, and I understand it, but when might this come? Just to get an idea :)

No sorry, it'll be a complete render re-write. It might be a struggle to get it in for pCARS2 even.

Skywingull625
13-06-2015, 11:43
No sorry, it'll be a complete render re-write. It might be a struggle to get it in for pCARS2 even.

Oh, so it's not worth even hoping for a correction for this game.. I'll keep it as it is

Thank you ;)

Ian Bell
13-06-2015, 11:59
Oh, so it's not worth even hoping for a correction for this game.. I'll keep it as it is

Thank you ;)

We're AA'ing the ass off of everything we can in our deferred render.

NIN
13-06-2015, 12:23

Its nice to here from you guys how this AA stands fore. Nevermind, I was just curious what's wrong with this. Its not disaster. (;

NIN
13-06-2015, 12:38
Sorry for double posting, but here is the best example on this video of bad aliasing that I have if someone didn't understand what I'm talking about (track in the distance and "peripheral stuff" ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIXP6Svbr1Y

But, like I sad, Its not the end f the world.

Ian Bell
13-06-2015, 12:40
Sorry for double posting, but here is the best example on this video of bad aliasing that I have if someone didn't understand what I'm talking about (track in the distance and "peripheral stuff" ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIXP6Svbr1Y

But, like I sad, Its not the end f the world.

That looks more like an anisotropic filtering settings issue.

NIN
13-06-2015, 13:13
Maybe he setts lower AA settings for recording etc. I'm just pointing out that max out AA settings cant remove all of that "flickering". Its not that bad but it is still present.

Aldo Zampatti
13-06-2015, 14:29
Looks Aniso to me too.

check this video out, there's a nice analysis of the AA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdUmhUhSgYk

Skywingull625
13-06-2015, 14:37
I don't know if it's something related to this aliasing issue or not, but i'm experiencing this thing too:

This makes me think again to the lighting issue, also added to my flickering on crepuscular rays and things like that.

Skywingull625
13-06-2015, 14:37
Sorry for the double posting

SeeNoWeevil
13-06-2015, 19:21
Looks Aniso to me too.Can you elaborate? I have 16xAF.

Radical_53
13-06-2015, 21:08
I'm usually running DS6X in conjunction with the in-game FXAA, which results in a very nice and smooth picture in motion.

What I've seen though is that some combinations of graphics driver & game version don't seem to work together as good as others do. The in-game downsampling should also be more efficient than the Nvidia solution, although you'd have to live without the smoothness slider that way.

I always found racing games to be very tough in terms of AA as they have so many "crawling" lines, like street markings, fine car details, fences and everything around the horizon.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/Radical_53/th_2015-05-25_00003_zps4w20cp2p.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Radical_53/media/2015-05-25_00003_zps4w20cp2p.jpg.html) http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/Radical_53/th_2015-05-25_00001_zpsqa2as0yd.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Radical_53/media/2015-05-25_00001_zpsqa2as0yd.jpg.html)

macto
13-06-2015, 23:15
I see a lot of configs with v-sync off, not something I can do on my 42" TV (60hz) so simply having v-sync on hampers my fps.

SeeNoWeevil
14-06-2015, 08:34
I'm usually running DS6X in conjunction with the in-game FXAA, which results in a very nice and smooth picture in motion.

What I've seen though is that some combinations of graphics driver & game version don't seem to work together as good as others do. The in-game downsampling should also be more efficient than the Nvidia solution, although you'd have to live without the smoothness slider that way.

I always found racing games to be very tough in terms of AA as they have so many "crawling" lines, like street markings, fine car details, fences and everything around the horizon.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/Radical_53/th_2015-05-25_00003_zps4w20cp2p.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Radical_53/media/2015-05-25_00003_zps4w20cp2p.jpg.html) http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/Radical_53/th_2015-05-25_00001_zpsqa2as0yd.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Radical_53/media/2015-05-25_00001_zpsqa2as0yd.jpg.html)
The biggest problem I saw was on shadows, particularly tree shadows on the road. DS4X and SMAA seem to go some way to fixing this.

I see a lot of configs with v-sync off, not something I can do on my 42" TV (60hz) so simply having v-sync on hampers my fps.
They probably have Adaptive V-Sync set in Nvidia control panel.

macto
14-06-2015, 10:50
Yeah probably, I've tried it in Nvidia control panel but don't get as good results.