PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on my amd gpu rig please to see if looking at it correctly.

Smegsterman
10-06-2015, 11:31
Been looking for ways to improve frame rate, consistency and graphic settings.

Ideally would like new gpu but funds are not there at the minute so what I have is what I'm staying with for time being.

currently get in clear weather average of 70-98fps without vsync enabled. Wet weather goes down to 45-65 so hence don't want to up settings which will murder my wet weather running.
shadows on low, reflections on low, grass off. fxaa on medium. Car detail, textures etc on high.

I have an i7 2600k which I know is still a top chip albeit uses more power than newer chips and this is currently set to 4.2 as modest overclock and doesn't seem to be breaking into sweat temp wise 53c under load and usage doesn't seem to go above 70%

I have tri crossfire setup - 6870x2 and single 6870 both have 1 gig for each gpu and generally works fine or at least as best as cf does at times.
Realise amd drivers are bit poop which is fine as have game running ok. Running at 1080p btw which I know is overkill for crossfire but now old cards and single one cheap so couldn't resist ;)

I'm thinking my prohibitive issue is the ram on gpu as doesn't seem to go above 70% usage too but wondering if anybody can clarify if i'm right or not. Does the game or is it drivers which allocate to gpu ram?

Any suggestions other than win 10 (which will be upgrading to in july) to help maybe stabilise or improve things a touch?

Ripgroove
10-06-2015, 13:44
Maybe you need a GPU with more VRAM, I know you have multiple GPU's right now but as you will know it still only counts as 1GB of VRAM.

Mulder89
10-06-2015, 15:38
Crossfire isn't ideal (especially not tri), when you can get the same performance for roughly the same price with one card. Maybe potentially a bit less, but a lot more reliable.
I'd sell those cards and get one or two more powerful ones. Crossfiring two 2gb 7850/7870s shouldn't cost you more, but should be better. 7850's also tend to have pretty great overclocking capabilities.
Edit: use the -skipcrowds launch command if you haven't already to get a noticeable fps increase!

doctharock
10-06-2015, 15:43
Turn off shadows completely. Change AA to msaa and turn off fxaa and smaa. I got a huge fps jump when I did that.

Smegsterman
10-06-2015, 22:28
Thanks will try the skipcrowds and changing aa settings.
Intend to get new gpu when I can afford it but too much other boring non gaming things like kids and holidays get in way :)