PDA

View Full Version : Telemetry

pyates
10-06-2015, 12:52
Hello! Let me start by saying that I'm loving the game so far! Getting plenty of use on my TX wheel :)

I know this may have been mentioned before but I couldn't find a specific answer on it anywhere. Is there going to be a way to review telemetry on consoles? I have seen there are lots of 3rd party apps for the PC version for reviewing telemetry, I understand this kind of stuff isn't possible on the console versions of the game.

I know there is a telemetry HUD view but this is pretty useless when blasting round a track in a formula A car. Is there a way/is there going to be a way in future to review telemetry of previous laps? Preferably in the pits when adjusting setup? There are a ton of setup options which is great but without the necessary telemetry its a guessing game as to whether the changes are having a positive/negative impact on the car. Obviously grip levels and lap times can be used to give a rough indication but would be great to adjust things based on what's happening to the brakes/tyres etc.

ao1977
10-06-2015, 13:09
Oh yes, please! So much yes, please!

I think I remember this feature from Grand Prix 2 back in the days, so I was a bit disappointed when I learned pCARS doen't sport such a significant feature.

(Will add cat content if needed.)

Raven403
10-06-2015, 13:10
It would be really nice to get the Telem. info you can get with the apps on PC on console, but Im not sure how easy it is to do..... I hope some kind of Smartglass app could work too

pyates
10-06-2015, 13:12
Oh god don't get me started. The Microprose Grand Prix games were without doubt the best games for doing car setup. The telemetry was so extensive you could see the changes your setup had on all the graphs in the garage. If we could get anywhere near that in pCars I would be chuffed!

ao1977
10-06-2015, 13:23
It would be really nice to get the Telem. info you can get with the apps on PC on console, but Im not sure how easy it is to do..... I hope some kind of Smartglass app could work too

As for me, I'd file that under "nice to have", but I'd prefer ingame (or in-garage, to be precise) telemetry readouts in the first place. Quite surprising to me that a game with that much and precise tuning options does not offer this.

(Will add "game broken" and several exclamation marks if needed.)

Don Ente
10-06-2015, 13:24
Put on your virtual flak jackets when requesting telemetry features. There is a very loud contingent of players who believe telemetry is ONLY used for cheating, and if you can't figure out how to go fast without it, you should quit trying.

- Don

Raven403
10-06-2015, 13:33
Put on your virtual flak jackets when requesting telemetry features. There is a very loud contingent of players who believe telemetry is ONLY used for cheating, and if you can't figure out how to go fast without it, you should quit trying.

- Don

Racing teams IRL use telemetry to tune their cars, and the Info you get on the Apps on PC, Includes Tire wear, per lap fuel usage detailed information we dont get AT ALL on console right now. Not sure how it leads to 'cheating' but if it does so be it, it wont hurt MY experience, and cheaters will cheat regardless......the LBs are full of corner cutters, and the Forza LBs were topped with cheaters too, so not sure how the telemetry leads to cheating? Could you clarify

ao1977
10-06-2015, 13:51
For now I have my wife sitting next to me taking notes of the live telemetry, but either she writes too slow or I drive too fast, so we end up yelling at each other until the neighbour rings the doorbell and asks politely if he can help with damper settings and gear ratios.

Also, she's pregnant and can't handle the g forces too well atm. :miserable:

Please help me save my marriage.

Don Ente
10-06-2015, 13:54
Racing teams IRL use telemetry to tune their cars, and the Info you get on the Apps on PC, Includes Tire wear, per lap fuel usage detailed information we dont get AT ALL on console right now. Not sure how it leads to 'cheating' but if it does so be it, it wont hurt MY experience, and cheaters will cheat regardless......the LBs are full of corner cutters, and the Forza LBs were topped with cheaters too, so not sure how the telemetry leads to cheating? Could you clarify
Apparently, in Forza, people were able to *exactly match* the tuning setups by viewing the telemetry on someone else's replay, and that was considered cheating. They even felt that being able to view telemetry on your own replays was a form of cheating (although I was never able to figure out why).

Many believe that was the reason telemetry was removed from replays in FM5. I think it was simply a design decision. For Forza 5, Turn 10 brought in game designers who had no previous experience with racing games in an effort to build a game that "gamers" would want to play (as opposed to "virtual racers").

Personally, I liked telemetry in replays - for a number of reasons. It helped me figure out what I was doing wrong; it helped me give tips to other players who were relative newbies to racing fundamentals; it helped immensely with a volunteer task I did for Turn 10.

In fact, I was quite surprised when I saw that P-CARS does NOT have a good replay system, including advanced telemetry, since, as you point out, IRL racing teams use it all the time. Maybe the "telemetry is cheating" folks were loud enough during P-CARS development to get it ruled out?

- Don

bubbadabutcher
10-06-2015, 13:57
Imo, it makes sense to have access to any of one's own telemetry, just as many or most? racing teams do these days. I was thinking that it could work well with the replay system, rather than the ghosts, so that a player would have the info available to him or herself when ever a replay was saved.

It makes less sense to have access to others' telemetry data, just look at the shenanigans that sometimes come to light in f1 regarding other teams' technical documents.

ao1977
10-06-2015, 13:59
As for me, I don't even need telemetry in replays.
I want this in my garage:
http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/155234/f1-telemetry-china-inline.jpg

pyates
10-06-2015, 14:19
That is what I'm talking about. I don't want public telemetry in replays. I want proper graphs that real racing teams use to show how the car is performing. Revs, suspension travel, ride height, type temperatures, wheel spin, fuel usage etc etc.

The current implementation in a HUD display is nonsense and pretty much useless.

Max Kelly
10-06-2015, 14:21
As for me, I don't even need telemetry in replays.
I want this in my garage:

in replay it is even better

Schnizz58
10-06-2015, 14:37
There is a very loud contingent of players who believe telemetry is ONLY used for cheating, and if you can't figure out how to go fast without it, you should quit trying.
Those damn Formula One cheaters! :mad:

pyates
10-06-2015, 14:57

- Don

Where do they buy their crack? Must be good stuff because they are talking complete nonsense!

Jerry Buzz
10-06-2015, 15:16
Right now I don't even know what good the replay function is w/o telemetry, except for a screen saver when I go to the bathroom. You can't tell what lap you're on. You can't see a lap time. You really can't see squat.

At the very least, let us see OUR telemetry in replay. Driving is hard enough as it is w/o watching telemetry. That's my engineer's job. He should do something other than tell me to brake late and watch my inside line.

BTW, I love the game. This is just a sore spot for me since Forza 5.

Jerry Buzz
10-06-2015, 15:22

- Don

Ah, yes. The eternal battle between those jedi who use the Force and the number-crunching nerds and their computerreadouts...

Schnizz58
10-06-2015, 15:34
It moved!