PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting T80 wheel for this game for the price. Good or bad?!?

Chappyjoker
10-06-2015, 19:18
Can anyone tell me if getting the T80 for 90 dollars is a good investment for the money for PCARS?!? Let me know either way. Thanks everyone!

BistoKid
10-06-2015, 19:48
Can anyone tell me if getting the T80 for 90 dollars is a good investment for the money for PCARS?!? Let me know either way. Thanks everyone!

If I were you, I would first check T100. This is very reasonably priced over here in the UK but VERY IMPORTANTLY you get Force Feedback. FFB is a must IMO in a game such as this, so much more information is relayed through to your wheel.

djhonda
10-06-2015, 19:49
It's not a good investment. You only loose money on it. It's a good wheel for the money though. Much better experience than using DS4.

BistoKid
10-06-2015, 19:50

If I were you, I would first check T100. This is very reasonably priced over here in the UK but MOST IMPORTANTLY you get Force Feedback. FFB is a must IMO in a game such as this, so much more information is relayed through to your wheel. T80 does not offer FFB so in my mind not worth the money.

Diablo944
10-06-2015, 20:25
As a ballpark statement, the t80 is a huge improvement over a gamepad. In terms of wheel quality, its a bit dire. Personally i see the t100 as a t80 with force feedback. As someone else said here though, the t100 can be found for around the price or just above the t80.

If you do buy a t80, i doubt you would regret it, its a big step up over a pad

HarryHoodlum
10-06-2015, 20:34
I like my T80 still. Hearing everyone's issues with FFB, whether its bugs or having to set up FFB settings for every car, every track sounds like a complete drag. I'm going to wait a few months to see what comes around from Logitech and elsewhere. Paying $400 for a peripheral that works with 3 PS4 games is absolutely bonkers to me. Especially when that $400 wheel comes with the same exact pedals as the $90 model (with metal covers). I'm just not sold on any of the "premium" options right now and the market appears to be so weak that the prices make no sense.

So yes, if you're like me and are not sold on anything in the FFB range, the T80 is perfect.

Pirategenius
10-06-2015, 20:50
Don't bother get the T100 if your on s tight budget. It has FFB and makes for a better experience. The T80 is just a glorified standard controller.

awaite85
10-06-2015, 21:12
I settled for the T80. I like it. Gets the job done. I play 2 hours a day, got good at it pretty quick, way more smooth than a controller.

Chappyjoker
10-06-2015, 21:13
How much and where can you get a T100. A T80 is 90 dollars.

Chappyjoker
10-06-2015, 21:15
I can't spend 300 bucks for a wheel so why I was looking at getting the T80 for 90 dollars.

Pirategenius
10-06-2015, 21:17
T100 is about $110 order from thrustmaster direct, Amazon or other good retailers.

LordDRIFT
10-06-2015, 21:19

I have one that was used for 1 week. $80 shipped.

PHIBALNATION
10-06-2015, 21:45
Got the T80 also, great wheel. Force feedback is overrated in my opinion. Not many wheels simulate force feedback correctly.

Bluntified
10-06-2015, 21:57
Got the T80 also, great wheel. Force feedback is overrated in my opinion. Not many wheels simulate force feedback correctly.

That's an insane assumption.

Helmethead1031
10-06-2015, 22:08
Can someone tell me where to buy a T100 for the price of a T80?!?? In the U.S., T80 is $89 at GameStop. T100 is $149 (if you can find one) at Fry's or from some other Online retailers. I bought the T100 and would love to find one as a gift for my dad.

PHIBALNATION
10-06-2015, 22:11
what's insane is someone paying $399 for force feedback.

Bluntified
10-06-2015, 22:19
what's insane is someone paying $399 for force feedback.

Probably but that's beside the point - what about spending $130? I think that's more than fair for a decent FFB wheel (t100), which is just $30-40 more than what you paid for your t80.

Martini Da Gasalini
10-06-2015, 22:22
Can someone tell me where to buy a T100 for the price of a T80?!?? In the U.S., T80 is $89 at GameStop. T100 is $149 (if you can find one) at Fry's or from some other Online retailers. I bought the T100 and would love to find one as a gift for my dad.

Hey another Peacher! nice :cool:

Slicker_VR
10-06-2015, 22:29

question - how many force feedback wheels have you used (i don't mean one try - i mean used over a period of time?
statement - wheels don't simulate force feedback - software simulates it the wheel merely transmits it to you the driver.
'force feedback is overrated' - no comment

PHIBALNATION
10-06-2015, 22:30
Probably but that's beside the point - what about spending $130? I think that's more than fair for a decent FFB wheel (t100), which is just $30-40 more than what you paid for your t80.True, but I have played with force feedback, it does nothing but let you know the back is losing traction. I now have 2 wheels without force feedback. I can tell when losing traction. Or maybe I want my wheel t vibrate when I go over a rumble strip. No thank you. You buy your feedback wheels, I am happy without it.

PHIBALNATION
10-06-2015, 22:33
question - how many force feedback wheels have you used (i don't mean one try - i mean used over a period of time?
statement - wheels don't simulate force feedback - software simulates it the wheel merely transmits it to you the driver.
'force feedback is overrated' - no commentI used the Driving force GT, and currently have the G27. I drive as good if not better with my T80 and spider as those 2 wheels. You have invested so much money you have got to love it.

Bluntified
10-06-2015, 22:37
True, but I have played with force feedback, it does nothing but let you know the back is losing traction. I now have 2 wheels without force feedback. I can tell when losing traction. Or maybe I want my wheel t vibrate when I go over a rumble strip. No thank you. You buy your feedback wheels, I am happy without it.

I'm not trying to sell you on it, you've made your choice and I respect your decision. However, I had to call you out on your FFB claim - totally false. It does way more than just let you know about your tail kicking out - this is how I know you haven't tried one. There's no shame but you don't make false claims to justify your purchase, it's your own decision. Cheers!

EDIT: t80 better than the G27, the madness!

PHIBALNATION
10-06-2015, 22:39
I'm not trying to sell you on it, you've made your choice and I respect your decision. However, I had to call you out on your FFB claim - totally false. It does way more than just let you know about your tail kicking out - this is how I know you haven't tried one. There's no shame but you don't make false claims to justify your purchase, it's your own decision. Cheers!If you must have pics, I can send pics of my FFB wheels. Why would I compare the 2 if I didn't have both, DUH!

Dasidnii
10-06-2015, 22:40
I have it, and I really enjoy it. I tried looking for a t100 before I got the t80 and I couldn't find it anywhere. It's definitely way better than a normal controler

PHIBALNATION
10-06-2015, 22:44
I have it, and I really enjoy it. I tried looking for a t100 before I got the t80 and I couldn't find it anywhere. It's definitely way better than a normal controlerBut I spent $399 on a force feedback wheel, your not allowed to like it. JK glad your enjoying it.

Nathan-Corsham
10-06-2015, 22:45
I've had my T80 for 3 weeks and it's great. I struggled with the DS4 controller so I had to get a wheel and this one works so well and the pedals too. I had a FFB wheel for my PS3 and that was great but I prefer the T80 as its almost silent, it's got the share button built in and you don't have to plug it in to power it.

PHIBALNATION
10-06-2015, 22:49
I've had my T80 for 3 weeks and it's great. I struggled with the DS4 controller so I had to get a wheel and this one works so well and the pedals too. I had a FFB wheel for my PS3 and that was great but I prefer the T80 as its almost silent, it's got the share button built in and you don't have to plug it in to power it.

207061Damn bro, you hiding from the wife in the attic?

Chappyjoker
10-06-2015, 23:28
Thanks guys. I'm torn now between getting t80 and t100. I have yet to find a t100 close to the price of t80 which is 90 dollars. If someone has a link to get t100 close to that could you include it for me. Thanks. I live in the United States as well.

madmax2069
10-06-2015, 23:32
I can't spend 300 bucks for a wheel so why I was looking at getting the T80 for 90 dollars.

Save up a little and buy a T100, its not too much more then the T80. Ive seen T100 going for $150 USD and under, $150 is the absolute max id pay for a t100.

Helmethead1031
10-06-2015, 23:53

Flowers in the Attic? ;)

Chappyjoker
10-06-2015, 23:59
Ok thanks. I will look around for a t100. If not I will settle with t80 I guess.

girlracerTracey
11-06-2015, 04:31
This review video is by a guy who normally runs a T300. He was "shocked" at how well the T80 performs on Project Cars. Long video "review" but listen to his conclusion from 1:26:00 onwards.

This guy was "down on the T80" before trying it..now he is not. "It works!. I'm shocked!" etc. etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5cVdbGkizc

grT :friendly_wink:

P.S. what am I doing up at this time? I have a VERY early appointment ahead of me this morning..too early!

Diablo944
11-06-2015, 15:41
Surprised you can hear him over the game sounds.

Madhatter1213
11-06-2015, 16:07
I picked up the t80 a week after project cars and i am really happy with it. Make sure you are able to mount the wheel in a comfortable position i use my daughters ikea high chair and sit it a chair and it works great. To get the most out of the wheel calibrate it with the in game menu. I also had to set the brake pedal dead zone to 16 degrees to make the brake fully release when i took my foot off the pedal.

roslinman
11-06-2015, 16:11
If it helps just got myself a T100 and am really enjoying it. Makes the game far more interactive and it is almost like having a new game. I am way slower than my times I had with the DS4 but enjoy the laps I am putting in more. Yeah, its not the best wheel ever but I could never justify 200+ on a T300. For the price its a good wheel that I will get many hours of enjoyment from.

Dreco
11-06-2015, 16:17
If it helps just got myself a T100 and am really enjoying it. Makes the game far more interactive and it is almost like having a new game. I am way slower than my times I had with the DS4 but enjoy the laps I am putting in more. Yeah, its not the best wheel ever but I could never justify 200+ on a T300. For the price its a good wheel that I will get many hours of enjoyment from.

I was reading some reviews on T100:

"I'm 4 seconds quicker compared to pad on most tracks."

You must be doing something wrong?

roslinman
11-06-2015, 16:18
Have been on the wheel for maybe 30mins :p

Dreco
11-06-2015, 16:19

Oh nice:) Practice makes perfect :)

The other T100 guy said:

"I have spent 130 hours on project cars, with t100 and pro stand pro v2 and by far best racing game!! perhaps you like most didn't bother to set up the cars individually in feedback/car settings. and your probably using a pad which I was for 30 hours and first 3 hours it was awful until I spent 5 minutes on each car to set up now its a 10/10 game, online racing I done 80 races and never been bashed about like on drive club which was every race."

HarryHoodlum
11-06-2015, 16:46
I think someone may have mentioned this already, but I've read that people who are serious competitors in racing sims turn their FFB off because it gives you an advantage not having to fight through the bumps or whatever. I can sort of see how that might be the case, though I feel I'm missing something without a little vibration. I wish the DS4 would work simultaneously with the wheel so i could velcro the DS4 to my chair for some ghetto FFB ;)

Nathan-Corsham
11-06-2015, 22:58
Damn bro, you hiding from the wife in the attic?

It's great, it didn't cost much to do. Chipboard floor, end of roll carpet, bit of paint, 50 TV, JBL speakers were free, CAT5 cable and an used Apple TV.
You can hear the birds on the tiles above your head.
Thought I'd post it as driving seats and wheels are awkward to fit in around a family and if you've a loft why not...

PHIBALNATION
12-06-2015, 01:40
It's great, it didn't cost much to do. Chipboard floor, end of roll carpet, bit of paint, 50 TV, JBL speakers were free, CAT5 cable and an used Apple TV.
You can hear the birds on the tiles above your head.
Thought I'd post it as driving seats and wheels are awkward to fit in around a family and if you've a loft why not...That's cool glad your enjoying it.

Gloomy
12-06-2015, 01:53

I was the same way when I got a g27 for dirt 2, I loved the immersion but my times were slower. I was disappointed with my times but eventually got used to using a wheel and my times eventually improved over what I was doing with a controller. It just takes getting used to.

Right now I'm using a ds4 for project cars until the patch for my fanatec comes through, I'm so used to the ds4 now I'm sure my times will suffer for a bit until I get adjusted to using a wheel again.

SpecialForcesST6
12-06-2015, 04:15

I am a long time sim racer....been sim racing for 5 years with Iracing. Im telling you this because I have sim wheels for that service.

I just picked up the Thrustmaster T80 and I'll tell you it is perfect for Project Cars and Drive Club. I had no issues playing with a controller but with the T80 its even better and you will be smoother....ie faster. I have a lot of experience with high end wheels and i'll tell you that this wheel is great. It has no force feedback but has very good tension in the wheel. I personally shut my force feedback off on my high end wheel in IRACING so I may be a bit biased. I'll tell you though, that the fastest sim racers in the world mostly turn OFF their forcefeedback. You can buy the 300 or the 500 but they won't make you any faster than the t80.

To answer your question, run, don't walk and pick this wheel up. Its a great wheel.

SpecialForcesST6
12-06-2015, 04:19

I agree with Philbalnation.....ffb is WAY OVERrated. Fastest sim racers in the world (Iracing) turn OFF their ffb. Also most of the top end sim wheels come with no ffb. Just saying. The T80 is a great wheel.

thegt500
12-06-2015, 06:55
All I can say is, if you ain't bothered about FFB you may as well get one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playstation-Officially-Licensed-Compact-Racing/dp/B00F63QTZQ as it'll give you about the same feel as a T80 ;)
Seriously though, if people are happy with what they've got whether it be a FFB wheel or not, its their choice and no amount of slagging each other off is going to change minds.
Personally, I cannot race without FFB as I find it gives greater immersion and feel for what the car is doing. I have driven for many years IRL and have gotten used to having an actual feel of cars, trucks, vans and tractors. If some people either don't drive or are too young to, I think they aren't missing what they haven't experienced and are more comfortable without FFB ?

daddyboosive
12-06-2015, 07:12
Yeh I heard the fastest guys don't use ffb. Considering iracing is supposed to be a sim. That isn't very realistic is it.

jack1984
12-06-2015, 10:38
I agree with Philbalnation.....ffb is WAY OVERrated. Fastest sim racers in the world (Iracing) turn OFF their ffb. Also most of the top end sim wheels come with no ffb. Just saying. The T80 is a great wheel.

Fast lap times aside, I just want the most realistic racing experience as possible and that surely includes FFB. I want to get the feeling that I am actually driving a car. For me that's more fun and important than setting the fastest lap times. Because by that logic I can use my controller again, since I am faster with it than a steering wheel. ;)