PDA

View Full Version : Calling all YouTubers that record 1080p60fps

Gavin Thomas
11-06-2015, 10:36
I'm attempting to record 1080p at 60fps purchased a nice new SSD to ensure I have the write speed (writes at 400mbps) to accomplish this.
But I seem to have run in to another obstacle, the software/codec.

Up till this point I'd been using Dxtory with the lagarith lossless codec, which was great for 1080p at 30fps but doesn't seem capable of anything above 45fps.
The standard Dxtory Codec manages 50 easy, but still doesn't reach that magic 60.

So I'm curious what software/codec do you run?

Is this the only thing that could be slowing it down? or have I missed something?

Just so you don't go assuming my game isn't running fast enough, during the recording tests it's been only me on track with the game running north of 100fps, it's purely the write speed that won't hit 60fps.

Any tips, or advice would be appreciated here because I'm a little stumped.

bmanic
11-06-2015, 11:59
Have you tried OBS? https://obsproject.com/

It's free and last I checked it's very efficient in how it records. I did however not manage to record any footage from Assetto Corsa with it but I have successfully recorded stuff in Project CARS. It doesn't record completely lossless but if you set it up at maximum quality it is very very near lossless quality. You will NOT see the difference (but it can be a real PITA to edit and for post processing as it is xH264).

UMadBro
11-06-2015, 12:08
Have you tried... uh, FRAPS? I hear some people manage it really well.

Gavin Thomas
11-06-2015, 12:16
Have you tried OBS? https://obsproject.com/

It's free and last I checked it's very efficient in how it records. I did however not manage to record any footage from Assetto Corsa with it but I have successfully recorded stuff in Project CARS. It doesn't record completely lossless but if you set it up at maximum quality it is very very near lossless quality. You will NOT see the difference (but it can be a real PITA to edit and for post processing as it is xH264).

Not tried OBS I do have that installed for streaming, so may give that a go.
Ideally I'd like to stick with DxTory mind and I'm sure with the right codec it'll work like a dream, just need to find it lol.

Have you tried... uh, FRAPS? I hear some people manage it really well.

Haven't tried FRAPS in some time, stopped using it because of it's insane file size and it's limited options.
Probably won't go back to that at any point because I need the audio features I get from things like Dxtory.

UMadBro
11-06-2015, 12:21
Not tried OBS I do have that installed for streaming, so may give that a go.
Ideally I'd like to stick with DxTory mind and I'm sure with the right codec it'll work like a dream, just need to find it lol.

Haven't tried FRAPS in some time, stopped using it because of it's insane file size and it's limited options.
Probably won't go back to that at any point because I need the audio features I get from things like Dxtory.

Ah ok. I know I have another screen recorder but I seem to have deleted it... Boo hoo.

Sankyo
11-06-2015, 12:25
Isn't there an AMD solution to record using the GPU, like nVidia's Shadowplay? All mentioned software tools never gave me stutter-free recordings, but Shadowplay is doing very well most of the time for me.

Gavin Thomas
11-06-2015, 12:36
Isn't there an AMD solution to record using the GPU, like nVidia's Shadowplay? All mentioned software tools never gave me stutter-free recordings, but Shadowplay is doing very well most of the time for me.

There is an AMD version but last time I looked at that it was only possible to record highlights (maximum of 20 minutes at 720p)

Anyone know if that's changed?

MortICi
12-06-2015, 15:04
I use shadowplay....

Roger Prynne
12-06-2015, 15:22
What about Action! (https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html)

centurian
12-06-2015, 17:02
I use shadowplay....
Shadowplay doesn't seem to work for me. Works well in most other games.
How do you get it to work in pCars ?

Gavin Thomas
13-06-2015, 16:17
I use shadowplay....

I'd love to give that a go, but it's nvidia only :(

JDFSSS
14-06-2015, 00:38
I'm attempting to record 1080p at 60fps purchased a nice new SSD to ensure I have the write speed (writes at 400mbps) to accomplish this.
But I seem to have run in to another obstacle, the software/codec.

Up till this point I'd been using Dxtory with the lagarith lossless codec, which was great for 1080p at 30fps but doesn't seem capable of anything above 45fps.
The standard Dxtory Codec manages 50 easy, but still doesn't reach that magic 60.

So I'm curious what software/codec do you run?

Is this the only thing that could be slowing it down? or have I missed something?

Just so you don't go assuming my game isn't running fast enough, during the recording tests it's been only me on track with the game running north of 100fps, it's purely the write speed that won't hit 60fps.

Any tips, or advice would be appreciated here because I'm a little stumped.

This is a bit strange. I also use dxtory to record at 1080p/60fps with lagarith lossless codec and have no issues. I get a solid 60fps with no drops and the recording looks great. My system is i72600k@4.4ghz/gtx770/8gbram and I'm recording to a hard drive with 180mbps. All my settings in dxtory are default, except I find it works best when I lock my in game fps to 60 to match the recording fps.

I've tried recording with OBS, and it doesn't work as well as dxtory for me (more fps loss). Shadowplay seems to be the most effecient program for recording, but I think I get a bit better quality with dxtory.

flymar
14-06-2015, 00:43
Shadowplay-->Handbrake. Video is good but I have some problems with audio.