PDA

View Full Version : Tips for newbie, help, controller to wheel, road to GT4

jjcuff1
11-06-2015, 19:52
I am loving this game. I am hooked on recording and replaying gorgeous replays.
I tried to take my wheel back to Forza5 and felt like rail racer arcadey grip was on a bubble and rubber band tactics

Anyway, I upgraded to 458 spider for the x1. After the patched I did have some better times. Using Mazda as my test track and M1. I had best time of 1.44 with wheel I am ay 1.46 but still missing apexes. Overall in races though wheel is so much more consistent and immersive. I know I can beat the 1.44. I tried the catterham 7 wow what a blast!!!

I think another poster listed his top times I think I got close. I was at 1.59. But the car and wheel was a blast. I went back to the controller after a few weeks, I could not feel as fast any more and was very much all over the road made it harder to race/more crashes but on mazda i did another 1.46. I can but time in to find right controller settings but wheel is so much fun. Here are a few observations and suggestions I am looking for.

1: TX upgrade: i feel in the controller the FFB allows me to push the gas a little more and throw the car around for feel of grip. The spider does not I play it safer and I know it is slower. Is TX that much better over all the spider for experience? The paddle shifters work well but I cant get use to them even in real life I like shifter better how is shifter with TX compared ti paddles?

2: Controller vs spider apex hitting: I notice for some reason that with the controller I do hit the apex with more momentum and pull through harder then the wheel. granted everywhere else wheel is better for me but I think it is 2 reason one is FFB and feeling grip vs playing it safe on spider and 2 is I pull into the apex, brake and with flick of thumb I am full lock and pushing grip limit through turn, 940, so to speak. with spider I rarely push the car more then 10-2 maybe lil more for turns so co,me in softer just feel s weird locking it up but I recently tried it a little more and it seemed to be closer to the controller. What do you gusy do for most turns with wheel is it more then 10-2 over? pushing it hard? am I missing something?

3: Faster Class cars: I am starting to get hang of Clio, small road, gt3 Mercedes, ruf road, C7, all fun and I make fastest laps in races and in career with karts and clio I am getting 1st place at 40-50 experience level. I feel good with that and I am winning by 1-3 seconds. But I tried the gt3 and super 500 catterham atoms etc and OMG different level so much more finesse on pedals into turn, so much power cant just floor it out of a apex mistake I will just spin into wall. Is this normal, LOL, is this game that insanely real that GT3 and open wheel racers are too much for me LMAO, any tips? it is not steering but I do feel I am blowing by apex wide after driving slower cars not braking enough too soon or coming in to hot for short tracks.

4: Auto vs manual: I tried paddles with manual and it was to hard to hit right shift points yet, plus brake apex at right time. I always raced F5 with manual. Wonder if it is paddles I never liked those. In Mazda I am about same speed either way but I do notice, that I exit turns and have way more MPH through the course but always shifting out of turns too much at redline. I tried gear changes but it seems pointless you can not tweak gears. IE: I like to lower 2nd gear in some cars so I can hold longer through turn and upshift into 3rd but the gear changes are not adjustable (well you can make 3rd gear same as 2nd or 4th) seems dumb?

Brent G
12-06-2015, 19:45
Im not sure but I hope the Devs are aware of the gear ratio issue. Im talking about the one where you can only get the same ratio in consecutive gears. (make sense?) The Merc. SLS AMG GT3 is an example of this. Its as if perhaps the sliders are broken so you only get 3 points of adjustment; left, middle & right so you end up matching ratios in 2 consecutive gears.

OpticalHercules
12-06-2015, 19:51
Im not sure but I hope the Devs are aware of the gear ratio issue. Im talking about the one where you can only get the same ratio in consecutive gears. (make sense?) The Merc. SLS AMG GT3 is an example of this. Its as if perhaps the sliders are broken so you only get 3 points of adjustment; left, middle & right so you end up matching ratios in 2 consecutive gears.

According to what posts I've read on this topic, this is functioning correctly. While some cars, such as Formula C, do allow you to make incremental adjustments to individual gears, most cars that appear in this game do not allow such adjustments in real life, and as such, the game does not allow you do it on those cars either.

Brent G
12-06-2015, 20:11
According to what posts I've read on this topic, this is functioning correctly. While some cars, such as Formula C, do allow you to make incremental adjustments to individual gears, most cars that appear in this game do not allow such adjustments in real life, and as such, the game does not allow you do it on those cars either.

A full blown GT3 car dosen't have adjustable gear ratios? When you say real life do you mean a particuar racing series' rules or are you saying these cars cant have different ratio gears fitted into their gearbox casings? If that be the case why not lock it out in tuning settings to avoid confusion. EDIT: It seems GT3 regs dont allow the changing of ratios. Hope the GT3's have got enough for the Mulsanne straight! ;)

OpticalHercules
12-06-2015, 20:51
A full blown GT3 car dosen't have adjustable gear ratios? When you say real life do you mean a particuar racing series' rules or are you saying these cars cant have different ratio gears fitted into their gearbox casings? If that be the case why not lock it out in tuning settings to avoid confusion. EDIT: It seems GT3 regs dont allow the changing of ratios. Hope the GT3's have got enough for the Mulsanne straight! ;)

There are other threads on this issue:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24890-Gear-Ratio-control&highlight=gear+ratio
Look at Bealdor's post, #7 from the OP

&

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30618-No-transmission-option-available-at-some-cars&highlight=gear+ratio

OpticalHercules
12-06-2015, 21:12
Back to the OP's other points:

Let me first say I play with a 458 Spider as well.

1: If the paddles feel that awkward to you, have you tried using the little buttons on the back of the wheel below the shifter paddles? They are the same keybind as the paddles, just a different feel. I can't answer as to the differences with a TX and FFB as I've never experienced those yet. Maybe next year.

2: I routinely turn my wheel well past 10/2, especially on the higher end cars like LMP1 and formula. It takes some practice to learn your range-of-motion. Options for you to try include changing the sensitivity settings on the wheel itself ( hit both shifters, Y, B at once and count the blinks of the white light next to the guide button, there are 4 sensitivity settings, and they will greatly change your wheel's 'feel') Additionally, have you calibrated your wheel in pCARS' settings menu? When doing the 90* wheel turn calibration, you don't necessarily have to turn your wheel to it's 90* DoR. I play with my 90* setting reading 214*, while an other Spider user I know sets his to 240*. Play with this setting to find your personal feel. If you are having stability issues at high speed with such cars, consider lowering your Caster setting under alignment.

3: Yes those cars really do have that much power that they require so much finesse on the pedals. Braking was the toughest for me to learn. Practice, Practice, Practice, and play with your car's settings a little on the side. It doesn't take much to get a wild car much more manageable. Raise or lower brake pressure and balance, fiddle with your camber settings (rear especially on Formula cars), play with different downforce settings and tire pressures. Those few adjustments can really tame nearly any car.

Hope some of this helps :)

jjcuff1
15-06-2015, 11:19
Thanks yes practice for sure. I have not tuned much. The gear issue is frustrating since this really helped me dial my in in forza. I would typically run shorter gears 1-3 so I could accelerate and be on hi rev thru turns and drop the hammer into taller 4-5 with 6 being very tall for occasional long runs this was good all around setup and really helped me use manual shifting. I find in all my cars I am stuck between 2-3 thru turns. 2 is too short and redline mid turn and if I try 3rd into turn it is too tall either way I find it hard to get right gear thtu turns. Auto is same way but at least consistent not as much a speed issue like in forza where if don't use manual you give up a lot of time. Auto in Pc shifts well

I will play some more with manual but I miss the gear shift with a wheel not paddles.

I will play with suspension I have tweaked the camber and toe in and sway bars I stiffen up with good success I have not played with tire pressure yet other then drop a .1-.2 on drive wheels

OpticalHercules
15-06-2015, 22:38
Jumping straight into this game from forza and it's Racing Trans options was a bit of a downer moment, but when you think about it, this is a Sim first/racer second, and the vast majority of cars in this game do not offer such gearing options. So you have to treat these cars just as you would in real life (I assume? Gawd I wish I could even touch a fraction of these cars IRL). It's all about input control, and I bet a FFB wheel/pedal set like the TX would do a much nicer job, but being stuck with the Spider for now I just make the best of it and try hard.