PDA

View Full Version : [Answered - MSAA] white glow artifact with amd gpu ?

icebear
12-06-2015, 06:29
hello

i have a strange effect in the game with an amd gpu (290x)

From time to time, i have some white glows appearing and slowly disapearing...
Whatever car, track, and view i use...
In these exemple, it is a WIP livery but it does the same with a random official livery
It was the same before the 1.4 patch

i have latest driver installed, and it doesn't seems to appears with others games (i have to admit i can't be sure as i didnt play a lot another game than Pcars since i have this card).
But furmark is running just well

any help, advice ? :)

thanks (and sorry for my english)

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/828130Sanstitre1.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/9454452015061200001.jpg

N0body Of The Goat
12-06-2015, 06:35
It is produced by "MSAA" and "High" if I recall correctly, no problem with DS2X anti-aliasing method.

SunBro
12-06-2015, 06:45
I have gtx 750 ti with +200 mhz on core and +400 mhz on memory and i have this exact artifact...but...only a single one appears for a second and then instantly disappears. I've always used msaa or high. Never used ds methods. Will try tonight when i get home. Oh and this happens every track; every time. About once or twice per lap.

and i never get any other artifacts in any other game with this oc... never.

David Slute
12-06-2015, 07:00
I have gtx 750 ti with +200 mhz on core and +400 mhz on memory and i have this exact artifact...but...only a single one appears for a second and then instantly disappears. I've always used msaa or high. Never used ds methods. Will try tonight when i get home. Oh and this happens every track; every time. About once or twice per lap.

and i never get any other artifacts in any other game with this oc... never.
I get the same with a gtx 970 no overclock using msaa

knotme
12-06-2015, 07:23
i got those on the amd beta driver and it was messed up so i reverted back to current stable and although a few less frames.. that 'fog' is gone. it was like the bright white reflections took a while to fade out. :(

SunBro
12-06-2015, 07:32
I get the same with a gtx 970 no overclock using msaa

Oh, so it's not my oc. Good to know. If it was like op, i would be royally pissed but thankfully, in my case, they only flash for a second and disappear instantly. Best of luck to you op!(and any other victim of this obnoxious bug)

icebear
12-06-2015, 07:43
It is produced by "MSAA" and "High" if I recall correctly, no problem with DS2X anti-aliasing method.

thanks a lot

moved to ds2x and no more artifacts :)

Bealdor
12-06-2015, 08:03
Oh, so it's not my oc. Good to know. If it was like op, i would be royally pissed but thankfully, in my case, they only flash for a second and disappear instantly. Best of luck to you op!(and any other victim of this obnoxious bug)

Those are the infamous "photographer" flashes. They're also caused by MSAA antialiasing modes (MSAA, HIGH, DS2M).

SunBro
12-06-2015, 08:29
Those are the infamous "photographer" flashes. They're also caused by MSAA antialiasing modes (MSAA, HIGH, DS2M).

That's the thing. If those flashes appeared on track side, i'd say "wow, sms put photographers on the sides of tracks, how realistic" But these flashes appear right in front of me.

Well, any suggestions that would match the quality of msaa? ds4x maybe? Or should i force aa through nvidia control panel?

edit: i wasn't around during the wmd days, does anyone know if sms will fix this or is this a permanent side effect of msaa? because if this is permanent, i'm moving the f*** away from msaa. These things are distracting.

N0body Of The Goat
06-08-2015, 10:37
I've just discovered at least one cause of these bright patches, when using "MSAA," while driving around Spa in the RUF GT3 on a "clear" Xmas Day 2015 @ ~0200 in cockpit cam...

The "street lights" on the left, approaching the Bus Stop Chicane!

Depending upon the car orientation to those lights on the left, these artifacts can change in size. If I change the car direction, so that a "street light" passes across the windscreen, it leaves a blurred bright trail patch.

Which makes me wonder if this is somehow "motion blur" related. Just now I had "medium" blure enabled.

Sea Skimmer
09-09-2015, 15:05
I don't know if this needs fixing or some programmer thought this looks good (it doesn't)

Its very distracting when playing in this view and those "foo fighter" lights don't fade until im usually half way round the track.

There's also this which is another off putting piece of lighting.

Its fine if your watching a replay but not so good if your actually racing.

Charger
09-09-2015, 16:13
The search function is handy, it's a known issue http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30876-Answered-MSAA-white-glow-artifact-with-amd-gpu&highlight=artifacts

AudioSlave92210
09-09-2015, 16:19
Aurora borealis?

Sea Skimmer
09-09-2015, 16:28
white glow artifact with amd gpu ? is not really the heading I would have searched for, I think weird lighting is a much plainer broader definition. The search function doesn't always lead you to everything you might want to find,maybe you could work on that ?

Charger
09-09-2015, 20:10
Type in 'Artifacts' that is what I did.

I don't know if it's specific to AMD either and I wasn't being pedantic I was trying to help :)

Bealdor
10-09-2015, 05:48
Threads merged.

N0body Of The Goat
10-09-2015, 07:43
On the AMD side, we are struggling with AA modes a little...

MSAA with these "light source bleed" patches
DS2M, which despite being initially fixed as per AMD's 15.8 release notes for me, now runs in "70s disco lights" patches every time

Sea Skimmer
10-09-2015, 10:23
Type in 'Artifacts' that is what I did.

I don't know if it's specific to AMD either and I wasn't being pedantic I was trying to help :)

That's the thing with typing you never can tell whether its sarcasm or not, but thanks for your help.

When one see's the word artefact or in the case of your American spelling 'artifact' one thinks of lost treasures found by an archaeologist not strange lighting in a computer game :p

Charger
10-09-2015, 15:25
When I was at school in the dark ages in the UK we were taught Artifact although I do know Artefact is the preferred spelling for the UK now but has only been so since the 90's when both were used before equally depending on where you were educated, either way to me to describe graphically anomalies I have always used Artifact/Artefact as a word to describe a multitude of issues with failing GPU's.

Anyway did it help? As we don't know if you are Nvidia or AMD?

Sea Skimmer
10-09-2015, 18:48
No problems with DS2X method.and thanks for merging :)

pargiNOS
15-09-2015, 14:26
I had the same issue, try to turn bloom off, that worked for me and I use AA modes High and DS2M.

N0body Of The Goat
15-09-2015, 15:42
I had the same issue, try to turn bloom off, that worked for me and I use AA modes High and DS2M.

Turning bloom "off" does indeed fix 70s disco lighting for DS2M. :)

So, is this now an SMS bug rather than an AMD driver bug? ;)

Not tried MSAA yet with bloom "off."