PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster T300RS or T500RS ... which is better??

SketchyRacer
12-06-2015, 09:22
so i've been told the T500RS is better than the 300... but reading on the web the 300 is the "official" PS4 wheel... what are the drawbacks to either or??

and which would people recommend and why?

thanks in advance!

SR.

Voxen
12-06-2015, 09:36
The T300RS is a better wheel for PS4 but its stock pedals are crappy, so you'll need to buy the T3PA or T3PA-Pro to get the best package.

Ally_bassman
12-06-2015, 10:18
I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the T300rs compared with the T500, maybe the pedals but I find the T300rs pedals perfectly fine for now.

Putting a squash ball behind the brake pedal can help give you more 'feel' and modulation.

Slicker_VR
12-06-2015, 10:50
i chose to buy t500 rather than 300 for 3 reasons 1) the pedalset is far better (although as already said they can be upgraded later - you will then probably be spending more overall) - 2) the feedback is stronger - and 3) 12" is always better than 11 ;)
the only drawback is not being able to navigate ps4 menus with wheel - but it's no problem to have a joypad sitting beside you for that.
overall i would say the t500 is the better option, and if you shop around you can get it for not much more than t300 (i paid 269 for mine)

Luke Townsend
12-06-2015, 10:59
T500 feedback is stronger than T300 for sure, but I have a T300 and I have to turn its force feedback down to 75% strength (or 60% for a longer race). That is plenty and means T300 is smaller and lighter so takes up a little less space (if that is a consideration). Both are great wheels but feedback strength is not something to consider when choosing, I would suggest. I prefer the T300 paddles on the wheel, compared to the T500 which are fixed to the base and do not rotate. But definitely the pedals that come with the T500 are better than the ones with the T300. Can't go wrong with either I think, and they both bases accept other Thrustmaster wheels, e.g. 28 leather wheel, F1 wheel and others.

SketchyRacer
12-06-2015, 12:06
T500 feedback is stronger than T300 for sure, but I have a T300 and I have to turn its force feedback down to 75% strength (or 60% for a longer race). That is plenty and means T300 is smaller and lighter so takes up a little less space (if that is a consideration). Both are great wheels but feedback strength is not something to consider when choosing, I would suggest. I prefer the T300 paddles on the wheel, compared to the T500 which are fixed to the base and do not rotate. But definitely the pedals that come with the T500 are better than the ones with the T300. Can't go wrong with either I think, and they both bases accept other Thrustmaster wheels, e.g. 28 leather wheel, F1 wheel and others.

this is the sort of info i'm after.... i'm thinking of going down the route of the 300RS... then at a later date upgrading the pedals and stick shift... maybe even down the route of the leather wheel... if i don't get the stock one recovered before then... lol

my only other question is ... as the wheels are interchangeable... would the 300RS wheel work on the 500RS and allow the PS4 navigation? ( i assume not.. but just an idea)

DJBLITZKRIEG
12-06-2015, 15:59
Ive had the T500 since it was first released. Been using it everyday. Another reason to get it is the wheel size is more realistic. The T300 has a childishly small wheel which is about the size of an outstretched hand. Plus the pedals are way better than the 300.

SketchyRacer
12-06-2015, 16:06
Ive had the T500 since it was first released. Been using it everyday. Another reason to get it is the wheel size is more realistic. The T300 has a childishly small wheel which is about the size of an outstretched hand. Plus the pedals are way better than the 300.

but can the wheels not be changed out? ... spotted that they do a leather GT wheel... i take it that would be better?

one thing i like about the 300rs is the share button on it... is this something that can be mapped on the 500RS ... or can you simply not navigate the menus full stop?

Luke Townsend
12-06-2015, 16:23
but can the wheels not be changed out? ... spotted that they do a leather GT wheel... i take it that would be better?

I have the T300RS and that leather GT wheel (28cm (11 inch) diameter - same size as the wheel that comes with the T300RS). Lovely wheel but a bit pricey. Personally I like the smaller diameter of these. Reminds me of the steering wheel in a Formula Ford single seater, the only racing car I've driven, and also its the same size as the wheel in a Caterham Seven I used to run around in too. So wheel size is personal preference.

Fight-Test
12-06-2015, 18:57
I have the t300 and did alot of research and went with it after hearing how smooth it is compared to the t500. That was really the only thing that made me go the direction I did and I agree with the earlier poster that FFB level shouldn't matter in your purchase. Too high and wheel clips and you lose alot of sensation in the wheel. I have my ffb at 100 but I have other settings turned down so im not even at full capacity, as I would say im around 80%. You can actually get the t300 to rip your damn arms around but you have to set alot of stuff really high and it clips like crazy. I already have my t3pa pros and they are amazing amazing amazing. I had done the RC shock mod to the t300 base pedals and it improved them greatly but not compared to the t3pa's. I would say the stock pedals are about a 25 out of 100. With RC mod I would say 55 out of 100. t3pa pros I would say 90 out of 100. They also made a load cell you can buy for the T3PA's if you wanna drop the dime on that. Some guys swear by the load cell but Im good with the brake mod that came with pedals.

I personally wouldnt spend the money on the leather wheel as its not even a upgrade. Its pretty much the same wheel with less ease to use the ps4. You can wrap the base wheel with leather and you can find plenty info on it if you google. Someone made a template also for cutting out the your material and it will fit perfect.

I use the F1 rim from thrustmaster on my t300 and its much better than the round wheel. I think for me its the fact that its wider and my arms aren't angled inward as much to hold the wheel. Im much faster with the F1 rim also but thats probably just because its comfortable for me. It also gives you many more buttons to map controls too. They weigh the same so no issues with it effecting the inertia of the wheel. I also have a playseat sv and a buttkicker and the setup as a whole is amazing. very immersive and I never want to stop at night.

Luke Townsend
12-06-2015, 20:59
I already have my t3pa pros and they are amazing amazing amazing. I had done the RC shock mod to the t300 base pedals and it improved them greatly but not compared to the t3pa's. I would say the stock pedals are about a 25 out of 100. With RC mod I would say 55 out of 100. t3pa pros I would say 90 out of 100. They also made a load cell you can buy for the T3PA's if you wanna drop the dime on that. Some guys swear by the load cell but Im good with the brake mod that came with pedals.

That's good to know! I'm thinking about upgrading to the T3PA PRO pedals so it sounds like they are worth the money!

I personally wouldnt spend the money on the leather wheel as its not even a upgrade. Its pretty much the same wheel with less ease to use the ps4.

As far as I can tell it's identical to the T300GTE wheel in terms of buttons so should be as good as that is with the PS4 (I have a PC so not really up on this). Page is here: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/tm-leather-28-gt-wheel-add-0 - just more comfortable for me than the original rubber wheel but yes if you can wrap the original wheel in leather that sounds a good approach.

I use the F1 rim from thrustmaster on my t300 and its much better than the round wheel. I think for me its the fact that its wider and my arms aren't angled inward as much to hold the wheel.

F1 wheel looks great and the number of buttons is fantastic. I think it's fun to have both the GT style and F1 style wheels for different types of cars - changing them takes a minute or two and gives you a different driving experience.

Fight-Test
12-06-2015, 21:04
luke, im loving the pedals. Made a huge difference. I'm racing them in GT style and they feel wonderful. They come at a cost but once you have them you won't care. You can always get the load cell down the road if you feel they are lacking in any way but the cell is almost as much as pedals.

I haven't driven the rim you have and im sure its nice. I know it got good reviews. If it would have been bigger than original I would of thought about it but since they are same I figured the f1 would be a better get. I like having both also. I was gonna run them real to the car I was driving but now I have so much mapped on the wheel I need I cant switch back.

Luke Townsend
12-06-2015, 21:15
luke, im loving the pedals. Made a huge difference. I'm racing them in GT style and they feel wonderful. They come at a cost but once you have them you won't care. You can always get the load cell down the road if you feel they are lacking in any way but the cell is almost as much as pedals.

I haven't driven the rim you have and im sure its nice. I know it got good reviews. If it would have been bigger than original I would of thought about it but since they are same I figured the f1 would be a better get. I like having both also. I was gonna run them real to the car I was driving but now I have so much mapped on the wheel I need I cant switch back.

I've been wondering last couple weeks whether or not to go for the PRO pedals, but tbh you've just clinched it for me with your very honest review, thanks! :) That leather rim is very nice, but pricewise it is quite hard to justify really! F1 rim looks the business and I can understand once you have gotten used to it and allocated its many buttons and switches, it would be hard to go back to a rim with less of those. So for me I think the PRO pedals are next on my list, and maybe the F1 wheel down the road. The only original part of the T300RS will be the base! :D Wish Thrustmaster sold the base separately so we could choose rim and pedals.

SketchyRacer
14-06-2015, 20:31
got myself the t300rs over the weekend with a playseat challenge :)

makes the experience so so much better... think i need to tweak the ffb setings .. it's my first one so not too sure what i should and shouldn't be feeling... what do you guys mean by clipping?

...also gonna look at the pedal mod and the template for wrapping the wheel... think a nice suede would be nice :) lol

jason
14-06-2015, 21:37
I have a t500 its a very robust wheel with superstrong forcefeedback if you decide to use it like that , It can be a little heavy for my liking in some games .

Great with project cars because there are so many tuning options with a wheel in game.

207775 207776

SketchyRacer
15-06-2015, 10:13
i can't seem to find the template for the wheel :( .... anyone got a link?

PureMalt77
15-06-2015, 13:07
I went for T300RS mainly because of 2 reasons
1. PS4 full compatibility, as at the start there were many reports about the T500
2. In the T300, the paddle-shifter move with the wheel. The T500 is "Ferrari-like" and shifters are fixed. I find hard to shift when your hands are turned over 180 .

zennmeister
15-06-2015, 18:53
Mount the GTE addon wheel onto the t500 if you want rotating paddles.
Removing the static shifters only require a screwdriver and 15 minutes of your time.

The inability to directly attach the th8a and future console compatibility of the t500 are really my only concerns.

WorkTL
16-06-2015, 05:13
I got the T300 and upgraded to GTE and F1 wheel, also 3PA pedals. Biggest reason was TH8A compatibility.

I also did not like the fixed paddle shifters.

AngelBrow
16-06-2015, 12:41
Only wheel ive raced with is Logitech ForceGT.

Im looking to get the Thrusting 300rs. They had a copy out of the box in my local shop. Just on a shelf tho... had a feel of the wheel. Feels good.

Whats wrong with the pedals tho guys? I havent raced with them. Why does everyone upgrade? Is it cos the brake pedal is to stiff?
Does the Pro pedals have a realfeel? Just want to know what you guys say.

How much are the pro pedals?
Amazon.de dont have em in stock. So cant see a price.

Luke Townsend
16-06-2015, 13:30
Whats wrong with the pedals tho guys? I havent raced with them. Why does everyone upgrade? Is it cos the brake pedal is to stiff?
Does the Pro pedals have a realfeel? Just want to know what you guys say.

How much are the pro pedals?
Amazon.de dont have em in stock. So cant see a price.

I had a Logitech DFGT before my T300RS too - the T300RS pedals are like the Logitech DFGT pedals but a bit better so you might find them ok. Problem is the brake pedal has no progressive resistance - it is stiffer than the accelerator, but it moves too easily when you press it all the way. So it is the same problem as the DFGT pedals - it is hard to judge how much to press before the brakes lock up.

There are 2 Thurstmaster upgrade pedals sets for the T300RS - T3PA and T3PA-PRO. T3PA is 90 GB Pounds and T3PA-PRO is 150 GB Pounds (sorry, don't know the prices in Euros). Both in short supply currently, but you'll be ok with the T300RS pedals for a while I think if you decide to upgrade.

AngelBrow
16-06-2015, 13:40
Thanks for the info. Is there like force feedback in the pro pedals? You feel on the pedals when you lock up?
I get the wheel and see how I get on with the stock pedals.

Luke Townsend
16-06-2015, 13:45
There is no force feedback in any Thrustmaster pedals. When the front wheels lock up, you feel the steering wheel get loose. This is because the front wheels are no longer gripping the road. You don't really feel any feedback through the pedals of a real car but I think there are some other brands of pedals that rumble when the wheels lock (to simulate traction control) but I don't have details.