PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Advice - Choosing between T300 and G29

Lanius1984
12-06-2015, 09:28
With the announcement that Logitech are bringing the new G29 out in July, and the fact that this is priced exactly the same as the Thrustmaster T300. I need to decide which to go for.

These are my thoughts so far:
- The Thrustmaster is out of stock everywhere in the UK, so delivery times are 1-2 months. Therefore, both of these wheels will probably be available around the same time.
- I had a Logitech DFGT for PS3, I am pissed off at Logitech as I believe they have held off legacy support to milk money from the G29... I don't believe in brand loyalty, so would actually switch for the right reasons.
- Looking at reviews of the T300, it seems most people feel that it is a step up from the old G27 in terms of performance and quality (pedals aside)... it seems that the G29 has the same core construction inside as the G27...
With that in mind, is it likely that the T300 will be technically the better wheel?
- I have also seen some users complain about reliability on the T300 though. How do these companies compare on that front, and which offers a safer bet to put 300 on?

I don't necessarily intend to get a separate shifter, so I don't really care about the pedals and additional options. The core unit and force feedback performance are my main concern, and following that I think reliability is important at this price point in particular.

Can anyone offer any advice? I appreciate that nobody has used a G29 as yet, so a lot of the feedback may be in comparison to the G27, that's fine if we are assuming it's mechanically similar to the G29 (unless I'm wrong here?)

daddyboosive
12-06-2015, 09:38
You can't compare the two at this moment in time. Due to the G29 not being available for purchase atm. You would obviously have to wait till its released to conduct a proper comparison of pros and cons.

T300's are available btw. I've just ordered one with a playseat challenge for 420 from playseatstore.co.uk. Should be here mid next week. Perfect time for the patch :D. Fanatecs are awesome too btw. But obviously a hell of a lot more expensive.

Lanius1984
12-06-2015, 10:46
Can anyone offer any advice? I appreciate that nobody has used a G29 as yet, so a lot of the feedback may be in comparison to the G27, that's fine if we are assuming it's mechanically similar to the G29 (unless I'm wrong here?)

I originally highlighted that very thing. Given that it is using the same internals as the G27, there is still plenty of advice to be given here. I haven't used the T300 or a G27, I've only had a Logitech DFGT.

daddyboosive
12-06-2015, 11:13
If the issues have been rectified in the patch. I'd go for the T300 mate.

oRuin
12-06-2015, 12:31
In the same situation. Waiting on some G29 reviews before doing anything. Hopefully reviewers will have them soon.

chig88
12-06-2015, 12:46
I'd go for the T300, mainly because Logitech have royally screwed over you and many others (myself included) by not supporting the older wheels. I'd be willing to bet that they've only slightly upgraded the G27 and re-labelled it G29 in order to cash in.

I've got the T300 and I can say that in my experience it is a definite upgrade on the G27. The only downside is the pedals. They're not as bad as some people make out, but if you have the money to upgrade to the better Thrustmaster sets or get hold of some from the G27 and and adapter it would be worth your while.

djhonda
12-06-2015, 13:05
OP, you forgot about one important fact: G29 is ugly AF. Plus the fact that they have priced g27 tech in a new wrap minus the shifter as 150% of g27 is kinda frustrating as well. Greedy looses twice.

PureMalt77
12-06-2015, 13:32
Logitech has disappointed me. Made my G27 useless. Does not allow FM upgrade, that plastic H-shifter was a joke.

TM is not at the same level as Fanatec, but IMO better than Logitech.

ghosty5700
12-06-2015, 14:14
So I have a GTE wheel and have done about 60hrs + with project cars and have had no issues with the wheel, I think i had one from the second batch of wheels released as it already had the latest firmware, I find that the wheel is smooth and sturdy and its good that the shifters rotate with the wheel. The pedals are ok no worse than the driving force GT but i will be looking to upgrade the pedals as i could do with the resistance for the brake.

I kinda took the plunge with this and bought it with a play seat before the game was released i would say if you have the space go for it as the experience is very cool.

if you have any other questions about the wheel let me know.

DnBasshead007
12-06-2015, 14:21
I'd say go for the T300. The internals of the G29 are the same as the G27 so you are basically paying the same price as a T300 for a wheel thats 10 years old. I took the plunge 2 weeks ago and bought a T300 along with the T3PA pedals and Playseat Challenge and have been very impressed.

Lanius1984
12-06-2015, 15:36
So I have a GTE wheel and have done about 60hrs + with project cars and have had no issues with the wheel, I think i had one from the second batch of wheels released as it already had the latest firmware, I find that the wheel is smooth and sturdy and its good that the shifters rotate with the wheel. The pedals are ok no worse than the driving force GT but i will be looking to upgrade the pedals as i could do with the resistance for the brake.

I kinda took the plunge with this and bought it with a play seat before the game was released i would say if you have the space go for it as the experience is very cool.

if you have any other questions about the wheel let me know.

Thanks for the advice. One thing I'd be interested to get an opinion on is how 'maneuverable' the wheel is when having to very quickly correct you car.

This is something I struggled with when using my Driving Force GT, as I felt it was quite mechanical (and noisy as hell) when trying to change direction quickly. Quite often, I'd end up not turning the wheel quickly enough and losing control.