PDA

View Full Version : Sunset, evening racing and mid race rain.

justsyr
12-06-2015, 15:41
I get it. Effects are cute. But having them in every race kind of get tiresome.
Every race starts at evening, yeah let's have the sun hanging in there for 5 laps. That's not how sunset works, sun hides in a matter of very few minutes, not 10 always hanging in there.
Then we have the rain. Why is that every game has the same issue: mid race rain, that's cute, oh only just affects you, since grip is gone of course since, well, wet surface, that's ok, but why AI keeps going like nothing?
And then we have both things just in case you missed the nice effects: rain and sun flares, more flares than a JJ Abrams movie.

Can we have a custom setting for time of the race and rain chance? After about 4 months worth in calendar races I only had the kart races without rain, but, erm, they are always at evening.

Sonic6L
12-06-2015, 15:44
Michael Bay would be a more appropriate reference I feel ;).

BellCurve
12-06-2015, 15:46
Effects are cute?

This is the best looking racing game ever made.

Raven403
12-06-2015, 16:07
Effects are cute?

This is the best looking racing game ever made.

I think his wording is born of frustration. I too agree it gets a bit old. I feel like every race I do in Career it rains, but not just that it only rains for like 2 laps, so by the time you switch tires its dry again. And sometimes if that happens in Quali it kills the whole session, you waste 2 FULL laps changing tires in Quali, so it gets a bit annoying.

apreston48
12-06-2015, 16:58
Some people are just never satisfied. This is the best visual presentation of weather I have ever seen in any game. Have you actually driven into the sun or seen a race that has the sun effecting it? It is pretty spot on. Also, the AI grip issue will be released in the patch. I'm sure the rate at which it changes is dependent on the setting of your race length. Set it too low for only a 5 lap race, then expect a weather change about every lap. Should there be a setting or built-in capability that on shorter race lengths it reduces the number of weather changes (assuming my assumption is correct), maybe so, but I don't think it warrants a rash complaint. It's not every race. I was racing yesterday and the sun set over Dubai in a few minutes. Go out today at sunset and stare at the sun (with glasses of course, let's be realistic here) and tell me how long it takes to go down. I'm sure it will be closer to 10 mins.

What is funny about all of this is that your screenshot is beautiful.

Dents27
12-06-2015, 17:08
I get it. Effects are cute. But having them in every race kind of get tiresome.
Every race starts at evening, yeah let's have the sun hanging in there for 5 laps. That's not how sunset works, sun hides in a matter of very few minutes, not 10 always hanging in there.
Then we have the rain. Why is that every game has the same issue: mid race rain, that's cute, oh only just affects you, since grip is gone of course since, well, wet surface, that's ok, but why AI keeps going like nothing?
And then we have both things just in case you missed the nice effects: rain and sun flares, more flares than a JJ Abrams movie.

Can we have a custom setting for time of the race and rain chance? After about 4 months worth in calendar races I only had the kart races without rain, but, erm, they are always at evening.

Just want to say that the picture is a sunrise not a sunset as it is on the east side of the track.

Raven403
12-06-2015, 17:16
Some people are just never satisfied. This is the best visual presentation of weather I have ever seen in any game. Have you actually driven into the sun or seen a race that has the sun effecting it? It is pretty spot on. Also, the AI grip issue will be released in the patch. I'm sure the rate at which it changes is dependent on the setting of your race length. Set it too low for only a 5 lap race, then expect a weather change about every lap. Should there be a setting or built-in capability that on shorter race lengths it reduces the number of weather changes (assuming my assumption is correct), maybe so, but I don't think it warrants a rash complaint. It's not every race. I was racing yesterday and the sun set over Dubai in a few minutes. Go out today at sunset and stare at the sun (with glasses of course, let's be realistic here) and tell me how long it takes to go down. I'm sure it will be closer to 10 mins.

Not saying its not beautiful, and I think his Screenshot was just a visual aid for him to clarify what hes talking about. I think his wording is based in frustration I dont think its RASH. I too have noticed alot of the same thing, it always seems to be the same time of day/ weather, and that can get tiresome. Not sure how that makes us UNSATISFIED, just an opinion. I think having a setting to change weather in career makes sense and thats what he was really getting at...... and you agreed with that yourself.

And to clarify i still enjoy the game, its just little things you notice that you want to point out. Anything that helps make the game better for EVERYONE is a good thing....

apreston48
12-06-2015, 17:37
I will agree to disagree with myself and agree with your last line. :)

justsyr
12-06-2015, 18:46

Just like Raven said, I do like graphics a lot. There's nothing wrong with them. I just think that having to race every race (I might be wrong but I had about 15 races give or take) with the sunset (or sunrise, I apologize since I don't know the geography of Silverston) on your eyes half of the lap sometimes.
I watch almost every racing class that I can, from Nascar (yes) to Formula Renault to Le Mans tomorrow. I've been playing games since Indycar game from early 90's ranging to Codemasters Indy, EA's Nascars, NFS, Sport Cars. I've moded tracks and cars for a lot of games, yeah, I'm old. My point is, I have never watched or played a game with so many sunsets. As in every race.
I understand the difficulty factor that drivers have to endure and I really appreciate the detail, I don't think there's another game that represents it this well. However, it gets tiresome because no matter if you set for 2 to 10 laps, to 1 hour or 6, you get way too many laps of the sun right there, just about to hide, something that does not happen, ever, anywhere. So it gets frustrating when you are 7 laps into the race enduring those 7 laps with the sun in your eyes and miss brake for a few inches and crash because a wrong technicality. I own the mistake, if it was my mistake, not some bad design (overlooked).
I like the game, even over some other one similar that's around (AC). But I'm getting tired of seeing that the race is going to be at 7PM.

I like weather changes. It adds to the immersion. But hey, every race? As I said, I've watched racing (moto racing too) since the 80s and I have never ever seen rain at Laguna Seca. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just didn't witness any and I've seen a lot of races there.
Also they should tune up the grip thing, it has to be equal for all, not just for me. I'm glad that it's going to be patched if what you say is correct.
Sorry if sounded too harsh, didn't mean it.

LordDRIFT
12-06-2015, 19:23
People complain when there is no weather , now they get it they complain. AI performance in weather is the only valid complaint. The real frustration is the weather only handicaps you not the weather itself.

Raven403
12-06-2015, 20:12
People complain when there is no weather , now they get it they complain. AI performance in weather is the only valid complaint. The real frustration is the weather only handicaps you not the weather itself.

Firstly, no one is complaining about THE WEATHER. The complaint is about the frequency of the same weather pattern. So no, your statement is incorrect, you don't determine what's a "valid complaint" for someone else.

k.merse
12-06-2015, 20:14
EDIT: Nevermind I've found it :)

The game indeed feels like a bit too obsessed with itscool features like graphics and weather and it seems that every single event is scripted to have a little everything in it. I just recently had a rainstorm in Dubai. I bet they didn't see that much fresh water in the past 20 years. But in every race weekend in the career there is an event when you can't see anything because the sun is at so low, there is some mist or rain during the quailfying and there is almost always a bit of rain during the race.

Raven403
12-06-2015, 20:15
Turning down the Bloom effect should help a good deal

k.merse
13-06-2015, 05:34
And the lens flares. You can see lens flares only if you look through a - duh - lens of a camera, but not if you're racing and all you wear is your helmet....

dustyjo
13-06-2015, 07:42
There's an option to turn lens flare off in interior views.